People get duped by phone calls from someone telling them they are the IRS and owe money. Give us your credit card number or you will go to jail.
    What should we do, take phones away from people?
    Sure, some (not all) Android users might get fooled into downloading an app, answering a malicious email, or going to a fake website. We can't all hide behind walls in fright.
    My niece is getting hounded on PAPER mail by a supposed credit collection agency (despite having a spotless credit record). Not only did they spell her name wrong, they treated her address as an apartment (upper) even though she owns the house, lol.
    08-08-16 05:57 PM
    My niece is getting hounded on PAPER mail by a supposed credit collection agency (despite having a spotless credit record). Not only did they spell her name wrong, they treated her address as an apartment (upper) even though she owns the house, lol.
    She should stop receiving the mail. Or get a Blackberry. Or both. LOL.
    anon(9353145) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-08-16 05:59 PM
    And Apple copies the hell out of Samsung and other OEMs to, and they all share components and so on and so forth. Sort of how the whole industry is. Thanks Captain Obvious!
    Sued for errrrr....copying?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-invoice.html

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    08-08-16 05:59 PM
    She should stop receiving the mail. Or get a Blackberry. Or both. LOL.
    I looked up the anti-fraud division of the RCMP for her to report it. They actually were calling her and threatening to call her work, etc. It was obviously a scam given that she had no debt (and even did an Equifax credit check to make sure). But she's young and it freaked her out a bit. Imagine that scenario multiplied. It's disgusting, imho.

And that's just using the phone and paper mail. Point being, that is an analog equivalent of malware in the real world. And given the number of vulnerable seniors, probably more effective, imho.
    MBrettH likes this.
    08-08-16 06:05 PM
    You're perpetuating a thread jack. Do you mind sticking to the subject at hand? You're certainly welcomed to start a thread about the subject you're debating.
    08-08-16 06:06 PM
    I looked up the anti-fraud division of the RCMP for her to report it. They actually were calling her and threatening to call her work, etc. It was obviously a scam given that she had no debt (and even did an Equifax credit check to make sure). But she's young and it freaked her out a bit. Imagine that scenario multiplied. It's disgusting, imho.

And that's just using the phone and paper mail. Point being, that is an analog equivalent of malware in the real world. And given the number of vulnerable seniors, probably more effective, imho.
    Absolutely. The IRS scam actually worked against one of the young girls at work. Same thing, young and got scared. That's what they're fishing for. No high tech involved.
    Sad but true. These things are not new.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    08-08-16 06:08 PM
    Sued for errrrr....copying?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-invoice.html

They're all suing each other, kid. Only the lawyers win

No idea why you are trying to embarrass yourself like this.
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-08-16 06:08 PM
    OK, geez. I guess I'm not the Jason borne type guys that everyone else here is.

My scenario was not with someone who has high security on there mind 24/7 just the average consumer.

Does no one else think it would be an easy and good thing to password out ?

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^THIS is why organizations that let employees use personal phones to access enterprise resources, including email, without a robust MDM solution are almost guaranteed to expose those resources to malicious attacks sooner or later.

As a consumer, you have every right to share your phone with whomever you choose. As an employee, you have no right whatsoever to put enterprise resources at risk.

You don't have to live a Jason Bourne life to inadvertently harm your employer. Here are some of the most common scenarios:

1) An internal sales report, pricing information, or marketing plan in an email is made available to a competitor or the press.

2) Confidential HR information is released, such as a hiring, disciplinary or performance document.

3) Intellectual property or other protected information, such as product design, computer code, algorithms, patentable inventions, legal advice, etc. Is exposed.

4) Enterprise resource names and addresses are exposed, including email and other server IPs, folder names and locations, etc.

5) Consumers' data often provides leads to passwords that may be used both in their personal lives and at work, enabling the kinds of social engineering that are behind most high level enterprise hacks.

Most people have no idea just how pervasive corporate and foreign government sponsored espionage is, and how much of it is targeted at "average" employees who do not routinely have access to the most important data, but whose data can be used to map out IT infrastructure to probe for weaknesses.

There are tens (or more likely) hundreds of thousands of professional hackers employed to do this work in China, Russia and many other countries.

This is not a criticism of your response or your willingness to share your phone, which is pretty typical. But it shows why enterprise security and MDM is so much more important than most consumers know, and why Blackberry''s corporate strategy makes so much sense.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 06:11 PM
    Absolutely. The IRS scam actually worked against one of the young girls at work. Same thing, young and got scared. That's what they're fishing for. No high tech involved.
    Sad but true. These things are not new.
    Sorry to hear that. There should be more awareness spread about these scams just like MADD, etc. I bet it's more widespread. Cheers brother!
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-08-16 06:12 PM
    They're all suing each other, kid. Only the lawyers win
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...f334c47bfc.jpg

No idea why you are trying to embarrass yourself like this.
    I see...so you're point is that since everyone is suing each other, therefore Samsung didn't copy Apple or BlackBerry. Got it. Let us know when Samsung's copy of hub shows up on your phone.

Last edited by kputock; 08-08-16 at 08:49 PM.
    08-08-16 06:20 PM
    Well I don't know about you, but I would not give carte blanche unfettered access to my unlocked phone to anyone.

And certainly not anyone who would go into my settings, go to the security setup, turn off a security feature that has a warning, then install a malicious app on purpose.
    Exactly. At least with Android (depending on device) you can create a separate profile with Guest access to prevent administrative stuff from happening.
    Mecca EL and MBrettH like this.
    08-08-16 06:28 PM
    I see...so you're point is that since everyone is suing each other, therefore Samsung didn't copy Apple or BlackBerry. Got it. Let us know when Samsung's copy of hub shows up on your phone, pops.

My point is everyone claims the other copied them, some lawsuits were dropped etc...:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ts-outside-usa

Would be great if Samsung did their own Hub and integrated it with the Smart TVs and VR

I've enjoyed you clutching at straws so unsuccessfully, you even had to change subjects when you ran out of rubbish to spew on updates.

Rather just stick to talking about BB, dude.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    08-08-16 06:35 PM
    My point is everyone claims the other copied them, some lawsuits were dropped etc...:

Would be great if Samsung did their own Hub and integrated it with the Smart TVs and VR

I've enjoyed you clutching at straws so unsuccessfully, you even had to change subjects when you ran out of rubbish to spew on updates.

You know...their are people you cannot reach no matter how hard to knock it down.........
    Tsepz_GP and IndianTiwari like this.
    08-08-16 06:46 PM
    You know...their are people you cannot reach no matter how hard to knock it down.........
    Indeed. I tried to simplify it as much as possible for him. Maybe he needs it written in Crayon?

Cheers!
    08-08-16 06:54 PM

Sorry, you lost me! Way out of my league. Keep trollin'!

08-08-16 06:54 PM
    Sorry gramps, you lost me! Keep trollin'!

Yep, Crayon.

It would seem you were lost long before we'd begun.

Next time, just stick to what you know.
    08-08-16 06:56 PM
    Indeed. I tried to simplify it as much as possible for him. Maybe he needs it written in Crayon?

Cheers!
    Do think a Crayon...........picture book?
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-08-16 06:56 PM
    Do think a Crayon...........picture book?
    LOL!
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    08-08-16 07:03 PM
    I think you're on to something! Everyone claims the other copied them. AND at the same time everyone copies everyone, lol.

There's nothing new under the sun, and it's funny that people fight about which company thought of something first, lol.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-08-16 07:03 PM
    I think you're on to something! Everyone claims the other copied them. AND at the same time everyone copies everyone, lol.

There's nothing new under the sun, and it's funny that people fight about which company thought of something first, lol.
    Absolutely! Its such an old and endless argument, the only people who win are the law firms involved.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    08-08-16 07:07 PM
    Absolutely! Its such an old and endless argument, the only people who win are the law firms involved.
    you mean tech companies steal............Shocking....
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-08-16 07:10 PM
    Yep, Crayon.

It would seem you were lost long before we'd begun.

Next time, just stick to what you know.
    Thanks for the advice LOL. Nothing like getting insulted by a self-declared expert, and a guy who can't write in complete sentences and barks like a dog.

08-08-16 07:10 PM
    Yes you can. The usual suspects diverted the discussion to apps and android.
    This has nothing to do with that. It is a bug in the Qualcomm chip that affects all phones which use it, irrespective of OS.
    My point is, the same as Chen's when he joined BlackBerry, that you cannot provide software security without controlling the hardware chain from design, through manufacturing through hardware verification and then software.

You have to be vertically integrated...or else you suffer from the weakest link problem, as proven here.
    Is the issue with the chip or the drivers Qualcomm shipped?

Either way it wouldn't matter. The remediation is a known quantity (updated drivers and related code).

Even if BlackBerry was making their own phones this could still be an issue for them. They never designed their own chips. They sourced chips and drivers from Qualcomm.

For all we know, this bug could exist in BB10 but hasn't been remediated since security researches haven't discovered/disclosed (no money in BB10 bug bounties).
    Mecca EL, andy957, MBrettH and 1 others like this.
    08-08-16 07:12 PM
    Lawyers always win every argument, and take all the money, lol.
    08-08-16 07:13 PM
    Thanks for the advice LOL. Nothing like getting insulted by a self-declared expert, and a guy who can't write in complete sentences and barks like a dog.

Nice very nice..........................
    Mecca EL and IndianTiwari like this.
    08-08-16 07:13 PM
225 ... 34567 ...