So I'm currently in Chicago right now. I went to the Museum of Science and Industry and reception kind of sucked. In any case, I noticed that it went into SOS mode a few times but I paid no mind to it.

I left the museum and I was looking for a restaurant when I realized that google maps wasn't working. It would not show "my location" with GPS on OR off.

The internet/3G seemed to work fine, so I tried twittering to see if VZW network is down and it refuses to send my tweet. I don't know what is up, so I'm just curious, does the SOS mode jack with my GPS signal? Is the SOS mode still being prioritized, thus blocking other signals from working? Or is this just merely a coincidence? Is the VZW network in Chicago sucking tonight (11/15)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 07:08 PM
    You might try a battery pull.
    11-15-09 07:13 PM
    You might try a battery pull.
    I tried a battery pull. It was still bad. When I turned on GPS to boost the signal for my location, the GPS is still "temporarily unavailable."

11-15-09 07:21 PM
    Isn't "SOS mode" GSM?

In CDMA, it says "no network available" (or similar).

GPS requires the mobile/cellular network to operate - not technically but for legal reasons.
    11-15-09 09:10 PM
    Isn't "SOS mode" GSM?

In CDMA, it says "no network available" (or similar).

GPS requires the mobile/cellular network to operate - not technically but for legal reasons.
    That's what it said on my phone. It showed a red SOS text on place of where 1XEV used to be. And yes, I'm on VZW.

When I was on Googlemaps, I turned on GPS and on the bottom, it read "GPS temporarily unavailable."

11-16-09 08:56 AM
    are you still in SOS mode?

google maps uses assisted GPS (A-GPS) which means it needs an active data connection to update your location and also to update the map as you move, if the phone is still in SOS mode then you don't have access to a data network.

if it is still in SOS mode try setting your connection from global to 1XEV in the connection manager and see if it reconnects to VZW
    11-16-09 09:03 AM
    I'm not in SOS mode anymore. Which is why it was weird. I was receiving 1XEV signal but my googlemaps could not triangulate my position nor find my location when I turned on the GPS.when I load a search, it'll just continue flashing "updating..." Twitterberry could not send tweets out too. But the browser, telephone, text and BBM worked fine (albeit the browser was a tad slow).

This is why I'm confused. I have "good reception" but gmaps and twitterberry or not functioning.

Which is why I'm wondering after being in SOS mode, can it jack up the gps or even the signal reception?

11-16-09 11:36 AM
    Not trying to thread jack or anything but what's SOS mode? Is that like an emergency mode or something? My Tour did it yesterday for a very short period of time.
    11-16-09 12:07 PM
    SOS mode is an emergency mode. I think its suppose to still send out a signal even when there is no reception.

11-16-09 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD