I've spent the last few weeks thinking about RIM and its future. Judging by the posts here I am not the only one. Try as I might I just cant see how RIM is going to return to relevance (let alone dominance) in North America. I understand that the new OS will give them a solid platform but thats not going to solve RIM's issues. They need to pull off an iPhone-like revolution and I just dont see how.

Maybe they can strike a deal with the auto manufacturers to have BB integration? I think people would love to have deep SIRI like integration with their car. Things like voice recognition, media integration, GPS, etc.

The other idea was some sort of home integration solution ( I know there are 3rd party solutions out there) but not sure how feasible it would be.

Otherwise I really dont see how RIM can bounce back in a jungle with 2 600 pound gorillas. Does anyone have any thoughts of what a RIM recovery would look like?
    01-01-12 03:00 PM
    They dont have to be number 1, in fact I doubt they ever will be again. They just need to put out a solid product in OS 10. That should stop the slide and gain back some customers.
    01-01-12 03:03 PM
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

Seriously though, if RIM can get a solid OS 10 product line up I can see them being a strong second or third place contender in the market place.
    01-01-12 03:37 PM
    they need not be no 1, if they can just protect their enterprise market..they are well off..if they continue to move 14-15 million units/quarter they will be still vastly profitable. currently they are trading at 2004 levels but their revenues are at 2009-2010 levels and that is because of lack of confidence and if RIM can show the market that they are still viable with BB 10 then they are well off.

Also I think RIM may surprise us with paid services for other OSes (at-least for the enterprise needs), I mean they might have some kind of deep integration with IOS, Android and offering their services like BES, Blackberry Fusion etc.
    01-01-12 04:20 PM
    i think RIM has finally figured it out. they know what the customers want, aka CBers, and have take'n some solid advice from people with insight, again CBers. They have started off with this advertising plan and put into place right away. doing this shows that they are going to start staying true to their word, FINALLY, and are aware they cant put anything off any longer.
    01-01-12 04:54 PM
    i think RIM has finally figured it out. they know what the customers want, aka CBers, and have take'n some solid advice from people with insight, again CBers. They have started off with this advertising plan and put into place right away. doing this shows that they are going to start staying true to their word, FINALLY, and are aware they cant put anything off any longer.
    You're reading way too much into the advertising.

It won't make much difference, as the problem isn't the lack of advertising - it's the lack of a product that can compete with Apple and Android devices. They should divert that advertising money towards resources to get BB10 out as fast as possible and running beautifully, and on paying developers to create a buttload of apps for the BB10 devices.
    01-01-12 05:37 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-word-677240/

Enough light for ya.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 01-01-12 at 09:27 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-01-12 09:20 PM
    I think they can be a solid fourth. After Android, iOS, and Windows Mobile. They should concentrate on Enterprise, and license their BES/BIS to the others. As they grow, so will RIM.
    01-01-12 09:28 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. It seems that most of you just want RIM to survive (maintain). I guess if they can stop the decline, they can regroup and refocus. Still, if anyone has any further thoughts how RIM can innovate I would love to hear them. Thanks for your input everyone.
    01-01-12 10:02 PM
    I would love for them to be number 1.
    That will probably never happen as Android is growing
    So fast with so many companies making Android phones.
    As long as they maintain at number 3 I'm happy.
    Don't even think WP7 is a competition anymore for 2012
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-01-12 10:35 PM
    A deal with the auto makers was in the works with a good number of them a long time ago. Its called QNX.
    https://www.qnx.com/products/qnxcar/index.html
    Last edited by Dapper37; 01-01-12 at 10:52 PM.
    01-01-12 10:35 PM
    I'm sure for every other person, the light is at a different place at the end of this year! for me its blackberry!
    01-01-12 11:52 PM
    People do have to realize it takes allot, and I mean allot of time to develop software. It can't happen within a year, a month, a week, or a day. If it's going to arrive late, so be it. Current and older selling devices will still be repurchased by people who damage or loose their devices by theft or being left somewhere, therefore more revenue. It happens. My bro lost 6 phones within 2 years, therefore more revenue for said company. I doubt anybody factors it in. RIM's marketing is going fine and I see allot of commercials.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-02-12 12:40 AM
    Alot of people are liking their playbooks at $200. That new pricepoint is making a huge difference and causing people to take notice. If they can continue to sell them at this price they may be able to gain a user base big enough to get the attention of developers and begin to change their public perception in the US. With fusion coming online, companies will be ready to hook people's private playbooks onto the BES. With a strong advertising kick, OS 2.0 release, and continued playbook discounts, US companies may stop thinking RIM is in trouble and may start buying more devices. With a greatly enhanced blackberry balance program, and a kick fun device like the playbook, those who choose to bring their playbooks to work (or are given one from work) will be having way more fun with their private use of it and companies will have way more security and control over the corporate side; no more compromises. If the keyboard and touchscreen on your phone could suddenly be used as a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for your playbook (as is in the works for 2.0) then your keyboard phone may suddenly become much more relevant. In this way they may be able to protect their current US subscriber base setting the stage for US growth again once BB10 drops.

I think a strong advertising campaign is needed to send a message that RIM isn't going anywhere. I think that they thought word of mouth advertising would be stronger for the OS7 devices but they underestimated the extreme negative sediment in the US. The ads will support current users in their decision to use blackberry and send a message to corporations that they are a legitimate platform choice. They will need to follow up with a strong OS2.0 and then BB10 launch to keep the momentum going.
    purijagmohan and Dapper37 like this.
    01-02-12 12:45 AM
    RIM can be number one again
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-02-12 07:59 AM
    1) Unlike some of the other high profile mobile firms that went under, RIM is still reasonably profitable. This buys them time.
    2) RIM has very good engineers.
    3) RIM lacked good design, or a decent OS, but recent acquisitions seem to have addressed this issue. All they are missing is someone with platform making experience. I had once suggested poaching Rubenstein from HP and still think this would be a good idea.

Now for the negatives.
    1) Unlike what some here would like to believe, RIM will not survive as a distant #3 especially if it is completely uncompetitive in the US market (it s the largest available market. The Chinese market is closed off to foreigners, although Apple seems to a,axing,y be growing there also).
    2) The 2 guys at the top have constantly misdiagnosed the situation. I have no faith they will now get it right.
    3) The playbook s dead weight and an anchor around their neck.

Fix points 2 and 3, and RIM has enough strengths that they could compete.
    01-02-12 10:34 AM
    1) Unlike some of the other high profile mobile firms that went under, RIM is still reasonably profitable. This buys them time.
    2) RIM has very good engineers.
    3) RIM lacked good design, or a decent OS, but recent acquisitions seem to have addressed this issue. All they are missing is someone with platform making experience. I had once suggested poaching Rubenstein from HP and still think this would be a good idea.

Now for the negatives.
    1) Unlike what some here would like to believe, RIM will not survive as a distant #3 especially if it is completely uncompetitive in the US market (it s the largest available market. The Chinese market is closed off to foreigners, although Apple seems to a,axing,y be growing there also).
    2) The 2 guys at the top have constantly misdiagnosed the situation. I have no faith they will now get it right.
    3) The playbook s dead weight and an anchor around their neck.

Fix points 2 and 3, and RIM has enough strengths that they could compete.

Who is this Rubenstein with HP, why would he/she be good for RIM? ...HP has there own issues about which direction to take

The playbook is not dead weight...it's currently the best tablet about to get better with OS2
    01-02-12 02:14 PM
    The playbook is not dead weight...it's currently the best tablet about to get better with OS2
    When you have to knock $485 million dollars off a product because it isn't selling, an amount 1/3rd larger than your last quarter's net income, that product is financial dead weight whether it's the "best tablet" or not.
    01-02-12 02:19 PM
    Guys, thank you all for your input on this thread. But I want to get this thread back on track. I don't want to get into an argument whether RIM will survive (there are plenty of other threads for that). I want to focus on how RIM could regain its leadership status. Either #1 or #2. IPhone did it by integrating web, music etc into a phone. What does RIM need to do start the second revolution?
    01-02-12 02:44 PM
    When you have to knock $485 million dollars off a product because it isn't selling, an amount 1/3rd larger than your last quarter's net income, that product is financial dead weight whether it's the "best tablet" or not.
    poor at economics? The net income reflected the $485 million write-down RIM took on Playbook inventory otherwise it had adjusted net income of $667 million
    01-02-12 06:09 PM
    Guys, thank you all for your input on this thread. But I want to get this thread back on track. I don't want to get into an argument whether RIM will survive (there are plenty of other threads for that). I want to focus on how RIM could regain its leadership status. Either #1 or #2. IPhone did it by integrating web, music etc into a phone. What does RIM need to do start the second revolution?
    here are few

1) roll out BB 10 without any major show stoppers as incase of the playbook
    2) plead, pay..or do whatever it takes for the 80% of of the top 100 most used applications on other platforms like dropbox, skype, netflix, major games etc to be available at launch. I could see RIM is already paying major developers to accomplish this.
    3) market the phones like crazy
    4) think about ways to leverage their service offerings for other platforms, although this might not happen until BB 10 gains full steam
    5) keep doing whatever it is doing to grow in the international markets, after all this is what would pay for their transition costs.
    01-02-12 06:19 PM
    With consumers it's all about the WOW factor. The new phones need outstanding features and cool functions - your phone could be in the magazine Popular Science.

In my experience, the playbook OS feels modern and very stable and I think this is a great base for BB10 phones.

RIM definitely needs to 'do its own thing'. It won't be #1 if it copies iPhone or android.

Marketing is also an important part of the equation. It's all important if the goal is to be number 1 (or 2)
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-02-12 at 08:18 PM.
    01-02-12 07:41 PM
    poor at economics? The net income reflected the $485 million write-down RIM took on Playbook inventory otherwise it had adjusted net income of $667 million
    I think you mean "poor at accounting," not "economics," but you're off in either case. Last quarter's net income was $265 million, meaning the $485 million hit was actually more than 50% greater than the remaining net.

http://www.rim.com/investors/documen...nformation.pdf

"The Company's GAAP net income for the quarter was $265 million"
    Last edited by Economist101; 01-02-12 at 07:53 PM.
    01-02-12 07:45 PM
    RIM does not need to reinvent the mobile phone, they only need to be on par with whats out there while staying true to the BB DNA. It would be a mistake to simply mimick the iPhone/Android platform. RIM gets that and is finally on the right track.

RIM has an image problem and perception is reality so they need to keep the marketing steady and keep their eye on the ball.
    01-02-12 09:18 PM
    You're reading way too much into the advertising.

It won't make much difference, as the problem isn't the lack of advertising - it's the lack of a product that can compete with Apple and Android devices. They should divert that advertising money towards resources to get BB10 out as fast as possible and running beautifully, and on paying developers to create a buttload of apps for the BB10 devices.
    and what make you thing beside the advertisement investing they have not put some money to bring developers??? what would be the point on promoting their product?.. im totaly agree with him, im sure they finally get what people want, late but they did and they are doing what they sopoused to do a long time ago, and hopefully will even improve what others have
    01-02-12 09:41 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD