Basically Cringely's account was being accessed from a number of foreign countries without his knowledge. And importantly PayPal did not disclose this to him. Until he escalated it by having his readers send him pennies in order to get pay pals attention. Only after... PayPal failed to answer any questions he had via normal support channels.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-14-13 08:15 PM
    Android ported apps must be involved with this.. i suspect, they can fish infos in your dev alpha c, and i believe dev alpha C is not secured because its for devs.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    We should blame global warming on ported android apps too

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    04-14-13 08:19 PM
    Basically Cringely's account was being accessed from a number of foreign countries without his knowledge. And importantly PayPal did not disclose this to him. Until he escalated it by having his readers send him pennies in order to get pay pals attention. Only after... PayPal failed to answer any questions he had via normal support channels.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Wow, at least he was able to get on phone with PayPal, I never even got to talk to customer service agent for more than 2 minutes before "I'm going to transfer you to JHFHAkjfhdslkhaf department" line. (oh and JHFHAkjfhdslkhaf is because the woman talking to me suddenly had aphasia and couldn't clearly tell me the name of the department she was transferring me to).

This is so stupid. I don't even know if my Dev Alpha is compromised (is that even possible?) or what...
    04-14-13 11:51 PM
    Wow, at least he was able to get on phone with PayPal, I never even got to talk to customer service agent for more than 2 minutes before "I'm going to transfer you to JHFHAkjfhdslkhaf department" line. (oh and JHFHAkjfhdslkhaf is because the woman talking to me suddenly had aphasia and couldn't clearly tell me the name of the department she was transferring me to).

This is so stupid. I don't even know if my Dev Alpha is compromised (is that even possible?) or what...
    Your dev alpha should be fine. I believe this is a PayPal issue.

On a side note, what are some of the apps you developed for bb10?

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    DisturbedRocks31 likes this.
    04-15-13 12:13 AM
    Your dev alpha should be fine. I believe this is a PayPal issue.

On a side note, what are some of the apps you developed for bb10?

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    I made two apps to get familiar with the whole process. A couple of apps are on the way but I won't release them until around May/June because of university exams etc.

My apps are in my signature!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-15-13 02:00 AM
    This sounds like a pure PayPal issue. Is this CC linked to PayPal as well?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 02:45 PM
    to be extra secure set up mobile sms log in confirmation for your paypal, its a pain entering an sms code to log in after entering your password but at least whoever hacked you cant read your text messages to get the code
    04-16-13 05:27 PM
    to be extra secure set up mobile sms log in confirmation for your paypal, its a pain entering an sms code to log in after entering your password but at least whoever hacked you cant read your text messages to get the code
    Is this every time you use PayPal to pay for something, or only when you log in to the actual site to change details and stuff?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:49 PM
    Can't find this feature... :O
    04-16-13 09:31 PM
    Is this every time you use PayPal to pay for something, or only when you log in to the actual site to change details and stuff?

Posted via CB10
    yep every time you go to log in and every tim you pay with something online that requires you to log into paypal to confirm (e.g. ebay) and the code expires after 5 minutes if you dont enter it it should look like this when you log in [Speculation] PayPal Hacked after using it with BlackBerry World-paypal.png

Can't find this feature... :O
    after logging into paypal go to the tab that says profile > account settings >halfway down the options should be security key - manage my security keys, click upgrade and itll take you to a screen asking you to get security key or activate one on ebay, click get security key and youll get the option to order a credit card sized authenticator for �20, a free mobile authenticator (where it sends a free code via sms you have to imput) or a verisign protection token thing. click on the mobile one and follow the instructions to set it up
    [Speculation] PayPal Hacked after using it with BlackBerry World-paypal-securitykey.png
    Last edited by Berry_Pink; 04-16-13 at 10:50 PM.
    04-16-13 10:32 PM
    I made two apps to get familiar with the whole process. A couple of apps are on the way but I won't release them until around May/June because of university exams etc.

My apps are in my signature!
    Signatures don't show up on the mobile site, or in the CrackBerry app.

Posted via CB10
    DisturbedRocks31 likes this.
    04-17-13 09:21 AM
    Signatures don't show up on the mobile site, or in the CrackBerry app.

Posted via CB10
    Ahh, I didn't know that. :O

Well, I made two apps and you can find them both from BlackBerry World - PRYNK

Thanks!
    04-17-13 02:17 PM
    Had the same problem my card got charged to gamestop and greenman london. this seemed to occur after a BBWorld purchase/download i can't remember the app I purchaseddownloaded 'cause I deleted them all.thank god I caught this and had bank dispute it.
    This happened to me yesterday, completely out of the blue and for the first time. I DO NOT use PayPal. My last app purchase was through App World using a credit card. Fortunately, my bank caught it, and the proper processes were in place immediately.
    04-24-13 10:27 AM
    I wonder if this is a problem with App World...
    04-24-13 11:46 AM
    Have you turned on 2-part authentication in PayPal? I strongly suggest you do.
    04-24-13 12:46 PM
    No but a rogue process on your PC can sit silently and test form submits and wait for you to log it in to PayPal with the SMS code. Lol.

2 factor auth is valuable though. But it can be defeated.
    04-24-13 02:40 PM
41 12