I hope this is the dev alpha C , else i have to abandon my beloved keyboard for the N series because this thing is too ugly
    12-30-12 06:34 AM
    My post didn't quote you, I wasn't referring specifically to you. I take your point that you don't like it, and currently I'm not happy with it either. However the same thing happened with the Z10 as it slowly came to light. People seem to be underestimating RIM an awful lot!

You might consider it whining, I consider it offering personal opinions as to the design.
    I'm not talking about the back, which for my taste is incredibly ugly as is. I believe that it's in a shell, pretty much as the Z10 was. I am talking that, for me, the phone looks as it there were two spare parts, a top part from a 9900 and a bottom part from a 9981 (in my personal opinion the ugliest BB ever created) and someone, at the last minute, got some glue and pasted them together.
    This is my personal opinion given my desires for a more aesthetically pleasing device.
    At no point did I say that the design will flop, that it won't sell, that it is a failure. I simply said, as people do when shown a picture of a new device, that I find this phone just plain hideously ugly. BB should have taken a look at the concepts and gone from there, to create a device that would take a cue from those concepts.
    If THAT is the final product, BB just lost one sale as I will only buy the Z10.
    One sale is not a big deal.
    But one sale is one sale lost and revenue not gained for a struggling company.
    12-30-12 07:02 AM
    Please tell me this is not an actual device. Please tell me this is another instance of someone's personal artwork being mistakenly put up as a real picture. That is, in my opinion, one drop dead ugly device.

Oh well.....Z10. And buying extra 9900 for when my current one dies,
    I have been holding out since August for my upgrade and suffering with my 9650, but this is one really ugly phone, no style at all. I hope this is not the final device. I want a physical keyboard, but this is pretty hideous.
    12-30-12 07:03 AM
    My post didn't quote you, I wasn't referring specifically to you. I take your point that you don't like it, and currently I'm not happy with it either. However the same thing happened with the Z10 as it slowly came to light. People seem to be underestimating RIM an awful lot!
    I didn't think you were addressing me specifically, no worries.

As far as underestimating RIM, given the company's downward spiral from its top of the industry prior dominance, can you blame those of us who remain skeptical that it has its finger on the pulse of the consumer market?
    12-30-12 07:14 AM
    Haha, good No, I suppose I can't blame you. Perhaps I have too much faith in them under the new CEO, but I feel confident that I'll love the final X10. I hope I'm not wrong, but perhaps it'll finally force my decision to get the touch screen! I just think I'll miss a tactile typing experience, though. Fingers crossed the X10 comes up trumps in the coming weeks! I am positive that the back and UI will be thoroughly refined. I suppose the shape of the shell is more dubious, but it could change. Surely this is a Development device due to when they were seeded?

As far as underestimating RIM, given the company's downward spiral from its top of the industry prior dominance, can you blame those of us who remain skeptical that it has its finger on the pulse of the consumer market?
    12-30-12 07:22 AM
    This is setting up horribly for BB...if this is their best effort for a hardware keyboard phone, they are in big trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    12-30-12 07:24 AM
    My first post here although I have been reading the forums since January. Anyways just to give my 2 cents worth on the X10. I don't think a phone with a keyboard can look dramatically different from what is already out there. Notice how Nokia, HTC, Samsung versions of BB keyboard phones all tend to look identical to each other. From a design standpoint I think it would be pretty difficult to make something revolutionary. This is not fact though, just my opinion.

I am feeling the Z10 though and have been quite pro active in getting the word out there. Never owned a BB phone but I am seriously tempted to get the Z10, after owning a playbook and how well its working with OS 2.1. Can see some serious potential with BB10
    12-30-12 09:39 AM
    This is setting up horribly for BB...if this is their best effort for a hardware keyboard phone, they are in big trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Are they? Most other companies already dropped QWERTY support, so basicly RIM isn't even in a position to actually try hard in getting a new QWERTY star out. Lately I sometimes almost get the impression, RIM doesn't even really want to keep that QWERTY up and rather get their people all aboard full-touch devices. I know, I know....January 30th and everything will be fine. But I somehow doubt it.
    12-30-12 09:49 AM
    It's will be very interesting to see how RIM will market both of these phones at the same time. This interface is obviously not designed for qwerty and looks like the keyboard diehards will be lost without the trackpad. While the shell may change the screen size will be the same so I hope there's some carbon fiber or polycarbonate in the works because this screams end of life device in 8 months.
    12-30-12 10:03 AM
    It's easy to make a rendering how a device will look. Actually making one within the limitation of manufactoring and cost are another.

How much can you change a candy bar qwerty device? Do you really want something the size of the GS III with a keyboard on the bottom? Is that functional? The current Bold 9900 feels perfect in your hand so something a little longer and a tad wider will feel similar. The purpose for candy bar to me is one handed operation and if you get too wide and tall the balance in your hand will be off.

Obviously this is a Dev C device, RIM has already stated this model will follow so assume Z10 launches in Feb (hopeful) or March (possible) your looking at April or May for X10. Thats almost 3 more months of tweaking. Do you forget how the L series evolved?

Definately some concerns how BB10 OS will work on a smaller screen but since I've been using Z10 the past two weeks I think it will scale ok. The concern over losing the touchpad are overblown. BB10 OS have nice guestures built in to allow edits. I'll need to use a X10 to see how different but the core guestures will work fine on the current screen size. The X10 looks like a 3.2 or 3.4
    toneytone likes this.
    12-30-12 10:25 AM

RIM's fall from grace was not because they couldn't design good looking phones. I'm sure the final model will look different in terms of both the software and hardware.
    12-30-12 10:39 AM
    why's it so damn small? and a big derpy BB logo taking half the screen up..
    12-30-12 11:31 AM
    why's it so damn small?
    Maybe it's not small, just that the guy holding it has some freakishly large hands.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-30-12 11:32 AM
    why's it so damn small? and a big derpy BB logo taking half the screen up..
    Your question about the logo has been answered many times on these forums. The space for the logo is needed for swipe gestures. If the logo was not there it would be empty space. RIM was smart to fill it with the logo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 01:41 PM
    After seeing these pics, I think RIM really needs to release a torch version phone for BB10, to make use of the sophisticated OS and keyboard RIM must go the way of a slider. It only makes sense.
    Agree. Given the entire phone industry has really lost innovation (every phone looks the same as the next) i am surprised that not one manufacturer is going to try and stake claim to the Portrait Slider like the 9810. I feel that Apple did us all a dis-service with their success. Everyone wants to replicate that formula (candy bar, crappy screen tap typing). I get the Z10. I am going to get one. But, I sure would like to get a Portrait Slider. Cmon RIMM!
    mnc76 likes this.
    12-30-12 02:40 PM
    Okay, upon seeing the above link for the TK5 Justice, i have to say, i LOVE that design, in respect to the N-Series. Probably my favorite thing is the idea of the "Action Key" which launches your notifications(marked by the notification star)
    12-30-12 03:18 PM
    It should look unfinished just as the L series was in all the leaks. It's an evaluation unit no doubt. But it is the new qwerty its just missing its good pair of jeans.
    I hope that it isn't the N-Series (no, I'm not saying its new stupid name), looks very unfinished and we're very near of the launch date...
    12-30-12 03:33 PM
    Looks like they took a new and powerful OS and are sticking in an outdated "has been" item.

The 9900 was not a big seller. None of the OS7 (stop gap phones) sold.

They need to refresh their look. Cutting edge,

If it is different, if needs to look it.

Tim
    12-30-12 04:53 PM
    Imagine the actual N-Series released to the public being exactly like the TK Justice? How cool would that be?!??!
    12-30-12 04:58 PM
    Anybody remember the bashing the Style got when we saw the first leaked photos.

The end result was a very sexy phone, shame RIM never made a GSM version.
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-30-12 05:05 PM
    My first post here although I have been reading the forums since January. Anyways just to give my 2 cents worth on the X10. I don't think a phone with a keyboard can look dramatically different from what is already out there. Notice how Nokia, HTC, Samsung versions of BB keyboard phones all tend to look identical to each other. From a design standpoint I think it would be pretty difficult to make something revolutionary. This is not fact though, just my opinion.

I am feeling the Z10 though and have been quite pro active in getting the word out there. Never owned a BB phone but I am seriously tempted to get the Z10, after owning a playbook and how well its working with OS 2.1. Can see some serious potential with BB10
    Apparently, you have not seen the TK Victory or TK Justice design concept or else you would have said "However, the only revolutionary device, even though not made by RIM are, the TK Victory and TK Justice."
    12-30-12 05:59 PM
    So much whining, and some ridiculous comments. How can people be sure of the screen size from a non scalable picture? The screen is bigger, and it is a square if you measure it. We know it's 720x720 so that's not going to change. However I'm confident that the UI and the back will definitely be changing. Potentially some other design aspects of the phone but I think that in perspective and in better images, it'll look pretty awesome. And still it's clearly a blackberry. Everybody needs to stop harping on about the TK victory as if a concept could be so feasibly manufactured.. Let's wait for more leaks. I remember the Z10 was met with criticism initially and now it's nearly universally loved. I expect the final QWERTY will look different somewhat.
    We've known the size of the screen for a while. It's roughly 3.1 inches.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-30-12 06:05 PM
    Yes, TOTALLY different than the 9930 and easily worth $1000....oh...damn....I had my *sarcasm* filter turned on my computer....here let me try it again....ummmm....this design BLOWS....ahhh, that's better!
    12-30-12 09:03 PM
    they didn't make a different version because when something, like the "Style," doesn't SELL....it goes bye-bye
    12-30-12 09:07 PM
    While there'll still be a lot of people who like the physical keyboard, I think many will be moving away from them. The N-series will be fine for e-mails, BBM and basic communications - but the screen size is way too limiting for anything else really.
    Likely just to cater to those who just insist they cannot exist without a physical keyboard. They are out there, and I was one until I experienced haptic typing. The Torch 9850 was the first I tried that had it, and after that discovery, things changed. I now run the 4.8" screen SIII and prior to that a 4.3" Photon. Both of them had satisfactory virtual keyboards, and now physical becomes very limiting to my own point of view.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-30-12 10:26 PM
108 12345