Okay, so here goes... I have my 8820 up and running (got it used), getting email (BES), ringtones and profiles all set, I re-open the box because someone gave me a microSD and I wanted to store the case and SD adapter in with my other stuff. I come across the CD of software.

Questions: Will installation of the CD on my desktop f up my BB and all the hard work I've done all weekend when I connect my BB to my laptop?

Is there other software that allows me to share back and forth (media and files) with my laptop other than the CD that comes with the BB? (I notice that when I jack in I can't copy files back and forth while it charges)

How long will it take before I too don't feel like a newb? LOL

IMHO, this is the best site with the best folks, thanks in advance for anyone/everyone's opinions.

Matt
    06-30-08 04:27 PM
    The desktop software won't mess up your settings and will allow you to do a full back up. You can also download the laetst version from the RIM site. If you are synching with Outlook, the Desktop Manager is a must. Gary
    06-30-08 05:05 PM
    Okay, so here goes... I have my 8820 up and running (got it used), getting email (BES), ringtones and profiles all set, I re-open the box because someone gave me a microSD and I wanted to store the case and SD adapter in with my other stuff. I come across the CD of software.

Questions: Will installation of the CD on my desktop f up my BB and all the hard work I've done all weekend when I connect my BB to my laptop?

Is there other software that allows me to share back and forth (media and files) with my laptop other than the CD that comes with the BB? (I notice that when I jack in I can't copy files back and forth while it charges)

How long will it take before I too don't feel like a newb? LOL

IMHO, this is the best site with the best folks, thanks in advance for anyone/everyone's opinions.

Matt
    The CD should have the most recent version of DM unless, of course another has come out very recent. It won't mess up your BB. It will just provide all the tools you need to backup, restore, sync your device and transfer media.
    06-30-08 05:08 PM
    Yep as the others have said, its imperative you have your DM working...for back ups and such...when you install the cd there's an option for checking for updates..which will let you update to the newest version...welcome to CB....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 05:34 PM
    The only problem you might have is if you're running XP. XP doesn't include the bb usb drivers, so when you plugged in your bb, XP used generic drivers. If you just install DM, and don't install the bb drivers, DM may not recognize your bb. You can get the driver, called "blackberry usb and modem driver" from the same website where you download the latest DM.

Another point: it isn't necessary to download the media manager software for DM. DM will install faster without it. You can use Mass Storage Mode to move your files to the Media Card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD