I've said this before, and I'll say it again. After tomorrow and news of BB10 hits all tech journals, people will want to discuss it. They'll eventually find their way here. I really, really hope CB members will help the community put its best foot forward in helping new members get FACTS instead of emotional responses. Some people may not have had a BlackBerry in years and haven't heard much about BB10 and might be operating under outdated assumptions. If they're legitimately coming here for answers to their questions, there's no reason to cry "troll" prematurely. Same with people that come to say "I've been using iPhone/Android for the past couple years, and I have some questions. Will BB10 be able to do [feature] as well as iPhone/Android? Will the quality of apps be the same as iPhone/Android? Etc etc etc." Again, recognize that they're not necessarily trolling. They want to learn about BB10, and right now the platform that they've been using is what they'll be measuring BB10 against. Emotional responses such as "BB10 is going to SMASH iPhone/Android into pieces and will be the #1 platform in 6 months and anyone still using an iPhone/Android then will be sheep who want to play with their toys yada yada" won't be nearly as effective as "To do this function on BB10 you need to swipe here and select this option, whereas on iPhone/Android you need to swipe here and long press here so it's almost the same thing it's just a different process than you're used to, etc."

When I first came to CB, it was after the Great Sidekick Outage of 2009. I was looking for a new phone/platform and had narrowed my choices between the BlackBerry 9700 and Motorola Cliq. I joined and asked questions about BlackBerry and the 9700 in particular and what I could expect to be the same/different from my current Sidekick. From the answers I received it was obvious that no one had any clue what the Sidekick platform was capable of. The PERCEPTION of it was that it was a phone for teens and that's it, whereas my experience with the platform was competely different. It was greatly discouraging. Through my own research I beleived the 9700 would be better for my needs than the Cliq. That was the phone I got, the reason why I stayed on at CB, and the reason I've been interested in BlackBerry and RIM as a company ever since.

I can see the same thing happening now with users coming to learn about BB10. There are so many misconceptions about the capabilities of other platforms being thrown around on the board, and I know some people think it's cute to spread these misconceptions as fact in some misguided attempt to support RIM, but that's REALLY not what CB needs to be about right now. If we as a community want to see BB10 succeed we're going to need to be as helpful and truthful as possible to potential owners and not flood the boards with senseless drivel and arguments. I know some people might be thinking "OMG Penguin, like YOU'RE really one to talk!" I'm saying that I plan to do my part, and I really hope that others follow suit for the sake of CB and to promote BB10 in a logical and honest manner.
    01-29-13 01:49 PM
    Absolutely true. I'll be trying my best to be helpful as we see more new members come in, I want to see BB10 succeed!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-29-13 01:53 PM
    True. Good advice.
    01-29-13 01:54 PM
    It would be nice if a "Welcome New Members!" thread was stickied here, instead of it being in the CB Rehab section. If I were a newbie, I wouldn't think of looking there.
    01-29-13 01:57 PM
    Great advice, Might be time to clean up and put some pants on that penguin!
    01-29-13 02:00 PM
    completely agree.

i also hope that both current, past and future members will search for an answer before asking. thats the only thing that annoys me is double/triple threads on the same subject, but this happens from most all members so im not judging anyone
    01-29-13 02:02 PM
    I love this thread.

Don't forget, the mods are here to help too, so if you see someone being unnecessarily rude to newbies (or anyone else, of course) please report the post and the mod team will take care of it. Remember not to engage in arguments, just report and move on. Help out where you can, and show the world how awesome the CrackBerry community and BlackBerry People are!
    01-29-13 02:07 PM
    Great words PP!!!!! I echo everything she is saying. Besides just thanking AND liking the post I also wanted to acknowledge it with this post. As a community we really need to come together and welcome these folks and show them why CB is such a wonderful place!
    pantlesspenguin and Stocklone like this.
    01-29-13 02:10 PM
    Excellent post, I tottally agree. We should show newcommers how great Crackberry Nation is! They'll naturrally want to stay afterwards.
    01-29-13 02:10 PM
    Great advice, Might be time to clean up and put some pants on that penguin!
    Let's not get hasty!!
    01-29-13 02:15 PM
    Excellent post, I tottally agree. We should show newcommers how great Crackberry Nation is! They'll naturrally want to stay afterwards.
    Yes! I totally should've followed with this. That's why I stayed. I met some amazing people in the 9700 board!
    01-29-13 02:16 PM
    I think that there are going to be so many new features that RIM hasn't even let out of the bag yet, combined with this not being tied to legacy BBOS, that their really shouldn't be any "experts" here on CrackBerry with regards to BB10 anyways. I can't wait to read about all the new features that people find and post here in the coming days/weeks. Hopefully all the negativity that has plagued the forums for some time will go back to the positive things and excitement we had before!
    Last edited by lnichols; 01-29-13 at 03:03 PM.
    01-29-13 02:16 PM
    I agree. I will be trying to send people to the right forums and information as best I can.
    pantlesspenguin and raino like this.
    01-29-13 02:17 PM
    Also, it's not just newbies that will be needing help! With this whole brand new shiny operating system, I'm sure even the most well-versed OS7 user will need a pointer here and there .

ETA: lnichols beat me to it!
    01-29-13 02:20 PM
    Noob hazing??? Ok ok, we'll play nice
    01-29-13 02:21 PM
    Excellent Post. I know that I have a low count, however I have lurked in the shadows on CB for years. BB10 excitement caused me to to become active and with me, as with thousands and thousands of new posters, the community has been nothing short of amazing. I'm so happy to be active now and look forward to the new friends, new discussion and new heated topics. Here's to hoping a get at least a few minutes of sleep tonight
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    01-29-13 02:24 PM
    PP,

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying.
    Being a newbie to BB10 myself (as the rest of everyone here who has not played with a Dev Alpha unit), I'll also be looking for help on lots of things..and I'm a BB owner!
    01-29-13 02:27 PM
    Oh and on that note, please don't troll other mobile nations sites with abuse and ill manners as this will only flame us and make us ALL look bad.
    #BB10BELIEVE
    01-29-13 02:27 PM
    Oh and on that note, please don't troll other mobile nations sites with abuse and ill manners as this will only flame us and make us ALL look bad.
    #BB10BELIEVE
    Agreed!!! There have been several trolls from other sites here through the years that have quickly (in some cases, others it took awhile for their trolliness (new word?) to come out) been given the boot. Let's not stoop to their level. Show 'em that CB users have CLASS!
    The Furbz likes this.
    01-29-13 02:33 PM
    I couldn't agree with you more, Furbz.
    By doing that, it really does reflect badly upon us as a community and people will be turned off by it in a very negative way.

I truly feel that if we bash others, we are saying that our phones are better than theirs. Whether that is or isn't the case is irrelevant. What is relevant is that we show others that BB users are serious, mature and willing and eager to help (if they can) new members or new BB10 owners.
    Michelle Haag and The Furbz like this.
    01-29-13 02:35 PM
    I certainly hope Crackberry behaves better than when I first got here.
    robitaille93 likes this.
    01-29-13 02:52 PM
    01-29-13 03:00 PM
    awesome post OP.

we might be getting an influx of iMore people... especially since they dont have to register
    01-29-13 03:02 PM
    STOLEN! lol
    01-29-13 03:02 PM
    what is the code to get the sign... the [img] one doesnt work
    01-29-13 03:04 PM
77 123 ...