http://www.marketwatch.com/m/story/6fcae664-09ba-11e2-95d5-002128049ad6

Convincing argument.
    09-29-12 02:24 PM
    I read this last year, they made the same prediction. and where is RIM? still operating like champions, innovating like heroes. and making us wait like the military does.
    09-29-12 02:32 PM
    Meh - I'm not so sure it's a convincing argument. What it sounds like to me are those annual psychic predictions.

I am always a little skeptical of any article that has predictions and then spends more time telling us how accurate they were last year.

I could be wrong, of course. This was just my two cents ...
    big_time2 likes this.
    09-29-12 02:36 PM
    Again? How many times can they die?
    09-29-12 02:37 PM
    9 lives is what RIM has.
    09-29-12 02:52 PM
    I read this last year, they made the same prediction. and where is RIM? still operating like champions, innovating like heroes. and making us wait like the military does.
    Operating like champions? They did a great job of cutting costs, which isn't sustainable. They've delivered nothing in a year, so the innovation award seems a bit early.

Everyone will admit that RIM is in a very deep hole. What they did was not dig their way out last quarter, then didn't make the hole any bigger. Unit sales are down. PlayBook sales are miniscule. The eggs are still in the BB 10 basket.

Champions? No, still in survival mode.
    Last edited by njblackberry; 09-29-12 at 05:00 PM.
    09-29-12 03:08 PM
    With Thor at the helm we are in good hands. They are already showing what they will be delivering. Changing the game which is what this business is all about. Look at iOS, its a stale OS, it needs to reinvent itself much like RIM has had to do.

They will be trying to copy what RIM is doing, I have no doubt. QNX is starting really flex its muscle. Its all about the OS.
    melb_me, JR A and Stewartj1 like this.
    09-29-12 03:10 PM
    so do we have reporting or is this another case of predicting the future?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    09-29-12 03:18 PM
    I give 50/50, they've been in limbo for far too long, all their eggs rest on bb10, if it sells moderately it will not be enough to recover. I'm not sure Thor has really shown that he has what it takes as CEO yet, the trajectory they're on has essentially been in place before he showed up.

I think they are dangerously close to having to sell/licence their patents to stay afloat.

Positive thoughts their way.
    Last edited by mark37724; 09-29-12 at 08:10 PM.
    09-29-12 03:23 PM
    Lazy journalism. Brutal article. I think any of us could have written it.

Edit: English fails me. "written" not "wrote".
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 09-30-12 at 01:16 AM.
    zyben likes this.
    09-29-12 03:36 PM
    RIM lost $235M last quarter. They have $2.3B in the bank. Looking VERY simply at this scenario gives them 10 quarters or 2.5 years to get their ship in order. Reality is not that simple. One simple mis-step or wrong impression or additional delay to market could kill them. Come on RIM keep your eye on the prize! People will want BB10, even people who right now have no idea that it is coming.
    09-29-12 03:46 PM
    Except for you maybe, Luvulongtime..
    09-29-12 03:46 PM
    Rim can only cut cost for so long so let's hope Frank Boulben is a marketing genius. One year is an eternity not to have a current flagship product in the marketplace and to further miss the holiday season will be brutal.
    mark37724 likes this.
    09-29-12 03:56 PM
    Meh - I'm not so sure it's a convincing argument. What it sounds like to me are those annual psychic predictions.
    )
    Lazy journalism. Brutal article. I think any of us could of wrote it.
    What?! LOL. Are we all going to the same place? All I saw was a little stock tip/prediction. I thought the OP was being sarcastic about it being "convincing". Obviously, it's not convincing, and it wasn't meant to be.....
    09-29-12 04:34 PM
    They already have died, however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth.
    09-29-12 04:43 PM
    But it isn't available for 6 months! Has everyone forgotten that?
    Two more brutal quarters. Two more quarters with no new products.

BTW - I don't believe that RIM will fail. And I don't want them to. They just have a VERY long recovery in front of them, and one quarter that wasn't as terrible as predicted - yet still awful - isn't quite a success.
    Moonbase0ne, mark37724 and Drew808 like this.
    09-29-12 05:02 PM
    So basically the author of this article is doing what we here on the crackberry forums and other online forums, comment sections etc do......which is share our opinions.

However. He went to "university" and is called a "journalist". He just got paid to do what millions of us do everyday. The only difference is that some of us "research" what we post to the world inorder to not be taken as a "fool" or " look stupid" in this case.

Today's lesson......Media outlets are for profit. It really doesn't matter what is fact as long as we're making money
    09-29-12 05:03 PM
    http://www.marketwatch.com/m/story/6fcae664-09ba-11e2-95d5-002128049ad6

Convincing argument.
    "Convincing" isn't the word I'd use.

The description is true but only covers one of the many contributors to RIM's current condition. RIM actually probably could have held on to the enterprise market successfully had they been keeping product up to date.

RIM's REAL problem is a credibility gap. They got extremely sloppy in execution and they lost the faith of a lot of customers. A multi-day worldwide outage last fall didn't help promote an image of competence, either.

The most important thing RIM can do is show they're trustworthy. That means maintaining service (and the brief interruptions they've had lately are tolerable as long as they aren't happening constantly), and living up to their promises. On that last point, they're doing much better these days.

Whoever compiled this list, they seem to ignore the fact that RIM is in the black, and holds assets with a higher value than their current market cap. That might make them a hostile takeover target, maybe, but it tends to argue against their imminent demise.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    09-29-12 06:04 PM
    They already have died, however, BB10 is the sign of a rebirth.
    I agree, and funny you should say it like that......

RIM; BlackBerry 10 - A Phoenix in Rebirth Emerging
    the_sleuth likes this.
    09-29-12 06:17 PM
    But it isn't available for 6 months! Has everyone forgotten that?
    Two more brutal quarters. Two more quarters with no new products.

BTW - I don't believe that RIM will fail. And I don't want them to. They just have a VERY long recovery in front of them, and one quarter that wasn't as terrible as predicted - yet still awful - isn't quite a success.
    I wouldn't say this past quarter is "awful" at all. Not stellar, no, but in most cases a quarter like this past one is totally survivable.

Remember, they showed net growth in their subscriber base, and much-improved sales over the previous quarter. Think about that one for a minute: they grew sales WITH CURRENT PRODUCT. That is absolutely a good thing.

It wasn't a great quarter; they still posted a loss, and they'll continue to have restructuring costs to deal with for the next while. But if anything, they proved that they're still keeping the business running even with current product.
    09-29-12 06:29 PM
    Nice read , I found this part interesting:"The BlackBerry 10 App World opens for applications in two weeks; includes movies, music and TV show downloads with multiple payment channels"

Is this true?

Sent from my BlackBerry device using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 06:31 PM
    Please everyone knows RIM died in 2008 with the CEO's sitting there watching the iphone hit the market and not doing a dammed thing about it.
    RIM is dead and if what is left goes under some fool somewhere will blame Thor because he is at the helm now.
    09-29-12 06:54 PM
    So basically the author of this article is doing what we here on the crackberry forums and other online forums, comment sections etc do......which is share our opinions.

However. He went to "university" and is called a "journalist". He just got paid to do what millions of us do everyday. The only difference is that some of us "research" what we post to the world inorder to not be taken as a "fool" or " look stupid" in this case.

Today's lesson......Media outlets are for profit. It really doesn't matter what is fact as long as we're making money
    That is far too dismissive, I really don't believe he has a dog in the fight. He is likely well versed in market predictions and well qualified to make his remarks.

No one really knows how this coming year will go, just think it's unfair/unwise to take this as a personal attack.

How many of you took a look at the rest of the list and thought that he was probably correct? I did. He is making educated predictions. Let's hope he is incorrect and be hopefull for BB's next chapter.

Posted from My Mobile App
    Last edited by mark37724; 09-29-12 at 08:19 PM.
    Drew808 likes this.
    09-29-12 07:39 PM
    of course rim will fold if bb10 does not take off. the thing is that bb10 will be awesome.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    09-29-12 08:05 PM
    Except for you maybe, Luvulongtime..
    And what is that supposed to mean?
    09-29-12 08:14 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD