How can BlackBerry overcome this? It is a losing battle it seems.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by elite1; 12-28-13 at 02:06 PM.
    12-27-13 09:18 PM
    Be a good father and sideload the mainstream apps until 10.2.1 is officially released. Ah hell, just install the leak directly and then install. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    saxxman, bitek, Refayah and 10 others like this.
    12-27-13 09:23 PM
    Why not give the kid what he wants? The truth is, you side load apps that are available on Android but the vast majority of new apps are going to be iOS first. So maybe he's happy with side loaded items for the moment but it won't last.

I want BBRY To thrive but not when we force decisions on people because you control the purse strings.
    12-27-13 09:29 PM
    I know you only have 17 posts, and not that I am getting on you for this, but this is old news already. We all know what apps BB has or in this case doesn't have. With 10.2 around the corner this is going to change. If someone is not willing to accept the app limitation on BB then they should just get what platform pleases them the most. Most younger people that I know are not really into BB as it is not hip enough for them, and it is missing the essential apps that someone that age uses on a daily basis
    12-27-13 09:30 PM
    Load up 10.2.1.1925 and your son can download those apps directly from apk stores like Amazon or 1mobile. Could also use native stores like snap. The leaks is simple to load if he isn't willing to wait for the official 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ray689; 12-27-13 at 11:23 PM.
    Thunderbuck and XDrew42 like this.
    12-27-13 09:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry can't and never will. Be a good father and buy him an iPhone. Then, sell the Z30 to me.
    12-27-13 09:34 PM
    Must be nice to have so much money.
    AlexB1227 likes this.
    12-27-13 09:35 PM
    So, OP, will you be trading in your son's Z30 for an iPhone? What made you decide to get him the Z30? I'm just curious.
    93Aero likes this.
    12-27-13 10:59 PM
    Show him how to load up Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 and then sideload an app called Snap. Then you can download and install those apps directly to your BB10 phone. He can download android apps AND BB10 apps on his own.
    To answer your second question, THAT is how BlackBerry intends to address the app issue.
    Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    tkgafs and XDrew42 like this.
    12-27-13 11:05 PM
    So you're replacing a Z10 that's less than a year old with another device, and we wonder why the kid still wants more? Hmmm. . .
    12-27-13 11:08 PM
    Why not give the kid what he wants? The truth is, you side load apps that are available on Android but the vast majority of new apps are going to be iOS first. So maybe he's happy with side loaded items for the moment but it won't last.

I want BBRY To thrive but not when we force decisions on people because you control the purse strings.
    Have you used 10.2.1? And Snap ? We have the entire Android library in our hands.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-27-13 11:08 PM
    what device do you use OP? why not get him the Iphone and take z30 off his hands. Download latest OS leak and then load the apps YOU want...and oh download a few movies on there too. Watch them with your 5 inch screen and lovely natural sound while he plays Candy Crush on his not large screen...no sense in making the boy hate the phone he has. orrrrrr.....sellittomeforalowlowprice Deal??
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-27-13 11:20 PM
    Make him buy it himself then see what phone he wants.
    12-27-13 11:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Am I the only one to think... Take away his phone and give the ungrateful brat an LG flip phone from the 90's.

Problem solved.

Posted via CB from my LE
    12-27-13 11:34 PM
    OP - It's just that kids these days want a iDevice as everybody in his group must be on it and if he carries BB, people would stare at him badly which your son never wants.. Trust me, iDevice has become a status symbol.. I have used iPhones for around 3 years and after switching to Z10, I cannot go back to a device which has a home button and so much stress in multi-tasking.. again, it's all about personal preference.. Kids need iPhones/iPads these days which is OK..
    12-27-13 11:34 PM
    Make him buy it himself then see what phone he wants.
    Agree with you 100%.

In my family, if you want something instead of what is given to you, you have to buy it with your hard earned cash. When my niece wanted a cellphone, I told her that her parents and I could get her a Z10, anything else then she's on her own. She loves the Z10 more every day when I taught her how instead leak OS's and now she's very tech savvy.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 11:35 PM
    Is the advice to side load APKs from untrusted sources or a leaked OS, not incredibly risky? What control do you have over the security/safety of these binaries? This seems like very risky advice to be giving out from my perspective?

I'll never be able to reconcile this communities delight at the security of BlackBerry solutions, with the consistent pushing of installing unverified and untrustworthy binaries to your device.
    12-27-13 11:40 PM
    Is the advice to side load APKs from untrusted sources or a leaked OS, not incredibly risky? What control do you have over the security/safety of these binaries? This seems like very risky advice to be giving out from my perspective?
    Why are you getting your APKs from untrusted resources instead of many if the working appworld options?

Moreover, as an Android developer myself, I assure you the APKs direct from Google play are no safer .

My advice is to take the phone away from the snot nosed kid and tell him to go get a job. But running an APK to install is very normal on android - and former Android users would not perceive this as a risk worth caring about in their opinion.

A person may not want to install an APK. But then again, they don't have to.

Posted via CB from my LE
    12-27-13 11:45 PM
    rich kids nothing is good enough , get a job and paid for it your self

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS and Tilman Mueller like this.
    12-27-13 11:49 PM

I'll never be able to reconcile this communities delight at the security of BlackBerry solutions, with the consistent pushing of installing unverified and untrustworthy binaries to your device.
    That is just you. Is there any evidence of a security breach from loading a beta OS or a Sandboxed Android app? The reason you see leaks recommended so much is most people don't have major issues with bugs. Snap downloads from Google play, and as of yet, I am unaware of anybody having unverified and untrustworthy binaries that affect the overall security of the device

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-27-13 11:52 PM
    rich kids nothing is good enough , get a job and paid for it your self

Posted via CB10
    And three weeks from now he's going to want the new, new iPhone instead of the one the OP is trading to :P

Posted via CB from my LE
    12-27-13 11:52 PM

We're getting them directly from Google play... but don't tell Google.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    bungaboy and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-27-13 11:54 PM
    Son gets Z30 to replace his Z10 for Xmas.  THEN decides He Wants iPhone Because of the "App Gap"!-img_20131228_005525.png
    Son gets Z30 to replace his Z10 for Xmas.  THEN decides He Wants iPhone Because of the "App Gap"!-img_20131228_005619.png
    Install 10.2.1.1925 = profit.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-27-13 11:57 PM
    From other posts of OP:

My new z30 is totally awesome. My teenagers are drooling, and now that the app gap is gone, this baby crushes the iPhone.

My new z30 buries the iPhone so bad. Now that we have the apps there is simply no comparison. NONE!

I guess Fathers no longer sound like fathers...
    12-27-13 11:59 PM
    Tell him to appreciate what he has and not to be a brat.
    12-28-13 12:17 AM
474 123 ...