The following are instructions on how to use your Sprint Blackberry 8330 Curve as a bluetooth modem in Ubuntu 8.04. I was successful in getting this to work on a ancient Dell Inspiron 2500 running 8.04 Linux Kernel 2.6.24-22. My Curve is not your standard. Sprint 8330. I updated the OS to 4.5 using Alltell's Package Version: 4.5.0.122. I was getting impatient waiting on Sprint to release theirs. I hope this works for you and I would appreciate any feedback. I would like to give credit to bthoward at the following link for pointing me in the right direction http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...-linux-114019/:

sdptool browse your-phone-mac-address

Look for Service Name: Dial-up Networking. In this section you will find your device's particular channel.

gksudo gedit /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf

rfcomm0 {
    bind yes;
    device your-device-MAC Address;
    channel your-device-channel;
    comment "Bluetooth Modem Connection";
    }

gksudo gedit /etc/chatscripts/sprint

# abortstring
    ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT 'ERROR' ABORT. 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'BUSY' ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
    # modeminit
    '' ATZ
    # ispnumber
    OK-AT-OKL3 ATDT#777
    # ispconnect
    CONNECT \d\c

gksudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/sprint-blackberry

hide-password
    /dev/rfcomm0
    connect '/usr/sbin/chat -s -v "" "AT&F0E0V1S0=0" OK ATD#777 CONNECT'
    noauth
    defaultroute
    usepeerdns
    connect-delay 10000
    user USERNAME
    lock
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    lcp-echo-interval 65535

sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

THEN sudo pon sprint-blackberry TO CONNECT

I want to know if anyone has experienced their Blackberry not operating as a modem anymore. I do not pay for PAM plan and never ran into any issue with using my Curve as a modem. Recently I downloaded an excessive amount of data using my Curve. Everything worked fine until the next day when I tried to connect like I always have and and I could not achieve a connection. The "modem mode enabled" would pop up at the top of the screen then disappeared with no connection established. I am curious if Sprint has shut me down. I am assuming that is the case. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Nlagazzi; 10-04-09 at 08:46 PM.
    01-28-09 11:16 PM
    I really appreciate that u provided great information for Sprint Blackberry Curve. I have 8330 with 4.5.0.131.

I am trying to get my Curve working with Xubuntu 9.04 (newest version). It already have Bluez pre-installed and I plugged in USB 2.0 Bluetooth dongle into my laptop and it detected and popped Bluetooth icon on upper right taskbar next to network. I was able to pair it with Sprint Curve 8330 with no problem using it's program. My Curve paired it as a 'A/V remote control with green checkmark and its status led flashed blue every 5 seconds. I tried using Xubuntu's updated Network Manager and use 'Mobile Broadband' and found Sprint on the list and selected it. Then I tried to run it but no avail. I realized that it culd be that Curve only listed 'A/V Remote Control' as its connection, not COM or Dial up. In Curve option, all the Serial Port Profile and Dial Up are already checkmarked. So I narrowed down to USB 2.0 Bluetooth Dongle and Laptop's USB 1.1

So I tried another method what you provided info on your thread and I followed your instruction and got the scripts all set for. But when I tried to restart Bluetooth by typing " sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart" without quote. It show error message that file is missing. So I ended up rebooting my laptop and ran terminal and typed 'sudo pon sprint-blackberry' . No error message but just popped next line 'home/dell-desktop #' without any response. It seem that scripts are typed and proof read correctly but I am missing something to get it working.

My Curve didn't show 'Modem Enable' either.
    On my second thought after going through 'he//' of struggling, something popped up in my mind is that my Curve's bluetooth was detected by my laptop's bluetooth as 'A/V Remote Control - connected' and nothing else.

Since that I'm using old Dell Latitude CSX-H 500mhz laptop with USB 1.1. The USB 2.0 Bluetooth Dongle is a IVT Bluesoleil. It might have limited connection to my Blackberry due to USB 1.1. While I used same bluetooth dongle to my other laptop, Acer Aspire w/ 1.8ghz and have USB 2.0 and run on Windows XP. I installed driver for IVT Bluesoleil and plugged dongle in and my Blackberry immedialy detected and connected as modem without configuration.

So I am going to try experiment different branded USB bluetooth dongle such as Cirago Micro USB bluetooth dongle which is 100% Linux compatible.

So that could be the problem that I was not able to get Dial Up working on Bluetooth from Curve.

Suggestion??

Catty
    Last edited by Purplecatty; 05-15-09 at 03:41 AM.
    05-15-09 02:09 AM
    First off I am using only Ubuntu. I haven't tried this in any other flavor of Ubuntu. As a matter of fact I have only used gnome ubuntu and no other version. So I really don't know if it really makes a difference. Second I don't believe that USB 1.1 on your laptop working with a USB 2.0 dongle would matter. I am on a 8 year old Dell Inspiron 2500 right now typing this reply using my blackberry as modem via bluetooth. This Inspiron employs USB 1.1 and the dongle is a Trendnet TBW-101UB that is made for USB 2.0. I really don't know if my instructions would work in Xubuntu or Kubuntu. My Blackberry also recognizes the laptop-Blackberry relationship as "A/V Remote Control" but it still will operate as a modem. Sorry I was not more help to you. BTW, be careful using your phone as modem in this matter if you get it working. Sprint has been known to disconnect service for excessive bandwidth usage. They have done this to some of my fellow coworkers.
    05-15-09 07:30 PM
    First off I am using only Ubuntu. I haven't tried this in any other flavor of Ubuntu. As a matter of fact I have only used gnome ubuntu and no other version. So I really don't know if it really makes a difference. Second I don't believe that USB 1.1 on your laptop working with a USB 2.0 dongle would matter. I am on a 8 year old Dell Inspiron 2500 right now typing this reply using my blackberry as modem via bluetooth. This Inspiron employs USB 1.1 and the dongle is a Trendnet TBW-101UB that is made for USB 2.0. I really don't know if my instructions would work in Xubuntu or Kubuntu. My Blackberry also recognizes the laptop-Blackberry relationship as "A/V Remote Control" but it still will operate as a modem. Sorry I was not more help to you. BTW, be careful using your phone as modem in this matter if you get it working. Sprint has been known to disconnect service for excessive bandwidth usage. They have done this to some of my fellow coworkers.
    Good news, I got it!! I found the culprit!! It's the blame on Bluez-Gnome that do not integrate with Network Manager!!! Since that I did script on Rfcomm exactly what you provided good information. It's all taken care of since there's no error message in terminal when I ran "sudo pon sprint-blackberry" and it popped no error and neither connected.

Since that I'm using Xubuntu Jaunty Jackrabbit 9.04 and also on my desktop, Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 too. Both had same issue. I recalled month ago that I saw another bluetooth manager called Blueman. I checked its website and found the information and it did mentioned "integrates with Network Manager". That's what I'm looking for since that new Network Manager already have Mobile Broadband and have providers such as Verizon, Sprint and many more listed.

So I went ahead and apt-get Blueman and installed it. Installer removed Bluez-Gnome was the only app needed to be remove but keeping most Bluez apps intact. After Blueman-manager was installed. I had to go to User/Bin/Blueman-manager (it's a Python excuteable). Ran it and finally got icon next to Network Manager. I fiddled around and it sure have Mobile Dialup. I clicked and it popped up the screen and asking me to connect to DUN using CDMA or Do Not Connect. It did connect but failed cuz it's not compatible with my Curve's EVDO. So after an hour of struggle, I decide to try again , same thing and try "Do Not Connect" then it was set for and decide to try Mobile Dialup then my heart skipped the beat seeing it scan then connected successfully!!! The Network Manager popped blue spinning dots then changed to tower connected to Sprint Network!!!! I tested and it works soooo nicely!!

Since that Rfcomm is already typed in script previously, Blueman did checked and connected to Network Manager with no problem. It was the best thing in the world I ever got it working!!

No glitch or flaky connections!!

I agree with you that it have nothing to do with USB 1.1 and 2.0. I experiemented with Windows XP and using same dongle and it works fine with dialup. My Curve did show same when paired, "A/V Remote Control" so it's telling me that IVT Bluesoleil USB 2.0 Dongle is perfectly fine. Something to do with Ubuntu's Bluez-Gnome manager that is not cooperating with me and Network Manager.

So I'm done and thankyou very much!!

Catty
    05-15-09 09:39 PM
    I had minor glitch with connecting Dial Up connection (connecting with dial up connection and it scanned then success, suddenly the pop up error say "this device is not compatible with GPRS and CDMA. My BB is a CDMA regardless it connects to EVDO) until I had to unplug Bluetooth and plug it back in and also deleted my device list on Blueman-Manager then re-detect Blackberry Curve. Then paired it to my BB then connect dial up, finally it worked again. Later on I used it again, it have gotten worst. It seem that Blueman "degraded" each time I use. It seem that Blueman-manager does have glitch on Xubuntu.

While I have Ubuntu Jaunty Jackrabbit 9.04 on my AMD64 desktop and I tested Blueman-manager. It detected my Curve's bluetooth and asked for passkey. I did so and it immediately popped another window, "Connect to DUN or Connect to CDMA" option. Huh!! That's different than my Xubuntu. I chose "CDMA" and immediately Network Manager spun blue dots and connected with "Tower" quickly! It seem more stable than Xubuntu.

I can't install Ubuntu on old 500mhz laptop, It'll run like molasse coming out of jar if I installed it. :lol:

Catty
    Last edited by Purplecatty; 05-16-09 at 08:06 AM.
    05-16-09 03:04 AM
    I just had a flaky connection with Bluetooth tethering as modem on my laptop. It took me few tries and it somehow rebooted my Curve on its own. After that it finally connected. I realized that I deleted Rfcomm0 setup so I had to restore the setting and it finally recognized and connected.

But on my desktop, it's pretty stable even it's a bit flaky but it connects more often than my laptop during test. Xubuntu use Xoffice lightweight desktop which make sense and causing problem.

I recently ordered a new Cirago mini USB 2.0 Bluetooth dongle. I just want to try out up to date bluetooth and see if it have more solid connections. Also I just want the micro one so I can leave it on my laptop's USB rather than using thumb size IVT Bluesoleil Bluetooth dongle.

I will let you know what's the result (It might not make any difference, who knows) so I will update when I get it and experiment it.

Catty
    05-18-09 10:49 PM
    The Cirago USB Micro bluetooth dongle just arrived today. It is tiny but as wide as standard metal part of USB jack.

I plugged it into my Dell laptop and it recognized BT no problem and blue led flashes ever 2 seconds. Then I paired it with my BB Curve, It detected and paired with no problem. Its led went steady ON but with "wink"..

Then I ran Blueman's Dial up connection, It did dial but popped errror first time. I decide to delete Curve from Blueman list, detect it then pair again. I ran dial up again, it did connect successfully but while the Network Manager spins blue dots and Curve rebooted itself. I waited until Curve back to its desktop. It automatically paired to my laptop BT and typed passkey on both then tried dial up again. Curve crashed and rebooted for second time.

Then third time, paired, and re-dial. It successfully connected and Network manager finally connected to Mobile broadband, Curve showing "Modem Mode Enabled". I browsed the net and it was pretty fast getting around. I ran Speakeasy Speedtest. It show 325kpbs download and 90kpbs upload. Not bad at all!!

I decide to disconnect mobile broadband and unpaired Curve from laptop. Shut it down and then boot up again then paired it to Curve. Then ran Dialup and it connected like before without any hitch and network still runs fast.

I think I got it working fine. It's my old IVT Bluesoleil USB bluetooth is faulty. Cirago USB Micro bluetooth works solid now. It's so much better than before!!

Maybe if anyone struggling trying to get dialup working by swapping Bluetooth dongle for another one to see if it work or buy one that works with Mac and Linux.

Thanks
    Catty
    05-21-09 11:36 PM
    After many BT tethering and broadband connections. My new Bluetooth dongle works solidly and stable. No glitch or degradation. Network speed been smooth and fast. It was a big improvements over old USB Bluetooth dongle.

It seem that Blueman-manager that I installed also saved my day over struggling to get it working.

I would recommend anyone who use Ubuntu or any 'buntu' base OS try delet Bluez-Gnome and install Blueman-Manager. I use Xubuntu and Ubuntu Jaunty Jackrabbit 9.04. If you have 8.10, you should check Network manager to be sure that Mobile Broadband lists Cellular provider that you plan to use. I have no idea on 8.04 but worth a try.

IF you have problem with connecting mobile broadband like I mentioned above, Try different Bluetooth dongle or the one that works with Linux. Cirago Micro USB Bluetooth dongle is Mac and Linux compatible. But you should check out different brand also.

Good luck!

Catty
    05-22-09 06:40 AM
    The following are instructions on how to use your Sprint Blackberry 8330 Curve as a bluetooth modem in Ubuntu 8.04.
    Thanks for the good info. It seems to work for me but Firefox still thinks i'm offline as well as NetMan. Any way to test this or to let my other apps now that I'm online and use the connection?
    05-23-09 04:56 PM
    Check out these two websites. They may be able to help you with the online/offline mode in Firefox. It was a known bug and I believe it should be fixed now in the latest FF version.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...question/31925

Toolkit.networkmanager.disable - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    05-28-09 08:45 AM
    I want to know if anyone has experienced their Blackberry not operating as a modem anymore. I do not pay for PAM plan and never ran into any issue with using my Curve as a modem. Recently I downloaded an excessive amount of data using my Curve. Everything worked fine until the next day when I tried to connect like I always have and and I could not achieve a connection. The "modem mode enabled" would pop up at the top of the screen then disappeared with no connection established. I am curious if Sprint has shut me down. I am assuming that is the case. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    From what I can tell, Yes... It seems mine has stopped working also. After my friend talked w/ his Sprint Rep, Supposedly they did disable it and you have to pay $30+ bucks a month on top to keep using it. Course he is just a sales guy and wants to make money. If this is the case I am going to consider my contract void due to change in service and switch to a new carrier/phone. Yeah, They are all evil, but I pay a tone already for my All-You-Can't really use plan.
    11-12-09 12:12 PM
    Get Ready to shell out some JACK for the Early Termination Fee if YOU consider the contract voided. When you sign on to a contract with Sprint you may not SEE the contract but you can if you request it. The Simply Everything Plan WILL state that it does not include the PAM plan. Trust me, my attorney is a friend of mine. Back in the good old days of SPRINT's STELLAR CUSTOMER SERVICE the only thing I signed when I walked out of the store was a receipt when I felt that they had VOIDED the contract between me and them because they decided to charge me over 45 dollars more than what I had agreed upon in the store; they said SO SORRY read that receipt you signed. I did and took it to my attorney and he instructed me I don't have a leg to stand on. That is my story. I knew that Sprint would allow PAM on a phone as long as you did not get carried away. The problem is these days there are too many programs out there that enable use of your mobile as a modem without going through the provider. This is putting a strain on their pocketbook. So now they are just shutting it down across the board. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. I have been using my phones as modems for 8 years now. I think I figured out how to do it on my Sanyo SCP-something or other.
    Last edited by Nlagazzi; 11-13-09 at 01:32 AM.
    11-13-09 01:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD