I don't want them to rush out the BBX phone

and I hate that people keep pulling up the PlayBook for it's missing components and thinking that will relate to the smartphones, the PlayBook posed some VERY challenging back end things, that clearly are harder to fix than anticipated, the PlayBook is a test product line, it isn't their core business, phones have cell radios, and are not companion devices so registering them to the BIS and BES doesn't create issues like registering a Wifi only companion device that needs a second PIN entry into the BIS and BES for services.

do you Break your BES/BIS installations for a test item? I think not.

Now back to the Timeline focus.
    Jim pipes up 60 days, it isn't met, PR crumbles.
    They mention Summer/Fall/when ever. PR crumbles
    The CEO needs to NOT be piping up about timelines in public, but needs to be ontop of timelines internally, they need to know where the hiccups are, and address those hiccups, is the issue man power? technical? research? allocate the resources before it is already late for an Internal deadline,

The CTO, and COO's and Product managers, and VP's need to be focused on the technology being complete and competitive, the CEO needs to RUN the business, and RIM's stumbling blocks have been CEO's running mouths off, lack of Public Relation communication, lack of Advertising, and Late products. Those are things the face of the company can be really addressing, it's not like the CEO sits down to code an OS

Application support is one of the biggest problems going for the PlayBook right now. Why would that not be related to BBX?
    11-08-11 07:55 AM
    Application support is one of the biggest problems going for the PlayBook right now. Why would that not be related to BBX?
    PlayBook's Native SDK is a month old now?
    The PlayBook didn't have nearly as many tools for development as BBX based devices will
    The PlayBook didn't have "evangelists" promoting development
    RIM very much is addressing the Application support issue, Will they have iOS, and Android like support out of the box? MOST CERTAINLY NOT, but I suspect BBX will have a better Application library than BBOS7
    11-08-11 08:03 AM
    PlayBook's Native SDK is a month old now?
    The PlayBook didn't have nearly as many tools for development as BBX based devices will
    The PlayBook didn't have "evangelists" promoting development
    RIM very much is addressing the Application support issue, Will they have iOS, and Android like support out of the box? MOST CERTAINLY NOT, but I suspect BBX will have a better Application library than BBOS7
    I guess we just differ on opinions. Even though the tools are there, I think most developers are going to have a wait and see approach, which doesn't add up to good app support at launch.
    11-08-11 08:28 AM
    I guess we just differ on opinions. Even though the tools are there, I think most developers are going to have a wait and see approach, which doesn't add up to good app support at launch.
    That we do,
    Because I'm a bit of a techogeek when I get emails about service XYZ now being available on iOS/Android, I always respond with an email asking about BlackBerry support, I talk about BBM integration, and link to the developers tools,

I get many responses, more positive than negative, and the biggest trend is BBX development is underway or PlayBook development is underway, or pending, which gives me more hope about BBX,

Granted I wont be purchasing the first BBX device since it will be a full touchscreen slab, but when BBX is made available on a QWERTY device I will be upgrading
    11-08-11 08:32 AM
    Please why is that a better analogy?

It is just another case. My stance is that IT CAN work, does it work every time, no, but to say they must come from a technology company is flawed.
    Because thought Ford's new CEO did not come from the auto industry, he did come from another manufacturer of high tech vehicles (higher tech in fact). In any case, Fords problems were less about the technology and more about excessive labor costs due to generous Union contracts. It didn't help that the recession has hit middle America harder than it has hit the wealthier people who are not generally interested in Ford's products.
    11-08-11 09:26 AM
    Because thought Ford's new CEO did not come from the auto industry, he did come from another manufacturer of high tech vehicles (higher tech in fact). In any case, Fords problems were less about the technology and more about excessive labor costs due to generous Union contracts. It didn't help that the recession has hit middle America harder than it has hit the wealthier people who are not generally interested in Ford's products.
    RIM's problems are less about technology, and more about developer relations, RIM has an excellent technology backbone, but the consumers are not interested in RIM products, just like Ford.

RIM needs a streamline of their management structure, just like Ford, and RIM needs to address production issues, JUST like Ford.

RIM's position now is more like Ford in 2005 than it is like Apple in 1983
    akaquietstorm likes this.
    11-08-11 09:33 AM
    Galen Weston for the win. He can promote the phone while showing off some Presidents Choice products in his commercials

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 09:40 AM
    RIM's problems are less about technology, and more about developer relations, RIM has an excellent technology backbone, but the consumers are not interested in RIM products, just like Ford.

RIM needs a streamline of their management structure, just like Ford, and RIM needs to address production issues, JUST like Ford.

RIM's position now is more like Ford in 2005 than it is like Apple in 1983
    I was not aware that RIM had manufacturing issues.

They do have huge problems with their technolgy though. Their server side backbone does not appear to be that reliable nor can it seem to handle the idea that the same user may have more than one RIM device. Their client side software is going to be replaced just as soon as they can deliver the replacement. This plan they seem to be having problems executing.

Their situation is a lot like Apple's prior to the second coming.
    11-08-11 09:42 AM
    I was not aware that RIM had manufacturing issues.

They do have huge problems with their technolgy though. Their server side backbone does not appear to be that reliable nor can it seem to handle the idea that the same user may have more than one RIM device. Their client side software is going to be replaced just as soon as they can deliver the replacement. This plan they seem to be having problems executing.

Their situation is a lot like Apple's prior to the second coming.

RIM's manufacturing issues comes from the ground up, they manufacture software, and Hardware, They fail to meet timelines, this is a manufacturing issue, being hard or soft products.
    Apple in 1983 was not a market market dominate company losing power, they were a small company fighting for a name with other small company, they had no infriatructure to manage

Their Serverside backbone is no more unreliable than any other company's server side backbone, they had a recent failure, and are addresssing it, if MY ISP had the same uptime as RIM, I'd be much happier with them, Apple too has had issues with their server side stuff as of late, it just doesn't handle the same dataflow that RIM's does.

I still stand hard that a NON mobile technology company CEO could very much come in and do a Good job at RIM and turn things around.

BBX looks to be lining up well from the consumer end,
    I greatly expect BES / BIS next versions will be made to accommodate more than just a companion device, but use multiple PIN's registered to the server,
    RIM has already announced that they are going to be doing an audit on their backbone and going to be putting in more safe guards.
    The Technology of BlackBerry is very strong, They need some business practice review, not technological management
    11-08-11 10:00 AM
    Well, I think the entire upper management team needs to be replaced - including the CEOs. Looking from the outside it seems like there are a number of issues at play:

• RIM does not have a management team with a strong software background
    • Don't have a culture that's focused on product excellence
    • Do not seem to foster honest communication within the company
    • There is no accountability for consistent inability to meet deadlines
    • No easily articulated vision

Basically, right now it feels like the company is disorganized and demoralized. They need someone at the top who can articulate a vision, surround themselves by people who complement their skills (and who can speak truth to power) and make product excellence and accountability core to how every team operates. This probably means more employee churn, but I think that this will have huge long-term benefits.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    11-08-11 10:12 AM
    RIM's manufacturing issues comes from the ground up, they manufacture software, and Hardware, They fail to meet timelines, this is a manufacturing issue, being hard or soft products.

The Technology of BlackBerry is very strong, They need some business practice review, not technological management
    Missing software development deadlines is not a manufacturing problem, its a software engineering problem. RIM for the most part doesn't have too many manufacturing issues. They seem to be able to manufacture their handsets just fine (the 9900 bricking problems appear to be software related).

RIM may need some business practise review, but their core problem is an aging software architecture. BBM's reliance on a PIN rather than userid is one obvious example of this.
    11-08-11 11:24 AM
    So can we get back on topic- what the **** is this meeting about? Is it real?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-08-11 11:29 AM
    So can we get back on topic- what the **** is this meeting about? Is it real?
    I'm sure its just normal company business. Companies do have meetings from time to time and yes even unscheduled ones, although if its decided 2 days before then it is scheduled.
    Probably just trying to decide whether to order from Domino's or Pizza Hut
    EchoTango likes this.
    11-08-11 11:35 AM
    Missing software development deadlines is not a manufacturing problem, its a software engineering problem. RIM for the most part doesn't have too many manufacturing issues. They seem to be able to manufacture their handsets just fine (the 9900 bricking problems appear to be software related).

RIM may need some business practise review, but their core problem is an aging software architecture. BBM's reliance on a PIN rather than userid is one obvious example of this.
    Yep. They're trying to sell software based on an architecture that just isn't relevant (or even practical) anymore. RIM's struggles to make QNX compatible with their existing infrastructure is proof of that.
    11-08-11 11:39 AM
    Pretty sure this meeting is related to another "meeting" that is being held today at 430 PST
    11-08-11 01:48 PM
    I guess I'm the only one but I like Mike L. I've never met him but when I listen to him I just trust the guy.
    Sure, things have been tough and he did not read the content and apps play well but I think he got the memo now.

By the way, he is the man behind the Bold 9930 and I love my BB.

Just calling it like I see it. Mike is the man.
    11-08-11 02:04 PM
    Pretty sure this meeting is related to another "meeting" that is being held today at 430 PST
    I am thinking the same, WebOS is going to be part of RIM family soon
    11-08-11 02:09 PM
    80% chances RIM is the one buying WebOS
    Last edited by sf49ers; 11-08-11 at 02:27 PM.
    11-08-11 02:20 PM
    but does RIM have enough $$$ right now to risk it?
    11-08-11 02:26 PM
    Let's just hope this doesn't happen. I can't see how WebOS will help RIM other than very quickly burn more cash !
    lockedtight likes this.
    11-08-11 02:34 PM
    Patents
    Patents
    Patents

They need to start patent trolling too.

And they could license it out as an alternative to other phone companies and charge for their push infrastructure.
    11-08-11 02:37 PM
    My feeling on the rumour about WebOS is to make me wonder what is going on with BBX. There have been rumblings of issues for a while now, is WebOS being bought as a possible replacement? Is it simply a patent grab?

I would love to see WebOS thrive - I still think it's the best mobile OS out there right now. My love for WebOS is why I jumped on a Touchpad.
    11-08-11 03:02 PM
    Besides patents, it might be about acquiring the infrastructure and employees geared up towards making UI, and integrate more applications onto the platform. RIM seems to be little shorthanded in that department.
    11-08-11 03:09 PM
    Besides patents, it might be about acquiring the infrastructure and employees geared up towards making UI, and integrate more applications onto the platform. RIM seems to be little shorthanded in that department.
    This is exactly what I was thinking if this happens. Hopefully this can speed up the process of them executing.
    11-08-11 03:14 PM
    WebOS can't really cost that much. I'm sure they'd get it for cheap(ish).
    11-08-11 03:20 PM
111 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD