Can anybody wager an educated guess about this? I guess what my question boils down to is will OS 4.5 on my 8830WE play nice with Sprint/Clearwire's forthcoming (and continually delayed) release of their Xohm 802.16e WiMax network? I think they originally announced this network back in 2006, so it seems BlackBerry would have had time to support that protocol in OS 4.5 if they wanted to.

Or is this a hardware issue and I'm just way off the mark?
    05-24-08 07:02 PM
    Well...let me put it too you like this...Sprint barely has any life left in it...I doubt anyone will have full on support for Sprint unless they get some kind of Gurantee Sprint will actually be around for a while...aside from that LTE is the way of the walk at the moment, and that will be supported by more carriers then WiMax will be soo...I'm gonna stick my head out and say I'm sure my concentration will be in that area then anything.
    05-24-08 07:35 PM
    Fair enough. I think that's a pretty realistic prediction. We do at least get WiFi with 4.5 right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-08 09:39 PM
    Sprint has NEVER been proactive about implementing BB technology. They will likely hem and haw before we receive OS 4.5. They always release their OS updates last. But it would be nice to recieve the new WiMax functinality after the upgrade though.
    05-25-08 06:33 PM
    Sorry vague, wifi has nothing to do with an update, which is why iPhone owners will be mad thinking they should be getting 3g with their soon to be latest release. Wifi and 3g are both internal radios that are added on at the manufacturers own volition or because companies asked for it in certain models. Truth be told, I'd take 3g over my wifi on my 8820 anyday, as for the life of me I cannot connect at work no matter what I do. RIM hasn't had a ton of stuff with wifi so they are still learning, as we all are, so there are bugs with it. We'll see if 4.5 offers any help and gets some of those wifi bugs fixed, I certainly hope so.
    05-25-08 07:59 PM
    EVDO Rev.A with a software update on the current CDMA Blackberries is achievable... WiMax, not so much.
    05-26-08 01:16 AM
    Truth be told, I'd take 3g over my wifi on my 8820 anyday, as for the life of me I cannot connect at work no matter what I do. RIM hasn't had a ton of stuff with wifi so they are still learning, as we all are, so there are bugs with it.
    You know, it's funny you mention that. I was just watching a video, I think on YouTube, reviewing/comparing two identical curves with one using WiFi and one using EDGE. The EDGE device blew the WiFi device away in terms of speed. Which was surprising to me, but I think you're absolutely right about RIM's WiFi learning curve, so to speak. Plus I've been reading up about some promising LTE efforts and if they can deliver I'll be happy as a clam.
    05-26-08 10:55 AM
    WiMAX is a completely unrelated technology to WiFi or EVDO, and there's no way to put it in via software on the current Blackberries.
    05-27-08 10:59 AM
    Thank you Constantine, surprised no one answered that question earlier.

05-27-08 05:08 PM
    You know, it's funny you mention that. I was just watching a video, I think on YouTube, reviewing/comparing two identical curves with one using WiFi and one using EDGE. The EDGE device blew the WiFi device away in terms of speed. Which was surprising to me, but I think you're absolutely right about RIM's WiFi learning curve, so to speak. Plus I've been reading up about some promising LTE efforts and if they can deliver I'll be happy as a clam.

If its the boygenius report then there is a lot of speculation over its validity. Wifi, for me at least, is much faster than EDGE is, especially if it's a graphically intensive page. I just know that 3g is killer compared to all, and 3.5g or even the newer 4g networks are gonna be amazing, potentially tearing this long standing T-Mobile customer away. I will say the new 4.5 OS seems to have resolved my connectivity issues with wifi, so I am VERY happy about that, although the OS seems to hang on a few things still, so I'll wait till the official release is rolled out to comment on it.
    05-27-08 05:31 PM
    Where did you find the OS 4.5 update for Sprint @ Lax4ever?

06-01-08 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD