[QUOTE=kputock;12539040]
    LOL, Considering S7 Edge numbers alone vs. Priv, being outdone by BB isn't something they were ever worried about.

And are you seriously calling it innovation??? Oh dear...

Yes regular monthly updates are an innovation, particularly for Samsung who used to update theirs once a year (if you're lucky). LOL back @ you bro!

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    I've owned Samsungs since 2011 with the S2, they actually updated regularly, if you own an Unlocked Samsung or a Voda Samsung. Upgrading once a year is pure and utter rubbish considering that with each OS update came 3-4 FW revisions within the next 3months, that has been the procedure for a very long time.

With the monthly patches, we also get those FW revisions, so sometimes there are 2-3 updates in the month, or one big update.

Rather stick to talk about BB and quit diluting the word 'innovation' to try make an invalid point.
    08-08-16 03:18 PM
    "If" being the key of course. And only in an official capacity, for sake of (cough) "security and privacy" at exactly the same time Priv was being prepared for release and/or being released? Yep. Dang innovative:

http://security.samsungmobile.com/

Samsung Commitment to regular updates (Aug 2015):
    https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...ulnerabilities

Priv officially announced: September 2015

Samsung Security blog launched:
    October 12, 2015

Pre-orders for Priv commence: Oct 23 , 2015

Priv released: Nov 6, 2015

Last edited by kputock; 08-08-16 at 04:01 PM.
    08-08-16 03:35 PM
    Are you implying that Qualcomm is in cahoots with someone with nefarious intent? That's a bit much, no?
    NSA.
    MBrettH likes this.
    08-08-16 03:37 PM
    This, this, this.
    This (the user) has absolutely nothing to do with the bug in the Qualcomm chip. It doesn't matter how smart the user, he/she could not defend against this bug until it was fixed.
    08-08-16 03:40 PM
    The user actually has to install a malicious app to become vulnerable. Safe computing 101.

Keep "allow installs from unknown sources" off, and you're good to go.
    There are often apps in the Google Play Store that contain malware. Yes, Google scans the store, but they can only detect *known* malware. New attacks are created almost daily.

Just two months ago, Google removed 190 malware-infected applications from the Play Store. Its pretty regular news, actually.

190 Android Apps Infected with Malware Discovered on the Google Play Store
    08-08-16 03:40 PM
    Apple designs its own SoC, based on ARM architecture, but uses Samsung and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp. to fabricate them. The "controversy" was about one variant being more power-efficient than the other.
    That's known as second sourcing your chip. This is common, in case one fab runs into trouble (earthquake for example), you have a second fab you can rely on.
    Sometimes big companies used to duplicate their fabs at different locations in the world for that reason. Now it's becoming too expensive to do so...
    08-08-16 03:43 PM
    NSA.
    Careful. Their spaceship is coming to pick you up.
    anon(9742832) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-08-16 04:05 PM
    Hmmmmmm Space ..............time for the tin hat...
    08-08-16 04:20 PM
    If you want a 100% secure phone, take it out back and smash it with a hammer. Or have your hands amputated. Any connected device is only as secure as its user.
    This. Why do people want to rely on a company to keep them safe? Help them keep safe, sure, but the user is the ultimate wall against attacks. Have we stopped using our brains?
    anon(9742832) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-08-16 04:26 PM
    This (the user) has absolutely nothing to do with the bug in the Qualcomm chip. It doesn't matter how smart the user, he/she could not defend against this bug until it was fixed.
    How is this "bug" supposed to "infect" the device, without any external input? There are no OTA viruses or malware. The user IS the vulnerability.
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-08-16 04:32 PM
    This. Why do people want to rely on a company to keep them safe? Help them keep safe, sure, but the user is the ultimate wall against attacks. Have we stopped using our brains?
    The sky is falling, man. Some of us need our hand held.
    08-08-16 04:34 PM
    No one here probably needs their hand held but does that go for the billion + android users. Is there no chance they might be tricked / duped into downloading a malicious app?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 04:45 PM
    Amen, I for one do not loan my phone to no one and/or let anyone use my device except for an emergency call of which most of the time if they provide me a number I will make the call for them.

That way I have total control of my device. I use my device as a business tool and even though it may sound selfish, in this day and age, you have to be very careful and that's not being paranoid, that's just reality in 2016.

As far as security is concerned I feel it begins with using that space between your ears and common sense. Just my two cents.
    08-08-16 04:47 PM
    "If" being the key of course. And only in an official capacity, for sake of (cough) "security and privacy" at exactly the same time Priv was being prepared for release and/or being released? Yep. Dang innovative:

http://security.samsungmobile.com/

Samsung Commitment to regular updates (Aug 2015):
    https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...ulnerabilities

Priv officially announced: September 2015

Samsung Security blog launched:
    October 12, 2015

Pre-orders for Priv commence: Oct 23 , 2015

Priv released: Nov 6, 2015

LMAO! I know you really badly want the Priv to be the reason Samsung did it, but is not, sorry bud.
    Ever heard of IFA? It happens early September each year, its like MWC of the 2nd half of the year, many phone maker unveil their phones and other products and services between Aug and September.

Again, at that time, the Stagefright exploit had to be combated and not allow anything further like it to happen again:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...evices-631484/

Would you like me to point something out that your Priv has you blind to?

iPhone 6S and 6S Plus arrived around that time:
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2015/...-6s-Plus/#mn_p

The Note5 also came around this time.

Apple were always known to be quick with Security updates, and last year there were a few exploits that Apple patched up quickly, and Samsung were being criticised for not being as quick.

Your precious Priv came so late, with so many issues, trying to go up against a Note5 and 6S Plus, we all knew it never stood a chance, the Priv was a year late really as even the older Note 4 was a better package.

Sorry mate, the Priv had no factor in this.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-08-16 04:48 PM
    Because only the US version uses Qalcomm.
    You may not know - but why does the US model differ from say, European models? (I can understand Verizon phones with the cdma might use a different chip).
    08-08-16 05:26 PM
    No one here probably needs their hand held but does that go for the billion + android users. Is there no chance they might be tricked / duped into downloading a malicious app?

Posted via CB10
    Even when I used BBOS and BB10, I never installed an app from an unknown developer - aka an unknown source. I would NEVER install a Nemory app. I would never use SIC wipe. I would never install an app from Betazone, unless it's from a Dev I personally know - and I know plenty here.

On Android, I'm following the Dev - G+, twitter, xda, etc. - to read reviews and get a feel for their work. Let's take Showbox for example, which is an unknown source app I use, I can decompile the APK and do the digging myself. But this only applies to ME, and others that are as paranoid as me.

For the careless user, who would blindly put trust in a software company including Blackberry, there are quite a few safe guards in place that standard users SHOULD use. You can activate a password verification on Play store purchases - free and fee. Activate the Parental Locks, and select what features you want functioning on your Android device. Safe guards are there.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    08-08-16 05:34 PM
    You may not know - but why does the US model differ from say, European models? (I can understand Verizon phones with the cdma might use a different chip).
    Outside of the CPU/GPU being different on the Samsung devices, regions of what appears to be the same device, are software locked. Radio bands in Europe wouldn't be active on a carrier locked device in the US.
    08-08-16 05:41 PM
    How is this "bug" supposed to "infect" the device, without any external input? There are no OTA viruses or malware. The user IS the vulnerability.
    Through an "official" app in the Google store.
    It's not like this has never happened before.
    Pokemon, the most recent one, did funny things until it was discovered.
    It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.
    08-08-16 05:42 PM
    No worries...
    08-08-16 05:42 PM
    Through an "official" app in the Google store.
    It's not like this has never happened before.
    Pokemon, the most recent one, did funny things until it was discovered.
    It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.
    Right!!! But that app can't magically jump on to anyone's device. The USER has to install it. Official app, unofficial, rogue, Pokemon, it doesn't matter. The user MUST install the app for an attack or infection to take hold.
    08-08-16 05:45 PM
    LMAO! I know you really badly want the Priv to be the reason Samsung did it, but is not, sorry bud.
    Ever heard of IFA? It happens early September each year, its like MWC of the 2nd half of the year, many phone maker unveil their phones and other products and services between Aug and September.

Again, at that time, the Stagefright exploit had to be combated and not allow anything further like it to happen again:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...evices-631484/

Would you like me to point something out that your Priv has you blind to?

iPhone 6S and 6S Plus arrived around that time:
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2015/...-6s-Plus/#mn_p

The Note5 also came around this time.

Apple were always known to be quick with Security updates, and last year there were a few exploits that Apple patched up quickly, and Samsung were being criticised for not being as quick.

Your precious Priv came so late, with so many issues, trying to go up against a Note5 and 6S Plus, we all knew it never stood a chance, the Priv was a year late really as even the older Note 4 was a better package.

Sorry mate, the Priv had no factor in this.
    You make excellent points indeed, professor. Samsung copies the heck out of Apple too! LMFAO

08-08-16 05:45 PM
    You make excellent points indeed, professor. Samsung copies the heck out of Apple too! LMFAO

And Apple copies the hell out of Samsung and other OEMs to, and they all share components and so on and so forth. Sort of how the whole industry is. Thanks Captain Obvious!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-08-16 05:48 PM
    End of the day: if this was an epidemic on Android, iOS or even BlackBerry 10 we'd have heard about it.

Headlines like "900M Android Users AT RISK" are just like "Chocolate/Red Wine may be BAD for you", lol.

In other words, abstract and affecting very few, if any...
    Mecca EL, MBrettH and PantherBlitz like this.
    08-08-16 05:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    People get duped by phone calls from someone telling them they are the IRS and owe money. Give us your credit card number or you will go to jail.
    What should we do, take phones away from people?
    Sure, some (not all) Android users might get fooled into downloading an app, answering a malicious email, or going to a fake website. We can't all hide behind walls in fright.
    anon(9353145) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-08-16 05:53 PM
    End of the day: if this was an epidemic on Android, iOS or even BlackBerry 10 we'd have heard about it.

Headlines like "900M Android Users AT RISK" are just like "Chocolate/Red Wine may be BAD for you", lol.

In other words, abstract and affecting very few, if any...
    Exactly. Great point.
    "Eating X increases your risk of cancer" does not mean everyone that eats X is going to die from cancer. If it did, we would see millions of people dropping dead. We aren't.
    08-08-16 05:56 PM
225 ... 23456 ...