With all the fuss (good or bad) over the Priv will BB10 just fade away? Android already sells more phones than any other OS, now that it's on BlackBerry hardware is there any reason to continue to offer BB10?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 12:23 AM
    I think a fade away is the likeliest scenario. Much like BBOS but probably faster since there are less BB10 handsets out there than there were BBOS handsets when BB10 launched. I intend to enjoy it while I can and when I finally have to move on see what else is on there. Probably either Windows phone or iOS.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, BB10QNX and CyberMan2013 like this.
    11-12-15 12:52 AM
    It depends on whether there will be enough demand to cover the costs of maintaining it. Considered that nowadays it's quite difficult to make money off handsets in general, even for established companies in the Android market, it's quite unlikely that BB10 will survive on the long run.

BB10 never really had a big market and with the switch to Android now, it is very likely that the user base will decrease even further, especially since BlackBerry probably won't put a focus on it anymore.

It is also known that John Chen has stated the intent to exit the handset business if it will not be profitable soon. In that regard, it is even more unlikely that he will run two branches of the business at once.

Of course this is not a short-term decision so we can still wait and see. I expect BlackBerry to even release some more BB10 hardware in the future, but I wouldn't bet on big plans being made with the OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 11:01 AM
    BB10 technology might be put on the shelf, but you never know where it might resurface.
    What if BlackBerry's plan was to give Google access to BB10 so that they could design the Android runtime? That way, you could theoretically have BB10 on any Google updated Android phone, no?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-12-15 01:30 PM
    I just hate to think of giving over my entire mobile life over to Android (aka) Google. I recently dumped all my Gmail accounts and moved to another email provider. I just want be able to communicate digitally without Google (and Facebook) tracking and recording everything I do. At least with BB10 I'm confident Google isn't buried in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 03:40 PM
    With all the fuss (good or bad) over the Priv will BB10 just fade away? Android already sells more phones than any other OS, now that it's on BlackBerry hardware is there any reason to continue to offer BB10?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. BlackBerry actually stopped any development work on the OS over a year ago. BB10 Developers in the know, recognized that BB10 was begin "Playbooked" a long time ago.
    11-12-15 04:19 PM
    Yes. BlackBerry actually stopped any development work on the OS over a year ago. BB10 Developers in the know, recognized that BB10 was begin "Playbooked" a long time ago.
    True.
    11-12-15 04:49 PM
    It turns into a pumpkin at midnight.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    11-12-15 05:37 PM
    I think the Playbook is the right analogy.. 10.3.3 will be the final update...there will be no more updates.. If you want to use it as a text/talk/email device only it will last as long as the hardware otherwise browser vulnerabilities and so on will render it less useful over the course of a year or two.
    11-12-15 06:25 PM
    It'll die a slow death like Web OS

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 07:04 PM
    Makes me sad mad.

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    11-12-15 07:10 PM
    It appears that this transition to Android was Chen's nefarious plan from the beginning of his tenure. I could never understand why BB10 devices were never really advertised or hyped. I never understood why the unique efficiencies of Peek and Flow were never touted. I hate to view the man as a saboteur, but now it makes sense. It's almost as if he set out to ensure that BB10 would fail, so as to make the adoption of Android seem like a necessity.

And on a slightly different point, why in the world do so many former BB10 users seem so excited about using the Priv--an Android phone? Is it merely because it bears a BlackBerry label, for by all accounts, the user experience is clearly Android and not BlackBerry? If they were so in need of Google Play Services apps, why weren't they using Android phones all along?

And if BlackBerry makes only Android phones, in the future, to me, that company would no longer be "BlackBerry," so I wouldn't care whether the company sank or swam, at that point. Why should I care whether BlackBerry is successful at selling Android phones? That would be of absolutely no benefit to me. So, in that case, I'd extend to BlackBerry exactly the same degree of loyalty I've seen them extend in various situations.

Timothius01
    11-12-15 08:30 PM
    It appears that this transition to Android was Chen's nefarious plan from the beginning of his tenure. I could never understand why BB10 devices were never really advertised or hyped. I never understood why the unique efficiencies of Peek and Flow were never touted. I hate to view the man as a saboteur, but now it makes sense. It's almost as if he set out to ensure that BB10 would fail, so as to make the adoption of Android seem like a necessity.

And on a slightly different point, why in the world do so many former BB10 users seem so excited about using the Priv--an Android phone? Is it merely because it bears a BlackBerry label, for by all accounts, the user experience is clearly Android and not BlackBerry? If they were so in need of Google Play Services apps, why weren't they using Android phones all along?

And if BlackBerry makes only Android phones, in the future, to me, that company would no longer be "BlackBerry," so I wouldn't care whether the company sank or swam, at that point. Why should I care whether BlackBerry is successful at selling Android phones? That would be of absolutely no benefit to me. So, in that case, I'd extend to BlackBerry exactly the same degree of loyalty I've seen them extend in various situations.

Timothius01
    I agree completely. Everything I have seen points to Chen wanting Android from the start and not even in the hardware. I think this is just to showcase BlackBerry software on other platforms. I don't think he understands the consumer and hardware market. The Priv is also meant to sell in low volumes and within 18-24 months or less, Chen will kill the hardware. He wants BlackBerry to be a software only company, except that that won't work either.
    11-12-15 08:37 PM
    I don't even develop for the platform. Just used to check the SDK status out of curiosity and it was getting pretty clear in q1 that development had halted.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-12-15 08:39 PM
    I think the Playbook is the right analogy.. 10.3.3 will be the final update...there will be no more updates.. If you want to use it as a text/talk/email device only it will last as long as the hardware otherwise browser vulnerabilities and so on will render it less useful over the course of a year or two.
    10.3.4 was promised but no timeline given. It likely won't be much but I expect BlackBerry will keep their word if at all possible.
    11-12-15 08:42 PM
    It's funny that the emphasis with the priv is privacy and privilege...two things bb10 has a leg up on when compared to Android...

This is really something. Fast and efficient. I'm really going to miss it.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:34 PM
    BB10 stays around for a long time still to appease loyal enterprise clients until the android runtime gets outdated as more apps will move to lollipop. Though that will be more like a trickle. It's unfortunate that BlackBerry had to do what they did to drive away loyal BB10 developers.

Posted via Manly Passport
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    11-13-15 07:44 AM
    Truth is they played the app game from the get go which was stupid. What was even more stupid was to count on premium apps to come their way on their own. Many of those premium apps have public APIs and what did BB did with it? Except FB, Twitter and LinkedIn they did absolutely nothing.
    Bluenoser63 and nuff_said like this.
    11-13-15 08:08 AM
    I just hate to think of giving over my entire mobile life over to Android (aka) Google. I recently dumped all my Gmail accounts and moved to another email provider. I just want be able to communicate digitally without Google (and Facebook) tracking and recording everything I do. At least with BB10 I'm confident Google isn't buried in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to. I mean, there's also Apple, Windows Phone, and there's also still BB10, as it will be for a while. If you really want to go with a niche there are also some options.

However, if you want to participate in the app game and if you want to be part of the newest tweaks there's no way around apple or Google. That's just the way it is. Yet, owning an Android phone doesn't mean you have to adapt the whole Google ecosystem. You can pretty much choose what you're willing to share.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 11:17 AM
    I think everyone would do well to remember the Palm, as in BB 10 is the new Palm. We got the shaft, again! When will we learn?

11-13-15 01:27 PM
    I think everyone would do well to remember the Palm, as in BB 10 is the new Palm. We got the shaft, again! When will we learn?
    A certain percentage of people are never happy with anything mainstream - they will always choose a niche or an outsider product, and thrive off of the drama and arguments and such that come with such a choice - and will moan and cry when their niche product fails, only to choose another niche product and start the cycle all over again.

How many people have said "if BB10 dies, I'm going to [WinPhone|SailFish|Ubuntu|Firefox|Tizen|etc.]?" They could never be happy with a product that "just works" and is well-supported - there just isn't enough drama to keep things interesting for them, and they'll spend triple the amount of money "supporting" their niche product that does half of what mainstream products do because they have to be different.

That's just how it is.
    11-13-15 08:07 PM
    I hear what you are saying but there are some of us who have tried all the options and prefer BB10. It's especially hard for me as I love messing around with the latest apps and hardware but also love BB10. Guess we will just see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 09:51 PM
    A certain percentage of people are never happy with anything mainstream - they will always choose a niche or an outsider product, and thrive off of the drama and arguments and such that come with such a choice - and will moan and cry when their niche product fails, only to choose another niche product and start the cycle all over again.

How many people have said "if BB10 dies, I'm going to [WinPhone|SailFish|Ubuntu|Firefox|Tizen|etc.]?" They could never be happy with a product that "just works" and is well-supported - there just isn't enough drama to keep things interesting for them, and they'll spend triple the amount of money "supporting" their niche product that does half of what mainstream products do because they have to be different.

That's just how it is.
    Interesting perspective; I never thought about it this way.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-15 11:00 PM

That's just how it is.
    I do not think you can generalize like that.

Since Android and IOS are such popular platforms many users on here (including myself) already have experience with these, whether from family hand-me-downs, or from company phones.

BlackBerry 10 has functions and apps that are not available on other platforms as well, so you cannot just generalize that BlackBerry 10 and other platforms "do less things".

If BlackBerry users were simply hipsters looking for niche products, they would not be using Windows or Macs at all.

And many of the users were also here when BlackBerry WAS the most popular smartphone.

So I do not think it is fair to say that BlackBerry users are just looking for outlier products.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by skstrials; 11-14-15 at 12:55 AM.
    anon(9188202) and BB10QNX like this.
    11-13-15 11:58 PM
    I do not think you can generalize like that.

Since Android and IOS are such popular platforms many users on here (including myself) already have experience with these, whether from family hand-me-downs, or from company phones.

BlackBerry 10 has functions and apps that are not available on other platforms as well, so you cannot just generalize that BlackBerry 10 and other platforms "do less things".

If BlackBerry users were simply hipsters looking for niche products, they would not be using Windows or Macs at all.

And many of the users were also here when BlackBerry WAS the most popular smartphone.

So I do not think it is fair to say that BlackBerry users are just looking for outlier products.
    Posted via CB10
    Troy said there's a certain percentage. If you're not in that group then ignore it.
    11-14-15 04:09 AM
92 123 ...