I do not own a Blackberry phone, never have. I always thought my iphone was way ahead of the competitive BB phones in the market (Everyone loves their phone, especially when they just spent another $200 buying the newer version). My friends have loved their BB, i just thought it wasn't for me. Then i brought the playbook, just because it was cheap, and now my opinion of BB has changed. I like the playbook OS. Everything about the playbook. I was considering giving up my iphone and getting a bb phone.

I was happy to know the CEO's were gone, but when i read this article on Engadget, i now have second opinions of migrating to BB user. Can some hardcore BB guys tell me if this makes sense: [HTML]http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/rim-new-ceo-thorsten-heins-still-in-trouble/[/HTML]

P.S: Listen to his interview on the page. Does he sound like is not in touch with reality?
    01-23-12 08:08 AM
    .....And this has to do with the playbook how? Should have been posted in the news and rumors section, or General.
    01-23-12 08:23 AM
    If the quotations listed in the article are truthful, the new CEO is out of touch with reality. And the focus on process is killing Research In Motion from the inside outside.
    01-23-12 08:35 AM
    I do not own a Blackberry phone, never have. I always thought my iphone was way ahead of the competitive BB phones in the market (Everyone loves their phone, especially when they just spent another $200 buying the newer version). My friends have loved their BB, i just thought it wasn't for me. Then i brought the playbook, just because it was cheap, and now my opinion of BB has changed. I like the playbook OS. Everything about the playbook. I was considering giving up my iphone and getting a bb phone.

I was happy to know the CEO's were gone, but when i read this article on Engadget, i now have second opinions of migrating to BB user. Can some hardcore BB guys tell me if this makes sense: [HTML]http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/rim-new-ceo-thorsten-heins-still-in-trouble/[/HTML]

P.S: Listen to his interview on the page. Does he sound like is not in touch with reality?
    According to the new CO he "doesn�t see much wrong with RIM"

"http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/23/new-rim-ceo-i-dont-think-there-is-a-drastic-change-needed/

My advice is, if you have shares is sell them now while they are still worth something.
    01-23-12 08:39 AM
    Clearly you new guys see mistakes where others do not. This thread is a waist of time.
    gladiatorofyale and swiftex like this.
    01-23-12 08:43 AM
    Why are you second guessing the new CEO when he hasn't even been on the job ONE DAY?

I think it best to wait until after the next quarterly report.
    01-23-12 08:46 AM
    Whats done ....is done, obviously the "board" does not agree with you. Time will tell. One thing for sure RIM has a long road ahead
    01-23-12 08:48 AM
    The reason for my comment in my last post is because RIM has clearly had an appalling 2011.

It started the year as one of the main smartphone manufacturers in the US it ended the year with only 16% of the market (or 6.5% of the total phone market). In November alone it lost 3.1% of the market. Sales are dropping fast.

RIM’s U.S. Marketshare Drops Another 3.1 Percent While Android Gains

RIM

RIM shares lost 75% of their value since February and it is only the possibility of RIM being a takeover target that is keeping them as high as they are currently.

RIM’s Share Price Drop Makes It Attractive Target | The Jakarta Globe

With those numbers in mind for the CO to indicate that there is nothing wrong with RIM is amazing, and my guess is that he will be mauled in the business press. It might be his first day as CO but he has been working in a senior position within RIM for 4 years.
    cathulu15 likes this.
    01-23-12 09:05 AM
    give the guy a chance.
    yes there are faults with rim .name one cie thats perfect.
    to quote cristopher on engadget:

"I'm sorry but iOS looks identical to how it did when launched, it's an aging (in terms of looks) OS. I've not seen anything drastically different for it. The layout is exactly the same. The QNX OS is the future of BlackBerry and running on the PlayBook it is by far a completely different experience to the BlackBerry smartphones of today. They have admitted their faults with product development and have teams that are designed to get the apps in place in time for the OS 2.0 launch of the tablet OS. These apps will run on the phones when they launch this year, meaning that there will already be a robust App World for the transition."

i say fxxk all . not dropping rim cause some iphone guy thinks bb isnt awesome.
    well i did yestersay . love my bold . and in the future ill be the first in line for the bb10.
    RIM WILL NOT GO AWAY.
    Flexin likes this.
    01-23-12 09:41 AM
    give the guy a chance.
    yes there are faults with rim .name one cie thats perfect.
    to quote cristopher on engadget:

"I'm sorry but iOS looks identical to how it did when launched, it's an aging (in terms of looks) OS. I've not seen anything drastically different for it. The layout is exactly the same. The QNX OS is the future of BlackBerry and running on the PlayBook it is by far a completely different experience to the BlackBerry smartphones of today. They have admitted their faults with product development and have teams that are designed to get the apps in place in time for the OS 2.0 launch of the tablet OS. These apps will run on the phones when they launch this year, meaning that there will already be a robust App World for the transition."

i say fxxk all . not dropping rim cause some iphone guy thinks bb isnt awesome.
    well i did yestersay . love my bold . and in the future ill be the first in line for the bb10.
    RIM WILL NOT GO AWAY.
    +1!

I didn't know anyone from Engadget said that. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that he said that, but it just goes to show what a great OS RIM is working with and developing. The PlayBook is a powerful and versatile piece of technology and hopefully more people can see that come 17 February.

To be honest, there isn't a lot wrong with RIM. When they realized that BBOS is "outdated," they decided to switch. When they realized that apps quantity controlled the market, they made it easier for developers to develop for the BlackBerry platform. Finally, when investors called for a change in management, they did so. We have to give Heins a chance. One CEO is going to be better than two, we can kind of already assume that. But a new person can change the landscape.

All I ask from Heins is that RIM set a reasonable timetable and stick to it. They don't have to set release dates if they don't feel that the product is going to be finished in time. But they do need to work towards meeting that goal, not just blowing it off and delaying the product, because that's what many RIM supporters are tired of. RIM needs to improve their execution, and Heins spoke a lot about improving that. We have to give him time.

The fact that he contacted CrackBerry Kevin is good sign. It shows that he is in touch with BlackBerry users and what the fans want to see. This is what Jim and Mike were missing. If Mike is buying $500 million in RIM stock because he's really that confident in RIM's future, how can we be so sure it's going to fail?
    blue-b likes this.
    01-23-12 10:50 AM
    lighten up.
    any ceo that came in and basically said the comapny was up shoot creek, the prior CEO were morons and destroyed the future would lose all confidence in the market, the stock and sales would plummet and the end would be a self fulfilling prophecy.

so..wtf you expect him to say?.. he said "focus on execution" and anyone who doesnt think that is the major problem is out of touch..not the new ceo.
    blue-b likes this.
    01-23-12 10:54 AM
    What an inflammatory topic, to say the least.

Was this post your next BIG mistake in crackberry.com? I think it is.
    01-23-12 11:01 AM
    The fact that he contacted CrackBerry Kevin is good sign. It shows that he is in touch with BlackBerry users and what the fans want to see.
    Wow, it really does depend on your filter I guess. I saw that as glaring sign that he's going to keep the train pointed at the cliff with the throttle nailed.

He calls CRACKBERRY?

Can you IMAGINE that call???

"Keyboard? Oh yes, we'll keep the physical keyboard. Might add another even. USB, SD, microSD, Sony MemoryStick Pro, got it. Security, yep, we'll keep it buttoned up tight. OK, thanks for the advice guys! 'click' Fellas, here's what we gotta do to keep the faithful happy... I want to see protos that dual boot BB7 and X10, get me a couple of form factors that would allow a physical numeric keypad, maybe a slide out... Also is USB3.0 ready for mobile? That would make a great "One More Thing" at my keynote in the spring... I think we're going to be fine!!!"
    TGR1 likes this.
    01-23-12 11:16 AM
    The reason for my comment in my last post is because RIM has clearly had an appalling 2011.

It started the year as one of the main smartphone manufacturers in the US it ended the year with only 16% of the market (or 6.5% of the total phone market). In November alone it lost 3.1% of the market. Sales are dropping fast.

RIM�s U.S. Marketshare Drops Another 3.1 Percent While Android Gains

RIM

RIM shares lost 75% of their value since February and it is only the possibility of RIM being a takeover target that is keeping them as high as they are currently.

RIM’s Share Price Drop Makes It Attractive Target | The Jakarta Globe

With those numbers in mind for the CO to indicate that there is nothing wrong with RIM is amazing, and my guess is that he will be mauled in the business press. It might be his first day as CO but he has been working in a senior position within RIM for 4 years.

Fear-mongering. 2011 subscriber base has increased.
    01-23-12 11:51 AM
    Wow, it really does depend on your filter I guess. I saw that as glaring sign that he's going to keep the train pointed at the cliff with the throttle nailed.

He calls CRACKBERRY?

"Keyboard? Oh yes, we'll keep the physical keyboard. Might add another even. USB, SD, microSD, Sony MemoryStick Pro, got it. Security, yep, we'll keep it buttoned up tight. OK, thanks for the advice guys! 'click' Fellas, here's what we gotta do to keep the faithful happy... I want to see protos that dual boot BB7 and X10, get me a couple of form factors that would allow a physical numeric keypad, maybe a slide out... Also is USB3.0 ready for mobile? That would make a great "One More Thing" at my keynote in the spring... I think we're going to be fine!!!"

Now that is funny.

I do agree with your latent point. Sometimes, to increase mindshare, it makes sense to talk to people who DON'T like your product as-is.

To be fair, Kevin does not hide his criticisms.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-23-12 11:56 AM

He calls CRACKBERRY?

You just won a free subscription to "Looney-Tunes".
    01-23-12 11:57 AM

He is definitely more in touch with reality than you think.
    01-23-12 12:04 PM
    Did you really think a new CEO would completely change their direction when they are this close to their comeback? It would be worse than the slump between os6 and os7. Their plan is solid, it just needs proper execution and for goodness sake, hire that Marketing Director ASAP.
    Knightcrawler and grover5 like this.
    01-23-12 12:04 PM
    I have high hopes for what he will do.

Can someone tell me what you hope QNX will bring compared to BB7 in terms of interface and features other than the newer core? Just wondering why everyone is saying it will be awesome but we have yet to see what it really is.
    01-24-12 09:08 PM
    It's amazing to me how anti-BlackBerry negative media hype has begun to effect the attitudes of so many BlackBerry owners. I don't understand the doomsday mentality depicted by individuals who create threads like this. If I didn't have confidence in BlackBerry or in the product, I wouldn't have picked up the 9930 which is a much superior phone to the 9700 Bold I had. And when I got the 9700, there wasn't all this negative hype. I'm not sure if threads like this are created by posters who just like to stir things up by creating threads to play on the emotions of others or if it's genuine paranoia.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    01-24-12 10:10 PM
    None of us here are in any position to make the call whether RIM should change direction or stay on the current course with bb10. Changing direction at this point might very well be the wrong thing to do, it might the right thing to do. Time will tell.
    01-24-12 10:42 PM
    I don't have any confidence Heins will do anything much different than he has for the past 3-4 years but more to the point, what does the CEO have to do with your choice of phone? Shares, yes; phone, eh. If you like it and it suits your needs, buy it and use it and enjoy it.
    01-24-12 11:43 PM
    do you know what hes done in the pasr 4 years? maybe im uninformed, but i have no idea what decisions he has or hasnt made, or what decisions from the previous administration he has or hasnt agreed with.

i havent been made privy to those choices and im pretty sure no one outside of rims inner circle has either.....but hey, if im mistaken please let me know.
    01-25-12 11:37 AM
    I have high hopes for what he will do.

Can someone tell me what you hope QNX will bring compared to BB7 in terms of interface and features other than the newer core? Just wondering why everyone is saying it will be awesome but we have yet to see what it really is.
    I do know these areas will improve with QNX...

- Better app development
    - More advance apps and games.
    - No need to reboot phone everytime you reinstall or uninstall an app
    - No constant hourglass when multitasking
    - No battery pulls
    - And overall a much more fluid UI that the current Java-based OS can't match

One thing RIM has to work on is better cross-platform integration, better push/pull services (ex. Podcast app should receive content without app being open), and a better notification system for 3rd party apps (I've yet to see any 3rd party notification icons).
    01-25-12 12:56 PM
    Fear-mongering. 2011 subscriber base has increased.
    Fear mongering? Why are you fearful of some figures that show that RIM are loosing market share?

This link says that the number of RIM subscribers dropped in the US by 1.8m in three months.

RIM lost 1.8m subscribers in past three months in US, says comScore | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    01-25-12 01:36 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD