So many companies are removing support for their Blackberry apps. Its like they drop support because of low customer demand, but there is no customer demand because they wont make apps!! Im really hoping when BB10 comes out the apps will be there, because if not, it wont matter how awesome the phone is.

I just saw this tweet from Telenav. Telenav is one of my most used apps. Its the best voice -guided GPS available for Blackberry...and its only $10/yr. They're no longer supporting Verizon Blackberry's

Sometimes its like you're being forced to switch platforms :(-scrncapt.jpg
    10-29-12 06:44 PM
    You bring up an interesting point and one, that I wish companies would be more clear about.

Yes.. A LOT of developers are dropping support for legacy BlackBerry devices. BUT.. they're also failing to mention that they're also ramping up efforts for BlackBerry 10 support.

Not saying this is the case for TELENAV, because I dunno their plans but not long ago, everyone made a stink abt the WSJ dropping their BlackBerry support. Only problem is, WSJ never mentioned the fact that they were only dropping legacy support and will, in fact, be a BlackBerry 10 launch partner.

So, next time you (or anyone who reads this) ask about something like the discontinuation of support -- also ask if there is plans to support BlackBerry 10 instead.
    pantlesspenguin and Jince like this.
    10-29-12 06:58 PM
    yeah, I've asked if they will support BB10 but they've never answered. I need my Telenav! or something just as good.
    10-29-12 07:17 PM
    Telenav subscriptions are likely dropping like flies... People no longer need to shell out $10 a month for turn by turn nav (they didn't before either, but now more people know better).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-29-12 07:20 PM
    Telenav subscriptions are likely dropping like flies... People no longer need to shell out $10 a month for turn by turn nav (they didn't before either, but now more people know better).
    It's $10/year. That's a huge bargain
    10-29-12 07:21 PM
    It's $10/year. That's a huge bargain
    BB Traffic is free.
    southlander and Jince like this.
    10-29-12 07:47 PM
    You are being forced to switch platforms. I don't think these things just happen. They happen for a reason. The reason most people would give you is because people have simply lost trust in blackberry. But, there is an underlying reason for that. What reason is that? Because people are being forced to switch platforms. Yea you read that correctly. I know, I know, I'm crazy. But in a way it's true. Listen, I've been one to not trust media reports because reporting tends to be very biased these days. I have seen a lot of negatively headlined stories that follow something like "Blackberry unveils new phones but, is it too little too late?" or how about some real ones from popular sources: From CNet: "BlackBerry's new look: fresh, sleek and, misguided" Almost the entire article compares it to windows phone 7. NBC news:"New BlackBerry will look like ... all the other phones"<<just a developer version right? not according to them. Also NBC: "Dumping Your BlackBerry? Join the Club" From CBC: "RIM's faster, app-ier new PlayBook tablet comes at a price" <<Look at the comments on that one. Wow. The media gets paid to make the worst out of nothing. But everyone believes their word, especially investors. Investors cant let cash wait around to be lost for good. My example for that? Thread posted yesterday "good bye blackberry!!!" That poster is a RIM shareholder. What RIM shareholder buys an iPhone and tells everyone at a popular blackberry site to switch to iPhone 5 before it's too late??? Ok enough ranting. I just go nuts when people ask why I still have a blackberry.
    10-29-12 07:48 PM
    BB Traffic is free.
    Telenav is so much better though. It looks a lot more advanced has more features.

Ok enough ranting. I just go nuts when people ask why I still have a blackberry.
    I hate the question too, and I'm not giving up on Blackberry, but its just so frustrating. Its a great phone that other people wont support. What I hate the most is how they either drop support or keep their Blackberry app and not upgrade it.

For example, Live Nation removed their Blackberry app. There really was no reason. Its just an app to buy tickets and have them scanned from your phone. Many Blackberry's are capable of this, so why drop support? The reasoning just makes no sense to me.

Same thing with Instagram. Instagram could easily be available for Blackberry but its not. No real reason why its not. All BB's have cameras and can have filters applied to photos.
    10-29-12 07:58 PM
    BB Traffic is free, turn-by-turn voice navigation for Blackberry phones. Google maps is free navigation with no voice. Blackberry Maps is free. BB10 will have some sort of TomTom based navigation app for free. Telenav uses the same data source, TomTom, that RIM uses for Blackberry Traffic and the upcoming BB10 app. Android has free apps and so do iOS. Telenav is trying to sell you something that is now free through a variety of sources.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-29-12 08:03 PM
    BB Traffic is free, turn-by-turn voice navigation for Blackberry phones. Google maps is free navigation with no voice. Blackberry Maps is free. BB10 will have some sort of TomTom based navigation app for free. Telenav uses the same data source, TomTom, that RIM uses for Blackberry Traffic and the upcoming BB10 app. Android has free apps and so do iOS. Telenav is trying to sell you something that is now free through a variety of sources.
    Have you tried Telenav? Its makes BB Traffic look like a joke. Telenav is/was well worth the $0.83/month ($10/yr).
    I really hope BB Traffic improves it interface. It has a lot of potential to be great.

Telenav:

Blackberry Traffic:
    10-29-12 08:17 PM
    Just so some of you know, Google Maps does offer voice navigation on some Android phones. Not sure about all. And, in my experience, it works extremely well and is very accurate.
    10-29-12 08:24 PM
    Alot of that has to do with RIM taking so long to produce a product. I get this is a new operating system, but it still should not take this long to develop a product. Everybody, and I mean everybody is displaying new products and RIM is just sitting waiting in the wing. This is not good for the waiting customer base and will ultimately equal lower application development. Please don't give me that 80 million customer base because many of those customer's don't reside in the US and we are the biggest economy of consumption.
    10-29-12 09:06 PM
    Alot of that has to do with RIM taking so long to produce a product. I get this is a new operating system, but it still should not take this long to develop a product. Everybody, and I mean everybody is displaying new products and RIM is just sitting waiting in the wing. This is not good for the waiting customer base and will ultimately equal lower application development. Please don't give me that 80 million customer base because many of those customer's don't reside in the US and we are the biggest economy of consumption.
    I agree. There really is no excuse for BB10 not being released this year. Forget the Playbook 4G and cheap Curves. All the focus should have been put into BB10 coming out this Fall. Your non-Blackberry enthusiast is not gonna wait around for a company or apps when they can just go with a platform that already has those things.

I really want to see RIM succeed. Not only does the phone need to be great, but they NEED mainstream app support.
    10-29-12 09:18 PM
    BB Traffic is free.
    And available worldwide. Wait. No. It's not.

Here in Brasil, on Vivo, we get Vivo Copiloto, which is a free version of Telenav.

I wonder if we'll be next. And no BlackBerry Traffic love for us...
    10-29-12 10:13 PM
    Yes I feel your pain. Being a tech geek at heart and by trade I wish I could do code so I could update or keep certain apps running. Like xm radio. I could buy a 9000 and stream it flawlessly but my 9900 can't. I never had telenav because att blocks it but I agree it looks better. Bbtraffic is great in a pinch but most people want to see where they are going in a map.

Its a catch22. Dropping support because lack of customers but lack of customers because they have no app support. Its a loose loose for legacy berrys right now.
    10-30-12 01:11 AM
    Yes I feel your pain. Being a tech geek at heart and by trade I wish I could do code so I could update or keep certain apps running. Like xm radio. I could buy a 9000 and stream it flawlessly but my 9900 can't. I never had telenav because att blocks it but I agree it looks better. Bbtraffic is great in a pinch but most people want to see where they are going in a map.

Its a catch22. Dropping support because lack of customers but lack of customers because they have no app support. Its a loose loose for legacy berrys right now.
    Yeah, its the same problem with Spotify. They FINALLY made it available for Blackberry but it works on older ones. My 8900 Curve can get Spotify, but my 9930 Bold can't.
    10-30-12 10:29 AM