I'm not sure if you understand how these systems work, but essentially, Car Play and Android Auto will simply turn the entertainment portion of the QNX system into a kind of "dumb terminal" for the smartphone. The smartphone's apps will be displayed on the car's screen - but run on the phone - and the car's mic and touchscreen input is fed back into the phone. The QNX apps get none of that information, and the QNX apps for navigation and entertainment aren't running.

And, as has been said a number of times already, QNX isn't required at all - the car companies can use other middleware, such as LinuxRT or even Microsoft's Sync. Obviously some middleware is required, and QNX is the most popular, but car manufacturers could switch middleware and it wouldn't affect Car Play or Android Auto's ability to work.
    We're on a blackberry based site in a QNX thread. While most of us know there's other options other than QNX, so while one says Carplay needs QNX is more of a meaning it simply does not run itself like some have said here. So if a member says Carplay doesn't need QNX then it's saying it doesn't need Lrt or sync for that matter. Nothing is further from the truth.

Also you have to understand that car play and Google auto is new. I can promise you more features later on. Even auto diagnostics to data logging. It's already being tested. There are options as to how the auto side of the vehicle will work with the phone for things like navigation. While I argue, let the car do the processing and use the phone for data alone. Including traffic patterns.

Maybe I have no idea how any of this works at all. Maybe I haven't spent years working on Windows CE, Sync, Lrt, and QNX. Maybe spending countless hours in seminars with blackberry in NY, with Pioneer while they dropped Windows for their NEX models. Must of have a dream.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 11:14 AM
    Also you have to understand that car play and Google auto is new. I can promise you more features later on. Even auto diagnostics to data logging. It's already being tested. There are options as to how the auto side of the vehicle will work with the phone for things like navigation. While I argue, let the car do the processing and use the phone for data alone. Including traffic patterns.
    As the WSJ highlights, auto-makers and the systems they are developing are giving-in to the consumer preference to plug in Android Auto/Car Play which obviates the need for a lot of the in-dash content. About the only argument that I can see for continuing to develop their system is: 1) Some people don't have iOS or Android and 2) Auto-makers still control the vehicle functions like sensor/climate control.

This content is going to have to compete, now, with what the smartphone is doing on the dash such as nav/traffic, messaging, music/audiobooks/podcasts, scheduling info, Uber/Lyft drivers, social media, ordering your Starbucks or Chipotle, language recognition, notifications, home automation etc.

What the customers may prefer QNX to do is to present its content as an app running on the Android Auto/Car Play screen that responds to voice commands like "Hey Siri, raise the heater to 75 degrees and turn on the rear defroster" or "Gimme the tire pressures" or "Do we have enough gas to get to the airport?" That would be some value added that would probably work on current systems. I'm pretty sure my current vehicle and smartphone could do this now if QNX would just cough up the sensor data.
    12-10-15 01:22 PM
    As the WSJ highlights, auto-makers and the systems they are developing are giving-in to the consumer preference to plug in Android Auto/Car Play which obviates the need for a lot of the in-dash content. About the only argument that I can see for continuing to develop their system is: 1) Some people don't have iOS or Android and 2) Auto-makers still control the vehicle functions like sensor/climate control.

This content is going to have to compete, now, with what the smartphone is doing on the dash such as nav/traffic, messaging, music/audiobooks/podcasts, scheduling info, Uber/Lyft drivers, social media, ordering your Starbucks or Chipotle, language recognition, notifications, home automation etc.

What the customers may prefer QNX to do is to present its content as an app running on the Android Auto/Car Play screen that responds to voice commands like "Hey Siri, raise the heater to 75 degrees and turn on the rear defroster" or "Gimme the tire pressures" or "Do we have enough gas to get to the airport?" That would be some value added that would probably work on current systems. I'm pretty sure my current vehicle and smartphone could do this now if QNX would just cough up the sensor data.
    It's not what customers may prefer, you will always need a system such as QNX in the car...period. There's nothing left to say. And QNX doesn't block any sensor data what's so ever. It's up to manufactures on both sides to work on protocols that all systems can communicate with. Info systems control digital FM, heated and power seats, radar, everything. One mobile device isn't going to replace any automotive system in the market. They will work together to give the user a fluid like experience while in the vehicle.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 02:32 PM
    Should shore up the sales of driver less cars so we can sit in the passenger seat, use this stuff and not kill ourselves or anyone else
    12-10-15 05:26 PM
    WSJ on CarPlay bringing in buyers:

Is Apple’s CarPlay Aiding GM Sales?
    Dealers say GM support attracts buyers looking for lower cost navigation system
    General Motors dealers say the company’s early support for building Apple’s CarPlay interface into dashboard displays such as its Sierra pickup truck is helping draw customers to showrooms. ENLARGE
    General Motors dealers say the company’s early support for building Apple’s CarPlay interface into dashboard displays such as its Sierra pickup truck is helping draw customers to showrooms. PHOTO: VANDERKAAYANDERKAAY/GMC
    By MIKE RAMSEY
    Dec. 11, 2015 3:03 p.m. ET
    1 COMMENTS
    General Motors Co.’s efforts to distribute Apple Inc.’s in-car software faster than its competitors may be paying off for the Detroit auto maker, some dealers say.

CarPlay, Apple’s software that displays an iPhone’s screen on a car dashboard and gives access to applications, including Apple’s mapping application, became available on 27 GM models this fall, far more than any other auto company.

Some auto makers, including Honda Motor Co. and Volkswagen AG, offer the software on a few models, and virtually every car company plans to introduce it and competing software for Alphabet Inc.’s Android operating system in coming years.

“We’ve had people coming in because they’ve heard about it, and once they see it, they really do like it because it mirrors the look and feel of the devices they use,” said Chris Hemmersmeier, chief executive of a chain of Jerry Seiner Dealerships in Salt Lake City, Utah. “It’s helping to close the deal once they see it.”

GM officials say they have anecdotal evidence of an impact, and agree the offering has been well-received. Phil Abram, executive director of connectivity an infotainment at GM, said customers have been asking for the feature for years and the company plans to expand it to as many more models as soon as possible.

Other car makers have been more deliberate about the roll out of the software. GM’s chief rival, Toyota Motor Corp., hasn’t committed to installing CarPlay or Android Auto in its vehicles, soldiering on with its own mobile-app software.

‘That has already helped us close deals.’
    —Gavin McGrath, Chevrolet dealer
    GM’s U.S. sales surged in October and November, buoyed by a strong market and demand for sport-utility vehicles. But it is hard to pinpoint a direct effect caused by CarPlay.

Gavin McGrath, the general manager of Pat McGrath Chevyland in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, has been advertising CarPlay availability and it has drawn in customers.

“It certainly has helped us,” he said. “The biggest thing that it has brought to the retail front is…navigation is going to cost $900 [to] $1,000 [as an option]. Here you have Apple CarPlay, and boom your nav is there. That has already helped us close deals.” CarPlay is a free option loaded into cars with a screen large enough to display the applications.

Mr. McGrath and Mr. Hemmersmeier said the software will affect purchases of vehicles that have built-in navigation systems. Mr. McGrath said he is already considering a change in ordering vehicles with the systems from the manufacturer.
    I'm surprised that you can get GM cars that come with a screen that will display the iOS Maps navigation app without purchasing the nav. Some savvy buyers might even decide to skip the nav and use the savings to buy a new smartphone. Thanks QNX! You make everything possible and get none of the credit.
    Last edited by early2bed; 12-11-15 at 06:04 PM.
    12-11-15 05:47 PM
    12-12-15 12:31 PM
    Already have Sync3 in my new 2016 Expedition!! There are a few things that I would change, but I'm really enjoying it.
    The voice recognition is amazing, once you learn how to talk to it. It will pick up apps from my Z30, but the volume isn't as good as using the radio. Playing music from my SD card is fine.
    I plugged my iPad into a USB outlet and listened to an entire audio book - gone are the days of switching CDs, and the sound was awesome. I could never hear the iPad by itself over road noise.

Navigation is more accurate than my Garmin, taking me directly to the correct house, not 3 houses away. There are also several ways to view the maps.

One thing I don't like, is the MPH icon is much too small and hard to see.

Another problem is with voice control:
    When you ask for a POI, or a favorite destination, it presents you with a numbered list. In order to pick one, you have to scroll through the list and give her a number. How can you keep your eyes on the road while you are scrolling through a list of 20 to 30 favorites? I have named all the favorites, but saying the name doesn't work. I can't say "Jane's house", I have to say number 17!!!
    In addition, they are not in any reasonable order. The favorites just get added to the bottom of the list. (on my Garmin they are arranged by distance away from my location).

It is possible there is a setting I am missing, or maybe there will be an update in the future. I wonder if Ford has a suggestion box? :-).

I wish BlackBerry, or at least QNX, would get some publicity about this.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    12-12-15 03:40 PM
    12-15-15 03:28 PM
58 123