But do you prefer your z30 or z30 with Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    I prefer Z30 with Android apps support. Without it, it's less appealing.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-01-14 12:47 PM
    One important point, you can't control permissions for android apps, it's allow all permissions or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-01-14 12:48 PM
    I think you're missing the point. The people here like the phones, with or without the apps, as been shown over the last year. The app gap has never been a secret and we are still here. The fact that those apps are now available, is just an added bonus, not a decision to go to an Android device. Once again, the OS is no different than it was a week ago (of course aside from all the added functionality and features they added in the latest update. )
    How is this going to attract new consumers? How is this going to motivate native app and platform development/evolution.

It's just a bandaid to stop the bb10 users from complaining about no apps.

Where does this fit in the grand scheme to things?

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    I prefer Z30 with Android apps support. Without it, it's less appealing.

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    5 things BlackBerry should do for the future!
    1. Install some useful features we had on all the Bolds (Contact Groups sync with exchange for example)
    2. Update the BES. (make possible to install more than one mail profile)
    3. Promoting
    4. Promoting
    5. Promoting

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:51 PM
    I see zero incentives for developers to make native BB10 apps now, that's not a good thing.

In short term, it's mostly true. But if BlackBerry 10 gains traction, the app developers will be back.

Without Android runtime, BlackBerry may not survive through the short term. With it BlackBerry has a fighting chance.

02-01-14 12:52 PM
    Two words. Hell no!

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.1925
    02-01-14 12:53 PM
    Loading Android apps is like buy a Chevy and putting Ford Emblems all over it. and saying, " Now, my Ford has Horsepower."
    No. It's more like adding optional features to your auto of choice, to have the best of two worlds - the auto of your choice, and features that may come standard on a less preferred auto.

Nothing to see here folks...move along.
    dusdal likes this.
    02-01-14 12:53 PM
    This doesn't make sense to me, there is a lot of raving going around about the android run time being upgraded in 10.2.1. Additionally there is just as much raving going on about installing .APK's and android apps.

If you really wanted all this why not just buy android, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not discouraging anyone from doing this or being excited by the changes, but this is easily available on any android device without all the hassle.

Blackberry was a unique brand, now it seems that it will allow any exterior factor to influence it's design/operation.

It's just really an DroidBerry.

It's sort of hypocritical to question androids security and make fun of knox when really you now have a potential of introducing malicious software on your blackberry.

I seriously question the security of any blackberry device with side loaded or installed android apps or apks.

I'm not looking for a fight or to offend any one, but the hypocrisy is huge here.

Blackberry has branched off too many limbs that it can no longer sustain it's self as a whole,

There are still people using os 5

They have the os 7 die hard's who are canibilizing os 10 sales.

They have the os 10 diehards who don't care for android

They have the os 10/Android die hards - is this even a market or target audience?

They have no clear plan for the future.

What are they selling and who are they selling it to?

Also, why should developers be encouraged to make bb10 native apps anymore since they can just make 1 android app for both platforms. No wonder google agreed to this, blackberry is killing it's self.

Posted via CB10
    Same here.

There is a huge dangerous trend here in crackberry: Hyping SIDELOADING and Android apps!!!

I was stunned seeing in the front page "How to install Candy Crush on BlackBerry". WTF??? "How to install Clash of titans", and so on.

This is becoming very "political correct " Crackberry. Lets love Windows, iOS and Android , holding hands together and saying "Yay, we love you!".

Pathetic!!! Why owning a BlackBerry???? There is a purpose. It's a communication device. Always was and always will be! But not anymore, if you guys HYPING Android like crazy! Because devs don't see the importance to develop for BlackBerry anymore. Why should they? Hey, I just do it for iOS and Android. BB guys now can download it anyway on their BlackBerry and they love it obviously!"

What a shame. Once it was a powerful brand. Now all the users become slight sissys and obey the system, instead of saying "NO!" one time! One time saying "No!" I am not okay with that trend.

I am a core BB user and don't need fart apps from Android or look what iOS has.

Why making things half-a55ed??? Go 100% or let it go! If you think Android is that BIG TIME then go and buy an Android. You mist make a decision! Having both of the best worlds, won't function long-term.

So keep on HYPING Android and SIDE-LOADING and have SIDELOAD PArtys and saying "YAY!". You will see what happens to BlackBerry long term.
    02-01-14 12:54 PM
    In short term, it's mostly true. But if BlackBerry 10 gains traction, the app developers will be back.

Without Android runtime, BlackBerry may not survive through the short term. With it BlackBerry has a fighting chance.

Even if it gains traction, I still see no incentives for developers, it would be twice the work with the exact same returns.

02-01-14 12:55 PM
    I'm running a BB10 device with a great OS on it that I am able to supplement with a few apps like spotify and duolingo that are available on android but not on BB10.

The strength of direct apk installs in 10.2.1 is not purely to do with wanting android apps so much as it is about expanding your options while using the OS that you prefer and the idea that bb10/android die hards are even a thing is a flawed hypothesis, those are bb10 diehards who are happy to see another new feature among many that further improves what they already have.

As far as your claim that developers won't see the benefits of creating native apps, those that create high quality native apps are always going to see the demand from people as the native apps just work better when programmed properly.
    02-01-14 12:55 PM
    Its still a BlackBerry, there's a great difference between the OS and the apps and the OS is still very different to any other out there. The idea was to draw people who absolutely have to have their apps, but it seems there's just no pleasing people is there? Personally, I think its just amazing, the whole of Amazon Appstore is opened up to you with ease, no need for sideloading, while you keep your BlackBerry love going, and for the more adventurous of us, Snap opens you up to Google Play, what could be wrong with that?
    02-01-14 12:56 PM
    More choices are better. Right?
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    Better for who and for how long?

Posted via CB10
    Giving blackberry owners access to android apps is a way to stop further people from leaving the platform based on the 'no apps' argument.

Will it attract new customers with this hybrid structure?
    Or will more of these new Android app users, at upgrade time, find more consider among the plethora of new full Android devices vs what Blackberry will be offering on the consumer side (not to mention what the carriers will be pushing). There are plenty of people here who don't use many apps but once people start using a lot of apps, they rarely go back. Just look at how the discussion topics have changed on the Crackberry forums - people looking to get their Android apps working better now dominate.
    tdoog and flyingsolid like this.
    02-01-14 12:57 PM
    Even if it gains traction, I still see no incentives for developers, it would be twice the work with the exact same returns.
    It is a less crowded market on bb10 so there is more room for the best quality native apps to stand out.
    This doesn't make sense to me, there is a lot of raving going around about the android run time being upgraded in 10.2.1. Additionally there is just as much raving going on about installing .APK's and android apps.

If you really wanted all this why not just buy android, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not discouraging anyone from doing this or being excited by the changes, but this is easily available on any android device without all the hassle.

Blackberry was a unique brand, now it seems that it will allow any exterior factor to influence it's design/operation.

It's just really an DroidBerry.

It's sort of hypocritical to question androids security and make fun of knox when really you now have a potential of introducing malicious software on your blackberry.

I seriously question the security of any blackberry device with side loaded or installed android apps or apks.

I'm not looking for a fight or to offend any one, but the hypocrisy is huge here.

Blackberry has branched off too many limbs that it can no longer sustain it's self as a whole,

There are still people using os 5

They have the os 7 die hard's who are canibilizing os 10 sales.

They have the os 10 diehards who don't care for android

They have the os 10/Android die hards - is this even a market or target audience?

They have no clear plan for the future.

What are they selling and who are they selling it to?

Also, why should developers be encouraged to make bb10 native apps anymore since they can just make 1 android app for both platforms. No wonder google agreed to this, blackberry is killing it's self.

Posted via CB10
    Trolling is a hobby now. You're good and long winded too. Perfecting trolling! Hope it works out for you.

Peace

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.1925
    bungaboy likes this.

Exactly, why should you develop a blackberry app when you can just make an android app.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 12:58 PM
    As far as I can't see you can't control permissions for android apps, I don't want games to have access to my location for example or connect to the internet at all.

tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 12:58 PM
    It is a less crowded market on bb10 so there is more room for the best quality native apps to stand out.
    If that was true there would be no need for side loading and developers would rush with their apps, but that's not happening is it?

02-01-14 01:00 PM
    As far as I can't see you can't control permissions for android apps, I don't want games to have access to my location for example or connect to the internet at all.

Exactly, the flash light app that needs permission to your call log, contacts, internet access, emails, system files, location?

It's a flash light app, it needs permissions for nothing.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 01:00 PM
    Sounds like that is one of those choice things you have to make, you get more apps but with a bit less control and security.
    02-01-14 01:01 PM
    Exactly, the flash light app that needs permission to your call log, contacts, internet access, emails, system files, location?

It's a flash light app, it needs permissions for nothing.

Posted via CB10
    Then don't download the flashlight app. There are also many apps in BB World that don't give a choice on permissions. Those would be the ported Android apps. If one doesn't feel comfortable with what an app is asking permission to use, don't download it. it's as simple as that.
    02-01-14 01:02 PM

There is no incentives for majority of the app developers to develop for BlackBerry 10 regardless of having Android support or not.

The app developers who develop for BlackBerry are a minority, even when all of them are encouraged, it won't change the grand scheme of the things for BlackBerry ecosystem.

02-01-14 01:04 PM
    Then don't download the flashlight app. There are also many apps in BB World that don't give a choice on permissions. Those would be the ported Android apps. If one doesn't feel comfortable with what an app is asking permission to use, don't download it. it's as simple as that.
    Or developers can be less malicious and realistic when It comes to app development and not take advantage of users knowing that they need apps. Korea just banned bloatware for this very reason. People have to buy phones, by your logic if they don't like bloatware they shouldn't buy phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 01:04 PM
186 12345 ...