What direction is that? A hub OS that relies on android apps as a selling point?

Posted via CB10
    umm.. ok.. i was wrong.. im happy with my BB.. and my 2 android apps lol lol Gee!!
    02-01-14 01:27 PM
    Can somebody give me a good reason why would an android developer make their app into a native BB10 app now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nobody can, there is no reason.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:27 PM
    That is stretching the truth rather to claim that, it was a hidden feature in a couple of versions and is still not officially live in the latest version of android either now is it?
    I thought after you install the app you can change permissions on android. Is that not the case?

02-01-14 01:28 PM
    This doesn't make sense to me, there is a lot of raving going around about the android run time being upgraded in 10.2.1. Additionally there is just as much raving going on about installing .APK's and android apps.

If you really wanted all this why not just buy android, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not discouraging anyone from doing this or being excited by the changes, but this is easily available on any android device without all the hassle.

Blackberry was a unique brand, now it seems that it will allow any exterior factor to influence it's design/operation.

It's just really an DroidBerry.

It's sort of hypocritical to question androids security and make fun of knox when really you now have a potential of introducing malicious software on your blackberry.

I seriously question the security of any blackberry device with side loaded or installed android apps or apks.

I'm not looking for a fight or to offend any one, but the hypocrisy is huge here.

Blackberry has branched off too many limbs that it can no longer sustain it's self as a whole,

There are still people using os 5

They have the os 7 die hard's who are canibilizing os 10 sales.

They have the os 10 diehards who don't care for android

They have the os 10/Android die hards - is this even a market or target audience?

They have no clear plan for the future.

What are they selling and who are they selling it to?

Also, why should developers be encouraged to make bb10 native apps anymore since they can just make 1 android app for both platforms. No wonder google agreed to this, blackberry is killing it's self.

Posted via CB10
    I would just say that sometimes a partnership isn't always bad the auto industries do and have been doing it for years and they bounce back. Besides I have no problem with Andriod just as long as BlackBerry does not consider anything here on the states with iPhone. But funny you should mention DroidBerry because I was wondering if we were becoming more of and Andriod platform either way I think it's smart on BlackBerry's behalf.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:29 PM
    I thought after you install the app you can change permissions on android. Is that not the case?

Some you can, others you can't also most won't even run if you don't give them all the permissions.

It's a trade off, you want to use our free application then you gotta give us access to some of your information (data farming 101).

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    If I put it in context of my work it sounds crazy.

Say I have two deliveries from Belfast to Dublin. That would mean I would have to deliver the first one, come back and deliver the second at no extra pay but double the cost.

02-01-14 01:31 PM
    There was a hidden feature in 4.3 (and maybe 4.4) that let you control permissions but it got pulled after that by google due to vast numbers of apps not having been coded to gracefully handle less permissions and being liable to crash badly.
    02-01-14 01:32 PM
    If I put it in context of my work it sounds crazy.

Say I have two deliveries from Belfast to Dublin. That would mean I would have to deliver the first one, come back and deliver the second at no extra pay but double the cost.

You could put it in many contexts and it would be crazy,
    For example,
    Should ford make two different engines, one for Mazda one for their own Fords? Or can they use the same engine - I think they'll use the same engine.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:34 PM
    A better analogy might be that you have two parcels in the same delivery and if you spend a little bit of time to package one of them up in a nicer way you can charge extra.
    02-01-14 01:35 PM
    Who cares I buy blackberry for a blackberry. I have a few android apps. I live the phone. It's just a bonus. Be happy

From my z10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-01-14 01:37 PM
    You could put it in many contexts and it would be crazy,
    For example,
    Should ford make two different engines, one for Mazda one for their own Fords? Or can they use the same engine - I think they'll use the same engine.
    Funny how people always try to squash their point into an analogy that fits their bias when using cars you could just as easily have one like this instead, you can just release one model of car with right-hand drive , but with a bit of effort you can also produce a left-hand drive model and proceed to sell more by doing so.
    02-01-14 01:38 PM
    Who cares I buy blackberry for a blackberry. I have a few android apps. I live the phone. It's just a bonus. Be happy

From my z10
    It's not just a bonus, it's a whole new marketing strategy/approach.

Posted via CB10
    A better analogy might be that you have two parcels in the same delivery and if you spend a little bit of time to package one of them up in a nicer way you can charge extra.
    The parcels in my analogy are obviously from two different clients. And just to clear it ip I do urgent same day deliveries.

Instead of 3 hours and 200 miles I would have to drive 6 hours and 400 miles for the same pay.

Funny how people always try to squash their point into an analogy that fits their bias when using cars you could just as easily have one like this instead, you can just release one model of car with right-hand drive , but with a bit of effort you can also produce a left-hand drive model and proceed to sell more by doing so.
    The side of your steering wheel isn't a big selling point, additionally it's regulated in most countries. While ford does indeed use one engine for many of its 'different' cars.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:40 PM
    The parcels in my analogy are obviously from two different clients. And just to clear it ip I do urgent same day deliveries.

Instead of 3 hours and 200 miles I would have to drive 6 hours and 400 miles for the same pay.
    Perhaps you should rethink its applicability as an analogy for the app situation then as in that case it is more likely that a little work would produce more money rather than a lot more work would produce no benefits.
    02-01-14 01:41 PM
    If BlackBerry drops android support right now, would that encourages app developers making their apps native for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. It's because this post and any CB post will only be seen by a fraction of bb10 users. There's a whole world out there that doesn't know about APK or CB.
    We're getting off topic though, the over-hyping of android app availability and the push to integrate as much android as possible into blackberry is creating a hybrid android/blackberry platform almost.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:42 PM
    Wrong. It's because this post and any CB post will only be seen by a fraction of bb10 users. There's a whole world out there that doesn't know about APK or CB.
    Blackberry is alive today thanks to CB and the rest of us for loyally buying everything blackberry has offered.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:43 PM
    The side of your steering wheel isn't a big selling point, additionally it's regulated in most countries. While ford does indeed use one engine for many of its 'different' cars.
    It is actually a selling point if you have ever tried driving a car in one country that has been imported from another where they drive on the other side of the road and it is not regulated anywhere as people can freely import cars if they like.
    02-01-14 01:43 PM
    Perhaps you should rethink its applicability as an analogy for the app situation then as in that case it is more likely that a little work would produce more money rather than a lot more work would produce no benefits.
    Are you saying it's a "little work" for an android developer to completely rebuild his app to a native BB10 app? I'm pretty sure it's not.

02-01-14 01:44 PM
    If BlackBerry drops android support right now, would that encourages app developers making their apps native for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    Probably not, but they should have stayed on a clear path since last january and focused on their own platform and not android integration. Honestly how many new customers did they get as a result of android app support expansion? Its mostly existing blackberry 10 consumers who are excited.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 01:45 PM
    Nope cos no Android pushers have the lovely BB10 user interface and the features of a BES10 enabled BB10 phone.

I've tried all the mainstream Android user interfaces and I dislike them all for their unintuitive cluttered approach. Sony's is probably the cleanest but I still prefer BB10 for usability.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    02-01-14 01:45 PM
    We're getting off topic though, the over-hyping of android app availability and the push to integrate as much android as possible into blackberry is creating a hybrid android/blackberry platform almost.
    That simply isn't true no matter how many times you repeat it or threads you try creating, BB has gone out of their way not to over-hype this feature despite the potential benefits it has to those users which want to install apps, they are not trying to create a hybrid platform they are simply trying to do to every other part of their OS which is improve the functionality of the features with each new release.
    eddy_berry, collinc93 and web99 like this.
    02-01-14 01:46 PM
    It is actually a selling point if you have ever tried driving a car in one country that has been imported from another where they drive on the other side of the road and it is not regulated anywhere as people can freely import cars if they like.
    So let's see, consumer has to check and verify regulations, pay import fees and buy the car. That's a lot of money and the market for that isn't big. That's not the same as my engine analogy, Mazda and Ford can sell thousands of different cars with the same parts - huge market.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:49 PM
186 ... 34567 ...