I understand the current popularity of slab-style smartphones with virtual keyboards. But if I recall correctly, during the last financial disclosure meeting, the new RIM CEO mentioned how the BB all-touch OS7 phone was, basically, a flop....so why start out BB10 with an all-touch version? In my opinion, unless RIM plans on a MASSIVE advertising campaign espousing the beauty & functionality of the new BB10 OS, this new BB 10 will merely be, to the average consumer, just "another" all-touch BB that will flop..... Myself, I will patiently wait for the physical keyboard version......
    04-26-12 08:10 PM
    I understand the current popularity of slab-style smartphones with virtual keyboards. But if I recall correctly, during the last financial disclosure meeting, the new RIM CEO mentioned how the BB all-touch OS7 phone was, basically, a flop....so why start out BB10 with an all-touch version? In my opinion, unless RIM plans on a MASSIVE advertising campaign espousing the beauty & functionality of the new BB10 OS, this new BB 10 will merely be, to the average consumer, just "another" all-touch BB that will flop..... Myself, I will patiently wait for the physical keyboard version......
    The all-touch OS7 phone was a flop because it was the same old thing just with a larger screen and no keyboard. BB faithful stuck with devices with a physical keyboard, everyone else bailed on BBs altogether.

The competition that's killing RIM are doing it with their all-touch devices. That's where the market is. As you stated, you'll wait for a physical keyboard version... so RIM can afford to ignore you for a while longer while they target those who have no reason to stay.
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-26-12 08:42 PM
    The 9850/60 has a pretty small screen compared to the norm of what is out there now. I was going to give it a go, but it was so narrow in portrait it made typing awful and landscape keyboard consumed too much real estate. Also the device is still OS7, still has a huge app deficiency, etc. RIM isn't winning in new customers with OS7 devices. The new OS is designed for all touch and gestures, has better app capabilities, etc. They will have a keyboard, but the faithful won't bail because the first phone is all touch when the qwerty model will be out months later.
    jacknewp likes this.
    04-27-12 08:38 AM
    I think it's a mistake to announce a product more than 4 weeks in advance.

That's asking the impatient consumer to wait nearly two months before it hits the shelves.

3 to 4 weeks tops.
    Microsoft has made a killing doing exactly that. Hyping features well in advance to keep consumers from trying other platforms while they iron out their OS.
    04-27-12 10:22 AM
    If they are going to revamp their TS screen offering then I wonder how they will port gestures and things for qwerty phones such as the next Bold that will have BB10. Maybe they can make the screen a tad bigger, maybe 2.9 or 3 inches.
    04-27-12 10:42 AM
    I think a BB10 phone without a physical keyboard at release is destined to fail. Do you really think OS10 it is going to be so good that it takes market share from the iphone or Andriod devices at this point? That seems like a pipe dream to me. It would be a marketing and technology miracle of proportions RIM seems incapable of. Consumers think RIM is boring and no amount of marketing is going to change that. They are too little too late to do much in the US consumer market. In the US business market its only advantages are security and the physical keyboard. I am sure we shall see what happens, but I'll stick to my guns that the lack of physical keyboard at release will be the final nail in the coffin. Releasing after the Christmas season and back to school.... When critics slam RIM for not having a physical keyboard on release, please don't see it as a conspiracy, it will be the truth for their "sweet spot" customers who will no doubt start looking elsewhere. Throwing your loyal customers overboard to try to get to a market you have very little chance of saving seems like a fools errand to me. I honestly hope I am wrong.
    04-30-12 08:27 AM
    problem is on their current user base and range they are falling behind.

A keyboard phone or even a slider will be considered (wrongly i may add) as an "old" style phone.

People want smooth flat featureless (in looks) touch screen phones.

You , and me are probably in a minority...personnally i want a slider.
    04-30-12 08:33 AM
    problem is on their current user base and range they are falling behind.

A keyboard phone or even a slider will be considered (wrongly i may add) as an "old" style phone.

People want smooth flat featureless (in looks) touch screen phones.

You , and me are probably in a minority...personnally i want a slider.
    I understand. I just don't know what RIM can do to ever be "cool" again. I think they are chasing a market and customer demographic they have little shot at and are wasting valuable resources doing so. Again, I hope I am wrong but I can tell you there isn't a kid I have met under 20 who would ever be caught dead with a BB device. Maybe the new phones will change that and have a great new feature, but short of a miracle, I thin they are best focusing on business and the cheaper oversees handsets where they have a base and might be able to succeed.
    04-30-12 09:08 AM
    If RIM doesn't aim for the all-touch demographic, then they will continue to slide and never be more than a niche player. If the keyboard is the only thing that users like, then it won't be long before the other players put RIM out of business by making a good-enough if not better keyboards. RIM can't rest on its laurels anymore. They will continue to offer phones with keyboards, but the only way they will offer a competitive touch-only phone is by completely focusing on it, which is what they are doing with the first BB10 phone.
    Premium1 likes this.
    04-30-12 09:30 AM
    If RIM doesn't aim for the all-touch demographic, then they will continue to slide and never be more than a niche player. If the keyboard is the only thing that users like, then it won't be long before the other players put RIM out of business by making a good-enough if not better keyboards. RIM can't rest on its laurels anymore. They will continue to offer phones with keyboards, but the only way they will offer a competitive touch-only phone is by completely focusing on it, which is what they are doing with the first BB10 phone.
    git it in one look at nokia they were the same if you dont move with the times then your as good as dead may be there plan is to keep the keyboard for business users and try and get a good chunk off the touch screen market and if young ppl buy the business side then they still got sales
    04-30-12 09:58 AM
    I understand. I just don't know what RIM can do to ever be "cool" again. I think they are chasing a market and customer demographic they have little shot at and are wasting valuable resources doing so. Again, I hope I am wrong but I can tell you there isn't a kid I have met under 20 who would ever be caught dead with a BB device. Maybe the new phones will change that and have a great new feature, but short of a miracle, I thin they are best focusing on business and the cheaper oversees handsets where they have a base and might be able to succeed.
    It's not "uncool" to carry a BlackBerry. The only people who have this mentality are those that follow tech and mobile closely and read the latest technology news. For most people, the differences between a BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android device don't extend much farther than different UIs and form-factors. OS, processing speed, data speeds, etc. don't matter much to the average consumer (I'm pretty sure that the average consumer knows whether their phone supports LTE, but most people don't know what LTE is). This is where RIM has an equal shot at capturing new or former users. They need a phone with killer UI and design with flashy features. They would win in this market through design, not functionality.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 04-30-12 at 11:11 AM.
    04-30-12 11:09 AM
    The smartphone wars will be won or lost by the eco system that is available for the platform.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-30-12 11:24 AM
    It's not "uncool" to carry a BlackBerry. The only people who have this mentality are those that follow tech and mobile closely and read the latest technology news. For most people, the differences between a BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android device don't extend much farther than different UIs and form-factors. OS, processing speed, data speeds, etc. don't matter much to the average consumer (I'm pretty sure that the average consumer knows whether their phone supports LTE, but most people don't know what LTE is). This is where RIM has an equal shot at capturing new or former users. They need a phone with killer UI and design with flashy features. They would win in this market through design, not functionality.
    "Average consumers" don't really care about the technical specs, true. However they do care about apps, and specially hot and trendy apps, or apps with a social aspect.

Draw Something is an example. People look for people to play with, so they would normally invite friends to play with them. Instagram is another example. Skype.

Average users also talk to each other about hot new apps or the games they play. Temple Run has been hot recently, but it will cool off sooner or later. But the thing is, there's always going to be a new hot game or app that will start off first on iOS, then move over to Android, and the last platform to get it will be RIM's or sometimes RIM won't get it at all.

And these things your average user does care about. No one wants to be left out.
    04-30-12 01:36 PM
    @notafanboy But RIM doesn't make the apps, the developers do. People keep saying on here that rim needs to make them, when they have completely forgotten that rim doesn't, only the developers can.
    04-30-12 02:41 PM
    Take a look at the reviews from the BB conference this week. No physical keyboard at release is going to be a huge fail. Apparently NBC news even piled on.... Why RIM can't see what they are good at amongst all the things they are terrible at is beyond me.
    05-03-12 08:44 AM
    Take a look at the reviews from the BB conference this week. No physical keyboard at release is going to be a huge fail. Apparently NBC news even piled on.... Why RIM can't see what they are good at amongst all the things they are terrible at is beyond me.
    I'm sure that had RIM gone with a keyboard phone instead, the reviews would have been amazing /sarcasm. From what I've read though, most seem to be guarded optimism. Pessimists will continue to be so.

physical keyboards are a niche, which RIM already owns, and will continue to. RIM isn't stagnating anymore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-06-12 03:38 PM
    Every year, RIM announces their new phone in August and it's released in September/October. You don't need a source to speculate about this kind of schedule. It's the standard.
    That has been happening, yes...but this is a COMPLETELY different situation and RIM needs to execute it properly...so I think you can throw any previous marketing and releases out the window with this one...if BB10 is 100% ready and they feel its good to go...RIM will not wait around to announce it in August if its ready early July...although I could definitely see them announce it late July...and release the first device mid-august...they released the Bold 9900 mid-august and that was a flagship...mid-august would be perfect!
    05-06-12 05:10 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD