Then don't download the flashlight app. There are also many apps in BB World that don't give a choice on permissions. Those would be the ported Android apps. If one doesn't feel comfortable with what an app is asking permission to use, don't download it. it's as simple as that.
    But the point is with ALL android apps you don't have that choice, it's either all permissions or you can't use the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-01-14 01:05 PM
    I love the hub and the overall BB10 experience but certainly I feel we were left off in the apps

Injustice was the only game I wanted from Android. Everything else is extra

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:05 PM
    The better question for everyone is, if there was no possibility of sideloading android apps at all right now would you stay with blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    tdoog, flyingsolid and Bluline79 like this.
    02-01-14 01:06 PM
    But the point is with ALL android apps you don't have that choice, it's either all permissions or you can't use the app.

Then don't use them.... as I said, it's as simple as that. The fact is, you, the user, make the choice.
    02-01-14 01:08 PM
    I, for one, am getting very tired of the whole "App Gap" and "Android" argument. I have 2 BlackBerry 10 devices and switch back and forth, sometimes daily. I have the latest OS on both. I do use a few Android apps, but the VAST majority are from BB World.

Much like my choice of phone, I like to have the choice of what I put on it. As for whether or not this functionality is wise or not, I leave that to BlackBerry to worry about. As long as my devices work and I am able to do what I want with them, I'm happy. I also don't believe that my BB10 devices will suddenly self-destruct if BB has further trouble. I usually change phones every couple of years anyway. In 2 more years the market will be different no matter what. I'm not going to waste any time stressing about that now.

#BlackBerryByChoice
    dusdal and web99 like this.
    02-01-14 01:08 PM
    The better question for everyone is, if there was no possibility of sideloading android apps at all right now would you stay with blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, absolutely. I bought the phone and love every update and look forward to the next ones too. I use a very few select apps but like having the option to use others as I see fit. It's not like the newly added feature of direct APK install has swayed me to stay as I was never considering leaving.
    02-01-14 01:09 PM
    I'm running a BB10 device with a great OS on it that I am able to supplement with a few apps like spotify and duolingo that are available on android but not on BB10.

The strength of direct apk installs in 10.2.1 is not purely to do with wanting android apps so much as it is about expanding your options while using the OS that you prefer and the idea that bb10/android die hards are even a thing is a flawed hypothesis, those are bb10 diehards who are happy to see another new feature among many that further improves what they already have.

As far as your claim that developers won't see the benefits of creating native apps, those that create high quality native apps are always going to see the demand from people as the native apps just work better when programmed properly.
    Since everyone so easily accepts the less quality working android apps why bother making a quality native bb10 app? When you can make one android app, put it in the play store, and people can also side load it. Absolutely no incentive to make an bb10 app, android users can't use it and that's also a much bigger market.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:10 PM
    So basically what you are saying is that BB10 is in a better position than android because it can control permissions on native apps whereas on android you have to accept all the requested permissions.
    02-01-14 01:11 PM
    This doesn't make sense to me, there is a lot of raving going around about the android run time being upgraded in 10.2.1. Additionally there is just as much raving going on about installing .APK's and android apps.

If you really wanted all this why not just buy android, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not discouraging anyone from doing this or being excited by the changes, but this is easily available on any android device without all the hassle.

Blackberry was a unique brand, now it seems that it will allow any exterior factor to influence it's design/operation.

It's just really an DroidBerry.

It's sort of hypocritical to question androids security and make fun of knox when really you now have a potential of introducing malicious software on your blackberry.

I seriously question the security of any blackberry device with side loaded or installed android apps or apks.

I'm not looking for a fight or to offend any one, but the hypocrisy is huge here.

Blackberry has branched off too many limbs that it can no longer sustain it's self as a whole,

There are still people using os 5

They have the os 7 die hard's who are canibilizing os 10 sales.

They have the os 10 diehards who don't care for android

They have the os 10/Android die hards - is this even a market or target audience?

They have no clear plan for the future.

What are they selling and who are they selling it to?

Also, why should developers be encouraged to make bb10 native apps anymore since they can just make 1 android app for both platforms. No wonder google agreed to this, blackberry is killing it's self.

Posted via CB10
    Is not android apps man, is just apps, and if we have the ability to manage apps from two platforms, how can that be a bad thing? In fact is great that BlackBerry OS10 is the only platform that can do that!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:12 PM
    So basically what you are saying is that BB10 is in a better position than android because it can control permissions on native apps whereas on android you have to accept all the requested permissions.
    Huh?

02-01-14 01:13 PM
    Absolutely, something like spotify working again is a nice bonus on top of the user experience and interface that I find superior on bb10 than either ios or android, but a particular app is not going to be a dealbreaker for me.
    02-01-14 01:13 PM
    Huh?
    This thread is about why don't people get an android if they think apk installs are so important, but if you did move to android then none of your apps would allow you to control the permissions unlike on bb10 where at least the native ones do.
    02-01-14 01:14 PM
    As long as BB makes phones ill have a BB. The app gap is closed now.. thats all. Long Live BB!!
    02-01-14 01:15 PM
    'why not just buy a s4 or s5'.
    Android is a variant of an OS. It is just a development environment similar to html5, opengl, java, python, etc.

Both BlackBerry and Sammy devices support android programming language. So, the question is what additional apps or features are available on a smartphone. Many complain that Samsung phones are overloaded with bloatware while BlackBerry gives you the best productivity / communication suite. Take for example bbm - it is way ahead on BlackBerry devices than on iOS and Android. Similar applies to secure container - it is better integrated in BlackBerry 10 than what they (knox and bes10) put on android.

I believe android central should start covering BlackBerry 10 in their android tests and articles while cb would remain focused on BlackBerry strength such as productivity, communication and security. To describe how to play candy crush on both sites is redundant.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:17 PM
    So, am I the only person on here who realizes that this is just a phone? It's a hunk of plastic, metal, and glass. It's not a life style, religion, or philosophical ideology. People should use it in the way that they enjoy and that makes the most out of the phone for them.

If someone owns a Z10 because they like the Hub and and communication experience, but wants to play Candy Crush and can now do so a little easier, awesome! If you don't, that's great too, enjoy your phone in your own way! Why waste energy criticising others for enjoying their phones in their own way? Some people here just need to chill out and relax.
    web99, Sarek1701 and spikesolie like this.
    As long as BB makes phones ill have a BB. The app gap is closed now.. thats all. Long Live BB!!
    The BlackBerry 10 app gap is still huge, you don't close a gap by using someone else's apps.

Additionally by using someone else's apps you stop producing your own.

As a result you make your own platform irrelevant.

This is happening.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog and Bluline79 like this.
    This thread is about why don't people get an android if they think apk installs are so important, but if you did move to android then none of your apps would allow you to control the permissions unlike on bb10 where at least the native ones do.
    Android platform does allow you to control permissions on android devices. On BB10 it doesn't.

02-01-14 01:18 PM
    This thread is kinda crazy man. If you don't want Android on your BlackBerry you have that choice. Perhaps if our runtime is ever ugraded to Kit Kat we will have the choice of selecting permissions. Until then just be careful as you should always have regardless. There are BlackBerry native apps that have had very questionable permission requests. Just because I can choose not to give that permission doesn't mean I still want that app. It gets removed.

There are many app choices on Android that even though I can't choose which permissions to give they only have ones that are required and nothing more. Not all but there is enough choice to find good ones. The Android runtime is icing on the cake. Does anyone think that if it wasn't there the developers would be coming in droves? No.

It is a stop gap, if it brings more people to the platform it could help grow the platform on the back of Android Apps. This is a huge advantage. Yes native apps would be better, but that isn't going to come to BlackBerry without major platform adoption. That isn't going to happen overnight. Without the Android runtime and access to popular apps that will never happen. You might as well kiss BlackBerry goodbye then. Gone the way of WebOS.

If you still don't get it then be happy you are on a platform of such choices. I'm glad I'm not tied to the walled gardens of both iOS and WP. I am glad I'm not stuck with Android alone. It may not be a walled garden at all but it also has few walls at all. If that's what you want then get yourself Android.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:19 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 app gap is still huge, you don't close a gap by using someone else's apps.

Additionally by using someone else's apps you stop producing your own.

As a result you make your own platform irrelevant.

This is happening.

Posted via CB10
    ok.. not closed.. but its a lot better these days for BB phones. Another step in the right direction.
    02-01-14 01:22 PM

It is a stop gap, if it brings more people to the platform it could help grow the platform on the back of Android Apps. This is a huge advantage. Yes native apps would be better, but that isn't going to come to BlackBerry without major platform adoption. That isn't going to happen overnight.

Posted via CB10
    How is it a stop gap, it's more like smoke and mirrors. You don't stop the app gap by using a different platforms apps. Your own platforms app gap still exists and what's worse is you stop producing apps for your own platform. No one will make bb10 apps if people will just load up android apps. No incentive is a dead platform.

Posted via CB10
    OP I am glad you wrote 'bout' in your thread topic and not bought (Freudian slip maybe)...even you dont believe we are secret 'Androidians' (yes coined a new word--Google where are you?!)....
    ok.. not closed.. but its a lot better these days for BB phones. Another step in the right direction.
    What direction is that? A hub OS that relies on android apps as a selling point?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:24 PM
    OP I am glad you wrote 'bout' in your thread topic and not bought (Freudian slip maybe)...even you dont believe we are secret 'Androidians' (yes coined a new word--Google where are you?!)....
    Yikes, I failed.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:25 PM
    Can somebody give me a good reason why would an android developer make their app into a native BB10 app now?

02-01-14 01:25 PM
    Android platform does allow you to control permissions on android devices. On BB10 it doesn't.
    That is stretching the truth rather to claim that, it was a hidden feature in a couple of versions and is still not officially live in the latest version of android either now is it?
    02-01-14 01:26 PM
186 ... 23456 ...