Giving blackberry owners access to android apps is a way to stop further people from leaving the platform based on the 'no apps' argument.

Will it attract new customers with this hybrid structure?

Posted via CB10
    That remains to be seen, but the early results don't look good.
    02-01-14 12:01 PM
    I think that it is different for each blackberry customer. If you are a cult member purist do your thing man nobody is stopping you.

If you are buying many BB10 phones for a BES network in your company you might disable for runtime altogether.

If you are just a personal user who likes the flow of the OS and communication features download and use whatever you like android, blackberry or whatever floats your biscuits.

If you are a personal user like above but also concerned about security (me) consider using max mobile security to scan your apks. Stay up to date with the crackberry latest, strictly monitor app permissions, and go without greedy apps that want too much access too your phone even if you really like them.

A good example of two such apps would be Pandora and instagram. Now that blackberry world replacement versions are out where permissions can be adjusted I'm using those.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-01-14 12:02 PM
    When did you become such a Debbie downer.

Posted with my Z10
    xBURK likes this.
    02-01-14 12:03 PM
    That remains to be seen, but the early results don't look good.
    Because the consumer that has never used blackberry before and doesn't know how great it is without android will more than likely encounter the question 'why not just buy a s4 or s5'.

This whole android app nonsense is just to satisfy those of use that bought bb10 on the basis that apps were coming.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:05 PM
    I download any android app that I want that isn't on BlackBerry App store. I feel if I can then why not?
    The hub, gestures, the keyboard and pretty much everything I prefer on BlackBerry. but you do have a point.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:07 PM
    I download any android app that I want that isn't on BlackBerry App store. I feel if I can then why not?
    The hub, gestures, the keyboard and pretty much everything I prefer on BlackBerry. but you do have a point.

Posted via CB10
    You better believe I have a point. Its been nothing but smoke and mirrors since 2012, and it might just be so until the end (whatever that may be).

I love bb10, my q10+z10 are amazing without the need for android apps but blackberry will have a major problem convincing the first time consumer this is the case.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 12:09 PM
    Loading Android apps is like buy a Chevy and putting Ford Emblems all over it. and saying, " Now, my Ford has Horsepower."
    02-01-14 12:13 PM
    Loading Android apps is like buy a Chevy and putting Ford Emblems all over it. and saying, " Now, my Ford has Horsepower."
    I like Chevy.
    tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 12:16 PM
    [QUOTE=xela730;9944104]I like Chevy.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:17 PM
    Buy buy the BB10 if you have to load Droid to it to get what you want from Droid. Just buy a Droid. Apps want come to BB10 because they don't have to anymore. Thanks BB. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for FREE.
    Also that's a very good point aswell, why should developers be encouraged to make bb10 native apps when they can just make android apps. No wonder google agreed to this. Blackberry is killing it's self.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:19 PM
    Chevy Man here. I have the PONYS under the hood
    02-01-14 12:19 PM
    Listen, if the app dev's were adding their apps to BB World, this wouldn't be a discussion. With the love of apps these days, and the lack of the most popular, i.e. Netfilx, in the app store, people are quite reluctant to get on board and buy a BlackBerry. From what I've heard and read, people generally like the OS but without being able to do the things that they can do with Apple or Android via the apps available, they pass on the purchase. Now, if you are so inclined, you can get those apps that are "needed" and get the best in class communication OS. Sure, this might hinder the dev's from adding their apps to the native BlackBerry store but it's not like they've been coming in droves anyway.

In the end, the experience is no different, mostly, than using ported apps direct from BB World. It does not make the OS any different than before we had access to direct install.
    bungaboy, FredDale and ubizmo like this.
    02-01-14 12:27 PM
    OK, went on online, and looked for an Android device that worked like BB10. Still no luck..... I'm getting frustrated

Anyone have a link to an Android device that has features like hub, peek, flow, is gesture based but can still run BB10 apps like BlackBerry travel while also running android apps?

I am trying to take the advice/direction of the OP and just move on to Android, but for some reason I can not for the life of me find a device that meets all my check boxes. Pi$$es me off, I'm stuck running this crummy Z10 with all this BB10 OS goodness and having to put up with the fact I can now download virtually every app I can dream off.

That is such a deterrent, I may just dump this POS and go to a device that doesn't meet my needs so I'm not running this devils brew of an OS. Oh, and that way I won't be able to write long winded posts like this one effortlessly.

Come on BlackBerry.....wake the fugg up!

CB10'n it via da Z
    02-01-14 12:30 PM
    No I bought a BlackBerry and I'm still using one. I bought it because of BlackBerry Balance, and the overall security my company is comfortable with. The addition of Android apps are awesome. This let's me have the best of both worlds.

I BTW I prefer 'BlackDroid' to 'DroidBerry'. After it is, at its core, a BlackBerry first.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-01-14 12:34 PM
    Yet blackberry can't succeed and has terrible sales with just the first 6 components you mention, hypocrisy.

40 million s4's were sold without a hub.

Posted via CB10
    But you are asking me here, not the 40 million people.

So the answer is, no, I prefer my Z30.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-01-14 12:37 PM
    But you are asking me here, not the 40 million people.

So the answer is, no, I prefer my Z30.

But do you prefer your z30 or z30 with Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:39 PM
    I see zero incentives for developers to make native BB10 apps now, that's not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-01-14 12:42 PM
    Listen, if the app dev's were adding their apps to BB World, this wouldn't be a discussion. With the love of apps these days, and the lack of the most popular, i.e. Netfilx, in the app store, people are quite reluctant to get on board and buy a BlackBerry. From what I've heard and read, people generally like the OS but without being able to do the things that they can do with Apple or Android via the apps available, they pass on the purchase. Now, if you are so inclined, you can get those apps that are "needed" and get the best in class communication OS. Sure, this might hinder the dev's from adding their apps to the native BlackBerry store but it's not like they've been coming in droves anyway.

In the end, the experience is no different, mostly, than using ported apps direct from BB World. It does not make the OS any different than before we had access to direct install.
    Yea except it's almost like blackberry admitting 'yea blackberry is great and all but we need android apps otherwise you won't like it'.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    No I bought a BlackBerry and I'm still using one. I bought it because of BlackBerry Balance, and the overall security my company is comfortable with. The addition of Android apps are awesome. This let's me have the best of both worlds.

I BTW I prefer 'BlackDroid' to 'DroidBerry'. After it is, at its core, a BlackBerry first.

Posted via CB10
    I prefer calling a BlackBerry BlackBerry.

Android runtime is just one item on BlackBerry 10's long feature list, it doesn't deserve 50% of BlackBerry 's trademark.

I see zero incentives for developers to make native BB10 apps now, that's not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly, it's almost the beginning of the end of the actual blackberry platform.

Posted via CB10
    First i waited so long for the Android Apps. After the Update 10.2.1 I checked the TOP 100 Downloads of Android Downloads at Chip.de (German IT Magazine)
    And installed exactly ........none.

What I need is a phone to work with. Not a Game - console.
    A bit Facebook and BBM, CB10, eBay and that's it.

I think it's nearly the same as my experience with a PC. I think I'd never installed ANY Game...and never used the games coming together with Windows...

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you.. Totally!!
    02-01-14 12:43 PM
    Yea except it's almost like blackberry admitting 'yea blackberry is great and all but we need android apps otherwise you won't like it'.

Posted via CB10
    It's the truth, it takes wisdom and balls to tell the truth

02-01-14 12:45 PM
    But do you prefer your z30 or z30 with Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    I think you're missing the point. The people here like the phones, with or without the apps, as been shown over the last year. The app gap has never been a secret and we are still here. The fact that those apps are now available, is just an added bonus, not a decision to go to an Android device. Once again, the OS is no different than it was a week ago (of course aside from all the added functionality and features they added in the latest update. )
    02-01-14 12:45 PM
    Why can't we load Apple Apps, That is who Droid has copied
    02-01-14 12:46 PM
186 1234 ...