Ok,

I have had the phone for about a week now and I dont have any serious complaints, however there have been some little things happening that a tad annoying.

I have noticed that even with wifi on and connected to a network, web browsing will not work unless I am connected to the network (for data). I am not sure why this is happening, even when data is set to off.

Secondly, I do have a data plan that covers email and IM, I noticed my data was still off from me trying to figure out the wifi issue, so I turned it on and all of a sudden I got 2 WAP icons in the menu....why are they there? and how do I get rid of them?

Thanks
    12-16-09 10:50 PM
    Data has to be set to on for WiFi (and any other data) to work.
    To make sure you are only over WiFi and not on the network, shut the network off.

For the browser, go to options and set it to HotsPot Browser, it will use the WiFi connection for surfing.

And the extra Icons, just hide them (Menu > Hide App).
    12-17-09 06:53 AM
    setting it to hotspot browser unfortunately did nothing.
    12-17-09 07:02 PM
    Battery pull time then? Remove the battery for 20 seconds then put it back in.
    Is the WiFI icon full bright white or gray?
    12-17-09 07:57 PM
    wifi icon is usually solid white, when i got to manage connections it shows the home network connected, but where the (phone) network provider has a little green checkmark, the wifi has a little white dash
    12-19-09 02:11 AM
    Dash with white logo? I'm confused now.

Let me go myself through the process and see if I can find the culprit...

1- Open browser, hit menu, options, general, set to hotspot, save, browser options, set to hotspot, save.
    2- Turn WiFi on. (gray logo comes out)
    3- Search for the network (I hate this part, I stand in front of the router and still takes several times to find it...)
    4- Provide password
    5- Save the profile so you don't have to do this awful part again (thanks RIM for this)
    5- Hope it connects (might take a few minutes and sometimes does not happen so I have to turn WiFi off and then back on)

So, after 3 attempts (my router has been acting up badly, I need a new one, been stuck on step 5 for a while...) I have it as shown in the pictures and WiFi working.

I can only think of this:

a- You are having problems to connect to the router, as I had;
    b- There is some problem I cannot see

I did forget to ask this thou, do you see the WiFi logo while you are in the browser, as in the last image? If it saying GPRS, GSM or edge (as your plan is only for email/IM) you won't be able to surf.
    12-19-09 08:06 AM
    Unfortunately I cannot even get as far as the last imaged posted. I checked all the settings you mentioned and they were set to hotspot. As for the white dash, was i meant was, when I go to manage connections there are three listed. Mobile network, wifi and bluetooth. The mobile network shows a green check mark to toe right of the providers name, but when the wifi connected to my home network, where the mobile network has the green check, the wifi has the white dash.

thanks
    12-19-09 05:47 PM
    Yes I got what you meant by the white dash. What I don't get is how can it have a dash there when you say the WiFi logo is white.
    12-19-09 06:20 PM
    I haven't had a problem to use wifi. I just turned off data. I didn't even switch to hotspots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-09 06:28 PM
    I haven't had a problem to use wifi. I just turned off data. I didn't even switch to hotspots.

Do you have any idea of how to help him?
    12-19-09 06:30 PM
    The white dash isnt where the wifi is on the main screen, its in the manage connections screen.
    12-20-09 11:01 AM
    I already said I got what you mean, pal.

A dash (at Manage Connections) means it's either trying to connect or unable to.
    A white WiFi logo (on the home screen) means it is already connected.

Thus why I insist on asking how come you can have both at the same time.

At this point, I'd tell you to update the OS, as nothing else seems to solve your problem.
    12-20-09 11:13 AM
    I had one heck of a time getting the wifi to work on my girlfriends 8530 but after many frustrating hours I finally went back to step one and started with installing the newest OS then i had to add both MAC addresses since I have access control turned on in my router. Once both MAC addresses were added then it connected with no issues. On my storm2 I only had to add one of the MAC addresses. Im not sure why the 8530 would be any different but after going over all the same steps that I did with the storm2 I can tell you that it was in fact a pain in my arse to get if connected. Ive never had any problems adding devices to my router in the past but for some reason this little bugger was tough.
    12-20-09 11:42 AM
    You might want to check this out, see if it of any help.
    12-21-09 10:02 PM
    What does the grey wifi icon mean? Ive got a grey icon and i can browse the internet with my mobile network switched off, since im abroad. However, i cannot use bbm or email or google maps. any tips?
    12-22-09 04:10 AM
    Go to manage connections --> WiFi options
    Then highlight the hotspot your trying to connect to.
    Hit the blackberry button go to WiFi Tools, then WiFi Diagnostics.

Read for any errors
    The errors should be listed under Status for each of the bold sections.
    12-22-09 05:39 AM
    Gray means it's not fully connected, white means full connection. Use the search button

12-22-09 06:22 AM
    You might want to check this out, see if it of any help.
    read through that, and I cannot even seem to be able to get to the "preferred connections option" so I have no idea what is going on. I did have wifi working the day i got the phone, and since that day, nothing. I will try a new os install, can anyone link me to a how to for that ?

thanks
    12-22-09 11:09 PM
    Go to manage connections --> WiFi options
    Then highlight the hotspot your trying to connect to.
    Hit the blackberry button go to WiFi Tools, then WiFi Diagnostics.

Read for any errors
    The errors should be listed under Status for each of the bold sections.
    under status is says "ip address no longer valid"
    12-22-09 11:17 PM
    Hi diegonei,

Wanted to ask about the Hotspot browser, each time i try to connect in a wifi area, a pop up will appear before i can continue surfing, so for the settings do i;

- tick support javascript?
    - tick allow javascript popups?

the thing is ive tried different setting changes but i still cant get pass the popup screen thus blocking me from surfing?

any idea? Thanks
    12-23-09 03:53 AM
    read through that, and I cannot even seem to be able to get to the "preferred connections option" so I have no idea what is going on. I did have wifi working the day i got the phone, and since that day, nothing. I will try a new os install, can anyone link me to a how to for that ?

thanks
    Here you go:

How to Install or Upgrade your BlackBerry Operating System (OS)
    How to Reload the Operating System on a "Nuked" BlackBerry

In your situation, I'd advise backing up your contacts and going for a device wipe before installing the new OS.
    12-23-09 07:22 AM
    Hi diegonei,

Wanted to ask about the Hotspot browser, each time i try to connect in a wifi area, a pop up will appear before i can continue surfing, so for the settings do i;

- tick support javascript?

I keep it unticked so pages load faster.

- tick allow javascript popups?

I tick it, sadly, because sometimes pages need it. If that happens, just hit j and the page will reload with javascript enabled.

the thing is ive tried different setting changes but i still cant get pass the popup screen thus blocking me from surfing?

any idea? Thanks
    What is this prompt you get?
    12-23-09 07:28 AM
    Hi Diegonei,

Thanks for your prompt reply. So u do not tick SUPPORT JAVASCRIPT on your HotSpot browser, rite? but when i do that the next check box does not appear! the ALLOW JAVASCRIPT POPUPS checkbox only appears if you tick SUPPORT JAVASCRIPT. *scratches head..*

its actually like a homepage for the wifi service, once i connect to it, no matter what url i type, it'll show me the homepage first with a popup screen. Now thats the problem cos i can only see the popup on my screen but not the actual homepage which allows me to continue surfing the web.

Ive managed to get pass it a few time when i tick support javascript but untick support javascript popups, but sometimes whatever i do doesnt work.. damn!

maybe you have an idea on how to manouvre through sites that have popups at their homepages?

Thanks a bunch!
    12-24-09 01:24 AM
    I don't think I do. o.o
    I even tend to avoid such stuff so I don't have to worry about finding a solution.

Oh wait. You can try BOLT Browser. It has far better support to windows and popups.
    12-24-09 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD