My brother in law was given an iphone recently by his US based company and he resides in Canada. The phone is locked down and has less than 30 apps available. He was also advised that the device is tracked by the company. He has always been very diligent with his phone use, however he feels now that big brother is watching every move right into his personal life. His only recourse is to maintain his BlackBerry device for personal use an only turn on the iphone during working hours.....now from my point of view this is why BlackBerry Balance is the future of BlackBerry. I truly believe corporate supplied devices and security will become a reality once again, and 30 apps, mostly travel apps he commented, is not the one device that does all that people are looking for. BlackBerry Balance, Corporate side, personal side!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 08:40 AM
    This has been a reality for a while. Never use a corporate issued device as a personal line. It's their phone, they have every right to know what goes on and off it.
    01-18-14 08:44 AM
    This has been a reality for a while. Never use a corporate issued device as a personal line. It's their phone, they have every right to know what goes on and off it.
    This.

I worked for the phone company.. devices, monthly plans all free.. we were encouraged to use the phone for personal use. Was never a problem until it was.. events lead to me no longer working there. I had an iron clad case against my former employer for their misconduct leading up to my leaving the company when suddenly I started being blackmailed with excerpts of personal text messages taken from my device over the years..

I'd never use a corporate issued device by choice again, and if forced only for official work related communication.

Posted via CB10
    avt123 and Barljo like this.
    01-18-14 09:06 AM
    With BES10 they can lock down the entire phone too, and negate the Balance capability. If his company issued a BlackBerry it would be locked down and tracked to. They issued him a phone, they have every right to secure it as they see fit.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:18 AM
    With BES10 they can lock down the entire phone too, and negate the Balance capability. If his company issued a BlackBerry it would be locked down and tracked to. They issued him a phone, they have every right to secure it as they see fit.

Posted via CB10
    My point being, if a company supplies a device, and it's a BlackBerry why lock out Balance. It is a perk to supply a device with a personal side that the company cannot access.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:49 AM
    This.

I worked for the phone company.. devices, monthly plans all free.. we were encouraged to use the phone for personal use. Was never a problem until it was.. events lead to me no longer working there. I had an iron clad case against my former employer for their misconduct leading up to my leaving the company when suddenly I started being blackmailed with excerpts of personal text messages taken from my device over the years..

I'd never use a corporate issued device by choice again, and if forced only for official work related communication.

Posted via CB10
    You bring up a whole other topic that is a major issue going forward. Not only will this be from employers, but even loose personal devices that are easy prey for the NSA and government/law enforcement agencies that will use this type of blackmail tactics against individuals.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:52 AM
    My point being, if a company supplies a device, and it's a BlackBerry why lock out Balance. It is a perk to supply a device with a personal side that the company cannot access.

Posted via CB10
    Because some companies, or Government entities don't want a personal side to the phone. I contract to a federal agency, they are piloting BES10 and about to roll it out. I asked if they were going to do BYOD and support Balance, and if so if they could add me to the pilot. The response was that they were not as they couldn't reconcile putting government information on a personal phone, nor can they risk someone doing something stupid in the personal side of a government issued phone. It is an attractive feature to some businesses, but sounds like the one you mention it would not be one of them if they want that level of control.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 10:22 AM
    For this reason I will not work for a BYOD company unless they have implemented BES 10 with fully segregated balance, or they tolerate me using a cheap (second, non personal-use) phone, or they agree to supply me with a company phone.

The employer has no business in the chatrooms of the nation...

24C28DD7
    k-fos likes this.
    01-18-14 10:54 AM
    The employer has no business in the chatrooms of the nation...
    Love this line. Easily swap "employer" for "state" as well.
    01-18-14 11:06 AM