Can my Sprint 8330 display GPS coordinates or a location? If so how do I do it?
    06-21-09 02:44 PM
    Unless it's an 8330m, it will work with any GPS or mapping program. It should have come with BBMaps installed. That will give you your location on a map. You can also install a variety of GPS apps, such as Nav4All, Google Maps, amAze, and GPSed. These are all free, and no risk to try. If you have a new 8330m model, you may find that NONE of the GPS apps work. There have been reports of problems with MEID BlackBerry devices and the GPS chip.
    06-21-09 02:52 PM
    It is an 8330 not the m series. Maps are installed and work but I am trying to see if I can display GPS coordinates (latitude & longitude) not just a location on a map.

Thanks
    06-21-09 02:59 PM
    There are several apps that can do that. Search the GPS & Mapping forum and you will find them. Also, the self-test in your device should be able to do it. Go to Options / Status. Type TEST. You won't see the letters appear on the screen, but a Self Diagnostics page will open. Run the GPS test and see what you get. The GPS fails on my Verizon, so I can't tell you what to expect.
    06-21-09 03:19 PM
    Unless it's an 8330m, it will work with any GPS or mapping program. It should have come with BBMaps installed. That will give you your location on a map. You can also install a variety of GPS apps, such as Nav4All, Google Maps, amAze, and GPSed. These are all free, and no risk to try. If you have a new 8330m model, you may find that NONE of the GPS apps work. There have been reports of problems with MEID BlackBerry devices and the GPS chip.
    That must be a Verizon problem. My wife and I have Sprint with 8330m phones and we both use GPS and Sprint Navigation all the time. It's one of our favorite features of the phone.

So definitely the 8330m supports GPS fine.
    06-21-09 04:28 PM
    If you are using the Sprint Nav program, you may have had no reason to use Google maps. If you've tried it and it worked, I'd like to know. I don't think the 8330m issue is limited to Verizon units, but since I only have Verizon, I can't test it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 04:38 PM
    I do have Google maps, which uses the cell tower location finder on the phone because Google hasn't gotten around to changing their app to use the new GPS location service on the 8330m phones yet. They've admitted it is something they need to work on..

I use Ubertwitter, and it uses the 8330m phones GPS perfectly, so it is Google having the problem, not the phone.
    06-21-09 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the update. I have Ubertwitter as well, but it can't read the GPS in my IMEI Verizon 8830. The only apps that can use the internal GPS in Verizon 8nxx devices are BBMaps and VZNav. Google hasn't worked on that yet either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD