What about a different email tone per user. Not just a generic email one but if someone in my phone book sends an email it will play a specific tone.
    06-13-07 01:04 PM
    This is what I was trying to do Nabisco. I still havent found a way to do it, even with the upgrade to 4.2 OS. It seems that I can set a different tone for "Level 1" messages - but that only gives me 2 options for incoming messages - normal email tune, or the level 1 tune.
    06-13-07 01:18 PM
    This is how you do it, and I've tested it, and it works!?!

1. Either create a new profile, or use existing profile (I used 'loud' in this test, since I never use it normally). Set the sub-menus they way you want, i.e. a particular tone for messages, etc...

2. Create an Exception (profiles / advanced / menu / new exception); enter the contact that you want 'special' notification for...

3. In the exception, makesure the 'Use Profile' has the SAME profile name as the you created / amended...

4. Test it...

5. Post your thank you's - LOL
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-13-07 at 01:55 PM.
    06-13-07 01:53 PM
    Everything worked fine until step 4....

didn't work.
    Thanks for the effort though, I appreciate it.
    06-13-07 02:38 PM
    It works! I take it you received an email from a contact, that you added in 'step 2'?

In this example, when Ivan T. Williams emails me, I get a notification sound of Notifier_Lucid & if he happens to call, it's set to the default T-Jingle!?!

ps: if you have the user set to a 'custom ring tone' (go to the contact, edit, scroll down to the custom ringtone section) that might cause it to not work...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-13-07 at 02:53 PM.
    06-13-07 02:41 PM
    Don't doubt the Navster!!!
    06-13-07 05:17 PM
    Hilarious, trez09, I love it!
    06-13-07 05:19 PM
    Help, i am setting up my new curve for important calls, and i am positive (almost) that i checked all of the right boxes, just like i did on my old blackberry, BUT my important calls were doing the opposite--they are on MUTE, no special ring, nothing, nada. So in i even deleted their names out of the important calls/exceptions, but my important callers are still getting the mute treatment even when all other unimportant calls are coming in just fine.
    AND i unchecked the important call box (which now has nobody listed in it anyway), and it's still muting my formerly important callers.
    Help this is a catastrophe!
    Any suggestions most appreciated, and btw this site is a GREAT service to humanity
    11-17-07 11:47 AM
    It works! I take it you received an email from a contact, that you added in 'step 2'?

In this example, when Ivan T. Williams emails me, I get a notification sound of Notifier_Lucid & if he happens to call, it's set to the default T-Jingle!?!

ps: if you have the user set to a 'custom ring tone' (go to the contact, edit, scroll down to the custom ringtone section) that might cause it to not work...

This works on the Pearl. I set 3 people up this way about three days after I got the Pearl and it has worked fine. However, I have heard that some need to do a battery pull AFTER they set up things in order to make it permenent. Otherwise, on a phone shut off it will be lost. I did not do the battery pull but at the time I was installing stuff on the pearl and it did some resets after software installs.
    11-17-07 05:50 PM
    I just got the blackberry pearl....I'm wondering does this work for text messages also.I've attempted most of the steps but I'm confused about step 3. Can I get further instructions? Thanks
    12-29-07 01:50 AM
    This workaround is for devices with OS 4.1 and above. It does not work for OS 4.0 or below.

1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.
    2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.
    3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.
    4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.
    5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).
    6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.
    7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.
    8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.
    9. Save the changes.

Maybe this helps a little on the instructions. HOWEVER, I am noticing that if you put your phone on silent or vibrate and you have these exceptions set up, it still plays the custom SMS/Email tone. That's a big no-can-do for me. Anybody else experience this or have a workaround?
    01-02-08 02:14 PM
    I agree, the exception always will over rule active profile. I can not find away to get around this.

I need to have important phone calls respond differnetly in different profiles.
    01-04-08 10:05 PM

Maybe this helps a little on the instructions. HOWEVER, I am noticing that if you put your phone on silent or vibrate and you have these exceptions set up, it still plays the custom SMS/Email tone. That's a big no-can-do for me. Anybody else experience this or have a workaround?
    Old topic but maybe somebody has an answer now. I just added a custom SMS ring and have the same issue. This is also a problem for me since I silence the phone at work.

Does anybody know a way around this?
    05-30-08 11:17 AM
    Fishin33

THANK YOU!! I have been going about trying to do this on my phone a few different ways and your instructions really helped me!!
    03-23-09 07:57 PM
    Now WE know why we're Crackberry Heads.. We just can't give it up, lol. And it drives us to distraction, to not be able to figure out the Beast. Thx be to all the Guru's out there helping us poor novices...
    07-22-09 08:19 PM
    I've been trying to do this for the past couple of years on various phones. I've come to the conclusion that this type of feature is designed to be difficult, if not impossible, to do. I could easily get rid of one of my two phones if I could do this. When I go to bed, I only want to get woke up for my important calls. The only way I've been able to do it is with two phones. I just got my first blackberry, the tour, and I was hoping that I would be able to do it now. But if sms or email alerts are still audible, that won't work for me. I've called verizon tech support a couple of times just asking about using ring tones for groups of contacts rather then individule contacts, (which is basically what's being talked about, right?) I want to silence one group and keep the others on loud. It seems so obvious at first. But alas, it is not to be.
    07-22-09 11:46 PM
    Check into Smartalerts in the app store.

forkup
    07-23-09 09:35 AM
    This is how you do it, and I've tested it, and it works!?!
    You're generally one of my heroes here with great insight and advise. But this one simply didn't work. Tried every option and version possible but could not get any to perform as promised.
    07-24-09 06:12 PM
    thanks everyone...
    07-24-09 10:52 PM
    it works, thanks!
    07-30-09 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD