This thread is kinda crazy man. If you don't want Android on your BlackBerry you have that choice. Perhaps if our runtime is ever ugraded to Kit Kat we will have the choice of selecting permissions. Until then just be careful as you should always have regardless. There are BlackBerry native apps that have had very questionable permission requests. Just because I can choose not to give that permission doesn't mean I still want that app. It gets removed.

There are many app choices on Android that even though I can't choose which permissions to give they only have ones that are required and nothing more. Not all but there is enough choice to find good ones. The Android runtime is icing on the cake. Does anyone think that if it wasn't there the developers would be coming in droves? No.

It is a stop gap, if it brings more people to the platform it could help grow the platform on the back of Android Apps. This is a huge advantage. Yes native apps would be better, but that isn't going to come to BlackBerry without major platform adoption. That isn't going to happen overnight. Without the Android runtime and access to popular apps that will never happen. You might as well kiss BlackBerry goodbye then. Gone the way of WebOS.

If you still don't get it then be happy you are on a platform of such choices. I'm glad I'm not tied to the walled gardens of both iOS and WP. I am glad I'm not stuck with Android alone. It may not be a walled garden at all but it also has few walls at all. If that's what you want then get yourself Android.

Posted via CB10
    TBH I don't see that there is any choice as to whether the android part is on our phones. For instance, I did the 10.2 update and later went into Blackberry World, My World and looked at what was installed. Later, looked again and there is 155MBs of Android runtime....installed....that I didn't out there and quite frankly don't want there, as I am not one who is going to be downloading android apps. I can't see any way of deleting it, and believe me I have tried. I had an android a long time ago and wouldn't give one house room now....yet here it is, on my Z10. Ok there might have been the odd smear of it to enable certain features, but I don't wish to add to it. Now of course, if I do the 10.2.1 update there will be a whole lot more, taking up memory and as one person said, turning my BlackBerry into a Droidberry. I've even considered firing my Curve up again to use as my phone.....without the Gmail and aol daily email issues...and use the Z10 as a tablet for FB / Twitter / CB10 etc.

So I am torn....to update and get the android that I don't want, or to not update and get left behind. I know which way I'm leaning....

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:50 PM
    Are you saying it's a "little work" for an android developer to completely rebuild his app to a native BB10 app? I'm pretty sure it's not.
    At the most basic level it is and at that point they would tend to get the lowest returns too, but with a bit more effort they can go much further and in the less crowded marketplace of bb world they could very easily see their app standing out and profit accordingly.

The simple fact of the matter is that a blanket statement of all apps or one of no apps will benefit from being made native are both equally silly, some would benefit and others would not and it is up to developers to decide such things carefully.
    02-01-14 01:52 PM
    That simply isn't true no matter how many times you repeat it or threads you try creating, BB has gone out of their way not to over-hype this feature despite the potential benefits it has to those users which want to install apps, they are not trying to create a hybrid platform they are simply trying to do to every other part of their OS which is improve the functionality of the features with each new release.
    They are killing their platform in the process of using a different platforms apps. This is true regardless of how many times you deny it or disagree with it. Native app development is going to take a dive as those developers can just make android apps.
    So you own a DroidBerry now, should you have just bought Android?-img_20140201_145136.png

The new arrivals apps have been unchanging for the last month.

Not to mention the free advertising blackberry is giving to other companies by having its users exploring other platform apps, amazon store, google apks etc.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:52 PM
    I don't think anyone is saying they want Android apps. They want apps periods and I think its a pretty ingenious way to get them. The source of those apps should be irrelevant. I download the apps that aren't in Appworld. Does that make me want to buy an Android? Certainly not. Love my Z10 and some of the apps like Slingplayer just make me want to watch my Directv on a Z30. No S4 or Nexus for me. Sorry.
    02-01-14 01:53 PM
    How is it a stop gap, it's more like smoke and mirrors. You don't stop the app gap by using a different platforms apps. Your own platforms app gap still exists and what's worse is you stop producing apps for your own platform. No one will make bb10 apps if people will just load up android apps. No incentive is a dead platform.

Posted via CB10
    Ok how is it like smoke and mirrors? This is your opinion. There are many advantages to loading Native BB10 apps to your phone over android versions. Developers won't care what you think until they see more people using the platform. Then maybe they might see how easy it is and how much choice in coding language they have as a developer. Until then they can always just submit their android version. What was stopping them from doing that before 10.2.1?

What is the point of this argument? Are you seriously going to sit there and tell us that the BlackBerry platform is dead because of it's ability to use Android apps? When it was argued, before they had the ability to load apps so easily, the platform was dying anyway because of a lack of apps which helped turn customers away, which in turn pushed developers away? How were we better off before exactly? If you don't want to use Android apps then don't but you, nor I, nor anyone here, has control over Blackberry's decision to use an Android VM to help close an app gap. The platform is not dead. It would be if BlackBerry remained so adamant, as you do, that they didn't need to give their customers access to apps that developers, in some cases, outright refused to make. Even with monetary incentive. Even with the prospect of BlackBerry making it for them and still paying them.

Some people will never be happy.

This thread is crazy. Have a nice day.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:56 PM
    Bb10 os should have an option to allow you to remove the 155 mb android run time. I don't use it, I don't plan on installing android apps and I definitely didn't want android on my phone when I bought a blackberry.

If this is about choice, I should have a choice of removing it.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:56 PM
    Probably not, but they should have stayed on a clear path since last january and focused on their own platform and not android integration. Honestly how many new customers did they get as a result of android app support expansion? Its mostly existing blackberry 10 consumers who are excited.

Posted via CB10
    They tried developing their own platform first, but the strategy was not working. Users were screaming about app gap. Now with Android app support, more people are expressing their joy and happiness.

Just look at how many people in this thread are expressing their support of BlackBerry 's new strategy, you should be able to get an idea how this new strategy translates to improved customer satisfaction.

Admittedly, there are people like you and Belfastdispatcher who are concerned about the rate of increase in native apps count, some may even leave the platform for this decision, but that's such a minority on which BlackBerry can not base their strategy on.

It's all statistics man.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-01-14 01:59 PM
    TBH I don't see that there is any choice as to whether the android part is on our phones. For instance, I did the 10.2 update and later went into Blackberry World, My World and looked at what was installed. Later, looked again and there is 155MBs of Android runtime....installed....that I didn't out there and quite frankly don't want there, as I am not one who is going to be downloading android apps. I can't see any way of deleting it, and believe me I have tried. I had an android a long time ago and wouldn't give one house room now....yet here it is, on my Z10. Ok there might have been the odd smear of it to enable certain features, but I don't wish to add to it. Now of course, if I do the 10.2.1 update there will be a whole lot more, taking up memory and as one person said, turning my BlackBerry into a Droidberry. I've even considered firing my Curve up again to use as my phone.....without the Gmail and aol daily email issues...and use the Z10 as a tablet for FB / Twitter / CB10 etc.

So I am torn....to update and get the android that I don't want, or to not update and get left behind. I know which way I'm leaning....

Posted via CB10
    The Android player has been a part of BB10 from day one. It's what allowed devs port their apps over so really, if you're using Skype, or Flip board or any number of ported apps, then you're already using the android version. It's just been converted to a bar file instead of apk.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:00 PM
    I will disagree respectfully with the OP. While Android is awesome, just because you want apps that are available in the Google Play store, doesn't necessarily mean that you want or should buy an Android or an Android OS. Another poster said something similar.

To be honest, I've been a big fan of the Android phone line. But now, I'm more into Sony than the Galaxy S series. Any phone that's just super popular, I'm kind of "eh" about. Nothing against those phones at all - they're cool! - I just don't really want a phone that everyone else has.

But I digress (imagine Sophia Petrillo from The Golden Girls saying that). Sure, if I wanted the Android hardware and OS, I'd go Android; but if I just want a few apps that are available on the Google Play Store, I'd sideload them or whatever it's called.

Also, BlackBerry being able to bridge the app gap a bit more should be an advantage to the company, not an overall assumption that it's turning into a droid-like BlackBerry. I think the fact that we have more apps available is cool!
    Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:02 PM
    Bb10 os should have an option to allow you to remove the 155 mb android run time. I don't use it, I don't plan on installing android apps and I definitely didn't want android on my phone when I bought a blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    My thoughts too. The ones that want it can keep it...those of us that don't should be able to delete it.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    That definitely will not happen since it does not fit in with current Blackberry strategy which involves relying on Android apps.

1. They want to refine the android runtime until Android apps run smoothly without problems on BB10. (which is why it's still considered and a developer feature)
    2. They want developers to submit their Android apps directly to Blackberry world.

If they accomplish step 1, they can confidently move on to step 2.
    After both take place, the end user will only end up seeing the rich app eco-system BB has to offer and sideloading/direct apk installing will not be necessary. So looks like Android run time will be a very important component of BB10 and I doubt they will give us the option to remove it.
    Last edited by propeller10; 02-01-14 at 02:42 PM.
    02-01-14 02:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately they can't because many apps from BB World are also android apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-01-14 02:07 PM
    This is a simple option given for user to select, if user dislike android apps then don't install. App world still here and BlackBerry company still exist and alive..... options is what we needed
    02-01-14 02:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can't get rid of it, but you can choose not to download Android apps. Although I don't understand why people are so afraid of Android apps. Besides the fact the runtime is sandboxed and apps can only affect your phone if you give it permission to, you can simply not install Android apps. You'd be severely limiting your phones abilities! But at least you can. If you have no Android apps on your phone the runtime remains unused.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:09 PM
    Still have a Note 2 which is gathering dust. Q10 is my daily driver but doesn't feel at all like a DroidBerry. All my apps are native and I might try 1 android app. It's good people have optional choices and I see it as a positive thing BB10 can run android apps, it shows the versatility of the OS.
    Morty2264 and Sarek1701 like this.
    02-01-14 02:10 PM
    That definitely will not happen since it does not fit in with current Blackberry strategy which involves replying on Android apps.

1. They want to refine the android runtime until Android apps run smoothly without problems on BB10. (which is why it's still considered and a developer feature)
    2. They want developers to submit their Android apps directly to Blackberry world.

If they accomplish step 1, they can confidently move on to step 2.
    After both take place, the end user will only end up seeing the rich app eco-system BB has to offer and sideloading/direct apk installing will not be necessary. So looks like Android run time will be a very important component of BB10 and I doubt they will give us the option to remove it.
    Then it saddens me to say I will be leaving in September for a non android platform.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:12 PM
    You can't get rid of it, but you can choose not to download Android apps. Although I don't understand why people are so afraid of Android apps. Besides the fact the runtime is sandboxed and apps can only affect your phone if you give it permission to, you can simply not install Android apps. You'd be severely limiting your phones abilities! But at least you can. If you have no Android apps on your phone the runtime remains unused.

Posted via CB10
    Ah....someone who I think might explain it to me

What is sandboxed hun...does that mean sort of packed away somewhere not being used?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:14 PM
    Then it saddens me to say I will be leaving in September for a non android platform.

Posted via CB10
    There's a thread for that here...... http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/

Sarek1701 and BergerKing like this.
    02-01-14 02:15 PM
    There's a thread for that here...... http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/

I too once was a fool, now I'm being linked the very thread I used to link!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:18 PM
    I shared the thought process of the OP at one point. Then I thought we sandbox mobile too much. Apple has Parallel (or whatever it is called) so folk can run MS built software. I don't see arguments in the main they should have just bought a MS PC. Same goes for using Google stuff and not buying a chrome book.

Choice is good especially when the developers aren't on board.

Sent from my Z10
    02-01-14 02:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    There is an easy solution to this. Do not install any android apps on your device.
    cbosdell likes this.
    02-01-14 02:23 PM
    Smh people live and die by their phones these days. It's a piece of plastic and aluminum.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-01-14 02:24 PM
    Wow OP whats your angle here? What are you so worked up about? You make a thread and then you try to counter every single point made and yet here we are six pages later and the song and dance hasnt changed.....Please accept our sincere apologies for using the OS we like--
    BBSpring likes this.
    02-01-14 02:31 PM
    I am eagerly waiting for my carrier to roll-out 10.2.1, but not for the apk stuff. I am more into other nice stuff that update brings, and I'm only going to dld 2 DROID apps. Tapatalk, but I would be just fine without it, and my banking app, but still be OK with the web version.

Couldn't care less for Candy crush and s**t like that, it's not why I bought my Z in the first place.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Z10 on Cosmote Romania
    02-01-14 02:36 PM
    I agree with the OP and have no intention of installing any Android apps on my phone. I'm fine with the apps in BlackBerry World. I just wish I could delete the Android runtime on my phone because it's a waste of device memory in my opinion. If I wanted Android apps I would of purchase a Android phone.

Posted Via AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    02-01-14 02:37 PM
186 ... 45678