A few years ago, In the UK, all the teens wanted BBM, but that's now available on an iPhone....
    (they wanted BBM so they had free secure instant group messaging - for things like: organising low level crime, all the way up to arranging looting and rioting!)

Surely things like Viber will work ok on the Z30 when the OS is finally upgraded?

I understand that teaching patience to teenagers is a good thing, but alternatively, IF your son had stated that he definitely did NOT want a BlackBerry then I can understand why he is upset to receive one
    12-28-13 07:14 AM
    Blackberry is never going to be like they were in the past! Every child wanted to own a Blackberry mainly because of BBM! Everyone I knew was on BBM and that was awesome! I didn't have one friend who owned a Samsung or LG...

I think, the biggest mistake that Blackberry made was launching BBM on Apple and Samsung because there were still people I knew with Blackberry Bold's and Blackberry Z10's but the minute BBM launched cross platform, they all started moving to IOS and Andriod! I really do love my Blackberry Q10 but I think in 2 years time, when my upgrade is due, I will be going to Samsung route as I can't see Blackberry ever carrying on

MY OPINION!!! I really do love my Blackberry but we all know that they are really struggling! They at least need to get the app situation worked out as lots of people are on Instagram and the only way to get Instagram is to sideload it or download a third party application

Pounded on the best BB10 device - Q10
    12-28-13 07:59 AM
    Am I the only one to think... Take away his phone and give the ungrateful brat an LG flip phone from the 90's.

Problem solved.

Posted via CB from my LE
    You could have made your point without bashing the OPs child.
    Mr.mister likes this.
    12-28-13 08:01 AM
    Just give the kid what he wants, not what you want him to get. The Z30 won't suit his needs no matter how hard it's shoved down his throat.
    12-28-13 08:04 AM
    Blackberry is a secure communication device. If your son wants a toy, buy an apple product.
    12-28-13 08:14 AM
    We've already answered the problem... get the latest leak and probably the most stable version of BB10 and install Snap to get any Google Play apps. *apps requiring Google play services won't work
    The other option is to sell the Z30 and buy the kid a iPhone 4 rofl.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Installing a leak is not an option for the average consumer. Telling people to go out of their way to install software that is not official is unheard of to most. It also reflects poorly on the company when the kid goes out and tells everyone that he had to "hack" his device to get it to work properly (have all the apps) like the others.

Just give the kid the iPhone so you stop wasting your money , and if he still doesn't accept it after that, a lesson should be learned.
    JeepBB and ajst222 like this.
    12-28-13 08:18 AM
    Is the advice to side load APKs from untrusted sources or a leaked OS, not incredibly risky? What control do you have over the security/safety of these binaries? This seems like very risky advice to be giving out from my perspective?

I'll never be able to reconcile this communities delight at the security of BlackBerry solutions, with the consistent pushing of installing unverified and untrustworthy binaries to your device.

The same security if you were to load them onto an android device, actually more secure once you consider them running in a sandboxed environment.
    12-28-13 08:24 AM
    Installing a leak is not an option for the average consumer. Telling people to go out of their way to install software that is not official is unheard of to most. It also reflects poorly on the company when the kid goes out and tells everyone that he had to "hack" his device to get it to work properly (have all the apps) like the others.

Just give the kid the iPhone so you stop wasting your money , and if he still doesn't accept it after that, a lesson should be learned.

As apposed to a kid saying "I Jailbroke my ..." or "Irooted my ....".

I see.
    curvezzz and Paisley Pirate like this.
    12-28-13 08:26 AM

I see.
    Where did I say anyone should do this as well? The majority of iOS and Android users don't jailbreak or root their devices.
    ajst222, bp3dots, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    12-28-13 08:29 AM
    Son gets Z30 to replace his Z10 for Xmas.  THEN decides He Wants iPhone Because of the "App Gap"!-5qp1r.jpg

What a nice father... Merry Christmas!
    curvezzz and bbq10l like this.
    12-28-13 08:37 AM
    Point and blank the iPhone is a toy. Blackberry is for grown ups.
    You're joking, right? Or do you seriously not understand that not only is the iPhone as fuctional for communicating via email/sms/phone, it surpasses BB in communicating via social media (which is used by millions of business users for work on top of the purely social aspect) AND iPhone has MORE productivity apps available covering a variety of fields.

C'mon man.
    avt123, ajst222, bbq10l and 2 others like this.
    12-28-13 08:39 AM
    Op should have purchased his kid an iPhone (imo). Is there a specific reason why you chose the z30?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    avt123, ajst222 and bbq10l like this.
    12-28-13 08:39 AM
    Have you used 10.2.1? And Snap ? We have the entire Android library in our hands.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    The entire FREE Android library, not paid apps.
    dannykavs likes this.
    12-28-13 08:40 AM

I see.
    you dont have to hack them to make simple apps work though, android rooting is unneccesary unless you want to run complicated apps that need admin status like root explorer to delete system apks (a regular person might accidentally brick their device doing this) or setcpu (a regular guy might overclock too far and his phone might break) or change to a custom rom of your preference (not an official google/samsung w.e update) and ios jailbreaking is for greater customisation of home screen design or pirating paid apps
    avt123 likes this.
    12-28-13 08:42 AM
    Op should have purchased his kid an iPhone (imo). Is there a specific reason why you chose the z30?

Here's the thing, I don't think he said his son is a kid, everybody is just assuming lol.
    12-28-13 08:43 AM
    My youngest son had a Z10 I got him and myself at launch. He kept having to use his iPod Touch because if app issues. I got tired of waiting for Instagram, Skype that didn't suck, which we were told was coming so when the iPhone 5s event happened and the 5 prices dropped, I gave the Z10 to my wife and got him and his older brother iPhone 5 as Birthday gifts and now they only need one device and are happy. Got my oldest son in college a Z10 because of the $200 US Black Friday deal for his Birthday because his 9360 was over two years old and having tons of issues.

I'm not tinkering with phones to load OS and side load apps and running BlackBerry tech support service for the family out of my home because I work with technology all day at work and want my evenings and weekends for fun, non-nerdy things. The iPhone and the Z10 were the same price, and the kids like the iPhone better so no reason not to get them the phone that they prefer, especially since I can now BBM them on the iPhones.

I've seen four phones in my family and extended family go from BlackBerry to iPhone and Android, down from 7 BlackBerry devices. The BB10 launch, like the PlayBook launch, was an unfinished product that needed another year or two to bake. People on here want to side load, load leaks, put lots of time and effort in and then claim BlackBerry has fixed the problems, but most people expect the phone to work box and a simple trip to the app store and then go on with life. BlackBerry needs 10.2.1 out, it come preloaded with Google Play, and then market the hell out of it. Otherwise they will continue to not be option because there are more complete solutions available that just work, not work with a lot of work put into them.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:45 AM
    Here's the thing, I don't think he said his son is a kid, everybody is just assuming lol.
    True, true. You know what they say about those that assume. Lol

12-28-13 08:46 AM
    Point and blank the iPhone is a toy. Blackberry is for grown ups.
    Then why are grown-ups abandoning it in droves?
    avt123, bbq10l, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    12-28-13 08:46 AM
    Have you used 10.2.1? And Snap ? We have the entire Android library in our hands.
    The kid wants a specific device, get him that device. There is often a lag between when something is offered on iOS then Android. If the kid wanted a HTC One then I would agree with you but he wants a different platform.

Take QuizUp, it's the latest craze for iOS and not available for Android which means it's not available for 10.2.1

All we're doing is creating resentment to our platform by forcing our choices on other people. If the Z10 didn't make the kid happy, why would going to a bigger 5" device? The 5c/s is 4" which means the OP completely misread what the kid wanted.
    Acidwire and bbq10l like this.
    12-28-13 08:47 AM
    His son is his kid. Kid is used in more than just "young person". The OPs son is his child/kid.
    12-28-13 08:49 AM
    His son is his kid. Kid is used in more than just "young person". The OPs son is his child/kid.
    Yes but everybody is assuming he's young and his father bought it for him.

He said "son gets a Z30" not "I bought a Z30 for my son"

I'm somebody's son too but I'm 36 lol
    12-28-13 08:53 AM
    Yes but everybody is assuming he's young and his father bought it for him.

He said "son gets a Z30" not "I bought a Z30 for my son"

I'm somebody's son too but I'm 36 lol
    I think people are assuming he didn't buy it because of the title of the thread. Usually when you get something for Christmas it's a gift, unless you use money you get (which is still a gift) to buy something yourself. Unfortunately the OP didn't really give enough details to really know.
    12-28-13 09:07 AM
    Make him buy it himself then see what phone he wants.
    OP, if YOU AGREED to buy him a phone then you should have bought him what he wanted. You already knew the limitations but perhaps forced your choices on him? An iphone is a great phone and a great gift. Making him keep a phone you know he doesn't want only breeds resentment towards you and BlackBerry. Not much of a gift I would say...

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    12-28-13 09:08 AM
    Brainwash your son. Lol!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:08 AM
    You're joking, right? Or do you seriously not understand that not only is the iPhone as fuctional for communicating via email/sms/phone, it surpasses BB in communicating via social media (which is used by millions of business users for work on top of the purely social aspect) AND iPhone has MORE productivity apps available covering a variety of fields.

C'mon man.
    Seriously, you need to get real. Productivity of a phone isn't directly correlated to the actual volume of sales. It is all about marketing. Yes Apple is king in phone sales but BB10 phone Z30 is the productivity beast, period.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:14 AM
474 12345 ...