What was the purpose of these ugly @ss blocks again?

06-09-13 08:01 AM
    Imagine a white background without those grey boxes. I'd be unreadable icons.
    06-09-13 08:10 AM
    I'm afraid you're right.

Some users get around this by spreading out the app icons to different pages, or by grouping icons together to clear some space in order to see the wallpaper.

BB10 and iOS provides the least amount of customization and personalization of all mobile platforms, and that includes legacy BBOS. I mean just take a look at the http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...thread-768501/ thread. 100+ pages of screen shots and of the screens the same with only the background wallpaper being different.
    06-09-13 08:12 AM
    They bring uniformity to the icon size and they are necessary.

Take a look at this screen shot from my playbook... look how out of place the HUGE imt vnc icon looks and how small the photo bucket icon looks.. the icon borders eliminate that and give it a nice clean look.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:12 AM
    Somebody have to say it. Every wallpaper is useless because of this sh*t.-img_00000128.png

I don't have this problem

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:22 AM
    Imagine a white background without those grey boxes. I'd be unreadable icons.
    That why something called text-shadow and box-shadow exists. Why is it so hard for BB to understand. Did they hire the right designers? I sometimes Wonder.

They bring uniformity to the icon size and they are necessary.
    If they want uniformity why not make specific icon design guid lines, or do like iOS, no mater what icon you put it adapts the icon by putting rounded corners, to actually make the interface more esthetic and pleasant to the eye. Not trying to bash or anything, I just want the OS to be more nice looking.
    06-09-13 08:23 AM
    That why something called text-shadow and box-exists. Why is it so hard for BB to understand. Did they hire the right designers? I sometimes Wonder.
    I really don't understand the problem with these icons. They make everything look uniform and clean.
    06-09-13 08:29 AM
    I really don't understand the problem with these icons. They make everything look uniform and clean.
    As I already said iOS manages to make everything clean and uniform without putting unnecessary and irrelevant things in the UI, just by having precise UI and design policy.

Look at this:
    This is everything that is right about UI design, everything is uniform clean, fresh, and no unnecessary sh*t that overloads the UI.
    I'm not iPhone fan, but if they know something, it's how to design. I want BlackBerry to be a good looking OS too.

06-09-13 08:47 AM
    You didn't notice one thing... the apple icon text is on 1 line. How would it look on 2 lines??

Also, blackberry creates phones with different aspect ratios. (eg 1:1)

Imagine 2 line text on a square icon without some kind of container..

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:06 AM
    Not if you have a dark background
    Somebody have to say it. Every wallpaper is useless because of this sh*t.-img_00001138.png

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:23 AM
    Ok, then, let's all have dark backgrounds i don't know.
    06-09-13 09:28 AM
    Ok, then, let's all have dark backgrounds i don't know.
    Ok, now you're just pouting because someone proved you wrong. If you really like BB10, you'll have to learn to take the good with the bad. No operating system is ever going to be perfect, let alone be perfect and make everyone happy at the same time.
    jordandrews90 and j21jam6 like this.
    06-09-13 09:38 AM
    I like the look personally...
    Somebody have to say it. Every wallpaper is useless because of this sh*t.-img_00000233.png

Posted via CB10
    agp101, just_luc, Mel25 and 6 others like this.
    06-09-13 09:41 AM
    Hang on, oh... yeah I just noticed. Naw it doesn't bother me much. Although now that you "mentioned" it, the shadows are a bit ugly. Some update may get rid of it one day.
    06-09-13 09:46 AM
    I think a lot of people were unhappy with the shadow boxes around the icons when the leaks were popping up ... I'm surprised no one has really brought it up again until now. I think they could definitely do a lot better with the icons (the PB icons were fine ..)
    avatsaev likes this.
    06-09-13 09:47 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000128.png 
Views:	3132 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	169980

I don't have this problem

Posted via CB10
    i was just going to say.

I totally forgot those boxes existed cuz my background is really dark and matches the box colour lol
    slade632 likes this.
    06-09-13 09:47 AM
    Ehh I think it makes them look more tangible if that makes any sense.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    06-09-13 09:48 AM
    They made changes to the original which some people didn't like but I personally did. These are good too but I guess it depends on the individual. As was mentioned, not everyone will be happy with every design choice. With the shadows, if the background is white, you wouldn't be able to read the words without the shadowing.

Somebody have to say it. Every wallpaper is useless because of this sh*t.-img_00000228.png

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:52 AM
    They made changes to the original which some people didn't like but I personally did. These are good too but I guess it depends on the individual. As was mentioned, not everyone will be happy with every design choice. With the shadows, if the background is white, you wouldn't be able to read the words without the shadowing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000228.png 
Views:	2096 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	170004

Posted via CB10
    You can read white text with good and smooth black text-shadow on every background color without this block, no exceptions
    06-09-13 09:56 AM
    This aint serious to warrant a thread how can you even try make any of this an issue most wallpapers are covered by icons on any OS you go to.And you go to champion ios which has the worst colour pallete of mobile OS its nowhere close to level of BB ui.Our UI and colour pallete looks proffessional not fisher price IOS. I dont even know why you would bring them up considering they overhauling IOS and pretty much gonna rip Windows phone,android and go by the way of proffesional look with ''more black''.

This thread needs to die
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-09-13 10:17 AM
    This aint serious to warrant a thread how can you even try make any of this an issue most wallpapers are covered by icons on any OS you go to.And you go to champion ios which has the worst colour pallete of mobile OS its nowhere close to level of BB ui.Our UI and colour pallete looks proffessional not fisher price IOS. I dont even know why you would bring them up considering they overhauling IOS and pretty much gonna rip Windows phone,android and go by the way of proffesional look with ''more black''.
    This thread needs to die
    ... clearly some of us don't like the shadow boxes ... I can live with it but I don't like it .. and there are a quite a few of us who have the same opinion.
    avatsaev likes this.
    06-09-13 10:21 AM
    For me, it's not a matter of icon shadowing or the icons themselves. I just miss having an aesthetically pleasing wallpaper that dominates the screen. It's a comfortable way to begin the experience.

But then again, I guess BB10 "mobile computing" platform exists to get us away from things that are altogether unnecessary.
    06-09-13 10:25 AM
    ... clearly some of us don't like the shadow boxes ... I can live with it but I don't like it .. and there are a quite a few of us who have the same opinion.
    Seriously, these shadow boxes must die, I literally can't stand them.
    anon(1152406) likes this.
    06-09-13 10:26 AM

This thread needs to die
    The two bolded parts are simply incorrect.

For example Android home screens can be configured to be a functional or creative as the user would like. They can be as sparse or as crowded or even made to look like other OS's through theming. User choice is good, right? Here are examples of some of the creative ones.

40 Really Cool Android Home Screens For your Inspiration

BB10 and iOS provides the least amount of customization and personalization of all mobile platforms, and that includes legacy BBOS. I mean just take a look at the http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...thread-768501/ thread. 100+ pages of screen shots and of the screens the same with only the background wallpaper being different.
    anon(1152406) and avatsaev like this.
    06-09-13 10:27 AM
    I'm with OP. The shadow underlays are ridiculous, they're large and bulky. I never paid much attention to it before, but what gives? Hell, even windows 3.11 didn't have that.
    avatsaev likes this.
    06-09-13 10:42 AM
63 123