Isn't skype a data hog?

If rim has video bbm running through their servers internationally, I'm sure it will be compelling for some.
    Add to that the ability of 3rd party apps to integrate with bbm, maybe ms should be worried.
    Im not a developer and have no idea but can't RIM develop other platform apps for BBM and the new BBM video chat? other platform users then just download the app and bohyah there you go???
    11-05-12 06:46 PM
    Pretty simple-minded that you're going to ditch an entire platform based on one single third-party app.
    Not necessarily fair. If he/she has a personal need that involves a specific app, who are we to tell him/her to stick with something that doesn't work for him/her? Especially if, in his/her estimation, the new platform does everything as well as the old?

People pick platforms for supposedly singular reasons all the time. I know someone who uses a touchscreen ONLY because he says he must have some engineering app that has limited availability on other platforms; I know another who sticks with BB because she thinks it has the best physical keyboard.

Whatever works.
    11-05-12 06:47 PM
    One thing is for sure, RIM has had a long time to figure out what they need to do if MS is not going to play nice!
    11-05-12 06:50 PM
    One thing is for sure, RIM has had a long time to figure out what they need to do if MS is not going to play nice!
    Possibly (another rumour), BBM on PC platforms.
    11-05-12 06:55 PM
    i really hope we'll be getting skype on bb10, that would be so amazing..
    RIM is obviously well aware of the fact that the consumers want/expect skype to be available for BB10, unfortunately there's only so much they can do

i mean.. Microsoft didn't just release WP8 for fun, they will be trying to go for #3 (not gonna happen.. xD), but why would they help RIM out? RIM is their competitor and unless RIM can truly offer something of the same value, i'm not so sure we'll be getting skype...
    i know.. we're just talking about an app and not Skype itself (lol), but still - i cant believe Microsoft is very eager to develop an app for RIM or allow them to make a skype-app themselves
    time will tell..
    11-05-12 07:00 PM
    Im not a developer and have no idea but can't RIM develop other platform apps for BBM and the new BBM video chat? other platform users then just download the app and bohyah there you go???
    They could, they just don't want to. BBM really is the keystone feature for Blackberry. Perhaps it's not much of a consideration in NA, but in places like India, Indonesia, South Africa, and others, BBM is the sole selling point for Blackberries. They have BBM only data plans. If they can get BBM on a cheap Android phone.... people in emerging markets will just buy those.
    11-05-12 07:04 PM
    i mean.. Microsoft didn't just release WP8 for fun, they will be trying to go for #3 (not gonna happen.. xD), but why would they help RIM out? RIM is their competitor and unless RIM can truly offer something of the same value, i'm not so sure we'll be getting skype...
    i know.. we're just talking about an app and not Skype itself (lol), but still - i cant believe Microsoft is very eager to develop an app for RIM or allow them to make a skype-app themselves
    time will tell..
    Microsoft paid over 8B for Skype, and they'll want Skype to make as much money as possible. To do that, they want to increase the user base. I suspect Microsoft will hire a bunch of consultants familiar with the industry, have them figure out how much additional money the additional users from a Blackberry app would generate, and then calculate how much losses they would sustain to their Windows Phone business. I suspect they already know the answer, but want to make sure. I think the most likely scenario is that making a Skype app for Blackberry won't incur significant losses to their WP8 platform. Hence, they'll make it.
    11-05-12 07:13 PM
    well user growth would be the obvious answer, and you're right with that
    but im not 100% sure if it's really that simple : /
    11-05-12 07:15 PM
    well user growth would be the obvious answer, and you're right with that
    but im not 100% sure if it's really that simple : /
    It is. Corporations are in it to make money. They have to answer to a board of directors, and their shareholders. After spending $8B buying Skype, the first question the board will ask is....."are you doing everything possible to increase revenue from Skype?"
    11-05-12 07:18 PM
    It is. Corporations are in it to make money. They have to answer to a board of directors, and their shareholders. After spending $8B buying Skype, the first question the board will ask is....."are you doing everything possible to increase revenue from Skype?"
    That value, 8 billion is mostly in the user base, not in the software itself. I still believe they WAY over paid for skype, that were on the verge of compeditive products emerging.
    11-05-12 07:29 PM
    I still can't understand how not having Skype on a Cell phone is a deal breaker for so many. If Skype comes to blackberry fine, if not fine too at least for me. BB should be and is doing everything in its power to bring a innovative OS to market and getting developers on board so, we the BB faithful, can get the apps that we want. If you want Skype on your BB phone then you and everyone else needs force the market to bring it to you. Several million american customers using BB10 devices is plenty of motivation for developers and companies to try as carve out some nice profits for themselves by developing apps. BB have is/has made BB10 easy and efficient to develop for and if BB has the customers then the apps will come. Guaranteed.
    11-05-12 11:18 PM
    Agreed. Great response.
    11-05-12 11:30 PM
    remember when the jokers said that they see no need for a camera on a handphone? or that touchscreens are a fad?

a lot of you sound exactly like that. jump off the wrong bandwagon and you could be strucked out forever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Nickerz and PatrickMJS like this.
    11-06-12 12:06 AM
    i really hope we'll be getting skype on bb10, that would be so amazing..
    RIM is obviously well aware of the fact that the consumers want/expect skype to be available for BB10, unfortunately there's only so much they can do

time will tell..
    Ios, droid and pc already have skype, over 90% of the market. So the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. MS could get mean with RIM to help them get to third spot by denying them skype. However, I think that MS would prefer to take share from androids 75% and iOS 15%. Much more opportunity vs those guys than stealing 1% from RIMS 4.5%

Plus, the vast majority of Blackberry users already have skype on their laptops, so denying them it on their phones may be trivial for MS.
    11-06-12 01:31 AM
    * Not to sure if this post already exists. I apologize in advance if it does*
    Rumours are suggesting that the Windows Live Messenger will be retired by Microsoft pretty soon, Microsoft to retire Windows Live Messenger in favor of Skype | The Verge. If you read the article, it mentions that Windows Live Messenger will be more heavily integrated into Skype. So why do I think Skype will be coming to BB10?

Windows Live Messenger already exists on Blackberry and since Messenger is going to be apart of Skype it makes sense for Microsoft to create an app for Blackberry. I know there is already a thread that Skype might come way by HTML5 but I think a stand-alone app makes more sense.
    lol, I'll work the marketing of my title better next time
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-skype-752661/

now the eternal debate : "is Skype useful" ? We don't care. If Skype is here it's definitely a positive marketing argument. One more check on the cons list.
    11-06-12 01:42 AM
    ^^ true about the marketing.
    Only I've had better video chat with the native PB video chat then Skype, by a lot. So unless RIM spreads it around to other platforms we need Skype
    11-06-12 04:56 AM
    why are we talking about this nothing has been anniunced. lets wait and hope
    11-06-12 05:14 AM
    What would you do if one of your competitors had a coveted app and wasn't willing to share?
    11-06-12 06:19 AM
    Pretty simple-minded that you're going to ditch an entire platform based on one single third-party app.
    For some people, it's a need. I know a woman who took to routinely slagging her old Torch on Facebook. It was constant. I asked her what it was that she didn't like and it boiled down to one simple thing: She couldn't video chat on Skype with her boyfriend. Nothing more.

Later, she sold the device (after much slagging) and bought an iPhone, turning into a commercial for Tim Cook.
    11-06-12 06:23 AM
    There's some really interesting replies and point of views here but I can not believe MS wanting to deny Rim the usage of skype.

Especially with their 'number-to-go' projects etc. They could only benefit from it. The PB video chat is no real competition, I don't have 1 single business contact with a PB. Relying on BBM as their strong hold won't work either, I believe, as long as there are other services like whatsapp. Skype might not be a crucial life to death asset for BB to survive, but it would make a enormous positive difference.
    11-06-12 09:22 AM
    I am a business man , I hate to say that I own ipad just because PlayBook doesn't have skype , at first I purchased an PlayBook but had to give it away because I needed skype. If rim won't have skype on BB10 I will switch to iphone , I am BB fanatic but that won't stop me switching to iphone
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-06-12 09:31 AM
    What would you do if one of your competitors had a coveted app and wasn't willing to share?
    Get the next best thing.

I still think one of the biggest reasons Skype released an Android app (after so much foot dragging) was that Android got GChat and ooVoo running.
    steven4u2nv likes this.
    11-06-12 09:33 AM
    They forget the new Microsoft is beginning not to care what platform you are on, they just want you to use their services so why would they block us?
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-06-12 10:58 AM
    no SkypE on BB10 RIM releases BBM with video chaT for desktop #Boomdone who needs skype

Sent from my BlackBerry By Choice Tapatalk
    11-06-12 11:12 AM
    We won't know if Skype is coming until after BB10 is lauched and BB fans start purchasing phones and Apps. I am sure that MS can see how much the community wants Skype. They might charge $0.99 or give it way for free and either way BB users will be downloading and installing. MS knows that denying BB users Skype is a loss in revenue and it won't drive BB users into the arms of WP8. So until the fat lady sings, Skype will not be the #1 things on my list of wants/wishes from BB10.
    11-06-12 02:12 PM
61 123