An obscure site has posted that they have received a tip that Skype will be released on April 15th. Take this with a big grain of salt as the article is riddled with errors about the availability of Skype on the Playbook. Specifically, this line from the article is completely false:

"For many side loaders the android port became available for the Playbook on April 16, 2012 and stopped working for video chats shortly after the Z10 was launched."

Here's hoping that the date turns out to be true.

Skype for BlackBerry 10 launching April 15 | Tek Tok Canada
    04-01-13 09:36 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    sounds good. Information from Blackberry and expectations were that it would be available on Blackberry 10 soon …..
    04-01-13 09:53 PM
    I just received a Google Alert for this post also and I have never heard of this site previously. The same line threw me off as well and all of this together leads me to definitely take this with more than a pinch of salt as to why none of the other majorly connected BlackBerry blogs have caught wind of this info esp. considering how connected some of them are.

I have seen up close how much contact these guys are allowed all the way up to Thorsten and especially the different PR staff.
    04-02-13 03:54 PM
    Sooo, a site we've never heard, and which seems to have no idea about BB and its products is offering a rumor in regards to an application they clearly know nothing about (in relation to BB).....and we're supposed to believe it?

Whats even the point of this thread (No offense to OP, just saying it's barely even a rumor)
    04-02-13 04:03 PM
    Sooo, a site we've never heard, and which seems to have no idea about BB and its products is offering a rumor in regards to an application they clearly know nothing about (in relation to BB).....and we're supposed to believe it?

Whats even the point of this thread (No offense to OP, just saying it's barely even a rumor)
    How much you wanna make a bet the 'news' believes this?
    Knightcrawler and calirevolt like this.
    04-02-13 05:55 PM
    Hmm kind of curious if this an April fools joke considering the date of the article, just saying

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-02-13 11:07 PM
    Even if it is fake, or based on a false tip, it still gives hope that Skype will drop into BlackBerry world soon. Most likely as an Android port, but Skype all the same.

Skype has become one of those "symbolic" apps that has been used to represent the the lack of quality apps to download, a message usually delivered in the context of a "buyer-beware" article. It being ported over to the BB10 platform could be a symbolic move that BBRY's fortunes have started to trend into the positive.

An obscure site has posted that they have received a tip that Skype will be released on April 15th. Take this with a big grain of salt as the article is riddled with errors about the availability of Skype on the Playbook. Specifically, this line from the article is completely false:

"For many side loaders the android port became available for the Playbook on April 16, 2012 and stopped working for video chats shortly after the Z10 was launched."

Here's hoping that the date turns out to be true.

Skype for BlackBerry 10 launching April 15 | Tek Tok Canada
    04-03-13 08:53 PM
    What's it even matter? It will be an android port, therefore relatively useless. It's a messaging and communications platform that won't be able to use the hub. I don't even consider that usable.
    allengeorge likes this.
    04-03-13 10:07 PM
    What about Skype on the playbook?
    04-03-13 11:38 PM
    What about Skype on the playbook?
    Worse case scenario will be that we get it when the PB gets BB10 which A. Saunders said 'later this year' (so think November/December to play it safe).
    04-04-13 07:10 AM
    Who cares if it's an android port!! People put too much stock on this. The fact that devs are able to port apps is HUGE. It is saving our beloved blackberry platform by allowing the apps to come fast with little hassle for the dev. If blackberry did not allow this we would not have nearly as many apps and the whole platform would suffer. Does it work or not, is all I care about. Do I have the ability to video call my family in a different city? Yes, Great! Bring on Skype! I just wish folks would stop complaining about android ports. Most have worked very well and will continue to improve over time. It's better than no apps at all - and worse yet, no BlackBerry!
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    04-05-13 10:06 AM
    Who cares if it's an android port!! People put too much stock on this. The fact that devs are able to port apps is HUGE. It is saving our beloved blackberry platform by allowing the apps to come fast with little hassle for the dev. If blackberry did not allow this we would not have nearly as many apps and the whole platform would suffer. Does it work or not, is all I care about. Do I have the ability to video call my family in a different city? Yes, Great! Bring on Skype! I just wish folks would stop complaining about android ports. Most have worked very well and will continue to improve over time. It's better than no apps at all - and worse yet, no BlackBerry!
    I care because android ports aren't a solution. I care because I'd like to see development interest in this platform. I care because if I wanted the android version I'd use my Android. I care because we have the hub and I'd like to see it utilized. I care because it's a communications tool that will lack notifications. I care because android ports are running on a version of android that is 3 years old. Android ports are so bad they are clearly noticeable within the apps with no prior knowledge to it being a port. I care because the people saying they are just fine with Android ports are actually doing more harm to the brand than good. I care because when showing this device to friends the android ports are so slow its embarrassing to show off. I care because I refuse to use anymore android ports because I support bb10 and the development of the platform. I didn't buy a z10 after years of Android phones to just run android apps.
    04-05-13 10:18 AM
    I care because android ports aren't a solution. I care because I'd like to see development interest in this platform. I care because if I wanted the android version I'd use my Android. I care because we have the hub and I'd like to see it utilized. I care because it's a communications tool that will lack notifications. I care because android ports are running on a version of android that is 3 years old. Android ports are so bad they are clearly noticeable within the apps with no prior knowledge to it being a port. I care because the people saying they are just fine with Android ports are actually doing more harm to the brand than good. I care because when showing this device to friends the android ports are so slow its embarrassing to show off. I care because I refuse to use anymore android ports because I support bb10 and the development of the platform. I didn't buy a z10 after years of Android phones to just run android apps.
    I understand your frustration and why you care, but please have some perspective. Without this process, blackberry doesn't get the apps it needs to succeed, nor does it get the same developer support. It is a necessary evil and for the most part, it means the difference between having the app on the platform or not - which can make or break Blackberry's success. When Blackberry gets back to respectability and increased market share, I hope that more devs create native apps, but in the meantime, we are just very lucky to get these apps at all - which is why I hate the whiners always complaining about android ports......if Blackberry didn't allow this, we would not have many apps to market......I bought my z10 for the slick OS and most of my app needs are covered by the availble apps and android ports which do a very respectable job.

It's all about perspective my friend. The native apps will come the more successful Blackberry becomes - android ports are a necessary evil just to get the big name apps on the platform - let's hope that as their market share grows, devs will want to spend time developing just for the Blackberry OS. In the meantime, let's just be thankful we have the android port.......
    04-05-13 10:41 AM
    Right now the android apps that are on z10 create an experience that is, for 95% of people who don't know what a port is, like this : wow, this phone is really slow and it doesn't tell me when I get a new message, iPhone it is. Every single person I've shown ported apps too laughs. Then proceeds to talk about how it feels ancient.
    04-05-13 11:26 AM
    At least you had the android ported app that they were interested in seeing in the first place! Without them, blackberry doesn't even get a sniff from a lot of people. Most of my android ports are honestly just fine. Some are a bit buggy, but I disagree with you that they are mostly a bad experience. I currently use, realtor, cnn, es file explorer, pogoplug, wd2go, rogers radio, google maps, Netflix, speed test, aging booth and fat booth. Most work very well. I'm juts thankful they're on the platform and work well. Everyone I've showed them to on my phone thinks they are great.
    04-05-13 11:43 AM