RIM's stock is not doing great, its at a 5 year low. RIM hasn't released a phone in awhile. But also keep in mind, they acquired a company to build the QNX OS, released a tablet, and have delayed new phones. They are attempting to break into the tablet market, which with smartphones are two growing markets.

I would not necessarily want to own RIM's stock at the moment with so much uncertainty, but what does any of that have to do with the functionality of BB smartphones? Not a damn thing.

So back to the topic of the OP, a few apps that are not practical is about all the BB platform is missing. It is also slightly slower in web browsing and behind the curve in tech specs, but still manages to pull off doing all the important stuff well with generally excellent keyboards and functionality.

Could we flip this. What can't iPhones do that BB's can? Obviously type on a real kb. No BBM, but iMessage is in the works. Can it share data without paying extra or jailbreaking? I am not even sure about that one? Can't do OTA dl's?
    06-30-11 08:31 PM
    And that thought process is exactly what is driving RIM to the ground. Smartphones are no longer mobile extensions of a computer. They are mobile computers!!!! Man you could work for RIM because the more you respond and defend RIM the more I want to go to a different platform(I kid....lol) But I am serious about the mobile computer deal though!!!
    People talk about what "they" want from a blackberry. But when u choose basic functions for your mobile device while the rest of the market wants more, especially considering that the competition is giving them more, then u have to remember that its those masses that keep a company afloat. So its great when i hear someone talk about how they are simple and just like email, texting, bbm, and security. But i then ask you, are you planning to give rim a few billion just so they can satisfy your basic mobility needs? If your not, then maybe you should stand aside and let those outcries win you more out of your blackberry, not the same, or less for that matter.

Imagine my boss wants to give me a raise and i say, no thank you, I'm happy with what i have!

That's the same idea here! Defenders try to drown out the cries for more! Its strange to be such a die hard supporter that doesn't even own a share of stock... Very strange!

Sent from my DINC2 using tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-11 01:02 AM
    People talk about what "they" want from a blackberry. But when u choose basic functions for your mobile device while the rest of the market wants more, especially considering that the competition is giving them more, then u have to remember that its those masses that keep a company afloat. So its great when i hear someone talk about how they are simple and just like email, texting, bbm, and security. But i then ask you, are you planning to give rim a few billion just so they can satisfy your basic mobility needs? If your not, then maybe you should stand aside and let those outcries win you more out of your blackberry, not the same, or less for that matter.

Imagine my boss wants to give me a raise and i say, no thank you, I'm happy with what i have!

That's the same idea here! Defenders try to drown out the cries for more! Its strange to be such a die hard supporter that doesn't even own a share of stock... Very strange!

There's such a thing as sustain ability in business. How long do you think this specs race can be sustained? How long before most android users become locked in contracts too for 2-3 years?
    What's the point of having laptop specs on a smartphone if you can't actually use it? Even a laptop is a bit awkward when doing intensive work, I still connect a mouse to it in such cases. I do my work on the laptop then transfer it to my BB for emailing later.
    Anyway, as it transpires, Rim just got their hands on the Nortel patents, good things will come.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 01:36 AM
    There's such a thing as sustain ability in business. How long do you think this specs race can be sustained? How long before most android users become locked in contracts too for 2-3 years?
    What's the point of having laptop specs on a smartphone if you can't actually use it? Even a laptop is a bit awkward when doing intensive work, I still connect a mouse to it in such cases. I do my work on the laptop then transfer it to my BB for emailing later.
    Anyway, as it transpires, Rim just got their hands on the Nortel patents, good things will come.

I got my first laptop 6 years ago. At the time, I was used to using a mouse. I was able to order a free accessory for the laptop and chose a mouse. By the time the mouse arrived in the mail (about 6 weeks later), I was used to the touchpad. Since then, I prefer using a laptop touchpad, rather than a mouse. Users can and will adapt to different technology.
    07-01-11 01:42 AM
    you really think RIMs losses and disadvantages to date are solely about device specs? Not at all!

So whats the point of laptop specs on a smart phone? Well... coming into a droid INC2, I can tell you that I have amlost done exactly that! I work on my device more than I work on my laptop! Aside from advanced photo editting, I now use my device to do about 85% of what I used to do on my laptop. So yea... even though BB is far behind, androids and iphones are doing laptop work already!

It may not exactly have laptop specs, but its definately does a good job of doing laptop work... surfing, purchasing, making travel plans, updating planners, getting email, checking blogs, facebook, twitter, photo and HD video and editting, watching netflix, youtube, and all the countless other things that can be done, and done fast, efficiant, and smoothly too
    07-01-11 01:47 AM
    I got my first laptop 6 years ago. At the time, I was used to using a mouse. I was able to order a free accessory for the laptop and chose a mouse. By the time the mouse arrived in the mail (about 6 weeks later), I was used to the touchpad. Since then, I prefer using a laptop touchpad, rather than a mouse. Users can and will adapt to different technology.
    Sure you can for normal things but when you're trying to edit lots of spreadsheets fast and efficient you need the mouse.
    I know I'm not alone on this as I visit many offices on my deliveries and I see most laptops with a mouse and some in a docking station and with a separate keyboard attached too.

It would take 2 days to do my invoices on any phone or even tablet, I can do it in a few hours on the laptop. Will I ever have the need to have 20 spreadsheets open in a phone and edit them? I don't thinks so.

07-01-11 01:51 AM
    Sure you can for normal things but when you're trying to edit lots of spreadsheets fast and efficient you need the mouse.
    I know I'm not alone on this as I visit many offices on my deliveries and I see most laptops with a mouse and some in a docking station and with a separate keyboard attached too.

It would take 2 days to do my invoices on any phone or even tablet, I can do it in a few hours on the laptop. Will I ever have the need to have 20 spreadsheets open in a phone and edit them? I don't thinks so.

I've edited spreadsheets and Visio network diagrams on a laptop. I have not used a mouse with a laptop in 6 years.
    07-01-11 01:54 AM
    I've edited spreadsheets and Visio network diagrams on a laptop. I have not used a mouse with a laptop in 6 years.
    So tell me this, in this 6 years how many laptops have you bought, were they the highest spec possible and what can your last one do that the one before couldn't?

07-01-11 03:08 AM
    Many of the features being touted on here are not exclusive to Android phones. Also how is that battery life on the Droid Incredible 2 there RicanMedic, it has got to be better than the Droid Incredible 1 which I know for a fact was god awful.

Keep in mind the Droid Inc2 is a fairly new phone, within 6 months, its tech specs will also look outdated. Almost everything you say your phone can do can also be done on a BB. Well except running flash sites, but I highly doubt those sites fit right or run well on a phone screen.

So while I am not knocking the Droid Inc2, much of what is being bragged about is not practical and the only actual improvements are in browser speed.

There has not been any big breakthroughs in smartphones in awhile, lately its just tech spec wars. But looking at practical and useful features, smartphones haven't changed much in the last couple of years. If anything these huge brick touch phones with all their advancements have killed battery life in phones and made things more difficult to type on.

I will agree though, RIM needs to get on the ball and release a new phone. But if it never has 2 cameras, Netflix apps, or farting apps, I really won't miss those things...
    07-01-11 10:22 AM
    So tell me this, in this 6 years how many laptops have you bought, were they the highest spec possible and what can your last one do that the one before couldn't?

I've purchased 1 more laptop. The newer one has 320 GB hard drive, rather than 60 GB hard drive. Memory on the newer one is 4 GB RAM, as opposed to 512 MB.

The newer one runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Office 2010 Professional 64-bit, has a webcam, has built in wireless a/g/b/n, HDMI port, Bluetooth, card reader, firewire port.
    07-01-11 11:08 AM
    I didn't see compass and accelerometer mentioned in the first 3 pages... They add a lot of functionality to an iPhone (wouldn't buy it for that though).

Anyone who says that ANY cell phone is a replacement for a true camera is a brain donor. My 4 year old Canon with 7.1 MP and 700p recording will blow out of the water any brand new device that claims 10 MP and 1080p recording. That's because cell phones will NEVER be able to carry the lenses that actually enable such high resolution capture, especially in any conditions other than under the bright noonday sun. Real cameras also don't suffer from the lag of trying to find the camera app in time and waiting for the phone to load it.
    07-04-11 10:21 AM
    I didn't see compass and accelerometer mentioned in the first 3 pages... They add a lot of functionality to an iPhone (wouldn't buy it for that though).

Anyone who says that ANY cell phone is a replacement for a true camera is a brain donor. My 4 year old Canon with 7.1 MP and 700p recording will blow out of the water any brand new device that claims 10 MP and 1080p recording. That's because cell phones will NEVER be able to carry the lenses that actually enable such high resolution capture, especially in any conditions other than under the bright noonday sun. Real cameras also don't suffer from the lag of trying to find the camera app in time and waiting for the phone to load it.
    Another thing phones don't have is optic zoom, digital zoom eats away at the quality.
    BB does have quick access to the camera via the side button however and you don't have to wait for it to start, double click it and point it in the right direction is all you have to do and it will focus and take the shot by itself, 3 seconds from sceen locked to shot taken.

Funny post on faceboot today right on topic

"Carrie Neely Art Can I ask any artists emailing work in for the cycle exhibition in September to remember it is a PROFESSIONAL high-end exhibition (no more iphone photos of bikes please!!!!), work needs to be available framed, and the event has a sports theme."

07-04-11 10:38 AM
    I am one of those crazy guys who buys a new phone every 3 months or so. I have bought pretty much every phone worth buying (iPhone, HTC HD2, WP7 HD7 x2, Vibrant x2, myTouch 4g, BB 9700 for some of the latest ones. I have learned something from this big waste of money; I want a phone to work well as a phone and a tablet to be a tablet. For this reason I am happy with a BB 9300.

See here if you want to see why:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/been...wp7-wm-627205/
    07-04-11 10:43 AM
    I am one of those crazy guys who buys a new phone every 3 months or so. I have bought pretty much every phone worth buying (iPhone, HTC HD2, WP7 HD7 x2, Vibrant x2, myTouch 4g, BB 9700 for some of the latest ones. I have learned something from this big waste of money; I want a phone to work well as a phone and a tablet to be a tablet. For this reason I am happy with a BB 9300.

See here if you want to see why:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/been...wp7-wm-627205/
    I am torn right now, I have 2 months left out of my contract with vodafone(well, one month as we always pay one month in advance) and the 9900 looks very apealing to me but also Carphone Warehaouse in uk are doing a deal at the moment, a deal so hard to resist, free 9300 and free PlayBook for �37 a month on a 24 months O2 contract.
    Having had a curve 8320 before I think I like the curve style keyboard better.

Decisions, decisions.

07-04-11 10:56 AM
    Actually many of the things brought up, Blackberries CAN DO, some other phones just do them minimally better. So yes, that IS irrelevant.

Some on here are acting now like bc an Android or iPhone 4 (since the other iphones didn't even have flash cameras) take pictures and Blackberries are incapable of it? Ummm... hello, BB phones can take pictures too! Its not something BB cannot do! But its relevant that the picture quality to any phone still falls waaay short of any real camera, so lets not act like these devices are high end cameras.
    Excellent point. If we're going to catalog things like this, there's needs to be a separate category for things (many) other phones do better (maybe), but the BB still does, like a camera.

Can Blackberry phones do these things? Nope. But does it matter? Not to me or anyone I know. Maybe someone with a bankrupt life wants to watch the superbowl on their phone, I will pass...
    Insulting people who find other things entertaining isn't helpful. Most of the people I know who have phones with these possibilities regularly use them. To be fair, most of them are under 30, but then...don't they matter?

DISCLAIMER: I value productivity over netflix, too. But that's not the point of this thread!

-Stephen
    07-06-11 01:44 PM
    It's set up the way it makes perfect sense to be set up. Mine and most people's blackberrys are mobile extensions of a computer, I don't need it to duplicate everything a computer does, it just needs to effortlessly keep me informed while I'm out and about and make it effortless for me to communicate with other people.
    One thing that is not effortless for me is keeping my contacts in sync. iPhones/iPads and Android can sync OTA with google contacts seamlessly, that doesn't work so well with a BB. I have to USB sync with my Mac to avoid corrupting my contacts data.
    07-06-11 01:51 PM
    One thing that is not effortless for me is keeping my contacts in sync. iPhones/iPads and Android can sync OTA with google contacts seamlessly, that doesn't work so well with a BB. I have to USB sync with my Mac to avoid corrupting my contacts data.
    Google contacts sync just fine OTA on blackberry, do it right from the begining and you'll be fine. You can also sync contacts from hotmail or yahoo mail.

07-06-11 01:55 PM
    Hey! If android or iPhone does "everything" (not some things) a little bit better, then isn't that compelling enough?

The fact is, all smart phones have "some capability" to do most things, but if that's the way you're going to rate a smart phone and leave out the important fact about who does it better, then that's not the smartest way to compare platforms if you ask me.

Sounds like your lowering the bar for blackberry, but still trying to use that same argument to say its equal

07-06-11 02:56 PM
    Google contacts sync just fine OTA on blackberry, do it right from the begining and you'll be fine. You can also sync contacts from hotmail or yahoo mail.

They do not sync just fine, at least not through BIS. Every contact gets duplicated and address fields on the BB get totally screwed up. iOS OTA syncing via EAS does not have this problem. The iOS email and calendar syncing works better too.
    07-06-11 03:14 PM
    They do not sync just fine, at least not through BIS. Every contact gets duplicated and address fields on the BB get totally screwed up. iOS OTA syncing via EAS does not have this problem. The iOS email and calendar syncing works better too.
    Start with a clean contacts list that will sync one way first and you'll not get duplicates. You can also you the google contacts feature that gets rid of duplicates.
    Also your duplicates might actually be a separate contact list. Go to contacts/menu/options/see how many contacts lists do you have.

07-06-11 04:03 PM
    Start with a clean contacts list that will sync one way first and you'll not get duplicates. You can also you the google contacts feature that gets rid of duplicates.
    Also your duplicates might actually be a separate contact list. Go to contacts/menu/options/see how many contacts lists do you have.

The duplicates do not appear in google only on the device. They appear to be caused, at least in part, by BIS putting the entire address on the first address field on the device. If the problem was just duplicates I would wipe the device address book, however the problems with the address fields have led me to stick with USB syncing for contacts which works well for the most part.

I don't have this problem with my iPad and I doubt an Android device would have the problem either.
    07-06-11 04:29 PM
    Are you attempting to sync via Google Sync or via BIS? Google Sync is well known for being buggy as all get out. BIS sync has been smooth sailing, sans having to delete and re-add the e-mail account after updating to the latest OS leak.
    BIS but I wouldn't call it smooth sailing.
    07-06-11 04:30 PM
    RicanMedic, its about prioritizing whats done better. Pretty much all smartphones released in the last few years can do all the important stuff, phone calls, texts, email, messaging, web browsing, etc.

Web browsing will always get faster as technology evolves, but phone calls, emails, texting is already about as good as its gonna get on most modern blackberries with almost no room for improvement. Also another practical feature, since most Blackberry phones do not tend to push tech limits, it appears their batteries tend to have a strong life to them, more important to me when I NEED to make a call than a farting app.

Not lowering the bar at all. Much of what is on this thread is splitting hairs in what one minor irrelevant feature one has over another.

Where Blackberry is weaker than Android and iPhone is in their apps. But like I mentioned earlier, much of them are bells and whistles that a user will use for a few minutes and move on, I think most people stick to a small number of useful apps they use every day, which Blackberries also have.

Simple things like BBM or just the ability to text on a QWERTY keyboard for me holds priority over Netlfix or NFL games on 3 inch screens, but thats just me. Different things matter more to different people. I will never get how watching a 2 hour movie on a little phone screen is a big deal, but others may disagree.

The QWERTY keyboard is huge for me, touch typing never felt natural to me and I refuse to use it. Its like a car that just fits a person, same thing with my Blackberry...
    07-06-11 08:32 PM
123 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD