I will lead by admitting to my own laziness & lack of drive to research and sift through the information of this forum and separate facts from opinion and rumours from trolling, however I do not have the time.

I'm due for an upgrade on Sprint. I currently have a Bold 9930, and I love it. I'm looking at getting a Q10.

Is it worth holding out until the Q30? [I know that this is opinion]
    Is blackberry still even going to be around in a year?
    I mostly worry about if it will still be functional down the road until the next upgrade, otherwise I'll be at the sprint store looking dumb with them scratching their heads saying "there is literally no way you couldn't have known."

tl;dr wanna buy a q10/30, worried bbry will be shut down, what do?
    12-31-13 04:33 PM
    No, BBRY won't be shut down, imo.

You could also consider the Z30. I love mine and the virtual keyboard on the Z devices is just terrific. And this is from a guy who swore he'd never use an onscreen keyboard as long as there was a BB around with a physical one. I love it!
    Regardless, you'd have to buy a Z30 at full retail and unlock it, so it might not be a consideration for you anyway.

It's all speculation based on several rumours out there, but I'd imagine you'll have to wait 6 months for next higher-quality qwerty BB10 device. I'd get the Q10 now, were I in your position.
    TheAnalogkid likes this.
    12-31-13 04:42 PM
    I will lead by admitting to my own laziness & lack of drive to research and sift through the information of this forum and separate facts from opinion and rumours from trolling, however I do not have the time.

I'm due for an upgrade on Sprint. I currently have a Bold 9930, and I love it. I'm looking at getting a Q10.

I mostly worry about if it will still be functional down the road until the next upgrade, otherwise I'll be at the sprint store looking dumb with them scratching their heads saying "there is literally no way you couldn't have known."

if I had to decide between an unknown and a here and now, I would choose the here and now

That applies to the Q10.

As to whether BlackBerry will be around in a year, honestly, that is an unknown. But if you like the device, you should know that support, even if it's from the development community independent of BlackBerry, will continue to come.

Now.....I just bought a Q10 and it should arrive Thursday. I bought it here, in the Marketplace, simply because I do not currently have an upgrade available. My suggestion is to browse the Marketplace to see what is available.

If you really don't like taking chances, then you've got a difficult decision that must be your own. But, if you don't mind a certain amount of risk, you could go for a Q10.

One thing I do know - I would not wait for a Q30. There is no definitive date on that.
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-31-13 04:44 PM
    Go for the Q10 or Q5 if you like that one too.

The cost of purchasing phones is not high, compared to the cost of owning and operating a vehicle.

So consider getting a Z10 too. No need to put a SIM card into it. Just use it.

I got a z10 in February, and a z30 in December.

Before then, I got a Razr in 2008. For me, it was clear. I didn't want the other OS's when I got around to buying new in 2013.

One year is a short time frame. BlackBerry like any company can last a long time even if it suffers from the worst problems. If you had asked me about a time frame of two years from now, I would say that you are thinking about risk in a realistic way. What happens between now and January 2016 is a lot more difficult to predict in terms of BlackBerry's success, or future. But, legacy support is always a question, regardless of the company.

BlackBerry phones are good for you, (based on the post you wrote.). Migrating to another phone in 2016 is not a problem if you shall want to migrate. My opinion.

BTW, I have apple computers so I cannot install the latest BlackBerry OS, 10.2.1...., (known as a "leak" which is a way of going around the carriers). To install the leak one needs a Windows computer.
    Last edited by Davidro1; 12-31-13 at 05:56 PM.
    12-31-13 05:44 PM
    Get the Z30. It is amazing.
    12-31-13 06:19 PM
    I love mine and the virtual keyboard on the Z devices is just terrific. And this is from a guy who swore he'd never use an onscreen keyboard as long as there was a BB around with a physical one. I love it!
    Regardless, you'd have to buy a Z30 at full retail and unlock it, so it might not be a consideration for you anyway.
    I have the same exact sentiments about the keyboard, and I didn't mind the playbook keyboard [had it for awhile until it was stolen], but as you said, even if I wanted to try it it's at full retail as opposed to 100-150$, and I am but a college student.

if I had to decide between an unknown and a here and now, I would choose the here and now
    Now.....I just bought a Q10 and it should arrive Thursday. I bought it here, in the Marketplace, simply because I do not currently have an upgrade available. My suggestion is to browse the Marketplace to see what is available.

One thing I do know - I would not wait for a Q30. There is no definitive date on that.
    I suppose I just needed some assurance that I'm not going to spend a chunk of money on a piece of metal & silicon if something with better numbers is going to be replacing it soon.

Go for the Q10 or Q5 if you like that one too.

The cost of purchasing phones is not high, compared to the cost of owning and operating a vehicle.

So consider getting a Z10 too. No need to put a SIM card into it. Just use it.

I got a z10 in February, and a z30 in December.

Before then, I got a Razr in 2008. For me, it was clear. I didn't want the other OS's when I got around to buying new in 2013.

One year is a short time frame. BlackBerry like any company can last a long time even if it suffers from the worst problems. If you had asked me about a time frame of two years from now, I would say that you are thinking about risk in a realistic way. What happens between now and January 2016 is a lot more difficult to predict in terms of BlackBerry's success, or future. But, legacy support is always a question, regardless of the company.

BlackBerry phones are good for you, (based on the post you wrote.). Migrating to another phone in 2016 is not a problem if you shall want to migrate. My opinion.

BTW, I have apple computers so I cannot install the latest BlackBerry OS, 10.2.1...., (known as a "leak" which is a way of going around the carriers). To install the leak one needs a Windows computer.
    I love me some blackberry, I've been using their phones for 6 years and don't plan to migrate anywhere until I have to, which it seemed like was the case. My recent lurkings here I saw a few mentions of "uh-oh earnings report is coming srsbizness" so I worried about the future.
    I detest Apple, so my migration would be to a shiny Galaxy or Windows phone because I can't really find much in terms of an 'upgrade' with a keyboard, which really is what I want. I will continue to ride this train till the bitter end.

Leave Sprint. Buy a Z30 off Amazon and use it on T-Mobile. You will be extremely happy. Make sure to install 10.2.1.1925.
    Absolutely not, haha. I have the privilege of my dad paying my phone bill, so currently Sprint for free is [technically] infinitely better than any service upgrade for more money. I am also pretty attached to the keyboard.

For what it's worth, Blackberry has never let me down. I hate social media, so I could give a damn about snapchat, I hate mobile gaming, because I have a decent laptop & PS4 to waste time on.
    My phone has always, always been needed to be a powerhouse in terms of communication, because that's what I use it for almost exclusively, and in that regard, nothing could have made me happier.
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-31-13 06:29 PM

Jawnie5, I am a fellow Sprint BB user, and let me tell you the Q10 is an amazing phone. i wondered how i would do going back to a QWERTY phone from the 9850, but i have had no troubles adapting. the Q10 is a workhorse phone, and has never failed me in the month that i have had it. if you get it you won't be disappointed.
    12-31-13 07:34 PM
    I'm can tell you right now, Q10 is worth the purchase. I've had mine going on three weeks now. It's flawless typing and easy gesturing make it second to none. It's also a very accessible phone and all apps and features are neatly organized.

I wouldn't wait for the Q30 if there is such a thing. If you want a great communications phone (BBM, call, and texting) the Q10 is great. I'm in Louisiana and I call my mom everyday and I've yet to have a dropped call. I'm also on Sprint and I'm under the impression that they don't carry the Z10 or Z30.

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with my Q10. I suggest you purchase one before it becomes outdated.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-31-13 07:58 PM
    If money is non issue, z30.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 08:42 PM
    Z10 with newest leak. Keyboard and LCD screen is awesome. Great size for one hand usage

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    12-31-13 08:54 PM
    If money is non issue, z30.

Posted via CB10
    money is always an issue;
    i don't care for a virtual keyboard, i do too much typing without looking which is next to impossible with a virtual board.

EDIT: as it stands, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading tomorrow if the store is open.
    thanks to everyone for the opinions from both sides, i'm excited to finally join the ranks of BB10 soon.
    Last edited by Jawnie5; 12-31-13 at 09:04 PM. Reason: white people.
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-31-13 08:55 PM
    So uh..what do I do? [due for an upgrade]-img_00000001.jpgI regret nothing.

Posted via CB10
    jrohland, Elite1 and canuckvoip like this.
    01-02-14 01:35 PM

I recommend you handle the BlackBerry Q5 and Q10 before deciding on the latter without knowing how it feels in your hands.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Elite1 likes this.
    01-02-14 06:24 PM
    money is always an issue;
    i don't care for a virtual keyboard, i do too much typing without looking which is next to impossible with a virtual board.

EDIT: as it stands, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading tomorrow if the store is open.
    thanks to everyone for the opinions from both sides, i'm excited to finally join the ranks of BB10 soon.
    What did you buy? Oh the BlackBerry Q10 I just noticed. How do you like it?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    01-02-14 06:26 PM