* Not to sure if this post already exists. I apologize in advance if it does*
    Rumours are suggesting that the Windows Live Messenger will be retired by Microsoft pretty soon, Microsoft to retire Windows Live Messenger in favor of Skype | The Verge. If you read the article, it mentions that Windows Live Messenger will be more heavily integrated into Skype. So why do I think Skype will be coming to BB10?

Windows Live Messenger already exists on Blackberry and since Messenger is going to be apart of Skype it makes sense for Microsoft to create an app for Blackberry. I know there is already a thread that Skype might come way by HTML5 but I think a stand-alone app makes more sense.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    11-05-12 02:05 PM
    Interesting... a commenter on that link says that Skype is coming to Outlook.com sometime this month. HTML5 Skype on Playbook via Browser soon?
    BB10FTW likes this.
    11-05-12 02:21 PM
    Well I have never cared about skype up until a couple of months ago when my wife starting working up north at a camp and I have to say that any news that BB10 will get skype is nice to hear. Of course it's speculation but oh well, I'll take what I can get. I just hate having to sit at my desktop computer when I could be sitting anywhere in my house with my PlayBook.
    Thanks for sharing
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-05-12 02:24 PM
    just because live is retired and going to be part of skype doesn' mean Mircosoft will build the att for BB10 simply because it had live messager previously, if i do recall RIM might have developed the BB live messager liek they developed Facebook twitter and some of the other social messaging apps
    11-05-12 02:24 PM
    On a personal note, if Rim doesn't manage to bring skype to BB10 devices I will not purchase a BB-10 device or any other BB.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one thinking this way. Rim always said they were more business minded. Well, a business without skype is as good as unthinkable. Next year I am finally replacing my old 9700. I have been waiting long enough not to get disappointed once again. Same with the PB, very nice to use especially with the BB-bridge, but the lacking of skype makes it just another toy for me.

My guess is that Rim shouldn't be looking to much at android and i-stuff-users, but look closely at W8 and WP. If microsoft can keep their act together, the whole mobile world will suffer from them, with BB losing even more clients. BBM is a great service, but unless they find an app for other OS's to link to them it will die a slow death too. Or can you name me 1 person who has more bbm contacts than whatsapp contacts?

Rim are at a crucial stage where details, like access to skype, will be judged whether they'll grow stable again or die out. And that's just being realistic.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-05-12 02:33 PM
    I believe that a native Skype app is a critical component to BB10 at launch. I personally would be content with Skype through Browser when HTML5 Skype is available through Outlook.com. However, for the vast majority of smartphone buyers, going through Browser is too much of a work-around - Skype is one of those must-have stand-alone apps.

I'm with Bondte, Skype is simply an essential cross-platform communications app and a priority business app as well.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-05-12 02:47 PM
    I've got it! If Microsoft is reluctant to release Skype on BB10, RIM could respond by offering BBM on Windows Phone.

Just kidding...kind of.
    11-05-12 02:59 PM
    I've got it! If Microsoft is reluctant to release Skype on BB10, RIM could respond by offering BBM on Windows Phone.

Just kidding...kind of.
    If I was RIM, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. I'd rather have Skype on BB10 than BBM.
    11-05-12 03:18 PM
    I still say that if Skype/MS is playing hard to get, bypass em, and get another cross-platform alternative.
    11-05-12 03:21 PM
    I still say that if Skype/MS is playing hard to get, bypass em, and get another cross-platform alternative.
    There is nothing else with anything remotely close to the user base of Skype.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-05-12 03:31 PM
    need my skype! : )

please.. : o
    11-05-12 03:34 PM
    There is nothing else with anything remotely close to the user base of Skype.
    Completely agree. I use it regularly.

But, as a business tool, ooVoo is a decent alternative. It's cross-platform, and already had a mobile footprint.

RIM could quit being held hostage.
    11-05-12 03:40 PM
    Here a consideration.. Once html5 Skype is available how difficult would be for RIM to build an App that support that? Remember that the entire BB10 browser is written in html5 AND who has the best html score right now?
    If MS will not provide an app I am pretty sure RIM will. They cannot afford a launch without one of the major apps that people want..
    11-05-12 04:08 PM
    it's not all about ms. skype would instantly destroy the pb's video chat service (and on bb10 too if they move it over). does rim want that? plus, is BIS able to handle video chatting?
    11-05-12 04:10 PM
    On a personal note, if Rim doesn't manage to bring skype to BB10 devices
    It isn't their app to bring. Microsoft (their competitor) owns it. RIM can beg, offer etc, but it's ultimately Microsoft's decision. I agree ... it's critical. The PlayBook video app works fine ... but only with other PlayBooks. This would be better.
    11-05-12 04:12 PM
    I'm wondering about Lync. We use Lync at work, and I'd love to have a Lync client for BB10. Especially if it could do all the things we've seen BB10 can do (share documents, screens, video, chat). Ideally, if RIM could have all those features natively in BB10 (via BBM?), and have connectors where you could connect in multiple services to be able to reach all others of other platforms, that'd be fantastic. Skype would be included. Think of it like how BIS works for email, it could be a central point for all those other features too. It could then all be tied into the Hub.
    11-05-12 04:12 PM
    I don't mean to troll, but it's rather sad how we may end up having Skype on our future BB10 phones only because Microsoft have to "cave in" and give it to us because they might stop Windows Live Messenger. Pathetic.
    11-05-12 04:48 PM
    If MS doesn't want RIM or anyone else using Skype, they can lock the html5 code down so they cant do it.

If BB10 doesn't have Skype, it will hurt. But I think RIM would survive.

They problem is all of the other apps that BB doesn't currently have, if they don't have any of them ready either.... all those groups of people added together are going to make a very large % of the people they need to attract to the BB Platform. If someone is using an app on their current device, and they ask a sales guy if the new BB can do it and the answer is "NO"....

And if their answer is they have their own Video service tied in with BBM...
    11-05-12 04:51 PM
    Interesting... a commenter on that link says that Skype is coming to Outlook.com sometime this month. HTML5 Skype on Playbook via Browser soon?
    I believe Skype coming to Outlook is more of the functionality of Skype coming to Outlook. I use to work at a place that used outlook for internal mail but they instead of providing phones, they made employees create a Skype account and paid for the calls. You needed two accounts which became a hassle since you would have to leave one application to go to the other. By combining the accounts Microsoft has made it more efficient, especially for businesses.
    11-05-12 04:52 PM
    Well I have never cared about skype up until a couple of months ago when my wife starting working up north at a camp and I have to say that any news that BB10 will get skype is nice to hear. Of course it's speculation but oh well, I'll take what I can get. I just hate having to sit at my desktop computer when I could be sitting anywhere in my house with my PlayBook.
    Thanks for sharing
    pb's on sale for $125. If your wife is working at a camp up north, she should have a little extra $$$ to buy one - then you can video chat on your pbs!
    11-05-12 05:01 PM
    Skype is relevant, and MS knows this. I would not hold my breath about skype coming to BB10. The truth, wp8 is directly competing with BB10 on similar grounds, so I do not expect MS to do favors. Of course MS will Bull Sh%&# us with something like BB10 user base does not justify the investment to build skype app for BB10.

From what I read, the days of skype being a p2p are almost over and skype will migrate to MS messenger platform.
    11-05-12 05:06 PM
    Isn't skype a data hog?

If rim has video bbm running through their servers internationally, I'm sure it will be compelling for some.
    Add to that the ability of 3rd party apps to integrate with bbm, maybe ms should be worried.
    11-05-12 05:17 PM
    Skype is relevant, and MS knows this. I would not hold my breath about skype coming to BB10. The truth, wp8 is directly competing with BB10 on similar grounds, so I do not expect MS to do favors. Of course MS will Bull Sh%&# us with something like BB10 user base does not justify the investment to build skype app for BB10.

From what I read, the days of skype being a p2p are almost over and skype will migrate to MS messenger platform.
    I never thought of that. Makes sense. Google could probably consolidate Google+, GTalk and maybe even Voice to compete.
    11-05-12 05:47 PM
    there have been a few posters that have hinted skype will come tied into other service like BBM. I am not sure how much truth in that rumor though. It makes sense from a BB perspective but not if your other party is on another platform or the PC. I am very certain we will see skype at launch with BB10 in some way though
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-05-12 05:54 PM
    On a personal note, if Rim doesn't manage to bring skype to BB10 devices I will not purchase a BB-10 device or any other BB.
    Pretty simple-minded that you're going to ditch an entire platform based on one single third-party app.
    11-05-12 06:01 PM
61 123