I think fanboys are like that regardless of the product. Ford/Chevy, Apple/Commodore, iPhone/BlackBerry, whatever. There are always people whose fandom morphs into foolhardiness.
    This is very true.
    12-29-10 05:47 PM
    That's a very strange reply.
    Not if you started on the first blackberrys, i bought a 7230 from ebay just out of curiosity and it just does email best, still just as fast as my 9700, no media whatsoever. Browser is pretty fast for just gprs only and the keyboard is to die for. Really is just an email machine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 05:50 PM
    Not if you started on the first blackberrys, i bought a 7230 from ebay just out of curiosity and it just does email best, still just as fast as my 9700, no media whatsoever. Browser is pretty fast for just gprs only and the keyboard is to die for. Really is just an email machine.

But everything you just listed doesn't make devices on other platforms toys. Yes the BB is a great tool, but other devices can be used as tools as well. This is something that many BB users do not understand. Just because it doesn't work for you as a tool doesn't mean someone else isn't using it that way.

Any device can be a toy. Any device can also be a tool. You can use all these devices efficiently as tools. Everything besides a RIM devices just happens to provide more entertainment as well. The hardware and development environment allow for this.

We all know once RIM provides these features that BB fanboys claim are "toy" features that they do not need, CB and all of its users will be jumping with joy. Once RIM comes out with it, then it will be acceptable in their mind.
    12-29-10 06:02 PM
    But everything you just listed doesn't make devices on other platforms toys. Yes the BB is a great tool, but other devices can be used as tools as well. This is something that many BB users do not understand. Just because it doesn't work for you as a tool doesn't mean someone else isn't using it that way.

Any device can be a toy. Any device can also be a tool. You can use all these devices efficiently as tools. Everything besides a RIM devices just happens to provide more entertainment as well. The hardware and development environment allow for this.

We all know once RIM provides these features that BB fanboys claim are "toy" features that they do not need, CB and all of its users will be jumping with joy. Once RIM comes out with it, then it will be acceptable in their mind.
    I think most people when they say that they mean they look like toys, and they kind a do lol no offence. When you look at a blackberry in no way it looks like a toy except maybe Storm and Torch. You look at a 7230 and you know exactly what it's for

12-29-10 06:06 PM
    Getting off-topic here, but your post reminds me of the early days of the IBM PC.

Apple, Commodore, and Tandy all released their mainstream microcomputers in 1977. Many business customers wanted to buy these, but giants like IBM kept telling customers, "Microcomputers are toys. Don't worry about those west-coast hippies. Those things are a fad. Stick with a Big Blue minicomputer. It's made from metal, not plastic."

Then, in 1981, IBM finally released its own microcomputer, the IBM 5150 PC. Suddenly they were "tools" not "toys". The PC wasn't an especially good computer, but it said IBM on it.
    12-29-10 06:14 PM
    I think most people when they say that they mean they look like toys, and they kind a do lol no offence. When you look at a blackberry in no way it looks like a toy except maybe Storm and Torch. You look at a 7230 and you know exactly what it's for

You know what they were built for because that is what they were for. Those were not consumer devices at the time. BBs at that time could have looked like toy action figures and people still would have considered them tools.

Exactly how does a slab of glass look like a toy? Are you talking about the back of the devices? Last time I checked the Storm and Torch look just like every other BB made in the past year and a half. What makes them look more like toys than the rest? At this point you are basically saying anything with a touchscreen is a toy. At least that is what it sounds like, because the only similarities between the two BBs you pointed out to the "toys" are that they are touchscreens.
    12-29-10 06:20 PM
    Getting off-topic here, but your post reminds me of the early days of the IBM PC.

Apple, Commodore, and Tandy all released their mainstream microcomputers in 1977. Many business customers wanted to buy these, but giants like IBM kept telling customers, "Microcomputers are toys. Don't worry about those west-coast hippies. Those things are a fad. Stick with a Big Blue minicomputer. It's made from metal, not plastic."

Then, in 1981, IBM finally released its own microcomputer, the IBM 5150 PC. Suddenly they were "tools" not "toys". The PC wasn't an especially good computer, but it said IBM on it.
    Exactly. It isn't acceptable when everyone else has it, but once they have it then everything is fine and dandy.
    12-29-10 06:23 PM
    Shhh. Don't tell my wife it's not a toy because I'm always playing with it. And toys are what you play with.
    12-29-10 06:41 PM
    Ok this post has gotten seriously off track. Everyone has their opinion on which device is best. Just agree to disagree guys
    12-29-10 07:06 PM
    You know what they were built for because that is what they were for. Those were not consumer devices at the time. BBs at that time could have looked like toy action figures and people still would have considered them tools.

Exactly how does a slab of glass look like a toy? Are you talking about the back of the devices? Last time I checked the Storm and Torch look just like every other BB made in the past year and a half. What makes them look more like toys than the rest? At this point you are basically saying anything with a touchscreen is a toy. At least that is what it sounds like, because the only similarities between the two BBs you pointed out to the "toys" are that they are touchscreens.
    To me all touch screens phones look like toys, especially when your messages appear in little yellow bubbles lol
    It's all about first impressions really, and appearances. When you look at a full qwerty you know it means business, touch screen kinda says "let's play"

12-29-10 07:29 PM
    Because that is all these phones do. Absolutely no serious business can be done from these other devices...

Tell me, how big are the toolboxes you both carry around?

Ignorance runs rampant on these forums.
    I'm a tool because I thoought what he said was funny huh... Thanks for enlightening me. I now know I am a tool and you are the coolest being on the forums. So happy I've met you now, my life is complete.

12-29-10 09:09 PM
    I'm a tool because I thoought what he said was funny huh... Thanks for enlightening me. I now know I am a tool and you are the coolest being on the forums. So happy I've met you now, my life is complete.

lmao do I detect a hint of sarcasm?
    12-29-10 09:21 PM
    Just a bit and I'm not trying to be grumpy so my apologies. I just thought the taping part was funny as heck.

12-29-10 09:28 PM
    Just a bit and I'm not trying to be grumpy so my apologies. I just thought the taping part was funny as heck.

It was funny!
    12-29-10 09:43 PM
    Tell me, how big are the toolboxes you both carry around?
    Do you mean the ones for small jobs or the ones in the back of the pickup? And why do you ask, need something repaired?
    12-29-10 09:47 PM
    Do you mean the ones for small jobs or the ones in the back of the pickup? And why do you ask, need something repaired?
    Not trying to sound like a tool or anything but.... Bwahahahahahahahahahhahah

12-29-10 09:50 PM
    I can't seem to switch away from BlackBerry because I like the OS and how it's organized. It's clean and makes sense to me. The iPhone isn't linear enough for my liking.

I'm not a business person. But I do use my BlackBerry like a tool. I just needed to continue the tool talk. Thanks.

12-29-10 09:59 PM
    Rofl I have a towel bar that I can't get the hubby to put back up and I see you're in Illinois like me...probably only need the small tool box
    12-29-10 10:00 PM
    BB's run through rim's NOC, which is a proxy. Those f you that like proxies, RIM gives you that option.

12-29-10 10:07 PM
    Touchscreen phones look like remote controls imo.

12-29-10 10:08 PM
    Ok, all phones can be serious, and BlackBerrys can be toys. Ever heard of football? Put your Bold 9700 down on the floor, and aim for the net when you kick it. The design will make it harder to score, making it more fun.
    12-29-10 10:35 PM
    Ok, all phones can be serious, and BlackBerrys can be toys. Ever heard of football? Put your Bold 9700 down on the floor, and aim for the net when you kick it. The design will make it harder to score, making it more fun.
    Um, I don't know about you, but I doubt any of us would want to kick our phones regardless of what platform we're using
    12-29-10 10:54 PM
    Um, I don't know about you, but I doubt any of us would want to kick our phones regardless of what platform we're using
    I am willing to kick my lg lotus I don't use anymore lol.

12-29-10 10:56 PM
    Touchscreen phones look like remote controls imo.

Agreed. I do like them though and had a 3GS that I liked very much, I just didn't love it.

I did have a cool app though that made it double as a mouse or computers touch pad if you will. Helped me greatly for a few days before I could replace mine.

12-29-10 11:47 PM
    If you just want to goof around, then go Win7, Android, or tape a Nokia phone to an iPod Touch.
    ...lmao...tape a Nokia to an iPod...kind of a slam on Nokia huh? Great line though...
    12-30-10 12:29 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD