Not to put a damper on you, but that pile of cash is gone in 3-4 quarters assuming losses don't increase.
    Rim is officially on deathwatch and is being called the #4 company out of 10 that will be going away in 2013:

24/7 Wall St. Ten Brands That Will Disappear In 2013 - 24/7 Wall St.
    Just for your info: Apple has been in those lists for 5 years in a row (1999-2004)...
    And they don't seem that dead to me neither.
    07-03-12 07:04 AM
    Not to put a damper on you, but that pile of cash is gone in 3-4 quarters assuming losses don't increase.
    Rim is officially on deathwatch and is being called the #4 company out of 10 that will be going away in 2013:

24/7 Wall St. Ten Brands That Will Disappear In 2013 - 24/7 Wall St.
    why isnt nokia on this list?
    07-03-12 08:23 AM
    Since moving to BB, and getting a 9700, I have found it to be a brilliant communication tool, meeting all my needs. It's battery lasts longer than anything out there, it's compact, reliable, and handles everything including my email. Add a PB and my enjoyment is multiplied. However I was looking forward to the release of BB10 this year and this would have coincided with my current contract coming to an end,but this is now not to be. So I thought I would look to bridge the gap with something new, my options were iphone (both wife and son have one), but I feel it's just a box of gimmicks if you are into games and Facebook it's a good choice, but not for me. Android from looking at the reviews the batteries don't last a full day, for me reliability is an issue, and the size of some of them is dangerous especially if it is windy. Then I looked at the the nokia lumia 800, I thought this is it, but the reviews as so varied, and the battery life is questionable. So I am in a quandary what to do?

1. Make the jump and try a different platform, but which one.
    2. Keep my 9700 and wait for BB 10
    3. Get an upgrade to a newer BB and wait for BB10
    I bet there are many with a similar dilemma.
    There's no reason not to try something else (if that's what you want to do). Having said that I'm assuming your 9700 is still running os 5. There's 2 great oses released since. BBos 7 is awsome. With the right carrier you have 7.1 with wifi hotspot and nfc. The 9900 being a great device with nfc. There's still BB options for you if you are wanting a new BB. The 9860 it a great device also. I love mine. Its all up to what you want to do.
    07-03-12 08:53 AM
    I have bought every single BB7 device I could get my hands on...9930, 9900, 9810, 9860, 9370. If I could get my hands on a 9790 and a white 9900 I would (the white 9900 is my next project, will have to buy from Rogers) so my preference for the platform is clear. I love it as the premier communication and productivity tool that I find it to be.

But others want more. Ignoring that has put RIM in the precarious position it's in. If it is to survive, it will have to make those options available too.
    I agree w/ you and feel the same way all the way up to the precarious position Rim is in. I see it alittle different. I see it like this. Back with the 8310 Rim made sure that little device had everything needed at the time. Mms, keyboard, custom ringtones and profiles on and on. You know. Apple was concerned with the touch UI. The ip2-ip3gs wasn't much more than a mobile phone/ipod. Where the phone sucked it made up for in apps. Rim has spent the time between 06- and now bringing the more to people. Its hard to give all this stuff over night and stay scure. I don't think Rim is in a bad position. Apple hasn't released a new ipone in as much time as Rim either. There's not a release date set for it either.
    07-03-12 09:11 AM
    That little phone was the first BB I ever bought, after using several work issued ones. It made me forget all about the Motorola Q and the HTC Tilt.
    LOVED that little phone.
    07-03-12 09:17 AM
    That little phone was the first BB I ever bought, after using several work issued ones. It made me forget all about the Motorola Q and the HTC Tilt.
    LOVED that little phone.
    My little secret is..... I was using the motorola razr @ the time. Txting had just gotten so big with everybody I talked to. All they would do is txt. GOD I was so dang fustrating for me hitting the number pad numerious times and T-9 just doesn't speak redneck. Lol. I had seen blackberry in peoples hand but never in the store. I'm not sure if they where avaible to the public prior. I went into AT&T one day and saw little grey dude and those big keys smiles up at me and I knew that was my answer. Its been a great relationship ever since. I still have mine. It was put in the draw just to b replaced by a 8520 just because it had wifi. Which was put in the same draw replace by a 9700 because of 3g. Which went into the same draw because of the 9800. It has since been removed and being used by my neice. I replaced my 9800 with my 9860 and my 9800 was in that draw until my buddy needed a phone and talked me out of my 9800. I have no plans on using anything else. I'm not stubburn or anything. My daughter, wife and friends and other family members use the other name brands. I pay with them. I use what I like. I don't think BBs are the best or the worst. They are just what I like. Tbph I don't care about Rim. The 9860 can be the last phone I ever buy that would suit me. Naw I'm lieing the *geek*in me would long for a new toy and drive me mad until I found something to pasify him with. Lol
    07-03-12 09:36 AM
    I bought a 2nd Bold 9930 in April. I like the quality, design, and the way this device functions.
    07-03-12 10:57 AM
    I have a 9930 for work that I'm quite happy with, and have no complaints over. But, my personal 9650 now is pretty much a frustrating device to use. Sluggish, and lacks the benefits of OS7 to improve it, and if I used it more I would imagine glitchy, but I really have nothing loaded on it.

I want a BB10 device to replace my personal phone that I'm growing more and more frustrated with. Its about that simple, no considerations for other phone makers, been there done that....
    07-03-12 11:40 AM
    YAY! I'm getting buying another 9780 from craigslist tomorrow. Its a great phone, so easy to use, customizable, and keeps me in contact with friends and family all over the world! Getting loads of birthday wishes today with my BlackBerry... BBM, text, email, FaceBook, and phone calls!!!

Edit: And CrackBerry too!
    Last edited by TequilaAddict; 07-03-12 at 01:35 PM.
    07-03-12 12:09 PM
    YAY! I'm getting buying another 9780 from craigslist tomorrow. Its a great phone, so easy to use, customizable, and keeps me in contact with friends and family all over the world! Getting loads of birthday wishes today with my BlackBerry... BBM, text, email, FaceBook, and phone calls!!!
    Happy cake day!!
    07-03-12 12:13 PM
    Since I've use a blackberry since 2007 I've become familiar with the keyboard and os and found myself so familiar with it I am most productive in multitasking on this phone.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    07-03-12 01:06 PM
    I am one of the (seemingly) relative few who is still concerned with security. I use my BB for work, and therefore have a large number of sensitive files stored on my phone. BlackBerry's security makes me feel confident in keeping those files on a mobile device that can be lost or stolen. I realise that there are other options out there, such as cloud storage, but I personally prefer having the files stored locally on a secure device.

That security, along with the physical keyboard and the fact that BlackBerrys are still rock solid communication devices (never dropped a call, or missed an email or text) makes BlackBerry my device of choice. There may be other devices out there that offer other features that other people value more, but for me, my 9810 is outstanding and I am perfectly happy with it.
    07-03-12 01:13 PM
    It's easy to overlook what RIM hasn't done well (i.e. touchscreen phones) and lose sight of what they have done well over so many years.

I still love my BB since the 8100 to my 9900 because of its keyboard and the ease of an integrated inbox to get email and texts done with its utilitarian design. Plus, the white 9900 looks really nice.

I mean really nice.
    07-03-12 01:50 PM
    I first encountered BB at my current work 5 years ago with the 7250i on Nextel which we mainly used for Direct-Connect with our sites and email for us in management. As we upgraded the phones after 2 years, we moved away from Nextel and went to US Cellular since we have them as a corporate account, so I moved my personal phone from a Razr to a 8800, since the VP who handled our contracts decided to move the management phones to Windows 6.5 HTC Snaps, since in his words "Those f**king BlackBerries take forever to setup and are a pain in the arse. We aren't using them anymore."

Since that time I've progressed from the 7250i for work to the 8800, the 8330, 9630, 9550, 9650, 9800 and now sitting at a 9810 with a 32GB PlayBook. All this time I couldn't be happier, since now the apps and games I enjoyed fiddling around with on friends' devices are now here, or are coming (or have their own 3rd party variants). But honestly, for all the apps and games I have loaded on both BB and PB, I still use it the most for document reading from work emails, which has inevitably become pdf format which PDFtoGo has handled just as I need (reading purposes, not editing) for several years now, and emailing/IM'ing/texting. And my current work phone sits at a Samsung Mesmerize, which I only use for phone calls.

Yes, I like many others have seen my BBM list dwindle down to the point that I don't feel the need to keep it installed anymore...but the 5 friends who are still on stay on because it works for them like it works for me. I've seen my friend's little sister destroy his 8330's keyboard to the point that it dry-rotted completely out, but she upgraded to a 8530 and now sits at a 9900 and loves it - and his brother sits at a 8530 too and won't upgrade because he doesn't feel the need to either. Oh, and both brothers have no issues setting up their military emails on the BB, while their iPhone/Android comrades struggle to figure out how to certify DOD email status for their device... I've seen BB's dropped over and over on tile, wood, concrete floors and they still work like a charm!

So am I a little down about the delay announcement, yes. Do I know, from the experience with the PB so far, that BB10 will be fantastic when it comes out? Absolutely, no doubt.

In the meantime will I continue to abuse and enjoy using my BB while respecting the other platforms (even for all the heckling I take day in and day out)? Yes. Will I have patience to wait for BB10 to drop for both my PB and the new BB hardware? As long as it takes...
    07-03-12 02:44 PM
    I know it was a rhetorical question, but... The reasons I bought my last 3 BB's (in order of importance):

Security - very important at work and play

Durability - i work hard and I play hard. My tools have to be able to survive or they're worthless to me.

Reliability - surviving is pointless unless they can can deliver what I need every time without fail.

Battery life - if it has to be plugged in all the time, it isn't portable, and since I don't often work at a desk then battery life is crucial.
    gord888 likes this.
    07-03-12 08:12 PM
    I know it was a rhetorical question, but... The reasons I bought my last 3 BB's (in order of importance):

Security - very important at work and play

Durability - i work hard and I play hard. My tools have to be able to survive or they're worthless to me.

Reliability - surviving is pointless unless they can can deliver what I need every time without fail.

Battery life - if it has to be plugged in all the time, it isn't portable, and since I don't often work at a desk then battery life is crucial.
    ^^ what he said.
    07-03-12 08:15 PM

Edit: And CrackBerry too!
    Happy birthday, hope you have a great day and get to enjoy some, we'll, tequila.
    Chinookman likes this.
    07-03-12 08:19 PM
    I think people just want to see RIM compete and rise above the dark clouds against the other mobile companies. If you are to ask me, yes the current BB devices are good and the upcoming ones look really promising. However, comparing the current BB devices against the others like Iphone, samsung, windows phones, htc etc. as capable as BBs are, the general mass just don't see it that way. They like to hear fancy dual cores and quad cores and bigger screens...all that fancy marketing ploys to actually make them feel like they have the right device. Of course, I'm not talking about everyone but I kind of understand the hate. Even last year, I was expecting for RIM to put out devices that could go against the other devices...dual cores etc. but yeah whatever to each his own.
    You're correct on many levels. We do want to see RIMM succeed. The market forces (the invisible hand) dictates and always will. It's the way business works, right? sure.. The guy making horse harnesses for a living and did not take notice of the Model T's rolling of the assembly line shortly thereafter was doing what for a living? Yeah exactly.

And the marketing forces of the other companies were more successful then this one. That has nothing to do with hate. I bought my first Pearl when it came out because I saw the value in using the GPS map feature when on the road. Then I was told the next one would be better bought a Bold, fail again then bought the Torch when it came out for the same reason. I just don't do games and social media it's not me.

Like others very frustrated. So now what to do? I hate Google period. Until the BB10 is out rather then bitc*ing I bought an Atrix 2. (yep I know but it's cheap no contract and not stuck for 2 years due to upgrade. Do not need latest and greatest.) It will have to do until one of two things happen.

The BB10 performs better then my PB64 and the last phones used or Fire Fox OS will jump out there and it will also meet my daily needs. I am now looking at the BB10 for my emails and if the browser and the few apps I actually use fair well then I'm all in. If not then I'll look at the FF OS as an alternative to the Droid platform.

RIMM as it has been rehashed over and over again, did themselves in and the market is reflecting that with it's share value. Thor stumbling and losing cred right out the chute hurts big time. I will never get the blind loyalty to a 'thing'. Wife, family and creator but not things, that is all they are.

and as you put it, whatever work to each their own ....yep ...
    07-03-12 11:03 PM
    So I am in a quandary what to do?

1. Make the jump and try a different platform, but which one. Look at what is available on eBay like I did and make a choice to hold you through the release of BB10
    2. Keep my 9700 and wait for BB 10-if it still fulfills you present need the cheapest route to take...
    3. Get an upgrade to a newer BB and wait for BB10 No don't get locked in if you can help it.
    I bet there are many with a similar dilemma.:---Oh yeah and it's not an easy decision since the plus of a BB is greater then the plus of the other phones out there for us BB users (
    --hope it works out for you..
    07-03-12 11:10 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD