(...ignoring the Storm2 "refresh"...)

I was puzzled a few weeks back after reading one well-respected poster's comments here on the forums, that the next Storm would have its own OS, and not OS6. Puzzled because RIM seems to have such a difficult time making its v5 operating system work bug-free on my version 1 Storm 9530. Why would they want to / how could they commit to supporting a whole new OS for one device? Who would write apps for it?

Then today on BGR I see this:

...Research In Motion�s Android tablet PC [...] will be launched in November 2010...
    DigiTimes: Quanta to make RIM�s BlackPad tablet, runs Android? � Boy Genius Report

Taking that speculation � that RIM has a working relationship with Google � a step further... am I crazy for thinking RIM would give in (or see the light, depending on your perspective) and give the Storm chasers some of the capabilities we've craved? If they could simply port BES functionality into an Android device and wipe their hands of it ("there, we're finished"), would that be enough drive customers to this new Storm?

Would a BlackBerry device that wasn't app-compatible with all the other BB devices out there be a problem for anybody? For me, I think BES is all I need.

Just speculating out loud. But this sure would make the whole "different OS" thing a lot easier for me to comprehend.
    08-10-10 04:19 AM
    On the other hand, it could be a win/win situation for RIM. It's no secret that RIM makes its money with selling BIS/BES additions to current mobile subscriptions and the sale on hardware/devices. Developing and maintaining an OS costs a lot of money. By implanting a BIS/BES app on Android, they have access to a current OS with all its cool features (which is good for the customers) and then they won't have to maintain their own OS and still have access to the new stuff. And more importantly, they can focus on what RIM does best: Making devices and supplying us with BIS and/or BES services.

And I would buy a RIM phone with BES functionality running on Android.
    08-10-10 07:38 AM
    perhaps they'll do a deal where BIS/BES is offered on android systems, and in return, android makes some sort of hybrid os for future phones
    08-10-10 08:30 AM
    That'd be sick if there was some sort of android OS for the 9650 and other non-touchscreen phones. Maybe even my 8330 would be useful again... I doubt that one though,
    08-10-10 08:42 PM
    that would be my dream.... android with bbm!
    08-10-10 11:30 PM
    Aw, come on! Isn't there at least a shred of healthy skepticism around here?!
    Does almost everyone here just swallow a story hook, line and sinker 'cuz it's on the internet? What happened to "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see"? I've already call BS on the "odin refresh" and I'm calling it on this thread too. Where's Penn & Teller when you need 'em?
    08-12-10 11:36 PM
    Aw, come on! Isn't there at least a shred of healthy skepticism around here?!
    Does almost everyone here just swallow a story hook, line and sinker 'cuz it's on the internet? What happened to "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see"? I've already call BS on the "odin refresh" and I'm calling it on this thread too. Where's Penn & Teller when you need 'em?
    I'm sure you're right, but it would be cool.
    08-12-10 11:54 PM
    Android went from like 1.5 market share to 17 market share worldwide in a year and is know past apple and drafting rim. No threat to secure enterprise but if they go that ay with 3 it could be all over. The level of adoption of android as been nothing short of miraculous. No reason to put it on a BB. Also RIM just acquired QNX to solve their OS woes. You may see an Android like OS on the tablet or S3, but not android.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 07:17 AM
    I'm going to say that maybe the next OS will be based on a Linux platform rather than Java for the tablet & maybe Storm 4.

08-13-10 07:38 AM
    It will be based on QNX. RIM said pretty much that when the bought it. I have heard it described as Unix like. Check out their site.

08-13-10 07:42 AM
    Yea QNX would be my speculation too, for both the tablet and the Storm3
    08-13-10 09:06 AM
    Puzzled because RIM seems to have such a difficult time making its v5 operating system work bug-free on my version 1 Storm 9530.
    The problem is your obsolete hardware, not the OS. It couldn't run Android, either.

The first gen Storm is lacking in many ways, especially memory. 5.0 runs pretty well on the S2, which is underpowered to run 6.0.

08-13-10 11:04 AM
    The problem is your obsolete hardware,
    Not disagreeing with you there, yet RIM has not produced a sufficiently bug-free OS for this device. It's usable, I enjoy my Storm, I'd prefer a Storm2 but I'm waiting out my contract.

There's some pretty elementary stuff RIM couldn't get right with S1, and when they fixed one boo boo, something else crapped out. So just saying, why go to the extreme of a whole 'nother OS to support when they really should be consolidating devices & OSs and offering something people >>want<< to use.

An Android-based Storm 3 would outsell a QNX-based S3 on OS alone.

Again, I'm not saying this is so, not predicting this move, nothing of the sort -- just reading that info I linked to and wondering out loud.
    08-13-10 12:10 PM
    They better knock it out of the park with this new OS too. I'm sick of seeing the black clock on my S1, sick of hearing the debate weather it's on the Torch or not, sick that RIM would continue to make a slow @$$ OS on outdated devices.
    Althou, OS6 isn't that bad I really would hope they don't put it on the Blackpad. I mean maybe the processor inside the tablet may speed it up and there will be no worries of the black clock but I just really think they need a new look for both the S3 and Blackpad.
    I keep going on rants here, however the point is I'm frustrated and don't see how RIM is so blind. I keep going to the Verizon store and messing around with the Android device but in the end I really just don't wanna give up my BBM. Android's system is just sooo much more fluid and clean compared to the BBOS6, not to mention the screen resolution on all Droid devices is awesome. The webkits on both the Droids and iPhone still just kick RIM's you know what. I was messing with an iPhone 4 today too and it's still sick how great that browser is even compared to the Torch. It's been said before but RIM takes baby steps where others are taking leaps and bounds and it obviously can't continue this way, something has to give.
    I do know one thing I'll give up my BBM come Jan for a iPhone on Verizon if I don't get an S3 or something from RIM that at least jumps even with the competition at some point. I know there are a lot of people on here that don't care for the iPhone and insist they would never buy one. However, I really think even those people would have a tough time if they were at a Verizon store and their choices were a brand new CDMA iPHone or a Storm3 that you pick up to demo it starts lagging and who's screen is probably still the same res as the S1.
    Last note, as I was in Verizon store today playing with the Droid X, obviously I'm overhearing the CSR's talk to custy's about the phones. The Storm gets mentioned and the customer say and I quote "I want no parts of that, I've heard very bad things about it" That's the public perseption of the Storm overall I believe from a consumer standpoint. That perseption will never go away by them releasing small upgrades to the same phone over and over again. They need a WOW factor and something that jumps ahead of the iPhone with the next Storm or bye bye consumer market and bye bye RIM market share when the iPhone comes to a large CDMA carrier.....
    08-13-10 04:13 PM
    Something big is coming and I say that because the purchase of qnx I don't think it had anything to do with blackberry6. Still haven't been shown what that's all about and people are talking that the tablet or storm3 will run android I don't think so but maybe someone saw the new os rims working on and it looks like android and they just assumed .
    08-13-10 06:17 PM
    I'm still standing on my belief that the QNX acquisition will replace the current JVM, which will allow for a BB 6-derivative that has more optimization capabilities and be able tu run better and dare i say have NO memory leaks.
    08-13-10 06:56 PM
    As long as BBM stays true to Blackberry devices, I dont care if this is true. Seems more profitable.
    08-15-10 07:58 PM
    I'm still standing on my belief that the QNX acquisition will replace the current JVM, which will allow for a BB 6-derivative that has more optimization capabilities and be able tu run better and dare i say have NO memory leaks.
    But will it be ready by the end of my S1 November contract, or do I have to buy a Droid/iPhone to use for a year or two?
    08-15-10 09:57 PM
    But will it be ready by the end of my S1 November contract, or do I have to buy a Droid/iPhone to use for a year or two?
    the QNX port should essentially be transparent, so possibly the 9800 has it.
    does the 9800 get major memory leaks?
    08-16-10 12:10 AM
    But if OS6 on the 9800 were on top of QNX, what to make of the rumor saying that S3 (or S4 or whatever they're calling it) is using "an OS other than OS6." That's the part that just isn't making any sense.
    08-16-10 04:07 AM
    maybe it's OS 7?
    08-16-10 01:42 PM
    maybe it's an iPHone killer OS.....
    08-16-10 02:00 PM
    ...and maybe it'll be released in 2012.

Oh well... I'm just going to have to wait to find out. Or go to work for RIM.
    08-17-10 02:55 AM
    the QNX port should essentially be transparent, so possibly the 9800 has it.
    does the 9800 get major memory leaks?
    BB 6 is built on top of the OS 5 kernel.

We don't know when we will see QNX. I suspect it will be on LTE devices since QNX has already tested on LTE according to their website. Yes that is the automotive applications but it shows that they have the experience. I think which ever storm 3 or 4 that we are on VZW's LTE network will be the first Next Gen BB running a version of the OS6 UI over the QNX kernel.

From what I have seen of the Torch, if it is running QNX than we all need to bail now. It locks up and hesitates way too easy. I played with one in the store that was hosed trying install myspace. It was damn near unresponsive.

Then again I have been wrong before.

08-17-10 07:02 AM
    It is clear that the 9530 owners are upset and waiting for a "knock it out of the ball park" S3. I have been reading a great deal of negativity about android security, so, if android is the OS I hope BB can crank up the security concerns.

Frankly, I can not understand why it is so difficult for RIM to come up with a browser that is comparable to iPhone Safari and a unit that has xxx storage that is all available for apps like the iPhone. I just, for the life of me, can not comprehend RIM's stance on app memory.

I read an article somewhere, in the past few weeks and the catch word was "ecosystem". Apple has cloned their "ecosystem" so that your computer, your Iphone, your iPod touch, and any other device they sell all integrate together. Perhaps that is where RIM is screwing up. In addition RIM has its customers so bamboozled that those loyal people actually expect for new products not to work perfectly out of the box.

Think about it! What other product would you purchase thinking form the get go that it will not work perfectly, a refrigerator, a washer, a dryer, an automobile, a television?

I got snookered when I got the S1. I thought it was Verizon's version of an iPhone competitor. I do not know if I should blame RIM, Verizon, or myself. Probably myself, since I wanted to take it back and did not. Dumb move on my part, but I like challenges and I kept telling myself that I needed to learn how to use the product.

I finally have it down and love it, I just can not have any applications, can only listen to a few radio stations ...

So lets hope the S3 is what we all expected in the first place. I tell you one thing, the very first thing I will check is, Options, Memory and see how much memory is available. If there is app memory, I am not going to buy the unit. If it comes with 1/8/16/32 Gig of memory, I better be able to decide to place apps, music, pictures, video, or documents in it.
    08-17-10 04:17 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD