Wow, it really does depend on your filter I guess. I saw that as glaring sign that he's going to keep the train pointed at the cliff with the throttle nailed.

He calls CRACKBERRY?

Can you IMAGINE that call???

"Keyboard? Oh yes, we'll keep the physical keyboard. Might add another even. USB, SD, microSD, Sony MemoryStick Pro, got it. Security, yep, we'll keep it buttoned up tight. OK, thanks for the advice guys! 'click' Fellas, here's what we gotta do to keep the faithful happy... I want to see protos that dual boot BB7 and X10, get me a couple of form factors that would allow a physical numeric keypad, maybe a slide out... Also is USB3.0 ready for mobile? That would make a great "One More Thing" at my keynote in the spring... I think we're going to be fine!!!"
    I think it was a brilliant move on his part to call Kevin. It didn't matter what they talked about. One of the main issues many have had with RIM has been marketing. The way I look at it, a five minute phone call got as much marketing bang as their entire campaign during the NBA playoffs last year. A five minute call at no cost guarantees that Kevin blogs about the call - A blog that's read by millions interested in what RIM is up to.

The message I took away from Kevin's blog was that RIM not only acknowledges their fan community, but also that RIM is accessible all the way up to the top. It's naive to think thqt the purpose of the call was to solicit advice. It was merely to acknowledge. And the fact that (assuming it's true) he joked with Kevin about the job being filled shows that someone at RIM is aware of Crackberry in-jokes and creates the impression that RIM is committed to being aware of their user community.

It goes to show thqt you don't have to toss a boatload of money for great marketing. Creativity trumps dollars. And, as a first move, I happen to think it was both creative and brilliant.
    app_Developer and Jeovex like this.
    01-25-12 06:08 PM
    I think it was a brilliant move on his part to call Kevin. It didn't matter what they talked about. One of the main issues many have had with RIM has been marketing. The way I look at it, a five minute phone call got as much marketing bang as their entire campaign during the NBA playoffs last year. A five minute call at no cost guarantees that Kevin blogs about the call - A blog that's read by millions interested in what RIM is up to.

The message I took away from Kevin's blog was that RIM not only acknowledges their fan community, but also that RIM is accessible all the way up to the top. It's naive to think thqt the purpose of the call was to solicit advice. It was merely to acknowledge. And the fact that (assuming it's true) he joked with Kevin about the job being filled shows that someone at RIM is aware of Crackberry in-jokes and creates the impression that RIM is committed to being aware of their user community.

It goes to show thqt you don't have to toss a boatload of money for great marketing. Creativity trumps dollars. And, as a first move, I happen to think it was both creative and brilliant.
    I completely agree!

Does anyone else feel that RIM, although constantly accused of being out of touch with the market, is much more accessable than companies like Apple and Google, including the CEO?
    01-25-12 07:00 PM
    Wow, it really does depend on your filter I guess. I saw that as glaring sign that he's going to keep the train pointed at the cliff with the throttle nailed.

He calls CRACKBERRY?

Can you IMAGINE that call???

"Keyboard? Oh yes, we'll keep the physical keyboard. Might add another even. USB, SD, microSD, Sony MemoryStick Pro, got it. Security, yep, we'll keep it buttoned up tight. OK, thanks for the advice guys! 'click' Fellas, here's what we gotta do to keep the faithful happy... I want to see protos that dual boot BB7 and X10, get me a couple of form factors that would allow a physical numeric keypad, maybe a slide out... Also is USB3.0 ready for mobile? That would make a great "One More Thing" at my keynote in the spring... I think we're going to be fine!!!"
    don't see how that would be bad of him to do.....
    01-25-12 09:06 PM
    Wow, it really does depend on your filter I guess.
    It definitely does...
    01-25-12 09:46 PM
    Just wondering why everyone is saying it will be awesome but we have yet to see what it really is.
    If you've seen the PlayBook, then you've gotten a peek at what BB10 will be.
    01-25-12 09:48 PM
    I don't understand the argument for a whole new direction...it makes no sense. The problem isn't the direction or the new OS...it is the execution. Anyway, for the love of all that is holy...IT IS NOT LOOSE IT IS LOSE...LOOSE MEANS LESS TIGHT NOT A LOSS. Sorry but I find that to be very annoying.
    sam_b77 and Rickroller like this.
    01-25-12 10:25 PM
    None of us here are in any position to make the call whether RIM should change direction or stay on the current course with bb10. Changing direction at this point might very well be the wrong thing to do, it might the right thing to do. Time will tell.
    If RIM changed direction tomorrow and announced they were adopting WP7 or Android, the press would then lambast them for all the lost time with QNX, etc. Not to mention the fact that BlackBerry would become nothing more than a hollow brand without the NOC and services that make it what it is.

Like the new CEO says, once you decide to do a product put on the blinders and flipping do it. There are always naysayers that will try to make you change your mind/compromise regardless of the merit of it all.

I agree. Execution and marketing is what seems to need the most work.
    01-25-12 10:43 PM
    I go to a high school and it's really sickening, literally 3/4 of kids have Iphones. I'm q senior now, but in my first year I remember seeing a heck of a lot more BBs. I personally find the new phones cool. I agree that marketing is much more of a problem than the devices.
    01-27-12 08:33 AM
    Anyway, for the love of all that is holy...IT IS NOT LOOSE IT IS LOSE...LOOSE MEANS LESS TIGHT NOT A LOSS. Sorry but I find that to be very annoying.
    +1

10 chars
    01-27-12 08:47 AM
    its a much better choice than leeping the curren older ceo at nase here in RIM

that would be horrirble if jim and mike stayed and ruigned bb
    01-27-12 09:12 PM
    its a much better choice than leeping the curren older ceo at nase here in RIM

that would be horrirble if jim and mike stayed and ruigned bb
    Man!! You must of typed that on a playbook!

01-27-12 09:20 PM
    I go to a high school and it's really sickening, literally 3/4 of kids have Iphones. I'm q senior now, but in my first year I remember seeing a heck of a lot more BBs. I personally find the new phones cool. I agree that marketing is much more of a problem than the devices.
    So if literally 3/4 of kids have BlackBerry phones will you find it "sickening" as well?
    Shlooky likes this.
    01-27-12 09:26 PM
    I don't understand the argument for a whole new direction...it makes no sense. The problem isn't the direction or the new OS...it is the execution. Anyway, for the love of all that is holy...IT IS NOT LOOSE IT IS LOSE...LOOSE MEANS LESS TIGHT NOT A LOSS. Sorry but I find that to be very annoying.
    THANK YOU. I have been correcting people on Facebook too. Even got into an argument with a friend who claimed it didn't matter since other people understood what he meant and language is primarily for communication.
    He even went on to suggest that the English language is flawed since Lose should be pronounced as LOWS and Loose is the correct spelling of "Lose". Just shook my head and slapped him.
    01-28-12 08:08 PM
    I agree that marketing is much more of a problem than the devices.
    So you think people dropped the BB and moved to the iPhone because of the lack of marketing on the BB?

I'm sorry, but the devices ARE the problem. You can put a lipstick on a pig - but it's still a pig. RIM can advertise all they want, but they're still showing the same old Blackberry everyone's seen.
    01-28-12 08:50 PM
    I do not own a Blackberry phone, never have. I always thought my iphone was way ahead of the competitive BB phones in the market (Everyone loves their phone, especially when they just spent another $200 buying the newer version). My friends have loved their BB, i just thought it wasn't for me. Then i brought the playbook, just because it was cheap, and now my opinion of BB has changed. I like the playbook OS. Everything about the playbook. I was considering giving up my iphone and getting a bb phone.

I was happy to know the CEO's were gone, but when i read this article on Engadget, i now have second opinions of migrating to BB user. Can some hardcore BB guys tell me if this makes sense: [HTML]http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/rim-new-ceo-thorsten-heins-still-in-trouble/[/HTML]

P.S: Listen to his interview on the page. Does he sound like is not in touch with reality?
    Are you kidding me, this guy has as much passion as anyone one of us. He speaks boldly, knows what he has to do and where they went wrong.. To me this guy is the right one. Mike Lazaridis is stepping down anyways..... These people just have nothing good to say, about anything...
    01-28-12 09:33 PM
    At Devcon in Europe, we will have a better view of new CEO's presentation style. We all know he will discuss PB OS 2.0 features and BlackBerry's version of DLNA. What I want to hear about is content providers (music/books/videos/apps) on one platform. In other words, an ecosystem as a valid alternative to Amazon, Android Market or iTunes.

BlackBerry DevCon Europe: Sponsor List

Nice to see carrier support, Vodafone is major sponsor.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-29-12 09:05 AM
    Putting an insider in the position of CEO will just produce more of the same. RIM requires a full revamping and an insider will never go that far because he has friends within the organization.
    01-29-12 01:46 PM
    he is a lot better than previous folks. german so a lot more open and straightforward, more discipline. he talks openly which is very good.
    no need to get an outsider - no point - the ship is sailing in high seas and you don't want to get a race driver to pilot a supertanker. get the chief mate to run the ship, he knows everything from keel to bridge and will sail the ship to discharge port safely.
    an outsider can bring change..yeah that rings true..remember leo apotheker and what he did to hp?
    01-30-12 08:21 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD