You do know that they" sold" it to Brookfield, who are part of the recent investor Group headed by Fairfax?
    But, BlackBerry no longer owns it.
    03-11-14 11:41 PM
    But, BlackBerry no longer owns it.
    Technically they sold it to themselves.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 11:47 PM
    No. Actually, technically they sold it to a holdings company. Regardless of association.
    03-12-14 12:04 AM
    No. Actually, technically they sold it to a holdings company. Regardless of association.
    Whatever the term, fancy/creative accounting?, incestuous?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 12:07 AM
    Whatever the term.....
    Whatever the term....
    As I initially stated. BlackBerry no longer owns those assets.
    Hence; they did not sell it to themselves.
    03-12-14 12:10 AM
    Whatever the term....
    As I initially stated. BlackBerry no longer owns those assets.
    Hence; they did not sell it to themselves.
    I have stated Brookfield is also a shareholder of BlackBerry discern as one is entitled to glean interpret as one may wish.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 12:13 AM
    I have stated Brookfield is also a shareholder of BlackBerry discern as one is entitled to glean interpret as one may wish.
    I have. You were the one quoting me. Not the other way around.

This site is part of the Mobile Nations. Under a single umbrella.
    If Kevin sells of his sales department to Mobile Nations, does that mean Kevin sold his sales department to himself?
    Guess again...
    03-12-14 12:19 AM

No they did not. If they do not own it any more, they no longer can claim it as an asset, they no longer have any control over its destiny.

If they sold it to an arm of Fairfax, you might look at that as an additional investment by Fairfax in the company, but even that is not true because Fairfax has no right to expect BlackBerry to provide a return on that investment, other than rent if they stay there.

The advantage of doing it that way is that it takes away some of the risk of a new landlord kicking the company out, etc.

Now if Fairfax decides to charge them no rent or below-market rent, then it's more like an investment in BBRY. Which is their right. Fairfax doesn't just provide them free money, Watsa wouldn't be doing all of this just to throw that capital into the toilet.
    03-12-14 12:20 AM
    No they did not. If they do not own it any more, they no longer can claim it as an asset, they no longer have any control over its destiny.

If they sold it to an arm of Fairfax, you might look at that as an additional investment by Fairfax in the company, but even that is not true because Fairfax has no right to expect BlackBerry to provide a return on that investment, other than rent if they stay there.

The advantage of doing it that way is that it takes away some of the risk of a new landlord kicking the company out, etc.

Now if Fairfax decides to charge them no rent or below-market rent, then it's more like an investment in BBRY. Which is their right. Fairfax doesn't just provide them free money, Watsa wouldn't be doing all of this just to throw that capital into the toilet.
    It's called strategic alliances / planning. ,I doubt that they will be giving BlackBerry a discounted rate. What's going on with lots of assets being absorbed by the investors means if and when BlackBerry becomes viable they will be able to repurchase their previously owned real estate. Its NOT uncommon for my Holdings company to "purchase " the under performing subsidiary's asset to "inject funding", when that under performing arm becomes viable again. I resell them the asset acquired. I agree they aren't doing this "throwing " money down the drain. I believe it's still Fairfax 's plan to take the company private .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 03-12-14 at 09:59 AM.
    03-12-14 09:19 AM
    It's called strategic alliances / planning. ,I doubt that they will be giving BlackBerry a discounted rate. What's going on with lots of assets being absorbed by the investors means if and when BlackBerry becomes viable they will be able to repurchase their previously owned real estate. Its NOT uncommon for my Holdings company to "purchase " the under performing subsidiary's asset to "inject funding", when that under performing arm becomes viable again. I resell them the asset acquired. I agree they aren't doing this "throwing " money down the drain. I believe it's still Fairfax 's plan to take the company private still.

Posted via CB10
    Everything you are currently saying may be true. However, that was not your initial claim. You stated BlackBerry sold the assets to themselves. That is not the case. As you stated, they may be able to repurchase their sold assets in the future if fiscally possible. If that is the case BlackBerry cannot currently own the assets if they have to buy them back again, correct??? I understand you may have some strong feelings about it, but changing the subject won't change reality.

BlackBerry does not own the assets currently and did not sell the assets to themselves.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 09:43 AM
    Everything you are currently saying may be true. However, that was not your initial claim. You stated BlackBerry sold the assets to themselves. That is not the case. As you stated, they may be able to repurchase their sold assets in the future if fiscally possible. If that is the case BlackBerry cannot currently own the assets if they have to buy them back again, correct??? I understand you may have some strong feelings about it, but changing the subject won't change reality.

BlackBerry does not own the assets currently and did not sell the assets to themselves.

Posted via CB10
    OMG yes you are right for all purposes it's sold, it's NOT on their books anymore, I am NOT changing the topic. Its called a Business move / maneuvering. There are many large Corps that have done this nothing new here. It has the effect of 1. Injecting capital into ailing company and 2."protection " of assets if there is any unpleasant eventualities. Brookfield is already an investor under the Fairfax investment Group. Try to keep up with what I'm saying or NOT saying please.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 09:58 AM
    OMG yes you are right for all purposes it's sold, it's NOT on their books anymore, I am NOT changing the topic. Its called a Business move / maneuvering. There are many large Corps that have done this nothing new here. It has the effect of 1. Injecting capital into ailing company and 2."protection " of assets if there is any unpleasant eventualities. Brookfield is already an investor under the Fairfax investment Group. Try to keep up with what I'm saying or NOT saying please.

Posted via CB10
    You're hilarious!!! You are saying a whole lot about the situation when simply put, BlackBerry no longer owns the assets. Everything else is inconsequential. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 11:04 AM
    I wonder if it came across your mind that maybe YOU shouldn't have jumped in to state otherwise? LOL! Get outta here with that crap.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 11:07 AM
    I wonder if it came across your mind that maybe YOU shouldn't have jumped in to state otherwise? LOL! Get outta here with that crap.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I concur

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 11:13 AM
    There are so many thread like this. US market seems need to leave carriers based market for selling smartphones. Sells smartphone without contract and let customers choose what smartphone and carriers that fit to their needs.

Leave the smartphone selling to wholesalers, gadget shop, supermarket, etc, but not carriers. You still can get payment installment by using credit card or leased companies.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 11:59 AM
    There are so many thread like this. US market seems need to leave carriers based market for selling smartphones. Sells smartphone without contract and let customers choose what smartphone and carriers that fit to their needs.

Leave the smartphone selling to wholesalers, gadget shop, supermarket, etc, but not carriers. You still can get payment installment by using credit card or leased companies.

Posted via CB10
    Just like it's done in Nigeria...SIMPLE!

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141 "The iPhone Nemesis"
    03-12-14 12:51 PM
    Leave the smartphone selling to wholesalers, gadget shop, supermarket, etc, but not carriers. You still can get payment installment by using credit card or leased

It's not going to happen because these large, wealthy, powerful companies do this specifically to bind customers to them, and they lobby politicians heavily to keep it this way.

In addition, most Yankees are stupid about things like this, when they see "free phone" they think it is actually free, but it is not.

And because people here are infamously unaware of places outside the USA, they are largely ignorant of the fact that they are paying the highest mobile service prices in the world, which is what subsidizes those "free" phones.
    03-12-14 02:23 PM
    BB is already selling phones direct and unlocked on their website. They did this all last quarter, and had their lowest sales in a decade. Why? Because very, very few people in the US buy phones unlocked at full retail - 98% of them buy their phones subsidized from their carrier. That isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Also, BB doesn't provide any direct customer support, so if you buy direct, you are totally on your own. BB won't even take a support call unless you are transferred to them by your carrier.

That's the reality: in the US, if you aren't working with the carriers, you aren't likely to sell a ton of phones, and you certainly won't get support. BB needs the carriers far more than the carriers need BB. Folks here need to realize that before they suggest that BB should violate their carrier contracts and do things like update OSs directly. That could result in the carriers refusing to activate any new BBs on their network, and then where is BB going to be, when their customers can't get cell service in the US?
    03-12-14 02:41 PM
    It's amazing how far people will stretch things into bizarre shapes to make them fit their preconceptions.

"See - the fact that this guy who maintains file servers or configures desktop PCs for the HR department or accounting staff says people in the company still have BlackBerries means the sales rep was lying about BlackBerry sales in their stores!!"

Do you even know what "I.T. staff" means? Hint: it does NOT generally mean: "Cellular-network qualification tester".

Eric Schmidt still uses a BlackBerry too. Doesn't mean that Google is going to dump Android and switch their customers over to BlackBerry 10.
    In this case, IT means network engineer. Sprint doesn't have IT staff that configures computers for HR and accounting, that is all contracted out. That is irrelevant to the issue. My point simply was, that if Sprint intended to do away with Blackberry, we would have been informed.
    03-12-14 05:09 PM
    In this case, IT means network engineer. Sprint doesn't have IT staff that configures computers for HR and accounting, that is all contracted out. That is irrelevant to the issue. My point simply was, that if Sprint intended to do away with Blackberry, we would have been informed.

OK, I'll take that at face value - especially since I doubt Sprint got rid of Blackberry either, at least so far.

But just curious: do network engineers get told every time the product mix in stores changes?
    03-12-14 05:23 PM
    No. The individual products don't mean much to us. The platforms do. Blackberry accesses the network in a different manner than does Android, or iOS. Slightly. Whe we have to troubleshoot Blackberry issues, we have different software we have to run. The voice and data protocols are all the same but Blackberry has some inherent differences due to their high security profile. It's too complicated to get into really. However, IF they had/have plans to do away with the platform, they would have to give us advance notice, I am 'guessing' of at minimum, one year.

I understand how that could be the impression. Blackberry isn't exactly the going thing these days for the average Joe. I can see it becoming an under the counter item. That is, no display units, no advertising but available upon request. I have no hard data but I would guess 15-17% of our network is Blackberry. Not the numbers of the other two but still substantial. There are still entire companies and Government agencies that still run on Blackberry. I can't see it going away from us, or any carrier, other than possibly TM, soon.
    03-12-14 06:02 PM
    No. The individual products don't mean much to us. The platforms do. Blackberry accesses the network in a different manner than does Android, or iOS. Slightly. Whe we have to troubleshoot Blackberry issues, we have different software we have to run. The voice and data protocols are all the same but Blackberry has some inherent differences due to their high security profile. It's too complicated to get into really. However, IF they had/have plans to do away with the platform, they would have to give us advance notice, I am 'guessing' of at minimum, one year.
    OK, this makes more sense. I assumed when you wrote "network engineer" it was more along the lines of "office networks", when you apparently meant "cellular network" or "customer network".

Yes, I realize BlackBerry has different network requirements. It's a subject of much debate here, actually. BIS in particular, since it requires special carrier provisioning. You may want to look at a FAQ I wrote on this, I would love to hear your input on some of the network aspects if it's something you are familiar with:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/

I have no hard data but I would guess 15-17% of our network is Blackberry. Not the numbers of the other two but still substantial. There are still entire companies and Government agencies that still run on Blackberry. I can't see it going away from us, or any carrier, other than possibly TM, soon.
    I agree, to some extent you are going to have to have specific infrastructural support for customers with legacy BIS devices for a while longer, no doubt about it. And as Blackberry's sales numbers decline, making those special accomodations is almost certainly feeling like more and more like a weight around a lot of carrier's necks that they would rather get rid of if they had their druthers.
    03-12-14 08:14 PM
    Sprint is garbage. It's why I dumped them for Verizon. Even after years their network still sux and At least Verizon carries all the BlackBerry devices.

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    03-12-14 10:38 PM
    Sprint is garbage. It's why I dumped them for Verizon. Even after years their network still sux and At least Verizon carries all the BlackBerry devices.

Sorry friend, it must be the area you live in because I disagree entirely about the network. Sprint is not carrying all of the BB10 devices, but ever since Sprint ditched WiMax and went LTE, the connectivity and speed has been incredible. I can't go anywhere without being in 4G at all times which is making me happy and man does it cook. I remember the old days of Sprint service and it was fairly awful but that is old news. Maybe I'm just fortunate that I live in an area where Sprint has complete LTE coverage.

My satisfaction with the network performance itself is why I'm still hanging on to see what they do next. I know that if they did drop BlackBerry I would be gone as well but seriously, Sprint has been a BlackBerry provider for so long and I'm doubting they'll quit serving them entirely. There's no way to know for sure how many businesses and larger corporations rely on Sprint and BlackBerry.

Anyway,
    All the best sir.
    03-13-14 12:05 AM
    Sorry friend, it must be the area you live in because I disagree entirely about the network. Sprint is not carrying all of the BB10 devices, but ever since Sprint ditched WiMax and went LTE, the connectivity and speed has been incredible. I can't go anywhere without being in 4G at all times which is making me happy and man does it cook. I remember the old days of Sprint service and it was fairly awful but that is old news. Maybe I'm just fortunate that I live in an area where Sprint has complete LTE coverage.

My satisfaction with the network performance itself is why I'm still hanging on to see what they do next. I know that if they did drop BlackBerry I would be gone as well but seriously, Sprint has been a BlackBerry provider for so long and I'm doubting they'll quit serving them entirely. There's no way to know for sure how many businesses and larger corporations rely on Sprint and BlackBerry.

Anyway,
    All the best sir.
    Sprint released 4G LTE here to and it's barely over 3g speeds and it's always in an out. I get over 30 mb download speeds on Verizon. Can easily run my 60in 1080p Led TV, laptop, desktop, and a tablet.

I remember waiting around for multiple phones to be released on Sprint that never came along with hoping for 4g for years. At least Verizon supports all of BlackBerry devices.

03-13-14 12:16 AM
101 ... 2345