Got a BB 9700 off ebay a few months ago and its been working fine until this past week were calls n messages couldnt be made but net works, phoned my uk network and they told me its been blacklisted without giving a reason, so guys whose been here and has overcome this and got there bb un-blacklisted?? Maybe a proof of ebay purchase could help?
    10-29-10 06:41 PM
    Was it new or used? If used its most likely stolen.
    10-29-10 06:42 PM
    Even if you provided proof that you bought it, RIM/ nor your provider will be able to do anything for you. Even though you were honest and paid for your blackberry, it was probably a stolen unit and was still most likely reported as stolen.

The only way to get a BlackBerry off the blacklist is to provide proof of purchase (I believe).

So if you do not have the original receipt, I think you're out of luck buddy
    10-29-10 06:55 PM
    This is why I don't buy used phones. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago with a LG Dare. Spent $300 on eBay for it only to have it blacklisted a year later after continuous usage. Sad thing is most people are honest, but there is ALWAYS that one person that isn't, and you just have no way of knowing if the seller is that one person or not, regardless of feedback.
    10-29-10 07:35 PM
    Stolen or the person didn't pay their bill.
    10-29-10 07:36 PM
    Proof of eBay purchase will only confirm you purchased lost or stolen equipment.

Lol.....
    10-29-10 07:54 PM
    Proof of eBay purchase will only confirm you purchased lost or stolen equipment.
    Lol.....
    Right. It proves your transaction was probably honest, the phone still wont work.
    10-29-10 08:19 PM
    Idk what's going on with the phone but its not because it was lost or stolen. If that was the issue it would never have been able to be turned on in the first place. I would call back and ask exactly what blacklisted means and then try posting here again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 09:04 PM
    Yeh this is the thing i don't get, since it was purchased, i've had it working without any issues for the past 3 months. surely if it was a stolen phone then the original owner would have reported it immediately? Another weird thing is that my BBM still works! I will contact the network and see if they can reveal more and keep you guys posted.
    10-30-10 12:13 PM
    It may not have been actually stolen. But it may have been REPORTED AS STOLEN. Or the previous owner could have skipped out on the bill. Or it could have been a demo unit released by RIM that was never intended to be released to the public. Or the previous owner could have just recently reported it (fraudulently) as being stolen. And perhaps the system is just catching up with it now.

Or maybe it's a mistake.

You should call the carrier back and find out WHY it is blacklisted.
    10-30-10 03:17 PM
    That's not the way it works. I sell both sprint and at&t and we run into this all the time. The esn of the phone is attached to an account. It can't be added to another account until its removed from the first account. Even if the account is closed it stays on the account until bill is paid off. The only ways to have it removed from the account are: claim as lost or stolen which would not allow activation, replace with another phone or cancel the account.

If the phone was activated at any time then it was clear. There is an issue on the carriers side. If it can't be resolved then the carrier needs to replace it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 04:41 PM
    As far as I know, you won't be able to use it in the country the phone originated from! I think you have to send it out. But remember it is illegal to do that as your handling stolen/lost equipment. Try contacting the ebay user?
    10-30-10 05:45 PM
    Yeh this is the thing i don't get, since it was purchased, i've had it working without any issues for the past 3 months. surely if it was a stolen phone then the original owner would have reported it immediately? Another weird thing is that my BBM still works! I will contact the network and see if they can reveal more and keep you guys posted.
    I see you are a UK user, so this is a GSM device and the account ties don't apply - that is mainly CDMA devices on Verizon. A GSM phone is identified only by the SIM which happens to be installed at the time. However, there is one exception - stolen phones, which are identified by the phone's hard coded IMEI. It is unlikely that this is a RIM blacklist of pre-release test or demo devices because these are usually blocked by PIN, and the data side is killed but the voice still works.

If the phone (handset, not your SIM) is IMEI blacklisted then it is almost certainly on the UK database of stolen phones. Apart from very rare cases of malicious reporting or human error, phones are almost never released from the list. Blacklist is for life.

My advice is to test with a different SIM and see if the voice service recovers. That will prove whether the block is against the handset or the SIM - but I'm pretty sure it is the handset, and your SIM will work in another phone. If that is the case your only hope is to be able to locate the guy who sold it to you, and report to police for either selling a stolen phone, or fraud (false theft report for insurance claim). It is likely you won't have a current address so that's a long shot, and you probably have to take the loss and buy a new phone. Don't be surprised it worked for a year, the smart scammer allows time for the victim to lose any contact info before reporting the phone stolen and claiming the insurance. It reduces the seller's risk of having cops at the door, and ebay/paypal won't be interested after such a long delay.
    10-30-10 06:10 PM
    Sim indeed works on other phones.

Is it worth me going into the store with this handset and talking about the blacklist? Any risk going in there, given that it could be a stolen phone off ebay?
    11-12-10 06:15 AM
    My old 9530, yes my Storm 1, had a sim card slot.
    11-12-10 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD