Sprint to offer mobile hotspot on BlackBerry 7 devices in Q4
    RIM�s announcement of their first OS 7 BlackBerry devices was dampened a bit by the lack of the rumoured mobile hotspot function, but a leaked Sprint memo suggests the feature may be unlocked in a future firmware update due in the fourth quarter. The memo was issued because Sprint screwed up on the packaging for the BlackBerry Torch 9860 and listed the hotspot feature there. Presumably such a upgrade, once approved by carriers, would enable mobile hotspot on other OS 7 BlackBerry phones too, like the Torch 9810 and Bold 9900. Even the Curve 9360 should have it.

It�s not unheard of for carriers to block core features for BlackBerry devices, such as NFC on the new Bold. Mobile hotspot may be a particularly tricky feature for carriers to work in, be it because of new pricing options, battery optimization, or any number of other issues. It took awhile for iPhone to get it too, so I�m not particularly bitter about the wait. Given RIM�s obsession with efficiency, and the high demands of mobile broadband, I suspect that carriers will be happy about how little of a strain BlackBerry mobile hotspots will be on their networks.

We�ll be keeping an eye out for the first signs of hotspot-friendly firmware (be it official or otherwise), and with any luck, NFC on the 9900 will be unlocked soon too.
    09-13-11 03:04 PM
    09-14-11 07:25 AM
    What I don't get is why they block things from bb but not other manufacturers whos devices eat more data then bb or do they also block the same things on other phones?
    09-14-11 08:40 AM
    That would be a delightful addition to the lineup. Having Wi-Fi hotspot capability would make it a thumbs up moment to support my laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 08:53 AM
    While going through the checkout process on Verizon for a Torch 9850 there was a $20/month option listed for WiFi Hotspot. Nothing I'm interested in so I didn't look further but it that the same thing?

09-14-11 09:55 AM
    Look for AT&T to charge $40 a month for it.
    09-14-11 11:18 AM
    Once wind mobile gets the 9900 or sooner or later when they get it, this feature will not be charged for. Cause wind is a winner.

Sticking it out until my term is done. Hotspot will be a damn great feature once more carriers embrace it.

09-14-11 11:27 AM
    What I don't get is why they block things from bb but not other manufacturers whos devices eat more data then bb or do they also block the same things on other phones?
    It wouldn't surprise me if MHS wasn't a very high priority feature for the carriers, but was a new feature that was causing rim problems so it got pushed out to the next release to give them more time not to mention giving a clear feature benefit to the new software which might encourage carriers to promote the os7 devices a second time.
    09-14-11 01:25 PM
    Anyone think this feature will be hackable? Or able to be used without carrier knowledge?

09-14-11 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD