For me, it is not that my BB doesn't do certain things. It is that it doesn't do them as well as the other platforms. Technology, in case anyone hasn't noticed, has been moving and innovating an lightening speeds for decades now. My BB (9700) is the equivalent of a circa-2002 laptop.

In terms of what it can't do in relation to other devices, a few examples would be:

1) A true point & shoot camera replacement
    2) A true camcorder/Flip video replacement
    3) A true GPS replacement
    4) A true mini-computer, complete with a suite of apps that can make my life more organized.

The iPhone and Android devices are all but wiping out the markets for point and shoot cameras, Flip video and regular old camcorders, stand alone GPS units, and stand alone cell phones, etc. Pretty soon, they'll wipe out the handheld gaming systems as well. These are all being converged into one small, electronic device. Combine those features with a mini-computer that can do, in scale, much of what we do/used to do on a laptop or desktop, and it is easy to see why our smartphones have become central to our lives. Apple and Android are closest to being there and doing all of the above in a straight forward way. Heck, even Windows Phone is doing a heck of a lot of that, even if it doesn't seem like the prettiest interface. RIM, on the other hand, does little of the above particularly well, and the user experience is not nearly as intuitive as the other makers.
    Well here's a news flash: there are a whole bunch of us that don't want all that stuff on our phones. My phone is a communication device, not my portable movie theater, not my game system, and certainly not my full-function home pc. What BlackBerry's currently deliver is exactly what many of us need in a phone, right out of the box, without the need to load a ROM or jailbreak it, and without the need for hundreds of thousands of apps. And I challenge your assessment of the intuitiveness of the BBOS user experience - I find it to be the most intuitive of all of them. The OS7 phones will just give it the kick in the pants that it needs. There's a really good chance I'm going to totally pass on whatever this new QNX superphone turns out to be, because it will far exceed anything I want or need or will ever use in a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 08:07 AM
    Get full e-mails. Truncated messages is why I had to give up my Blackberry.
    pcgizmo#IM and ADGrant like this.
    06-29-11 09:13 AM
    Get full e-mails. Truncated messages is why I had to give up my Blackberry.
    Oh c'mon....who doesn't love seeing "Message truncated due to size" ?? And the best part is that RIM can push that to you, no pulling involved
    Guatiao likes this.
    06-29-11 09:21 AM
    Well here's a news flash: there are a whole bunch of us that don't want all that stuff on our phones. My phone is a communication device, not my portable movie theater, not my game system, and certainly not my full-function home pc. What BlackBerry's currently deliver is exactly what many of us need in a phone, right out of the box, without the need to load a ROM or jailbreak it, and without the need for hundreds of thousands of apps. And I challenge your assessment of the intuitiveness of the BBOS user experience - I find it to be the most intuitive of all of them. The OS7 phones will just give it the kick in the pants that it needs. There's a really good chance I'm going to totally pass on whatever this new QNX superphone turns out to be, because it will far exceed anything I want or need or will ever use in a phone.

this thread is not about what YOU want or dont want. the question was about what bbs lack compared to other platforms. **** there was stuff i listed in my reply i dont need/want BUT that doesnt change the fact its available on other platforms.
    06-29-11 10:01 AM
    ActiveSync is the big one for corporate users with no BES access. BIS is like time traveling to the 90s and using POP and SMTP straight from a mail client. ActiveSync alone will make me switch if the Bold Touch and/or Torch 2 do not really wow me at release.

The web browser is big, as well. Forgetting Flash, there are still too many sites that don't work on BBOS that work great in QNX and Android (OS6 took the browser to such a level that I won't claim iOS is competitive here).
    I agree with you. The worst thing about using a Blackberry is BIS. Truncated emails are really annoying, slow syncing between my phone and gmail is also very annoying. Then there is the need for a special BIS data plan. Not a big deal in the US but when I travel to Europe and stick a pre-paid SIM in my BB, the phone is only good for calls and text messages.
    06-29-11 11:07 AM
    shoot HD videos
    play flash sites
    free turn by turn mapping with google maps
    wifi hotspot
    activesync calender, contacts and push mail
    LTE/4G
    extensive widget support
    netflix
    hulu
    3d capability
    extensive gaming and graphics rendering
    HDMI output
    DLNA capbilities
    app development for medical and other professions is also incredible in some fields

There is also jailbreak/root support with kernal and rom development.

granted some of these features will be on the upcoming BBs and the playbook has some support for these but i was comparing the current BB lineup with current iOS and android lineups
    I don't always agree with you. And sometimes I deeply believe you're deeply misguidedbut really when I read your list I can't disagree.
    Except for active sync. You're deeply misguided on active sync.
    06-29-11 11:53 AM
    "1) A true point & shoot camera replacement
    4) A true mini-computer, complete with a suite of apps that can make my life more organized."

How does the above not describe a blackberry?

06-29-11 11:59 AM
    What exactly does activesync do for a non corporate user?

06-29-11 12:02 PM
    I agree with you. The worst thing about using a Blackberry is BIS. Truncated emails are really annoying, slow syncing between my phone and gmail is also very annoying. Then there is the need for a special BIS data plan. Not a big deal in the US but when I travel to Europe and stick a pre-paid SIM in my BB, the phone is only good for calls and text messages.
    There are many apps and browsers that would work just fine for when you travel, no need for BIS example: Opera or Blot browsers, Logicmail for full imap email

06-29-11 12:05 PM
    "1) A true point & shoot camera replacement
    4) A true mini-computer, complete with a suite of apps that can make my life more organized."

How does the above not describe a blackberry?

You KNOW I didn't keep my Atrix. You KNOW I'm back to my well, well loved Torch. But the quality of the pictures and the video on the Atrix kills my Torch. I can't deny that.

As much as I prefer the BB OS, there are some things that are lacking.
    06-29-11 12:11 PM
    You KNOW I didn't keep my Atrix. You KNOW I'm back to my well, well loved Torch. But the quality of the pictures and the video on the Atrix kills my Torch. I can't deny that.

As much as I prefer the BB OS, there are some things that are lacking.
    Ah, but we're talking point to shoot camera, it's not all about the highest quality but also about how fast you can take it out of your pocket and have it ready to use.

I find the 9700 camera quite good, the Torch must be even better.

06-29-11 12:15 PM
    By the way, did any of you ever try a double click on the camera button? This will open the camera, focus and shoot right away without you having to do anything else, you just have to worry about pointing it in the right direction

06-29-11 12:19 PM
    Nah luv....Atrix still won. I had it sitting directly on my homescreen and it was literally tap, point, shoot. Same with video.
    The Torch is better than my 9700.
    06-29-11 12:19 PM
    I don't always agree with you. And sometimes I deeply believe you're deeply misguidedbut really when I read your list I can't disagree.
    Except for active sync. You're deeply misguided on active sync.
    hahaha, the thing about activesync is it give so much over BIS. I just feel BIS is so limiting. I remember times on BIS if i deleted an email of the phone or something happened and phone database was corrupt that i couldnt get emails back on my phone unless i remailed them to myself basically. I had to sync with outlook to keep my contact database up to date, same with calendar. With activesync you dont have to worry about any of it because its all always update and sync. i dont ever have to sync with outlook since its already taken care of. BIS has become a little better but there is still no folder support nor syncing of contacts and calendar except for a couple cases. Until BIS steps it up and has the same basic feature set that BES does it just wont cut it IMO.
    06-29-11 12:21 PM
    Nah luv....Atrix still won. I had it sitting directly on my homescreen and it was literally tap, point, shoot. Same with video.
    The Torch is better than my 9700.
    How is that better then double click and point from anywhere within the phone? Even as I type this I can do it. From within the browser I have a photo in 3 seconds.

06-29-11 12:26 PM
    good post, but BB is lacking god dam IMAP support for folders!!! if only one day they would do that, i know i'm going to get comments from people saying the reason why they don't and all i can is......yeah yeah yeah all other platforms do it!
    06-29-11 12:31 PM
    good post, but BB is lacking god dam IMAP support for folders!!! if only one day they would do that, i know i'm going to get comments from people saying the reason why they don't and all i can is......yeah yeah yeah all other platforms do it!
    BB does have folders for Gmail and for the rest, there's an app for that, it's called Logicmail.

06-29-11 12:33 PM
    this thread is not about what YOU want or dont want. the question was about what bbs lack compared to other platforms. **** there was stuff i listed in my reply i dont need/want BUT that doesnt change the fact its available on other platforms.
    Well pardon me all to he11 for straying a little bit off topic. God knows nobody else ever injects their personal preference where it's not asked for.

06-29-11 12:43 PM
    . . . However, for Blackberry to stay at the forefront, it can't afford to be just a phone/e-mail/text device.
    Sadly, I think this is the real answer. Back when I started using BB (7105t), there weren't that many around and the potential for enhancing my productivity was tremendous. BB was not a consumer product, it was a business product. Smartphones, however, have become consumer products and the will and wishes of the masses are now driving the market. The things we long-time users love about our Berries is going to be swallowed up in the race to sell to the masses. We can all understand that, but it's still hard to swallow. (I also miss my PalmOS devices and Graffiti ). An Android or iPhone type phone is in all our futures, like it or not, even if RIM makes it.
    06-29-11 03:41 PM
    Difference between a VHS tape and Blu-Ray, or an old Windows 95 machine and a brand new laptop. It does them, just not particularly well. Have you ever used the iPhone camera? Now THAT is a true replacement. And, I'm not really an Apple person.
    Sure, it will look like it takes better pictures then a blackberry as it has that large high quality screen but once you put them on the computer I doubt it will be better then a Torch or 9780.

06-29-11 04:07 PM
    This guy loves the blackberry camera:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/mobile-...medium=twitter

Couldn't be that bad then.

06-29-11 04:24 PM
    Have you ever compared them? My wife has an iPhone 4, and there is no comparison... and it's not just MPs.
    No, I don't have an iphone 4 but plenty people made the comparing on the net. Have you tried the 9780? You seem to have a 9700 just like me.
    06-29-11 05:19 PM
    And that's fine. However, as evidenced by the direction in which the mobile market and it's consumers are headed, you're definitely in the minority. And, there is nothing wrong with that. However, for Blackberry to stay at the forefront, it can't afford to be just a phone/e-mail/text device.
    I'm catching a lot of crap for that post, and maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but I don't care. I do hope I'm in the minority and that a lot of people do want a do-it-all phone sporting a BlackBerry logo -- that's what all the experts have been saying. But I do know that there are others like me who like the functionality in the current BB's and just want it kicked up a little, and BB7 is going to fit the bill very nicely.

Ok, I apologize in advance for straying off-topic again, and I promise I won't do it again. Much.
    06-29-11 06:18 PM
    The camera issue? My BB Torch has 5 MP camera, the exact same as an iPhone 4. Also up until the iPhone 4, previous iPhones had no flash cameras. 5MP is about standard for smartphones these days.

Many of the top Android phones have 8MP cameras though, which do take better pictures. I would like to see BB step up its game with 8MP cameras, but 5MP is adequate, not exactly a flaw. Its just nitpicking really.
    06-29-11 06:57 PM
    there isnt anything wrong with the 5MP, MP arent everything. There are many other things in a camera like the lense and such that decide how good the quality is
    06-29-11 07:04 PM
123 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD