Let's just be human beings.
    Back on the track; share, learn and enjoy helping. #Whatelse?

#bold <> #snooty
    01-29-13 03:09 PM
    Let's just be human beings.
    Back on the track; share, learn and enjoy helping. #Whatelse?

#bold <> #snooty
    dont have twitter
    01-29-13 03:11 PM
    Totally agree with the OP.
    it really puts me off a platform when the fans disregard all other competition with disdain.
    There is nothing out in the world that is near perfect.
    I will try and do my best to give impartial advice as best i can, when i can.
    pantlesspenguin, Eli_B and jakie55 like this.
    01-29-13 03:12 PM
    Well said. I plan on doing my part.
    01-29-13 03:15 PM
    Come tomrrow morning, almost all of us will be BB10 newbs.
    john_v likes this.
    01-29-13 03:24 PM
    That's a good point - all that stored up knowledge about Blackberries work - all out of the window - many of the newbies will know more about it than long-term people. Hopefully this place will avoid the terrible scenes over at WebOSnation where the hardcore were attacking people who bought firesale touchpads for daring to ask questions of their beloved WebOS.

Of course we will also have the inescapable "Why I am returning to my Blackberry 9XXXX" threads, they will appear as such as night follows day and are always a mess.
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-29-13 03:26 PM
    01-29-13 03:28 PM
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again. After tomorrow and news of BB10 hits all tech journals, people will want to discuss it. They'll eventually find their way here. I really, really hope CB members will help the community put its best foot forward in helping new members get FACTS instead of emotional responses. Some people may not have had a BlackBerry in years and haven't heard much about BB10 and might be operating under outdated assumptions. If they're legitimately coming here for answers to their questions, there's no reason to cry "troll" prematurely. Same with people that come to say "I've been using iPhone/Android for the past couple years, and I have some questions. Will BB10 be able to do [feature] as well as iPhone/Android? Will the quality of apps be the same as iPhone/Android? Etc etc etc." Again, recognize that they're not necessarily trolling. They want to learn about BB10, and right now the platform that they've been using is what they'll be measuring BB10 against. Emotional responses such as "BB10 is going to SMASH iPhone/Android into pieces and will be the #1 platform in 6 months and anyone still using an iPhone/Android then will be sheep who want to play with their toys yada yada" won't be nearly as effective as "To do this function on BB10 you need to swipe here and select this option, whereas on iPhone/Android you need to swipe here and long press here so it's almost the same thing it's just a different process than you're used to, etc."

When I first came to CB, it was after the Great Sidekick Outage of 2009. I was looking for a new phone/platform and had narrowed my choices between the BlackBerry 9700 and Motorola Cliq. I joined and asked questions about BlackBerry and the 9700 in particular and what I could expect to be the same/different from my current Sidekick. From the answers I received it was obvious that no one had any clue what the Sidekick platform was capable of. The PERCEPTION of it was that it was a phone for teens and that's it, whereas my experience with the platform was competely different. It was greatly discouraging. Through my own research I beleived the 9700 would be better for my needs than the Cliq. That was the phone I got, the reason why I stayed on at CB, and the reason I've been interested in BlackBerry and RIM as a company ever since.

I can see the same thing happening now with users coming to learn about BB10. There are so many misconceptions about the capabilities of other platforms being thrown around on the board, and I know some people think it's cute to spread these misconceptions as fact in some misguided attempt to support RIM, but that's REALLY not what CB needs to be about right now. If we as a community want to see BB10 succeed we're going to need to be as helpful and truthful as possible to potential owners and not flood the boards with senseless drivel and arguments. I know some people might be thinking "OMG Penguin, like YOU'RE really one to talk!" I'm saying that I plan to do my part, and I really hope that others follow suit for the sake of CB and to promote BB10 in a logical and honest manner.
    Bravo....Bravo!!!!!!!! Well said, my friend.
    I'm going to patiently wait till I learn what I need to on the ZS10, then I'm coming back home.
    And Mods, I want my CB user name back, too.....BERRYJUNKIE !!!!!!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-29-13 03:35 PM
    i know that is the link... but how do i add it to my signature? when I replace the [url] code with [img] it just shows text
    01-29-13 03:37 PM
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again. After tomorrow and news of BB10 hits all tech journals, people will want to discuss it. They'll eventually find their way here. I really, really hope CB members will help the community put its best foot forward in helping new members get FACTS instead of emotional responses.

.......SNIP........

I'm saying that I plan to do my part, and I really hope that others follow suit for the sake of CB and to promote BB10 in a logical and honest manner.
    AWESOME POST!!!!!!!!

THIS is a community leader.

Mods...take notice.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Eli_B, pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-29-13 03:39 PM
    It would be nice if a "Welcome New Members!" thread was stickied here, instead of it being in the CB Rehab section. If I were a newbie, I wouldn't think of looking there.
    This a great idea!!!!
    01-29-13 03:42 PM
    i will third that ... a WELCOME SECTION would be a place where we can go in and post some positive comments and info rather than seeing the people make a dumb post and others jumping all over them.

maybe even somehow making the user default to the WELCOME SECTION after they register.
    01-29-13 03:47 PM
    Oh and on that note, please don't troll other mobile nations sites with abuse and ill manners as this will only flame us and make us ALL look bad.
    #BB10BELIEVE
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Unfortunately there are a couple of people trolling on iMore already.

01-29-13 03:48 PM
    i know that is the link... but how do i add it to my signature? when I replace the [url] code with [url] it just shows text
    I think only the MODfia can have images in their signatures?????
    01-29-13 03:50 PM
    As a forum vet...I know its the right time to stay away from the forums. In other forums I helped mod, we'd lock things before major news/releases just to have a quiet period. That doesnt make sense here per say, but it helped in that case to keep the knuckleheadness to a minimum. I dont envy the mods, good luck
    01-29-13 03:50 PM
    Love it! lol

to OP: Well said, Pantless.

PS - where are your pants?
    01-29-13 03:54 PM
    Great post...as I type this, we are at 3,722,072 members. I wonder how long it takes to hit 4 Million. Also, the Most users ever online was 17,859, 02-21-2012 at 11:10 AM. Wonder how much we blow that away by tomorrow.

My point being, yes there is going to be an absolute influx of people, and the OP is spot on. Let's show people why CB is the #1 BB site!!
    01-29-13 03:56 PM
    (snipped) I know some people might be thinking "OMG Penguin, like YOU'RE really one to talk!" I'm saying that I plan to do my part, and I really hope that others follow suit for the sake of CB and to promote BB10 in a logical and honest manner.
    Atta Go PP.

Only one question . . . . . with or without?

Pants.

ROFL
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-29-13 03:56 PM
    AWESOME POST!!!!!!!!

THIS is a community leader.

Mods...take notice.

Awwww *blush.* You're too kind!
    01-29-13 04:55 PM
    Atta Go PP.

Only one question . . . . . with or without?

Pants.

ROFL
    I think you know the answer to that!
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-29-13 04:56 PM
    I've started to ignore threads I think may be a trolls. I read it, want to react but don't. I just move along. If it was it will eventually be exposed.
    01-29-13 05:07 PM
    what is the code to get the sign... the [url] one doesnt work
    It should work in the body of your message but you can't use it in a signature. If I enter this at my keyboard:

[IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5210/welcomecb.gif[/IMG]

You see:
    01-29-13 05:13 PM
    Great thread pantless.

All. Hands. On. Deck.

Tomorrow is a huge day. Let's have fun with it and make sure our members and newbies find the info they're after.
    01-29-13 05:30 PM
    Awesome post Penguin, fantastic post, and great advise...
    01-29-13 05:48 PM
    Just wanna say thanks to the OP for making this post. This same idea crossed my mind last night. Though, you were probably more thorough then I would have been.

Well done.

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    01-29-13 05:55 PM
77 1234