There's a difference between:
    "BB10 is by far tthe best OS out there and iPhone is ***** and Android is *****
    And
    "I find BB10 works best for me because....."
    If I didn't think Iphones were ****, I would be using one of those.

I don't have to say "BlackBerry 10 works best for me" on a BlackBerry fan site, just to avoid offending iPhone fans on here. If you are not into BlackBerry, that's fine, but you cannot hang out here asking people to be "objective" and neutral on a BlackBerry fan site.

People are here because they like BlackBerry 10; and they believe BlackBerry 10 is the best mobile OS.

I would not go to an Apple fansite; and tell them not to say "IOS is the best mobile OS" for the sake of being "objective". I already know they think IOS is the best mobile OS since it is a Apple fansite.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by skstrials; 11-15-15 at 11:56 AM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-15-15 11:44 AM

I don't have to say "BlackBerry 10 works best for me" on a BlackBerry fan site, just to avoid offending iPhone fans on here. If you are not into BlackBerry, that's fine, but you cannot hang out here asking people to be "objective" and neutral on a BlackBerry fan site.

People are here because they like BlackBerry 10; and they believe BlackBerry 10 is the best mobile OS.

I would not go to an Apple fansite; and tell them not to say "IOS is the best mobile OS" for the sake of being "objective". I already know they think IOS is the best mobile OS since it is a Apple fansite.

Posted via CB10
    This inferes that people only use one OS. That is not the case in most instances. Many people on here have the ability to be objective and talk about smartphones without having some allegiance to one or the other. Maybe not you and that's OK. As long as people are following the rules layed out by Crackberry , I see no reason to not to have open discussions.
    Branta and Ronindan like this.
    11-15-15 12:03 PM
    This inferes that people only use one OS. That is not the case in most instances. Many people on here have the ability to be objective and talk about smartphones without having some allegiance to one or the other. Maybe not you and that's OK. As long as people are following the rules layed out by Crackberry , I see no reason to not to have open discussions.
    Of course people might use multiple phones, but this is Crackberry. People are going to be biased towards BlackBerry. If people on here were not passionate about BlackBerry phones, they would just be using their phones without actively participating in community discussions.

By the way, there are simple tech forums that are not fansites too,where objectivity and neutrality are more reasonable, but this is a BlackBerry fan site.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 12:17 PM
    Of course people might use multiple phones, but this is Crackberry. People are going to be biased towards BlackBerry. If people on here were not passionate about BlackBerry phones, they would just be using their phones without actively participating in community discussions.

By the way, there are simple tech forums that are not fansites too, but this is a BlackBerry fan site.

Posted via CB10
    Then there must be a rule somewhere stating you must be a Blackberry fan to post here otherwise you must go to a simple tech forum? Just enjoy your Blackberry and allow others to have open dialogue, which doesn't hurt anyone.

Now enjoy your day and your Blackberry!
    11-15-15 12:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Looks like us in CrackBerry Land need to obey a different set of rules.

But hey, I thought we are the minority, ... ;-P

�   AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P   �
    11-15-15 04:18 PM
    It baffles me reading RH, Troy and others that prefer Android or iOS and their responses in this thread and SO many others here on CrackBerry. Why try and convince those of us that prefer BlackBerry 10 over other operating systems otherwise? Do you think most of us that appreciate and continue to use BlackBerry 10 do not have experience with other OS's? (kicker we have and or do)
    When have I ever told anyone that they should use an Android or iOS phone instead of BB10? Or that one experience was better than the other?

Yes, I do correct a lot of people who make (often huge) false assumptions about other OS's capabilities, and I answer questions about other OSs, and I've repeatedly corrected people why there is no business case for continuing BB10, but I don't think I've ever been dumb enough to believe that I could tell a person what they "should" prefer. I may disagree with their reasoning, but you can't argue with someone's personal opinion and preference - it is their own, and doesn't have to apply to anyone else.

There's a huge difference between what makes sense from a financial/business point of view and a personal preference, and it seems many here don't understand (or, maybe, respect) the distinction. I know the difference and I avoid getting involved in discussions of other people's personal preferences, but I'm not at all shy when it comes to talking about the business perspective.
    11-15-15 05:12 PM
    I think the main concern those of us sticking with BB10 for now have to worry about are app updates. The OS can continue on fine for a few years but we have all noticed how some native apps are being ignored. That is going to shorten the OS's lifespan considerably. Hopefully BlackBerry has some maintenence in mind for apps too.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 06:28 PM
    I seem to recall there was an exhaustive comparison of OS by an Indian tech magazine and BB10 was rated No.1 - correct me if I am wrong...

 Passport SE 
    http://www.digit.in/mobile-phones/th...-os-23575.html

You are correct, this was it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by brookie229; 11-15-15 at 07:09 PM.
    11-15-15 06:55 PM
    It appears that this transition to Android was Chen's nefarious plan from the beginning of his tenure. I could never understand why BB10 devices were never really advertised or hyped. I never understood why the unique efficiencies of Peek and Flow were never touted. I hate to view the man as a saboteur, but now it makes sense. It's almost as if he set out to ensure that BB10 would fail, so as to make the adoption of Android seem like a necessity.

And on a slightly different point, why in the world do so many former BB10 users seem so excited about using the Priv--an Android phone? Is it merely because it bears a BlackBerry label, for by all accounts, the user experience is clearly Android and not BlackBerry? If they were so in need of Google Play Services apps, why weren't they using Android phones all along?

And if BlackBerry makes only Android phones, in the future, to me, that company would no longer be "BlackBerry," so I wouldn't care whether the company sank or swam, at that point. Why should I care whether BlackBerry is successful at selling Android phones? That would be of absolutely no benefit to me. So, in that case, I'd extend to BlackBerry exactly the same degree of loyalty I've seen them extend in various situations.

Timothius01
    Well said. If BB10 is killed, then screw BlackBerry. I'll begrudgingly move to iOS.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc likes this.
    11-15-15 10:17 PM
    To be fair to Chen, he did not plan to go Android from the beginning of his tenure unless all reports have been BS. That said it is fair to say that he ramped down BB10 to a skeleton crew to save money and put the focus on software for enterprise device management.

 Passport SE 
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-15-15 10:59 PM
    http://www.digit.in/mobile-phones/th...-os-23575.html

You are correct, this was it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I couldn't remember all the details...

 Passport SE 
    11-15-15 11:00 PM
    Hopefully BlackBerry has some maintenence in mind for apps too.
    I'm not sure what BB can do to maintain Apps. Most of them are written by 3rd parties, who'd presumably need some incentive to continue support.

And I don't believe they have the resources, or will, to maintain Apps anyway given what's happening to BB10's Facebook App, which is one of the few Apps that BB did write.
    11-16-15 02:18 AM
    How hard is it to maintain BlackBerry 10 and offer some touch screen phones once in a while

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 07:01 AM
    I'm not sure what BB can do to maintain Apps. Most of them are written by 3rd parties, who'd presumably need some incentive to continue support.

And I don't believe they have the resources, or will, to maintain Apps anyway given what's happening to BB10's Facebook App, which is one of the few Apps that BB did write.
    It's appalling that BlackBerry can't even be bothered to maintain the apps they wrote themselves.

Posted via CB10
    chance1180 and Sparksx like this.
    11-16-15 07:15 AM
    It's appalling that BlackBerry can't even be bothered to maintain the apps they wrote themselves.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I agree with you.

And if BB can't be bothered, I doubt any other App developer will either. BB10 failed to gain traction, that's not a dig, just a statement of fact. There aren't enough potential Apps sales to justify any Dev putting in the effort - they wouldn't recover their costs - and that evidently applies to BB too.
    chance1180 likes this.
    11-16-15 07:32 AM
    It baffles me reading RH, Troy and others that prefer Android or iOS and their responses in this thread and SO many others here on CrackBerry. Why try and convince those of us that prefer BlackBerry 10 over other operating systems otherwise? Do you think most of us that appreciate and continue to use BlackBerry 10 do not have experience with other OS's? (kicker we have and or do) If you like or prefer another OS's for your mobile needs then why not support or comment related to those OS's? The negative responses and posts related to BlackBerry 10 are tiresome, unproductive and old. We all know the thoughts on BlackBerry 10 market share, the demise of BlackBerry 10 and the market share of inferior mobile OS's.

Z30 wickedness
    If I've offended anyone on this site I apologize. I also have never claimed Android to be the the best platform, just want to be engaged in discussion. Most of my comments are also from an investor's point of view and the only time I don't hold back is when I criticize inept management. And thanks as well for reminding me where I am as I comment on other sites I forget CrackBerry has a hard core fan base. So Peace.
    11-16-15 09:50 AM
    How hard is it to maintain BlackBerry 10 and offer some touch screen phones once in a while
    Not hard... if you have billions of dollars you are willing to invest. BB probably spends $100M or more a year on R&D for BB10 alone, and that's just a small part of the overall cost of BB10.
    11-16-15 10:06 AM
    Will BlackBerry Blend disappear with BlackBerry 10 OS?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 10:31 AM
    BB10 is still years ahead of Android. Android requires a rewrite from the bottom up, it's just a mess. Maybe a decade ahead of Android, now that everyone is so entrenched in this OS. When are we going to see another properly design operating system? Not for a long time, I'm afraid.

Posted via CB10
    moosbb likes this.
    11-16-15 10:55 AM
    BB10 is still years ahead of Android. Android requires a rewrite from the bottom up, it's just a mess. Maybe a decade ahead of Android, now that everyone is so entrenched in this OS. When are we going to see another properly design operating system? Not for a long time, I'm afraid.

Posted via CB10
    The bottom os Android is Linux are you saying that needs a rewrite?
    11-16-15 11:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Both Apple and Google could launch a new more modern OS.... the problem is both are smart enough to know that you don't abandoned your legacy users. Thus they have to make baby steps to improve what they have and bring everyone along....

Something that both BlackBerry and Microsoft failed to do.....
    11-16-15 11:15 AM
    Both Apple and Google could launch a new more modern OS.... the problem is both are smart enough to know that you don't abandoned your legacy users. Thus they have to make baby steps to improve what they have and bring everyone along....

Something that both BlackBerry and Microsoft failed to do.....
    Hey hey hey now.....you leave Microsoft out of this...lol

W10M was a complete rewrite, which threw a lot of things out of whack but I think it has a LOT of potential. They honestly should have just taken Lumia Camera, renamed it "Camera" and been done with it. Microsoft's attempt at replacing Lumia Camera is horrible.
    11-16-15 11:32 AM
    The bottom os Android is Linux are you saying that needs a rewrite?
    I believe Android is using a heavily modified Linux kernel. They're not the same, and it's a pretty radical fork. And it doesn't seem to be all that well optimized does it?

I'm not saying Linux needs a rewrite, though an RTOS like QNX seems more attractive to me. Just that Android is a terrible fork of Linux, performance-wise.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 11-16-15 at 04:54 PM.
    11-16-15 04:31 PM
    A certain percentage of people are never happy with anything mainstream - they will always choose a niche or an outsider product, and thrive off of the drama and arguments and such that come with such a choice - and will moan and cry when their niche product fails, only to choose another niche product and start the cycle all over again.

How many people have said "if BB10 dies, I'm going to [WinPhone|SailFish|Ubuntu|Firefox|Tizen|etc.]?" They could never be happy with a product that "just works" and is well-supported - there just isn't enough drama to keep things interesting for them, and they'll spend triple the amount of money "supporting" their niche product that does half of what mainstream products do because they have to be different.

That's just how it is.
    Couldn't said it better myself.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 06:04 PM
    I believe Android is using a heavily modified Linux kernel. They're not the same, and it's a pretty radical fork. And it doesn't seem to be all that well optimized does it?

I'm not saying Linux needs a rewrite, though an RTOS like QNX seems more attractive to me. Just that Android is a terrible fork of Linux, performance-wise.

Posted via CB10
    According to the following link the biggest changes from the vanilla kernel appear to be ipc and drivers.
    patch differences between android kernel and vanilla linux kernel - Stack Overflow

So all the various and sundry IPC methods that came along through the evolution of *nix systems have been replaced with binder.
    I don't know anything about binder but, I would give binder the benefit of the doubt until some evidence is presented to the contrary.

QNX is a micro-kernel RTOS that by design uses IPC for just a whole lot more stuff.
    QNX raw io throughput is naturally traded off by design for realtime scheduling guarantees and fault isolation.

I keep hearing about optimization.
    Optimization plays golf with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-16-15 06:32 PM
92 1234