I'm about to get my first smartphone, and was looking for some advice.

Some background:

1) I'm on Sprint, and the lovely people there decided to give me my annual upgrade 7 months early (I got my last phone in May, I've been able to upgrade since November).

2) I have *never* had a smartphone before, but I'm ready to make the plunge. I live on my phone and have adapted to using my phone as my netbook (almost literally - I do all the email / web browsing / media / GPS on it), but want it to do more.

3) I don't want Win Mobile, and I'm not really blown away by the Palm devices.

I know the 8530 is coming soon but without a release date I don't know if I should just wait it out or if I should go for something different. With as many not-so-pleasant things I've heard about the Tour I'm really scared of getting a device that fizzles out on me in 3-4 months. So that leaves the Pearl, Curve, and 8830 World Edition.

What I'm looking for, really, is some advice based on experience with the different models. I've played with them at the store but that really doesn't help me much. Should I wait for WiFi and the trackpad, or will I get something else for my first device and upgrade next year?
    12-07-09 04:45 PM
    The 8530 should be releasing very soon. If you plan on using the device similar to the way you would as a netbook, you would find the 8830 sorely lacking in the memory and processing department, as would the Pearl. They also will not be able to transition to OS 5.0. The 8330 is a fine device, but the new Curve will have it beat in the capacity arena. The only thing the new Curve won't have that the current one does is a camera flash.

So yes, it would be worth waiting a little bit it get one, if that is your need for a device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-07-09 at 05:52 PM.
    12-07-09 05:50 PM
    get the Tour, or if they release it, the Tour2
    12-07-09 05:59 PM
    Thanks both of you.

I'm really kind of scared of the Tour. Like I said in my OP, I don't want a device that will start skitzing out on me after a couple months (with the known trackball issue, screen issues, etc). And I don't want to wait until the Tour 2 comes out because there is no indication as to when that may hit.

I think I'll just wait it out until the 8530 hits Sprint. I've been watching the forum on that one and it seems like there are fewer known / reported issues on that one. This will be my first smartphone, so it really doesn't have to be top-of-the-line (I've been using a Samsung Rant. *ANY* BB is a huge upgrade) - but it has to work and be really reliable. I'm lost without my phone.
    12-07-09 06:30 PM
    Go with the 8530
    12-07-09 06:38 PM
    Don't be afraid of the Tour. Most of the people who have experienced problems got the device within the first few weeks of its release.

The 8530 is a lesser device.
    12-07-09 06:41 PM
    Most people have no issues with their tour. The reason it seems as if they do here on crackberry is because most of the posters are only doing so because they have a problem. If everyone who had no problems were to post there would be millions of boring threads about "my tour is great".

12-07-09 08:13 PM
    Oh, you're not kidding when you speak of the Rant, which was by far one of the worst test tries I'd ever run across. That was one of the most frustrating devices in web browsing which was next to impossible.

The 8530 will be a much brighter experience, you will like BB ever so much better. And, the Rant was well named, BTW.

The Tour now is quite solid, in most respects. The early builds were a PITA, but many of the early issues have been handled, and OS changes have stabilized in the most part.

I didn't go Tour because I wear out trackballs. And I look forward to the increased capabilities of Tour2/Essex.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-07-09 at 08:43 PM.
    12-07-09 08:38 PM
    the 8530 is already releaseed wha ar eyou guys talking about? llol. go with the 8530
    12-07-09 09:27 PM
    If I was on Sprint, I would get the HTC Hero. The Tour is decent, but I'm on my 3rd replacement and it still has it's annoyances, but I'm done swapping phones - I'll be purchasing a new phone off of eBay after the new year most likely.
    12-07-09 09:40 PM
    I'm on Sprint and the Curve 8330 is my first smartphone. I love it. Though if you rely heavily on browsing, you might want one of the beefier phones, like the 8530 or the Tour. Browsing for me is mostly idle surfing, not much important - and I can't use WiFi to do so.
    12-07-09 09:54 PM
    8530 hasn't hit Sprint yet, otherwise I probably would have gotten it already.

I appreciate everyone's imput! I think I'll get 8530 when it arrives, then next year if I feel like I need an upgrade I'll go Tour 2. I think I'll prefer a trackpad vs trackball (based on playing with phones in the stores), so even if the 8530 is a lesser device I'd rather have some training wheels with the newer type of device (since BB won't release any new phones with trackballs - or so I've read).

I've considered the HTC Hero but I really, really don't like touch screen phones. And I don't want the Samsung Moment because of how much I dislike the Samsung Rant. I dislike slide-out keyboards so much I've become an expert on T9 on a 10-key. Its pretty sad.
    12-08-09 09:35 AM
    8530 misses on the camera quality,GPS and the 3G. If you can manage without these it's not a bad choice.
    12-08-09 09:49 AM
    On Sprint I thought the 8530 is supposed to be 3G and have GPS...? I don't really care about the camera. If it doesn't have GPS its a deal breaker - I have to have that.

Now I'm confused again.
    12-08-09 09:52 AM
    The 8530 has GPS and 3G. The others in the 85xx series do not.

It's still a lesser device in terms of processor and screen resolution than the Tour 9630.
    12-08-09 10:53 AM
    8530 is being released December 18, so it would be a great self Christmas present. Get something entry level, get used to the features, the phone functions, etc, and then if you feel the need for something better, get the Tour 2, which will come out sometime next year.
    12-08-09 10:57 AM
    The 8530 has GPS and 3G. The others in the 85xx series do not.

It's still a lesser device in terms of processor and screen resolution than the Tour 9630.
    my mistake.8530 indeed has both GPS and 3G. apologies for posting the wrong info.
    12-08-09 11:36 AM
    The 9630 and the new 9700 are top of the line BBs right now for non touch. Both have amazing screen and high memory. The 9700 is basically the same as the Tour 2 that's not released yet. So get that if you don't want to wait for the Tour 2. It has 3G,wi-fi and a trackpad. Don't be scared of the 9630 issues since those are iron out in later models. There was a poll here and the Tour got the most vote for the best BBs...if that matters to you. Either way you will love any of the BBs that you mention. Good luck.

12-08-09 12:13 PM
    Don't be afraid of the Tour. Most of the people who have experienced problems got the device within the first few weeks of its release.

The 8530 is a lesser device.
    Agreed! And many of us who got the device in the first days don't have a single issue.

I must say, with almost every release of a new phone (regardless of manufacturer and/or carrier) there is a lot of hype about it being the best of the best and all the issues are fixed then there is a huge let down by those who end up with poorly operating devices.

to the OP: So, take it with a grain of salt, there will be a problem with every device and most people post who have problems because they need/want help in getting them fixed and/or need/want to not be the "only one". Those without problems are less likey to post therefore there seems to be a lot of "issues" upon new releases (of most any device).

That said, it doesn't hurt to wait for that new curve.... but its not necessarily without issues. Get the device that has all the bells and whistles you need and can afford. If you can wait, and the curve is what you want, wait. If you can't then get the Tour. If you don't really think you'll need the memory/space etc, heck get the Curve 2for package for the 8330 and sell the second one...
    12-08-09 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD