Hi, I know that standby puts the phone into some sort of "sleep" mode that is (AFAIK) the same as putting it into the holster. Or at least that's what I've always heard.

But, assuming that's true, how exactly does this mode differ from just letting the screen dim out? Besides having to push the mute key to get things going again. I mean in a technical sense. What's going on inside the phone?

The phone still gets calls, still receives messages, etc etc. in standby mode. So what--like I said, technically--is the difference between this mode and just letting the phone dim out?
    11-09-09 03:41 AM
    Keypad is rendered inactive in standby mode - no chance of pushing accidental or random buttons. And you might not have a holster and still want to have the device in standby mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 07:19 AM
    essentially no **** dialing
    11-09-09 07:22 AM
    how is standby mode different than keyboard lock?
    11-09-09 08:33 AM
    how is standby mode different than keyboard lock?
    From what I heard, keyboard lock simply locks the keyboard, and nothing more. Standby mode puts the phone into a low-power usage device, shutting off hardware in the phone that doesn't need to be used. I suppose it's like the difference between locking your PC and putting it in sleep/hibernate.
    11-09-09 08:36 AM
    Fail.

You guys are killing me. I know all this stuff already. I asked for the *technical* aspects of what's going on *inside* the phone.

Please, if you don't know the technical aspects of it, don't post just to hear yourself type.

Does anybody know how far down the processor speed is dropped? What things are turned off inside the phone? Whether the polling times are changed and by how much?

Things like that. Not the obvious ****.
    11-09-09 01:52 PM
    So sorry to have bothered you, samarai. I wasn't aware that the word "technically" has a specific meaning. Thank you for setting us right, boss.

If I may suggest, champ, perhaps this forum is too mundane for you. You are too sophisticated for us here, chief, asking questions that few are capable of grasping much less answering.

Also, sincerest apologies for not knowing what you already know, cowboy.
    11-09-09 03:21 PM
    LOL didn't mean to insult you guys. You're so sensitive. But it pisses me off when I spell out what I'm looking for in a response, and nobody bothers to take that into account. So many people post just to hear themselves talk.

"Technical" doesn't mean the silly BS that everyone on these forums already knows. It means -- if you know what's going on at a deep, technical level, please let us know. If not, don't.

thx anyway.
    11-09-09 03:32 PM
    You said "What's going on inside the phone?"

Mike said "Standby mode puts the phone into a low-power usage device, shutting off hardware in the phone that doesn't need to be used"

That answer was about as specific an as your question was. I guess that was just some more silly BS that everyone already knows though.

Thanks again for setting us straight about what 'technical' means. I always figured it was kind of a vague term that required a bit more context.

I don't think this board is for you (too much silly BS, etc.) Maybe you should go somewhere else. I mean, maybe that would make you a happier person.
    11-09-09 03:43 PM
    LOL if the mods tell me to go elsewhere, I will. Not some dude with 32 posts. But I think they'll know that I've contributed a ton here, creating wallpapers, ringtones, links to hard-to-find apps, plus intelligent, sometimes advanced discussion on a wide range of BB topics.

I was just hoping someone here could enlighten me on something I didn't already know. I'm still hoping someone does.

But you're right in a way.. I wish there were a technical forum that had tons of RIM devs on it. Now THAT would be a place for learning.
    11-09-09 03:47 PM
    What you want to know is probably stuff that RIM would keep from the public (and their competitors).

Were all your contributions part of the silly BS that everybody already knows? LOL just wondering
    11-09-09 03:55 PM
    my first ones were, but hopefully they've gotten more sophisticated. But I lurked here for awhile so I wasn't just contributing to the noise
    11-09-09 04:01 PM
    well i know for a fact when i hit the mute key theres and alarm that goes off and alerts a Bolivian fighting cricket in my phone who then shuts off several lil itty bitty switches, then when i hit the button again the same thing happens and the bolivian fighting cricket turns on the lil itty bitty switches
    11-10-09 02:17 PM
    well i know for a fact when i hit the mute key theres and alarm that goes off and alerts a Bolivian fighting cricket in my phone who then shuts off several lil itty bitty switches, then when i hit the button again the same thing happens and the bolivian fighting cricket turns on the lil itty bitty switches
    Features from bugs -- I love it.

11-10-09 02:31 PM
    Lmao

11-10-09 02:45 PM
    LOL knowing RIM I wouldn't be surprised.

But you didn't answer the question: What switches does the cricket flip????
    11-10-09 08:05 PM
    i just wish i could figure out how to dump the standby mode thing, and get the mute feature back.....
    11-10-09 08:17 PM
    All I know is it saves a ton of battery using it. Plus it prevents b*u*t*t dialing.
    11-10-09 11:45 PM
    You guys seriously put your phone in your back pocket?
    11-11-09 12:07 AM
    LOL knowing RIM I wouldn't be surprised.

But you didn't answer the question: What switches does the cricket flip????
    not my job not my problem.

ask the cricket
    11-11-09 06:27 PM
    Ya, stand-by mode lowers the level of battery usage put out by the phone, rather than just locking the key pad. Just like a computer
    11-11-09 06:47 PM
    by how much, percentage-wise?
    11-11-09 09:30 PM
    You guys seriously put your phone in your back pocket?
    No, it was a figure of speech. I either keep mine on a belt pouch or my front pocket, which it will still dial when I'm moving around doing everyday stuff.

by how much, percentage-wise?
    I would say if you keep it in standby most of the time it will increase battery life up to 75%. If I keep mine in standby all the time I can go 2 days easily.
    11-11-09 11:59 PM
    Also, sincerest apologies for not knowing what you already know, cowboy.
    Haha, nicely put... way to set it straight
    11-12-09 01:12 AM
    Haha, nicely put... way to set it straight
    yeah you tell 'im!
    11-12-09 02:19 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD