So I've had my Tour since Day 1 in July and I'm very satisfied with it overall BUT the Bluetooth DOES NOT WORK. No one can hear me. VZW employees in the store say there is nothing they can do..."maybe an upgrade will come out soon that takes care of it" but will not exchange it.

My question is ...Am I in the minority here? Don't most peoples' BlueTooth work without issue? If everyone else's seems to be working without issue, why will VZW not swap it out for another that is likely to work? I have seen that it is a reported issue on RIM website without a timeframe for repair.

How are people dealing with this? Moving on? Not using Bluetooth? I need to be Handsfree in the car and don't know what to do.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Have not tried calling in, just store twice. Do I want to start in with refurbs if everything else with phone is fine?

Thx
    11-18-09 07:33 PM
    What trouble shooting was done by VZW? Have you tried other B/T ear pieces?
    11-18-09 07:35 PM
    1st guy told me my Motorola H500 was not compatible so I bought a Jabra something that was no better. Also tried headphones with mic that comes w/ phone, still no good. Brought back to Verizon store, they said it is a system wide problem, changing earpiece will not help, so returned the Jabra. That's where I am at.

Please help.
    11-18-09 07:39 PM
    Was this in a store or tech support on the phone? If it was a store, I would tech support over the phone. Be prepared to have to wipe the device though. Meaning back it up before you call.

If there are no documented known issues, and the wipe does not resolve the issue, they will most likely replace the device.

800-922-0204 opt 3
    11-18-09 07:50 PM
    With all due respect as you're fairly new here, did you try a little searching?
    Search "Tour Bluetooth" and I bet there will be a hundred threads and 1,000 posts.

YES, this is an extremely common issue with the Tour's initial OS, 4.7.1.40.
    Verizon released a short-lived OS upgrade (.53) that ended up fixing Bluetooth for those with the problem but was unfortunately crashing some devices along the way as well.
    Since then other OS upgrades have come out on different carriers (.57 then .61) but VZW has never released another upgrade. Telus is the other major North American CDMA carrier that has NEVER released any OS upgrade for the Tour.

Do NOT exchange your Tour over this issue alone. What you're describing is the Bluetooth issue with the OS software.

Here's the good news: All OS upgrades are official releases from RIM and can be installed on your Tour as long as you delete on file called Vendor.

I have installed each OS upgrade as they came out. Bluetooth worked on .53 and .57 and then was improved a little more for me with .61.

The newest OS always has a Sticky at the top of the Tour Forum here on CB. Install instructions are usually posted too. Read through the whole thread. It's long, but you'll gain the experience of other newbies who have posted before you so it goes easier for you.

One other point, make sure you download with Internet Explorer, as opposed to other browsers on your computer, like Firefox, Chrome, etc. I'm 0 for 3 on downloads I've accidentally done with Firefox, which I have as the default browser on my computer.
    11-18-09 07:58 PM
    Was this in a store or tech support on the phone? If it was a store, I would tech support over the phone. Be prepared to have to wipe the device though. Meaning back it up before you call.

If there are no documented known issues, and the wipe does not resolve the issue, they will most likely replace the device.

800-922-0204 opt 3
    With all due respect, this is an extremely documented issue. There was a Stciky on Tour Bluetooth issues on the Tour Forum for its first few months. The Sticky was only taken down within the last couple weeks, presumably because of how many CB users have upgraded their OS to remedy the issue.

For those with that have reported the issue in the first place, the only fix has been an OS upgrade.
    11-18-09 08:01 PM
    With all due respect, this is an extremely documented issue. There was a Stciky on Tour Bluetooth issues on the Tour Forum for its first few months. The Sticky was only taken down within the last couple weeks, presumably because of how many CB users have upgraded their OS to remedy the issue.

For those with that have reported the issue in the first place, the only fix has been an OS upgrade.
    With all do respect back at you. VZW does not recognize what is documented here. If is is not internally documented, then it is not a known issue to them. With this in mind, I have device on the original os and mine running .53 and no B/T issues on either.

Maybe another device wuld help the OP's problem as he has a law that reauires B/T for driving, or he can install a non-released version of the OS and take a chance that VZW will not support any other problems with deivce.

Options gotta love em.
    11-18-09 08:06 PM
    Ok, fair enough. I misunderstood what you meant about the "documented" part, obviously.

I accidentally nuked my Tour while upgrading to .61. (MY fault, I realized after!)
    After re-loading the stock Telus OS with my dealer rep, I had totally forgotten about the Bluetooth issue as it's been a couple months since .53 first came out. First call I made, the person's asking what's wrong with my phone and it all came back to me.

Successfully upgraded to .61 the next night adn was right back to using Bluetooth successfully.

It's worth pointing out that OS upgrades in the same series (i.e 4.7.1.XX) will likely not be noticed by a tech. Well a Telus tech would never notice such a thing, but they're just fleshy robots!
    BUT if you had another issue requiring hands-on tech support you could always load the carrier's official release OS before going in.

A hassle, uh-huh. But worth it for me!
    For me it was the night day difference of a phone that worked or didn't as I too do a lot of car-talking.
    In BC, our no-phone-in-hand law doesn't start until Jan 1st, but I have hated holding the phone since my first time on BT.
    11-18-09 08:19 PM
    Ok, fair enough. I misunderstood what you meant about the "documented" part, obviously.

I accidentally nuked my Tour while upgrading to .61. (MY fault, I realized after!)
    After re-loading the stock Telus OS with my dealer rep, I had totally forgotten about the Bluetooth issue as it's been a couple months since .53 first came out. First call I made, the person's asking what's wrong with my phone and it all came back to me.

Successfully upgraded to .61 the next night adn was right back to using Bluetooth successfully.

It's worth pointing out that OS upgrades in the same series (i.e 4.7.1.XX) will likely not be noticed by a tech. Well a Telus tech would never notice such a thing, but they're just fleshy robots!
    BUT if you had another issue requiring hands-on tech support you could always load the carrier's official release OS before going in.

A hassle, uh-huh. But worth it for me!
    For me it was the night day difference of a phone that worked or didn't as I too do a lot of car-talking.
    In BC, our no-phone-in-hand law doesn't start until Jan 1st, but I have hated holding the phone since my first time on BT.
    I have always hated B/T, not as bad since I got my Blueant visor unit. This makes it tollerable, as I hate sticking things in my ears.

You are correct about most reps as they do not check the OS, but I know ones that do
    11-18-09 08:27 PM
    So which option would you guys take...

1) Call VZW and attempt to get new device / refurb that has functional B/T
    or
    2) Download new OS from other carrier

How easy/hard is this to do for an admitted newbie? What are the chances I nuke my phone? Which cuurent OS version would you go with?

Why Lastraid have you not upgraded your OS? Risky, no?
    11-18-09 08:31 PM
    So which option would you guys take...

1) Call VZW and attempt to get new device / refurb that has functional B/T
    or
    2) Download new OS from other carrier

How easy/hard is this to do for an admitted newbie? What are the chances I nuke my phone? Which cuurent OS version would you go with?

Why Lastraid have you not upgraded your OS? Risky, no?
    Choice is yours. I got the .53 when it released by RIM and pulled a few hours later cause it was bricking phones, including mine. Upgrades for the most part go well, but can have issues. I have always run official version of the OS for reason I cannot talk about here.

If you choose to upgrade read everything you can about it here. If the device bricks 99% of time they can be recovered, again lots of good info here.

As soon as VZW releases 5.0, I am on it
    11-18-09 08:36 PM
    And take this advice that I learned the hard way: before installing a new OS, back up your BB with Desktop Manager. Also back up your 3rd party apps, as this is not included in a typical DM backup. There is a thread or two with simple instructions on this. A search should find it right away.

From my posts, I'm sure you'll see my vote is the OS upgrade, but follow lastraid's advice to read up first!

If you're going to bother, go for the newest, 4.7.1.61.
    Of course there's also the leaked 5.0's that some rave about

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 09:07 PM
    Just one more thing. When searching CB use google. Just put crackberry in with the search terms. You will get much better results than using CB's search.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD