Last weekend BBC programme Click showed a phone app that allows you to share traffic information in real-time. However, there isn't a Blackberry version yet.

Had to install it on my old WinMob phone and while this phone doesn't have a sim card (that's in my 9700), it does at least show how powerful and clever this sort of application will become.

Also, the number of wazers (ie WAZE users) is a little limited so there's no much to report at the moment... this can only change once a Blackberry client is released and more people get involved.

NB. I have no link to this company and if you know of a better app that works on blackberrys, please let me know.
    02-12-10 12:42 PM
    Two months on since my previous post and I'm still using WAZE on my old WinMob phone... One of the features of this apps is to improve on the road coverage of your own area. I've managed to map the major roads and a fair number of the lesser roads as well in the past weeks.
    And this week I installed a beta version on to my Blackberry. Still a few rough edges and no english version yet but my spanish is improving!.
    Should be able to dump the WinMob when WAZE is formality released.
    04-22-10 07:55 AM
    Waze is now out for BB! I downloaded today for my Tour. Ran fine the first time, but then later in the day, it said no network, as if I had no data, but data is working fine. And the gps stopped working.

Will need to do more testing...

m.waze.com to download

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 12:48 PM
    Ive been tinkering with this app for a couple of days now. No issues so far, but I will post what I find.
    05-05-10 01:45 PM
    Just loaded it up again and gps is fine. I don't see any of those prizes to 'eat' at all.

Know what the ! Icon at the top represents? Mine says !21 at the top.

05-05-10 05:12 PM
    waze kills 40% of my battery in the hour it takes to drive home.
    05-10-10 09:38 AM
    Ive been tinkering with this app for a couple of days now. No issues so far, but I will post what I find.
    Did you get it to work on a S2? I'm having 0 luck even with compatibility mode on.

The app is fail as far as I'm concerned.
    05-10-10 03:45 PM
    Been up and running for several days on my 9000. Not enough other Wazers nearby yet to matter much.

Takes about 10% of my battery per hour of drive time without other uses.

Maybe one day when this app catches on a bit more we will find more functionality.

My icon at the top says !26. Beats me.

05-10-10 07:19 PM
    Yeah definitely a big battery eater. It keeps the screen on all the time. Need more people using the app...

05-10-10 09:11 PM
    Waze tried routing through some parking lot when straight ahead would have been the better choice. then it tried to tell me to go into a right-turn only lane to make a left.
    05-10-10 09:36 PM
    Hmm, not good.

In my city, it seems to not have enough address information to route me anywhere at all.

05-11-10 06:37 AM
    I love waze!

It is definitely a huge battery hog, but I have a car charger and a charger at work and home, so that hasn't been an issue for me.

For those who were asking, I believe the ! at the top is for the number of alerts nearby. This is where people report things such as traffic, police traps, debris in the roadway... etc. I personally never report anything unless I'm in REALLY heavy (stopped) traffic because I don't like to be distracted while driving (not to mention California's ridiculous cell phone laws).

I haven't had a problem with not having enough content, but that's probably because I live in a pretty urban area where other users have already mapped out the roads.

I can't wait until they release a real (non beta) version with full functionality.
    05-11-10 12:20 PM
    I tried this today as I live in the UK....street names not showing as much as the pics do for this product and less users around and no munching treats?
    05-15-10 05:35 PM
    The ! at the top is for the number of alerts nearby, even if they are hundred of miles from you lol. I got a cupcake the other day; it was 2 bonus points. Also, if you're in traffic, you don't have to report anything, it automatically does it. I was sitting in a parking lot and forgot the app was running and when I left, Waze had reported "heavy traffic, complete standstill" lol

05-22-10 07:28 PM
    I've been running it for a week or so now and found it to be a pretty good program. I think I read somewhere that the "treats" are placed in places where there is a question about the road. The "treats" are a way to get people to drive down the road to confirm it does exist.

As I drive for a living, I really don't have time to get into the social part of it and have found that some of the alerts can be 100's of miles from me. I can confirm that I did look at it one day and it said that there was a police trap 13' from me and sure as heck I looked to my right and there was a state trooper sitting on the side of the road.

As far as the nav, I think I'll stick with TeleNav for a few reasons. First, a lot of locations I go to don't have an address so the only way to add them is to mark your current location which WAZE won't let you do. Second, WAZE tells you to keep right or keep left when you should be taking a right or left exit. It also tells you to keep right when it thinks you are reaching a dived highway. Third, I tested it going to a location I go to, 2 or 3 time a day and it try to tell me that the address was about 3 miles from where it actually was.

I've also had the same problem a previous posted mentioned, if I forget to stop the application when I get to my destination it will show a red block with an alert for major trafic delay.

Mikey
    05-29-10 11:09 AM
    I've been running it for a week or so now and found it to be a pretty good program. I think I read somewhere that the "treats" are placed in places where there is a question about the road. The "treats" are a way to get people to drive down the road to confirm it does exist.

As I drive for a living, I really don't have time to get into the social part of it and have found that some of the alerts can be 100's of miles from me. I can confirm that I did look at it one day and it said that there was a police trap 13' from me and sure as heck I looked to my right and there was a state trooper sitting on the side of the road.

As far as the nav, I think I'll stick with TeleNav for a few reasons. First, a lot of locations I go to don't have an address so the only way to add them is to mark your current location which WAZE won't let you do. Second, WAZE tells you to keep right or keep left when you should be taking a right or left exit. It also tells you to keep right when it thinks you are reaching a dived highway. Third, I tested it going to a location I go to, 2 or 3 time a day and it try to tell me that the address was about 3 miles from where it actually was.

I've also had the same problem a previous posted mentioned, if I forget to stop the application when I get to my destination it will show a red block with an alert for major trafic delay.

Mikey
    I believe they are working on including a radius feature for the alerts, so you can have it only show the ones within a certain distance. I hope they add this soon.

Yes, the cupcakes (or blackberries, or other "treats" depending on the time of year) are placed BOTH in areas that need to be driven and recorded still, as well as areas that are commonly driven.

Right now it's still being developed in the US, so I can't blame you for not wanting to use it as a navigation app for now. Hopefully it will get there eventually! The cool thing about waze is that YOU can edit the map. I do a lot of that in my spare time... adding house numbers (this feature has a bit of a bug right now though, that's why it's so terrible), correcting road geometry, etc. It's awesome because it's so dynamic, and once the basics are completed (those house numbers are really key here), it is going to be BETTER than any other navigation app because it is so dynamic and offers all of those real-time features. One day it will get there.

As far as the problem of not shutting it down... well, yeah. If you don't shut it down it will report that you're stuck in traffic.
    06-01-10 10:06 AM
    The program also need some cosmetic clean up:
    • Battery meter covers up the number of alerts in the system.
    • Next turn indicator is cut off and you can't read the distance to the next action.
    • Next turn indicator covers up the distance to go and the ETA.

I'm using the program on a Nextel 8350i

Mikey
    06-01-10 10:45 AM
    I have heard those complaints before, but I haven't experienced them myself for some reason (maybe it's because I have it on a Tour, I don't know honestly). Also, I believe the 8350i isn't one of the supported devices right now.

I believe I read that they were working on fixing those issues. Since it's only a beta (the BB Beta is considerably less developed than any other version), it is definitely still far from perfect.
    06-01-10 10:58 AM
    I have heard those complaints before, but I haven't experienced them myself for some reason (maybe it's because I have it on a Tour, I don't know honestly). Also, I believe the 8350i isn't one of the supported devices right now.

I believe I read that they were working on fixing those issues. Since it's only a beta (the BB Beta is considerably less developed than any other version), it is definitely still far from perfect.
    I just looked at the website and did not see any mention of which BB's are supported.
    06-01-10 12:09 PM
    I just looked at the website and did not see any mention of which BB's are supported.
    Waze: Way to go
    06-01-10 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD