Might fast track??? Really? I don't think you can fast track something that should have been released a year or so ago.... This should have already been released. It's been over 2 years ( I think) since they purchased TAT!
    06-03-12 12:35 PM
    What's RIM going to release that will lead innovation in the smartphone market? Probably nothing - they'll just come out with another smartphone that isn't much different than was was available 2 years ago. This is why RIM is in trouble - why would people drop an iPhone or Android just to get a device that is essentially no better than what Apple/Google released 2 years ago - but with a lot fewer apps and non-existent ecosystem?

THIS is why RIM is late to the game.
    No one is going to get a leg up on hardware compared to anyone else at this time. Neither Google, Apple or RIM manufacture their own processors (Apple's A series are just ARM designs to there specs made by a third party). BB10 will be even with the best Android and iPhone hardware available when launched. The end user experience is what will be the differentiator between the platforms. Android's ecosystem is weak, relying mostly on free apps, which is probably where RIM has the greater chance to poach people from. Combine that with fragmentation and slow upgrades......
    cbvinh likes this.
    06-03-12 01:21 PM
    Lol. Blackberry fast tracking a phone? I know they have all new management in place...but I have never seen Rim ever fast tracking a phone. So I am a little skeptical.
    06-03-12 08:13 PM
    I think honestly it is a lose lose situation for them either way. If they rush a product out and it is half baked and buggy like current bb0S people will really never give the company any chance, but if they wait and the new iphone and next slew of android phones come out it is going to take away a lot of potential customers who may have bought a bb had it been out earlier.
    06-03-12 08:33 PM
    I really hope they don't just rush the phone out because i will definitely be getting it a launch, day one!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-03-12 08:55 PM
    Apples and oranges comparison.

He doesn't have to wait for a next generation iPhone or Android to own something pretty powerful - he can just buy the current gen phones. He can't do that with a BB as RIM doesn't offer a phone that can compare.
    His whining that RIM should release it now for his benefit is pointless. He should go ahead and invest in another phone if he "needs" it today.

I haven't seen anything on Android or iOS that wows me to the point of needing to upgrade, but I don't live my life on my phone alone. I have desktops, netbooks and tablets to keep me busy as well.

Apple and Google may have come late to the "mobile phone" market, but they were early in the "fullscreen smartphone" market that offered apps and a whole ecosystem.
    Full screen smartphone, yes. Apps, no. Integrated ecosystem, yes. None-the-less, who could have predicted that they would upend the empires of Nokia, RIM and Windows Mobile?

What's RIM going to release that will lead innovation in the smartphone market? Probably nothing - they'll just come out with another smartphone that isn't much different than was was available 2 years ago. This is why RIM is in trouble - why would people drop an iPhone or Android just to get a device that is essentially no better than what Apple/Google released 2 years ago - but with a lot fewer apps and non-existent ecosystem?

THIS is why RIM is late to the game.
    Since there are still improvements made to Android and iOS phones, there are /still/ things left to innovate/improve upon. BB10 looks a lot better than iOS and Android at this point, even as alpha.

(It's funny how you can make a smartphone, leave out a front-facing camera, cut and paste, wallpaper, multitasking and notification system and still be considered ahead of the pack, instead of catching up on things available 6 years ago.)
    06-04-12 01:11 AM
    I really hope they don't just rush the phone out because i will definitely be getting it a launch, day one!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. No more storm debacles PLEASE!!!
    06-04-12 01:24 AM
    Bringing out a super phone in Dec. with OMAP 5 and Paratek (would be smokin' fast and the only true worldwide LTE phone), would be a better plan than a smart phone in Oct. with OMAP 4 and a 6 channel radio stack. RIM can't bring out one model this year, then then a much better one 3 months later.
    Really? Why not?
    06-04-12 01:37 AM

(It's funny how you can make a smartphone, leave out a front-facing camera, cut and paste, wallpaper, multitasking and notification system and still be considered ahead of the pack, instead of catching up on things available 6 years ago.)
    Because they knew and delivered what consumers wanted. People need to come up for air around here. RIM was led into the ground by guys with no clue what the market was looking for, and had their butts kicked by not one but two upstarts.
    06-04-12 01:49 AM
    Because they knew and delivered what consumers wanted. People need to come up for air around here. RIM was led into the ground by guys with no clue what the market was looking for, and had their butts kicked by not one but two upstarts.
    I am pretty sure consumers want features like "cut and paste." lol!
    06-04-12 01:57 AM
    I am pretty sure consumers want features like "cut and paste." lol!
    Well, to cut and paste on my Storm2 is a (expletive) nightmare. It might as well not have cut and paste for the few times I've managed to get it do to what I want.

You guys must all be smoking some good vapourware. The purchase and subscription numbers that are public knowledge don't lie. RIM needs to release a working phone soon. They are promising that the OS will effortlessly transfer apps between devices, yet they can't provide a keyboard.

This is the PB email fiasco all over again. RIM couldn't release email to the general public because they felt that there were security concerns that wouldn't be addressed until OSv2. 99% of users who wanted email couldn't have cared less about the security concerns, but would have absolutely loved the email client. So instead of meeting the demand for 99% of the users at no delay to BB bridge users (who would simply have had to wait until OSv2), RIM decided they couldn't release the email client, and nearly destroyed the PB in the process.

They are doing it again with the inter device context transfer. Guess what? People would rather have a phone now and potentially a keyboard than Minority Report features on their phone. Wake the heck up and face reality. If your engineers have to work 70 hours a week to get a product to the public within the next 2 months, then make it happen.

Here is how successful business actually works: (1) identify a market driven deadline; (2) MEET THE DEADLINE
    06-04-12 09:12 AM
    Well, to cut and paste on my Storm2 is a (expletive) nightmare. It might as well not have cut and paste for the few times I've managed to get it do to what I want.

You guys must all be smoking some good vapourware. The purchase and subscription numbers that are public knowledge don't lie. RIM needs to release a working phone soon. They are promising that the OS will effortlessly transfer apps between devices, yet they can't provide a keyboard.

This is the PB email fiasco all over again. RIM couldn't release email to the general public because they felt that there were security concerns that wouldn't be addressed until OSv2. 99% of users who wanted email couldn't have cared less about the security concerns, but would have absolutely loved the email client. So instead of meeting the demand for 99% of the users at no delay to BB bridge users (who would simply have had to wait until OSv2), RIM decided they couldn't release the email client, and nearly destroyed the PB in the process.

They are doing it again with the inter device context transfer. Guess what? People would rather have a phone now and potentially a keyboard than Minority Report features on their phone. Wake the heck up and face reality. If your engineers have to work 70 hours a week to get a product to the public within the next 2 months, then make it happen.

Here is how successful business actually works: (1) identify a market driven deadline; (2) MEET THE DEADLINE
    U don't get it do u dude. yeah it was missin email but I'm pretty sure had the released the email client and it had many security holes that the backlash might have been even greater than from not having email. It wasn't like u couldn't get online and use email....it was just more of a effort to do it that way for some.

RIM doesn't need to release a device with a keyboard first. Everyone knows this. Getting out a device that will run playbook apps is perfect for attracting developers which they sorely need. If people want a keyboard, I'm almost positive the already have a 9900 or some other BB with a keyboard they are content with until a bb10 device with a keyboard comes out.

All I'm saying is before u start calling things a fiasco, let RIM at least release the product or show of the whole OS. This isn't the same RIM that released the PlayBook. Let's give them this last chance before people write them off at least.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-04-12 11:31 AM
112 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD