If ideas like this were as simple as they seem everyone would be a CEO.
    Sairos likes this.
    06-25-16 12:17 PM
    Producing more BB10 devices is a difficult proposition now. Between the lack of growth in user base and BlackBerry announcing an exclusively android focus for devices this year, there's not a lot of motivation right now for developers to focus on it. Realistically, while I care a lot about security features, I don't use a lot of apps; I pretty much only ever use email, social media, messaging, internet, maps, camera, news feeds. In that respect, BB10 is perfect for me, but a lack of consumer confidence in terms of a long-term commitment to the OS and periodic news stories about developers pulling away form the platform are likely preventing a significant percentage of the public from making that same realization
    Sairos likes this.
    06-26-16 10:57 AM
    Thanks for the insights! Why not release new BB10 phones w/ the Passport drivers, sense they are already paid for -- aside from the fact that more BB10 phones may still not sell well -- the PP is best performing BB10 phone to date, and they could still reduce the costs of these drivers by spreading them out between other phone models as you mentioned. I'd think that a refreshed Q10, Classic, Z10 or Z30 would be awesome with the PPs speed!
    While using PP components would definitely reduce cost (I understand that using a non-square screen would require some different graphics components which might still cost some amount for drivers), the driver cost is just one piece of the puzzle. Some other issues are:

• The PP components are already 2+ years old and aging quickly. How many people want to buy a phone with such old components?
    • Since the PP was released, BB has licensed GMS and Google Play from Google, which comes with restrictions that would require BB to remove the Android Runtime from any new BB10 phones.
    • Development of native BB10 apps has effectively ended, with a number of major companies announcing EOL for their support of BB10.
    • Making new BB10 phones would reset the clock on BB's support obligations for BB10, committing them to supporting it for at least 18 months beyond their current plans. It's extremely unlikely that the sales of BB10 phones could pay that cost.
    • Releasing BB10 phones would undermine their Android initiatives, which they need to be successful.
    • There is no carrier desire or goodwill for BB10, and without carrier support, sales would be abysmal.

BB10 hasn't been in active development for 18 months already, and nearly all the staff has been laid off. BB10 is, at best, a zombie OS: dead, but doesn't quite realize it yet.
    ZayDub likes this.
    06-26-16 01:31 PM
    BB10 hasn't been in active development for 18 months already, and nearly all the staff has been laid off. BB10 is, at best, a zombie OS: dead, but doesn't quite realize it yet.
    Ouch, This one hurts a little..
    ZayDub likes this.
    06-26-16 01:35 PM
    I don't think that this would work. Just take the inventory of BB10 devices they have now and offer them at a deep discount before too many people migrate away from the OS and the OS becomes any more unusable to the masses.
    02-16-17 12:17 PM
    I don't think that this would work. Just take the inventory of BB10 devices they have now and offer them at a deep discount before too many people migrate away from the OS and the OS becomes any more unusable to the masses.
    Think they have reached a point where they have already written off most the cost in the BB10 inventory they have.... but then don't want to total close the door on BB10, at least not until the Mercury is available as an enterprise option. Thus no further discounting of the few Passports and LEAP that they have.

I know in the past some Carrier's that deal with enterprise... have actually gone up on pricing, on an item has been EOL. Verizon charged a premium for the Z30... right up till a year after BlackBerry stopped selling it. Roger still has the long out of production Classic, but it cost more than a PRIV.

At this point, nothing is going to change BB10's decline in usefulness. but that doesn't mean that some enterprise customers didn't stock up enough....
    02-16-17 02:48 PM
    Think they have reached a point where they have already written off most the cost in the BB10 inventory they have.... but then don't want to total close the door on BB10, at least not until the Mercury is available as an enterprise option. Thus no further discounting of the few Passports and LEAP that they have.

I know in the past some Carrier's that deal with enterprise... have actually gone up on pricing, on an item has been EOL. Verizon charged a premium for the Z30... right up till a year after BlackBerry stopped selling it. Roger still has the long out of production Classic, but it cost more than a PRIV.

At this point, nothing is going to change BB10's decline in usefulness. but that doesn't mean that some enterprise customers didn't stock up enough....
    When the employee's BlackBerry phone bites the dust they will not be replaced by another BB10 unit . I really do not think there was much stocking up going on. This is based on anecdotal evidence.
    02-18-17 06:59 PM
32 12